Red Pearl Kitchen - Gaslamp
440 J Street, Suite #108
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Red Pearl Kitchen - Gaslamp
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redpearlkitchen.com/
- Phone: 6192311100
- Hours of Operation:
Regular Dining: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Late Night Dim Sum: Sunday - Thursday: 10:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 11:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Asian, Fusion / Eclectic, Asian
- Executive Chef: Chad Cranford
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Chefs Table seats parties up to 12 people. We also host two private dining rooms; the first a more intimate room that seats up to 6 people. The second larger gold room accommodates up to 14 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Kim Brisset 8772176802
- Special Events: We are a perfect venue for your large party needs.
Please call the restaurant to inquire or email
firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- Cross Street: 4th Street
- Public Transit: San Diego Trolley - Orange Line. Exit at Gaslamp Quarter Station. Proceed north on 5th Avenue. Turn left on J Street. We are on the north side of the street. Look for the Big Red Chair!
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: On corner of 4th Avenue and J Street.
A word from Red Pearl Kitchen - Gaslamp
The Red Pearl Kitchen, where exotic meets cosmopolitan and authentic meets avant-garde, is a Contemporary Asian restaurant/bar/lounge, which blends 1940’s Shanghai glamour with the upscale, urban, fine-dining sensibility of the Domaine Restaurant Group.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Pearl Kitchen - Gaslamp reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great blend of different cuisines,DaRyLDined on 1/19/2013Great blend of different cuisines, well prepared and displayed. Good bar and cocktail culture. Noisy. Would definitely visit again.Special Features:
- Our group shared the PorkOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/17/2013Our group shared the Pork Belly Street Tacos (2 orders because they were so good), Spicy Garlic Eggplant, Pad Thai and Short Rib Hot Pot. I was sorry I had to share the Short Ribs. Everything was amazing! Will definitely go back next time we're in San Diego.Special Features:
- Mediocre food and service;BuckVIPDined on 1/17/2013Mediocre food and service; so many choices in San Diego. . . .
- Wonderful !OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/5/2013Did not know what to expect but it was WONDERFUL ! 4 of us and all had a great food great service and fun! These people know how to treat the consumer!Special Features:
- I have enjoyed every mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/4/2013I have enjoyed every meal at the Red Pearl. In addition to the delicious food, when I asked om our most recent visit, for a quiet corner, wewere given a small private room. What's not to like!Special Features:
- Good Times in GasLampkbeauDined on 12/31/2012Michael (owner or GM) was very friendly and personable, and seated us in a great spot after my girlfriend requested 'the most romantic table you have.' Was a great meal. Really recommend the Duck Wraps. Very flavorful.Special Features:
- Red Pearl NYEBesosDined on 12/31/2012We used a Bloomspot coupon on our first visit to Red Pearl (New Year's Eve). I read the reviews on Yelp and made a few choices. We started with the chicken potstickers which were pretty safe and typical. We had the Salt and pepper prawns which had a spice aoli sauce we enjoyed. We also were very impressed withe the Mongolian beef. Typically you get thinly sliced beef but not here. They give you big cuts of steak. The only thing we didn't enjoy and would not recommend is the fried rice. Terrible. The food seems overpriced for Chinese food. The service was good and they gave a nice booth is the back as I requested.
- The food was very deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/30/2012The food was very delicious and the service was awesome!Special Features:
- Fair food, fair service, niceKPinSDVIPDined on 12/28/2012Fair food, fair service, nice vibe. I wouldn't necessarily go back or recommend to anyone.
