Red Pony Restaurant
408 Main Street
Franklin, TN 37064Neighborhood:
Franklin / Brentwood
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Red Pony Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://redponyrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6155957669
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason McConnell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer services for all occasions from weddings to corporate events. We can accommodate service for forty to four hundred. Specialized menus can be designed for all occasions with considerations for dietary and special needs.
- Private Party Facilities: Red Pony Restaurant offers an upscale atmosphere and professional service without the white gloves in Historic Downtown Franklin. From a rehearsal dinner to private company function, Red Pony can accommodate any type of event or party. Private events at Red Pony can range from heavy appetizers for organized social gatherings to seated formal diners. Food for your private event is not confined to our menu but limited menu selections are required. There are multiple spaces available to reserve including a second floor patio for 30 guests. The upstairs dining room can seat 60 guests but if you're looking for a smaller space we have the ability to split the dining room with a floor to ceiling privacy separator. The entire restaurant or upstairs (includes upstairs dining room, deck & cocktail lounge)are also available for private events. There is a food and beverage minimum to reserve a private space. For minimums and additional details please contact our Catering Concierge
- Private Party Contact: Kari Mauk 6155956070
A word from Red Pony Restaurant
With two floors of casual fine dining (as well as an outdoor deck), Red Pony Restaurant has clearly become the favorite destination for great food on Franklin's historic Main Street. Chefs Jason McConnell and Carl Schultheis have teamed up to create a fun, wide ranging menu utilizing the freshest locally grown produce, meats and seafood. The two chefs have worked together for six years and their diverse cooking styles appear in new items daily. Voted "Best New Restaurant 2006" by Southern Exposure Magazine, Red Pony's eclectic menu has been called "skillful in its simplicity while intriguing in its worldliness."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Red Pony Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Franklin / Brentwood ›
Red Pony Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
197 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (133)fit for foodies (128)neighborhood gem (106)romantic (85)notable wine list (61)hot spot (47)good for groups (33)vibrant bar scene (32)late-night find (12)great for outdoor dining (11)scenic view (4)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/20/2014Wonderful, creative menu and fabulous food. Highly recommend... and I am super picky!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Pony Franklin, TennesseeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014I took a group of college roommates to the Red Pony and we all loved our food. I had the grouper and it was fantastic! Some of the others had Shrimp and Grits, which is a restaurant favorite, and thought that was very good. Our waiter Jeremiah was very nice and helpful with our selections.We would definitely return again and try different dishes.Special Features:
- A Franklin CenterpieceMVNashvilleVIPDined on 10/16/2014If you are visiting Franklin, this is a great place to have a relaxing dinner. The food is uniquely tasty and service is southern friendly. Be sure to try the signature variety bread basket with dipping oils and butters. The elk dish is full of flavor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & great service!KevinDined on 10/13/2014I brought three out of town business guest in and we had a great service and a wonderful meal! I would highly recommend!!Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014Food was superb! Our waiter was the best waiter we have ever had. He said he had only worked there four or so months. I felt like he was extremely knowledgeable of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to take out-of-townersCarolDined on 10/11/2014Super restaurant - downtown Franklin. Service a little slow. Could not get time I wanted on Open Table, so called them and they worked us (Seniors) at an earlier time. We were too early even then, but walked around the downtown area where there was a lot of activity for people watching. Got in right on the time we had changed to.Special Features:
- Great service and dinnerGregBDined on 10/10/2014My wife and recently dined at The Red Pony Celebrating our anniversary and had a great experience. We shared a quail and biscuits appetizer with blackberry and jalapeño preserves which was excellent. I had the dry aged ny strip that was cooked perfectly. My wife enjoyed the beef medallions. The chocolate martini with the Creme brûlée for dessert was delicious. A wonderful night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and service!!LandPDined on 10/10/2014We had a fabulous experience! Our server was knowledgable and attentive. The food was amazing. We want to try their other restaurants next time we are in Nashville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved our evening at the Red PonyKatydidDined on 10/8/2014The cocktails were unique and very good. The food was perfect as well as the service. I brought a friend from out of state and he loved every detail of this place. I had requested a table near the window into the kitchen and we were given the best seats in the house. Every person we met was courteous and delightful. We could not have asked for better on any level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENTWINKSTERDined on 10/8/2014GUACAMOLE FABULOUS AS WAS THE SPECIALTY MARTINIS; MY FAVORITE IS THE "FRENCH KISS" PEAR FLAVORED. IF YOU LIKE SHRIMP AND GRITS THIS IS THE PLACE. THE BEST!Special Features:
