Red Ox Inn
9420 91 Street
Edmonton, AB T6C 3P4Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: CAN$51 and over
Red Ox Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://theredoxinn.com/
- Phone: 7804655727
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Frank Olson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Red Ox Inn
This tiny gem of a restaurant is nestled in one of Edmonton's oldest neighborhoods. The focus is on creative and eclectic cuisine, serving serious food in a casual atmosphere. The Red Ox Inn, a collaborative effort led by Andrea and Frank Olson, is proud of its relationship with loyal patrons, staff, and local producers. The wine list continues to grow in order to keep up with daily specials and a finely tuned menu. The Red Ox Inn is the perfect choice for a quiet dinner, a small gathering of friends, or even a private party.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Red Ox Inn - Best Restaurants in Edmonton ›
Red Ox Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (126)neighborhood gem (122)fit for foodies (113)romantic (97)notable wine list (72)good for groups (7)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- delightful evening mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014As we have not tried your lunch or brunch, we have no comment. This was a special occasion of our 57th anniversary and was perfect in every way. The food was beautifully presented and our waitress was exceptional. We certainly will return and have already recommended it highly to friends and family members. The halibut entrée was amazing , the lamb cooked to perfection and the tuna appetizer so good! As we had no room for dessert, the waitress was so kind to acknowledge our anniversary with ice cream & a candle! Many Kudos to you all for a quality dining experience. Look forward to a return visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food....but mehOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014food was great, service was slow, noisy, very little character in the roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- night outlenjsterDined on 9/21/2014Four of us dined out to celebrate a birthday. The restaurant was comfortable and friendly. Our meals were very good quality, very tasty, and attractively presented. Our server was attentive and fun to be around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014The food was excellent the only problem was that my son-in-law ordered chicken and was brought duck. The waiter went away and checked and acknowledged that it was his mistake. My son-in-law said it was fine because he did not want to eat alone as it takes a long time to get your food which is to be expected as it is not fast food but there was no offer of anything and we were charged for the duck even though it was more expensive than the chicken!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014We had not been to this restaurant for many years. At that time they had quaint wooden tables and chairs and the atmosphere was warm and inviting. Now it is cold and stark. We found the food to be very expensive and although I requested my beef to me cooked medium, it was almost raw. We will not be returning.
- Great Service Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014Came here for our 1 year anniversary. We both hand a wonderful three course meal. Myself with the Beef Tartar, Lamb Loin, and Whipped Cream Cheese. Her with the Mac & Cheese, Chicken Breast, and Lemon Tart. The restaurant is a fail safe for any day and/or occasion. Will definitely return and recommend to friends and family.Special Features:
- YummyDined on 9/13/2014Food and service was excellent. Small and intimate. Not overcrowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful find!jdagsDined on 9/13/2014We have lived in Edmonton all our lives and have no idea how or why we haven't visited this gem of a restaurant before. The service was impeccable, and the food absolutely among the best meals we have ever enjoyed! We will most definitely be back.Special Features:
- Lived Up to It's ReputationBugattiDined on 9/13/2014The food, service, and timing of everything was perfect! We've always heard good things about this place and finally made it there for our wedding anniversary! Definitely lived up to it's reputation!Special Features:
- Red Ox InnJamesDined on 9/13/2014Was pretty good. Nice small restaurant with not too much energy.Special Features:
- Small but delicious menu.smartytrishDined on 9/12/2014We were a group ranging in age from 17 to 65. We all enjoy and know good food. One of us is a vegetarian. We all left very happy with our meals. The lamb was the most tender my mother has had. Both orders of tenderloin were cooked exactly as ordered. The duck was so good, the eater closed his eyes in ecstasy. The vegetarian was very happy with her tortellini. Our server was knowledgeable about the menu and the wine list. She was able to help with a wine selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, yet againcanadapipDined on 9/12/2014This was the second time we'd come to the Red Ox Inn for our anniversary dinner. Both time, we've found the menu to be spectacular and the service to be second to none. The food is fresh, and as local as possible which is always appreciated. We highly recommend this restaurant to anyone in Edmonton, especially those downtown or in the east-central area. The restaurant is hidden on a side street in the Strathearn area, but taking the time to find is worth while, as good or better than any of the fancy restaurants downtown and with a much more relaxed feel and a much nicer neighbourhood to be in.Special Features:
- Perfect date spotScootermacDined on 9/7/2014While small and busy, the Red Ox Inn is still a great spot for a date, my Fiancé and I had our first date since our baby girl was born and the wine was fairly priced and the list was long, would only like to see a few more choices from the Okanagan! Food was amazing, especially dessert! Service was a little slower off the start but we were early for our reservation anyway. If your looking to take your loved one out for a nice date I would definitely recommend trying out the Red Ox. We will be back th next time were in Edmonton!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait was worth itEnjoyGoodFoodDined on 9/5/2014I had heard about the Red Ox Inn some time ago and always wanted to try the restaurant but never took the time to reserve early enough. In order to celebrate a birthday I managed to reserve well in advance and finally attended the restaurant - the food was great. The place is quite small and somewhat noisy but the food is well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinnermtran819Dined on 9/5/2014Took my fiance here for our 2 year anniversary and it was fantastic! From service to food, all outstanding. The price you pay is definitely reflected on the portion size even though it's fine dining. Only downside is generally the same with all fine dining restaurants and it is the wait time for food. All in all a very wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!foodloverDined on 9/5/2014I went there with my boyfriend for our anniversary. The food was fantastic and the restaurant seemed to run like a well-oiled machine. We will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Fantastic service, food, and wine list. My wife and I really enjoyed our Saturday dinner (first time at the Red Ox) and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Supurb dining experienceKittyjuneDined on 8/30/2014The Red Ox Inn is a little off the beaten path but worth searching for. My husband and I went out for my birthday and we really didnt know what to expect. The dining area is cozy, you can and will hear other diners talking but it is still very comfortable. The food was delish, menu is limited but that is because they rely on fresh, local available ingredients. My husband had the chicken dish which he said was fantastic. I had the heirloom tomato soup with homemade ricotta, which was the star of the plate. The halibut was melt in your mouth delish, and the vegetables and sauce were just perfect. The lemon tart was wonderful and my husband loved the chocolate brownie desert. Overall the food and service were excellent. Highly recommend!!Special Features:
- So close, but fell short.mrkellarDined on 8/26/2014Went for our anniversary. All the pieces are in place but something just didn't click. The beet salad was something I could make at home with ease and failed to challenge my palette or even excite it. The tartare had nice flavour and the dressings were excellent (loved the capers) but the actual consistency of the tartare was like paste and was actually rather off-putting. The lamb, my main, was far too light on the lamp portion and the dish was generally out of balance; there were so many hazelnuts on the dish that I ended up with a plate of them (12 or so) at the end. Service was great. The music was too low, we could hear every conversation in the room; we shouldn't have went on a Tuesday. I'd try again but my first impression was, meh.Special Features:
- Always memorableKreviewDined on 8/24/2014Red Ox never fails to impress. Beautiful food and ambience without being pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience! Delicious menu!CK84Dined on 8/17/2014We had an excellent experience here. The Red Ox is a quaint little restaurant with a personal atmosphere. It's elegant in its simplicity and delivers an amazing meal. The service was excellent, our waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable. The albacore tuna appetizer was very delectable and both the pork loin and beef tenderloin were absolutely fantastic. We will definitely be back next time we're in Edmonton.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Greatvaughn71Dined on 8/14/2014Always a great time at The Red Ox Inn. Great service that isn't over bearing, just there when you need it. Food is always great.Special Features:
- My favorite Edmonton restaurantHeidiDined on 8/10/2014This is hands down my favorite Edmonton restaurant. The food is terrific, the service is professional, and the ambience is peaceful. We now live thousands of kilometers from Edmonton but make a point of dining at Red Ox whenever we can do so. Keep up the great work!Special Features:
- Luscious foodsThea02Dined on 8/10/2014The foods were divine! What I dont like is the ambiance. Another thing is the choices of foods are limited. The service was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local restaurant.PjpjDined on 8/8/2014I have had multiple visits to the Red Ox Inn, all were pleasant. Great wine list, great menu. My only qualm is that the last time my pork was very over cooked.Special Features:
- TerribleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014I attending the Red Ox on Friday evening..My appetizer of mac/cheese was bland and tasteless. The chicken with cornbread was a cornbread puree, that had zero flavour and the chicken, was dried out..We had multiple waterer/waitress but always seem to throw the food down on the table and leave. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. When I complained about my food, it was a ok, Ill take it away no offer to replace my meal.
- Never disappointing65CooperSDined on 8/8/2014Red Ox Inn is one of the places you almost don't want to recommend for fear that it will become so busy that you can't get a table for your next visit. Our latest visit, for our anniversary, was no exception. If you want to test a kitchen order a scallop dish — overcooked they become little white hockey pucks. The Diver Scallops were lightly browned on the outside, tender & succulent inside; the Jalapeno emulsion, paper-thin slices of radish & apple provided lovely contrasts. Entrees were Lamb Loin for her & Beef Tenderloin — both perfectly cooked. The Mushroom Bread Pudding accompanying my beef was excellent; she particularly enjoyed the apple accompaniment. A lovely evening with an excellent pace of service & great, knowledgeable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodvinnyDined on 8/5/2014All three courses for all four guests were excellent. Special star for the lemon tart.Special Features:
- Tremendous food and servicePootzDined on 8/3/2014We recently visited the Red Ox Inn for dinner and had a fabulous time. The food was delicious and the service was outstanding. The server brought us some additional wine on the house because they felt they were late getting our appetizer out but it really didn't seem that long to us. We were pleasantly surprised by this proactive gesture. Overall, just a great experience and we would certainly go back. It is a quaint little establishment though so be sure to make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely as alwaysDowntownDynaDined on 8/2/2014It was a fabulous night out at the Red Ox Inn. Retaining its spot as my favorite restaurant in town, we were so happy with our small booth tucked away in the corner, Karen our exceptional server, and the fabulous food and wine. No better place for a date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening!QuashiemomDined on 8/2/2014Food was wonderful and service exceptional. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow servicejustatehereDined on 8/2/2014Food tasted great. Had to wait 1 hour after ordering though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceHarryDined on 8/1/2014An excellent dining experience for my wife's birthday!Special Features:
- Never let's us downLittlecheaterDined on 7/31/2014We had an excellent meal! Starting with a beet salad and scallop appetizer that was to die for, steak and halibut done to perfection and finishing with a chocolate brownie caramel ganache mousse and incredible mystery port. Thanks Red Ox Inn!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014Great job once again, food and service was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElvisDined on 7/25/2014We come there very rarely. As the food is outstanding - the ambience, the lack of privacy and the noise makes this experience not enjoyable. I asked for the most secluded spot as we were celebrating our 44 anniversary - unfortunately the only seating which had some privacy was not given to us. We came there only because we've received a money to spent in this restaurant.
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014I was looking for a great food experience for my 15th anniversary and - frankly - other menus were more exciting. That said, several friends and colleagues raved about the food, so I decided to go for it and I am so very glad. We had the steak tartare - the balsamic and cheese gave a lovely sharpness - and the lovely, rich tomato soup as appetizers. For our main courses we ordered the chicken and the halibut - both of which were delicious. Full flavours, crispy skin, perfectly seasoned. We especially loved the various sauces - their romesco and pea shoot sauces were brilliant. Our server was pleasant and charming, and made 2 excellent wine choices - a nice sweet Riesling for my wife and a punchy shiraz for me. An wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/22/2014We had a marvelous dining experience - excellent food, wine and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerAnniversaryDinerDined on 7/20/2014We go to Red Ox from time to time and are always happy to go back. The limited menu had enough variety for us and Karen, our waiter, was very knowledgeable and willing to provide an informed opinion. We've always been happy with the food, service and ambiance.Special Features:
- Not totally satisfiedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014The food was not spectacular, certainly not enough if someone is hungry. We were celebrating our anniversary and we were there out of curiosity, hoping to be awed. The wine was okey. The beet salad was unique (very small portion) The soup presentation is very good. My lamb was miniscule, nothing spectacular about the taste. The dessert was very overpriced.