- Always good with a nice atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/28/2012Always good with a nice atmosphere. First time there were lots of kids there, but it was fine.Special Features:
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2012Food was amazing. We had the spare ribs hot pot and the pork belly. The reductions were really good and the meat melted in your mouth. Manager was very friendly and told us how some of the dishes were prepared. You can reserve a table in the kitchen and we will likely do that in the future for a special night with friends.Special Features:
- I met the manager, Mike; heseanc623VIPDined on 12/21/2012I met the manager, Mike; he was very friendly and welcoming. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- The food was bold and delicious.seanc623VIPDined on 12/17/2012The food was bold and delicious. My server, Caitlin, was friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Where are my yams ans eggplant?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/12/2012New to Red Pearl and eager to try a variety of menu items. Ordered their house cocktail. Waitress apologized for being out of cranberry juice so if our drinks were too strong to let her know. Ordered 3 appetizers, received 2, then entree arrived, asked about the 3rd appetizer, order was not put in so ordered it again. Nearly finished with our meal when we realized that we didn't get the 2 sides we ordered with our entree. Ordered dessert and learned they don't offer coffee. Overall the food was flavorful, maybe the sides too. Will give Red Pearl another try if I'm in their area again.Special Features:
- Excellent find!HillsDined on 12/1/2012The bartender was our amazing server, great service and EXCELLENT food. Can't believe we have not been here before, we live within 5 minutes, walking! The tempura eggplant with spicy tuna appetizer is the BOMB! Mule is great, too!Special Features:
- As always, we had anotherOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2012As always, we had another pleasurable experience at RPK. Don't forget to have the spicy tuna on eggplant tempura! We also split a spicy shrimp appetizer which we both thoroughly enjoyed. I also enjoy RPK and will continue going back there!Special Features:
- Outstanding service. FoodCookininCTDined on 11/19/2012Outstanding service. Food was well prepared. Varied menu. Hip decor. Waitstaff very cordial.Special Features:
- Good location in the GaslampretireeDined on 11/11/2012Good location in the Gaslamp area. Enjoyed the duck lettuce wrap appetizer.Special Features:
- It was my first time visitingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2012It was my first time visiting Red Pearl after a friend recommended it. It was ok, not sure that I'd go back. I like the area by the bar looked like a lounge and would be fun; however I was there for dinner so they sat us near the back. The food was ok in taste, the portions say family size (2 people) however this applies only if your a light eater or like very small portions. I think the drinks are over price for the amount, it was a very small glass for $12. That kinda made my decision of not going back. It just didn't make an impression on me.
- Saturday was my first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/27/2012Saturday was my first time at the Red Pearl Kitchen. From the moment my date and I entered we were warmly greeted and seated right away ( had reservations). Our waitress could not have been any better. She was able to describe in detail each item on the menu that we had questions. The food was absolutely delicious! For appetizers we started with the salt and pepper prawns and crispy pork spring rolls. They were out of this world. Especially the prawns, my favorite. The braised lamb shank and the crispy salmon were unbelievably great. The tenderness and taste of the food was an experience I want to have again! Needless to say I will definitely dine there again and soon.Special Features:
- Repeatedl;y Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/27/2012We brought our daughter here for her 22nd birthday dinner on the way to the Civic Center to watch the opera Dracula. We have visited here a number of times and are always happy. A party of five and we were all happy with our meals - and they have a number of notable drinks that are excellent as well!Special Features:
- The best pan-asian in anyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/20/2012The best pan-asian in any West coast city that I've tried..including the much over-praised 'Slanted Door' in S.F. You must have the pork and leek shanghai broth dumplings. Worth the trip alone 5**
- More of an asian fusion restaurantsdfoodieVIPDined on 10/20/2012More of an asian fusion restaurant than Chinese, but very good food.Special Features:
- Definitely best for groups,CarlsbadFoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2012Definitely best for groups, as they recommend family style dining and sharing. I came here with 5 people, which was the perfect amount. Otherwise, appetizers are decent portions and a few could be shared among two people for the same experience, allowing more variety than ordering only 2 entrees.Special Features:
- Excellent food. Always consistent.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012Excellent food. Always consistent. Service was outstanding from waitress to bus boys. Short wait for food.Special Features:
- A good place to eat.BlaineVIPDined on 10/8/2012I was a good place to have supper. We only had the appetizers as their portions are generous. We where seated iin the back and our server was very attentive. No complaints.
- Sorry but I would not return,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/6/2012Sorry but I would not return, ever. We started with the shrimp dumplings and the lobster roll, both recommended by our server. The dumpling were doughy and tatseless. The lobster rolls presentation was good but the flavor did not live up to expectations. The ahi main dish was boring. The monglian beef was the only dish that registered on my flavor meter but left my two dinner companions digging in for seconds of the fried rice to fill their empty stomachs. And forgive me but being an asian restaurant does not give you a good excuse for a weak wine list. Check out the wine list, and menu for that matter at the Del Mar Rendezvous in downtown Del Mar if you are looking for excllent variety and flavor at an asian fusion restaurant.