- Wonderful Anniversary DinnerSilverFoxDined on 10/8/2014Our 1st visit to the Red Pony was delightful. I mentioned that it was our anniversary in the reservation form. We were given a table overlooking Main Street. As it was our 1st visit, we were given a delicious appetizer consisting of grits-based gnocci. My husband had the beef tournados & I had the shrimp & grits. We each had a side of grilled asparagus which was ample enough for 2 to share. Our meals were prepared to perfection. We split a dessert of the coconut cream cake. My only complaint is that the cake was refrigerated, but I have had similar cakes in other restaurants & this is par for the course. I wish there were a way to know (remember ahead of time) that it's chilled & ask to have the chill taken off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceLadyDined on 10/7/2014We had a wonderful anniversary dinner with delicious and imaginative food and great service. We'll be back for future occasions.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!NashVegasFoodieDined on 10/7/2014We started off our evening at the bar for a few happy hour drinks and the bar tender was fast, friendly, and very knowledgeable of not only the wine and mixed drinks, but the food and the restaurant in general. The two hostess' were friendly and welcoming! Our server was prompt and suggested a tasty appetizer, quail and biscuits. I enjoyed the Elk Medallions and my wife said her Beef Tournedos were delicious! It was a perfect evening to sit outside on the second floor patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itNotFussyDined on 10/4/2014Only one out of six in our party raved about his meal (pork remoulade.) Two of us ordered shrimp and grits and both agreed the dish was overwhelmingly greasy or buttery. I could not believe how skimpy they were with the grits. I make this better myself at home and believe me, I am no chef. One couple shared a $35 steak which was ordered medium well and was served to them raw in the middle. It had to be sent back. We are not fussy and demanding people, but we certainly expected more from this highly rated restaurant. Also, it took around two hours from ordering to leaving.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014Great food. Great service. Great staff. Great restaurant!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Outstanding food and very good service. Small focused menu that takes advantage of seasonal local farm products.Special Features:
- Good restaurant!TCashionDined on 10/3/2014Not that familiar with the Franklin dining scene, but we wound up at the Red Pony via online research. Was not too keen on the name, but the menu looked good, so we took a chance. We were not disappointed. Great bar and bartender (Steph, I believe). We were seated upstairs - they have an upstairs bar, too! - and the food and service were excellent. Only minor complaint is that cool weather was coming in, and the A/C in the restaurant was blowing right on our table periodically. Left us a bit chilly, but we were able to slide around to minimize the effect. Still a very fine dining experience, and would definitely go there again!Special Features:
- Not Again!!!foodygDined on 10/3/2014We went there 2 years ago and our order was lost. Went there again recently, and again, our order was lost(i.e. forgotten to be turned into chef). We waited and waited. I just cannot believe it happened to us the only 2 times we have dined there. The management and waitress were very nice about it all-taking our appetizer off the bill and apologizing. I had heard the shrimp and grits was outstanding, so that's what I ordered. It was so salty that it ruined the meal. That's never happened to me at a restaurant. The artichoke risotto was very bland. I tasted my husband's grouper and it was just ok. Their bread very good. The atmosphere is very upbeat and trendy.Special Features:
- AwesomeBESTDined on 10/2/2014From our waiter, Brian, to our food, and the ambiance, I could have not asked for a better dinner experience, overall. This was the restaurant where I asked my girlfriend to marry me. To be honest, I was really worried about how the experience was going to be. Although I only saw great reviews for this restaurant, I know less things have happened to people (going to a restaurant to propose and have it be the worse experience, ever). So, I was praying about this the entire week, leading up to the big night. God truly answered my prayer to make this a positive and enjoyable experience and he used Michael, the manager, and Brian, the waiter, to make it happen. Glory to God -- ALWAYS and a HUGE thank you to Brian and Michael.Special Features:
- Sep 27, 2014JimSDined on 9/27/2014Excellent service. Restaurant is a find for a little town like Franklin. Must have on the menu: calamari. It is more like sweetbreads. Elk medallions are excellent as well.Special Features:
- First timeTomPDined on 9/27/2014This was our first time to Red Pony. We had sushi for an appetizer, shrimp with grits and filet with twice baked potatoes for entrees. Everything was delicious and cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedLee664Dined on 9/27/2014Made reservations based on reviews on Trip Advisor. Do not understand the high ratings. All four of us thought the food was only average and service was not impressive. We were disappointed.
- Enjoyable MealJackDined on 9/27/2014Went to dinner on a Saturday night with a group of friends. I was surprised by the design of the place. It has a pretty fun modern red themed interior that gave it a slightly edgy feel (I mean that in a good way). The food was excellent. I ate lamb cutlets and was very happy with my meal. I can't remember what my friends had but their comments were all quite complimentary as well. Drinks wise I had a Moscow Mule that was pretty tasty. Service was excellent - and one thing I REALLY liked was how often they filled my water glass up. All in all I had a great time at the Red Pony and would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Great romantic atmosphereSbragwellDined on 9/27/2014The night started with very courteous service by the hostesses. Next the bartender was very friendly even though he was very busy. Next our waitress was great very informative, just enough visits to make sure we were ok. Then the food. The elk was awesome. The grilled bacon app was delicious. I will definitely go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not excellentMelysheaDined on 9/27/2014The food was good. We had reservations a week in advance and they still sat us by the bathroom. The service was subpar for restaurant at this price. Overall I would go back one more time to take my wife. It will not be somewhere that I recommend as a place to splurge.Special Features:
- Fantastic dinner!JenniferHutzel23Dined on 9/27/2014My husband and I very much enjoyed our dining experience at The Red Pony! We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and they took it upon themselves to make us feel the love! The food was excellent and the staff was terrific! The crème brulee was outstanding! We will definitely be back!!!Special Features:
- always goodLisauDined on 9/25/2014Out of town guests loved the place. Food was fantastic. Waiter had an outside table keeping him busy but did an OK job getting to us. Yumm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre - UnfortunatelyrlnashVIPDined on 9/20/2014Disappointed on our last visit there. Guacamole was too salty. Salad dressing was watery. Main was just ok. It is too expensive for mediocrity - especially when compared to the new restaurants who are killing it in Nashville. Love the setting upstairs and the service is always very good.Special Features:
- OutstandingpenderhDined on 9/20/2014This was our second visit to Red Pony. As before, there was nothing we put in our mouths that we didn't love. We started out with the lamb chops appitizer. The pesto was the kicker. Next, my wife and I split abowl of crab bisque and a tomato salad which were both phenominal. My wife had the shrimp and grits and I had a filet with cheddar mashed potatoes. The filet had a wood smokey taste and was cooked perfectly. We also had a bottle of reisling wine which was fantastic. The ambiance and decour our really nice. The wait staff is outstanding. I just can't say enough good things or use enough positive adjectives to describe how great our dinner was. 5 stars and highly, highly recommend!Special Features:
- Good food and servicetnjohnDined on 9/20/2014I made the restaurant aware that we were celebrating our anniversary when I made the Open Table reservation, and this was acknowledged by the waitress when she brought the menus. Shortly after bringing our drinks, she brought us a small appetizer compliments of the chef, and after dinner we were treated to a desert of our choice compliments of the Red Pony. While the menu selections were limited, the shrimp and grits my wife had and the elk I had very very tasty. Menu items and drinks are a little pricey, but worth it for special occasions.Special Features:
- New placeBeamer1Dined on 9/19/2014We decided to try this restaurant after reading the reviews. We arrived early and they were able to seat us. We sat upstairs which was nice. Since this was our first time to be there, we were treated with a same appetizer. The guacamole appetizer was good. Our entries were the elk and filet which were good and we finished off with pecan pie. Our waiter was very helpful and attentive. We will go back when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites ...CravecaseDined on 9/19/2014Red Pony is one of our favorite places in Franklin, along with their sister restaurants. Everything on the menu is fabulous!Special Features:
- Great find on OTLClemDined on 9/17/2014Chose restaurant based on Open Table reviews and was NOT disappointed! Great food, wine and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DIssapointed3rdAnniversaryCelebrationDined on 9/17/2014Embarrassed at the low quality of Bone-In Ribeye. Thinly cut and very fatty. I hosted a party of nine and my guests, who had other entrees, had a good time. Service was fine.Special Features:
- Exception serviceSteveSDined on 9/16/2014The food, atmosphere and especially the service were absolutely exceptional. Pricey, but worth it for special occasions. Very experienced and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great ExperiencevinceDined on 9/15/2014My wife and I went to Red Pony for our anniversary. We had a great time. The food was fantastic with interesting menu choices such as elk. Our waiter was personable and efficient. The cocktails were great as was the wine with dinner. We will definitely be returning. It was also very reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014The service was amazing. The food was outstanding. I will return!Special Features:
- So fantastic!NashTransplantDined on 9/13/2014This is the second time we've dined at Red Pony and we were again blown away by everything. From service to atmosphere, drinks and all courses, everything was outstanding!!Special Features:
- Local GemCfillnhDined on 9/13/2014We sat down and the waiter asked us if we had ever been to the restaurant. We said no and they brought us a complimentary first-time visit appetizer! Our meals ended up being delicious and the waiter was very attentive and knowledgeable. Although our food was a bit over salted, our overall experience was excellent.Special Features:
- Failed ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014My wife wanted to go back to the Red Pony specifically to get a dish she had had there before and loved. Once we got there we found out that that dish had been discontinued because, even though it had been a local favorite, the management felt it had been on the menu to long. The fact that it had been a good seller for 8 years did not seem to matter. She ordered something else from the menu but was not impressed. I guess the management at the Red Pony has never heard the saying “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. It will be a long try before we try the Red Pony again.