- I got to see some of Red Pearl'sDeanPDined on 10/2/2012I got to see some of Red Pearl's food at a street festival that was held and decided based on what I saw that I needed to taste it myself. I took the family for a great dinner. The food was fantastic and very well assembled. I love food that explodes with flavor and Red Pearl hit that mark. Highly recommended to anyone in San Diego!Special Features:
- food is above average, lotsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/29/2012food is above average, lots of options, service was great, and they also had entertainment (chinese dragon dance) which was unique. have enjoyed it everytime we've gone.
- Not a Good Experience...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2012I really wanted to give Red Pearl Kitchen a good rating, but our experience was a mixed bag. Our dinner started off on the right foot, but as more people started to come in, we were essentially lost in the crowd. We waited for our check for almost 20 minutes. Our waiter looked busy, but there were other waiters/waitresses walking around not doing anything. And when I tried to flag someone down, she looked at me and just literally walked away. It was disappointing because we were actually there to celebrate three years since our first date, which was at RPK. Wish we had a better experience and for the prices we paid, I expected more. The hostess was very nice and the food was pretty good, but overall, not a good experience for us.Special Features:
- We absolutely loved it. ItOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2012We absolutely loved it. It was our second convention in San Diego at went the 1st time and loved it and will continue to come anytime we're there. Thank you and the entire staff you were all great!!!!!Special Features:
- I have dined at The Red PearlFoodieGalDined on 9/8/2012I have dined at The Red Pearl Kitchen a few times before this. The food is always great, and the atmosphere is fun and inviting. This time there was a Dragon Dance happening when we arrived, which added to the festive atmosphere. Unfortunately, our service was not good this time. This was different from what I had experienced in the past. We were seated, but then 20 minutes had passed and no one had even taken our drink orders. My husband went and asked for someone to come to the table, which they did, but then there was another 20 minute lag before drinks arrived. We only got them, it seemed because when they brought the appetizers we ordered with the drinks, and our drinks hadn't arrived, we asked again for them.Special Features:
- Fun menu, great atmosphereAdventurousFoodieDined on 9/8/2012Fun menu, great atmosphere and good service. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Never disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/7/2012We have been to the Red Pearl several times and have never had a complaint. The food is fabulous - love the pepper shrimp, lobster roll, and spicy green beans. Miss the hearts of palm salad that was taken off the menu. Our waitress was playful with a great sense of humor, which added to the fun of the evening.Special Features:
- Amazing Food, Great PriceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2012This food was so good and the ambiance was amazing. I will definitely be going back. The prices were low too.Special Features:
- Standard fair for VegetariansOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2012The staff is super friendly, our server was outstanding and tried to accomodate my vegan requests. Although the food was cooked well and fresh, the flavors had some room to improve. I did email the restaurant prior to our meal, telling them I was a vegan, and despiute their efforts, the food was mediocre for people with unique requests from the kitchen, as mostly they could offer the standard tofu and veggies that all Asian restaurants can offer. Nice place, but if you are vegetarian, it is not much different than every other restaurant, save they mostly do not use MSG.Special Features:
- Launch meetingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2012This was the 3rd or 4th time I have taken a group to this wonderful place. We had a great time and enjoyed the food and our time together fully. Our waitress was very accomodating to our boisterous group. We will be back!Special Features:
- Baby, Baby, Baby, don't be so coldOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2012Good times, good food, Dragons! Lots of fun, been here before, will be back.Special Features:
- Awesome birthday dinnerBrunchloverVIPDined on 8/23/2012Awesome as always. This is one of my favorite restaurants. I was celebrating my birthday and was able to introduce my boyfriend to this great cuisine. He can't wait to go back for the duck lettuce wraps & tuna tartare.Special Features:
- Had not been here for a while.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2012Had not been here for a while. New menu has a wider selection. Much more diverse...but Mexican food? We stuck to the Asian dishes. Guess they are trying to appal to a wider audience. What we had was very good.Special Features: