Red Ox Inn
9420 91 Street
Edmonton, AB T6C 3P4Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: CAN$51 and over
Red Ox Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://theredoxinn.com/
- Phone: 7804655727
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Frank Olson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Red Ox Inn
This tiny gem of a restaurant is nestled in one of Edmonton's oldest neighborhoods. The focus is on creative and eclectic cuisine, serving serious food in a casual atmosphere. The Red Ox Inn, a collaborative effort led by Andrea and Frank Olson, is proud of its relationship with loyal patrons, staff, and local producers. The wine list continues to grow in order to keep up with daily specials and a finely tuned menu. The Red Ox Inn is the perfect choice for a quiet dinner, a small gathering of friends, or even a private party.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Red Ox Inn - Best Restaurants in Edmonton ›
Red Ox Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
171 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (137)neighborhood gem (125)fit for foodies (118)romantic (100)notable wine list (76)good for groups (10)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Excellent all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Fantastic service, food, and wine list. My wife and I really enjoyed our Saturday dinner (first time at the Red Ox) and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Supurb dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014The Red Ox Inn is a little off the beaten path but worth searching for. My husband and I went out for my birthday and we really didnt know what to expect. The dining area is cozy, you can and will hear other diners talking but it is still very comfortable. The food was delish, menu is limited but that is because they rely on fresh, local available ingredients. My husband had the chicken dish which he said was fantastic. I had the heirloom tomato soup with homemade ricotta, which was the star of the plate. The halibut was melt in your mouth delish, and the vegetables and sauce were just perfect. The lemon tart was wonderful and my husband loved the chocolate brownie desert. Overall the food and service were excellent. Highly recommend!!Special Features:
- So close, but fell short.mrkellarDined on 8/26/2014Went for our anniversary. All the pieces are in place but something just didn't click. The beet salad was something I could make at home with ease and failed to challenge my palette or even excite it. The tartare had nice flavour and the dressings were excellent (loved the capers) but the actual consistency of the tartare was like paste and was actually rather off-putting. The lamb, my main, was far too light on the lamp portion and the dish was generally out of balance; there were so many hazelnuts on the dish that I ended up with a plate of them (12 or so) at the end. Service was great. The music was too low, we could hear every conversation in the room; we shouldn't have went on a Tuesday. I'd try again but my first impression was, meh.Special Features:
- Always memorableKreviewDined on 8/24/2014Red Ox never fails to impress. Beautiful food and ambience without being pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience! Delicious menu!CK84Dined on 8/17/2014We had an excellent experience here. The Red Ox is a quaint little restaurant with a personal atmosphere. It's elegant in its simplicity and delivers an amazing meal. The service was excellent, our waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable. The albacore tuna appetizer was very delectable and both the pork loin and beef tenderloin were absolutely fantastic. We will definitely be back next time we're in Edmonton.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Greatvaughn71Dined on 8/14/2014Always a great time at The Red Ox Inn. Great service that isn't over bearing, just there when you need it. Food is always great.Special Features:
- My favorite Edmonton restaurantHeidiDined on 8/10/2014This is hands down my favorite Edmonton restaurant. The food is terrific, the service is professional, and the ambience is peaceful. We now live thousands of kilometers from Edmonton but make a point of dining at Red Ox whenever we can do so. Keep up the great work!Special Features:
- Luscious foodsThea02Dined on 8/10/2014The foods were divine! What I dont like is the ambiance. Another thing is the choices of foods are limited. The service was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local restaurant.PjpjDined on 8/8/2014I have had multiple visits to the Red Ox Inn, all were pleasant. Great wine list, great menu. My only qualm is that the last time my pork was very over cooked.Special Features:
- TerribleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014I attending the Red Ox on Friday evening..My appetizer of mac/cheese was bland and tasteless. The chicken with cornbread was a cornbread puree, that had zero flavour and the chicken, was dried out..We had multiple waterer/waitress but always seem to throw the food down on the table and leave. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. When I complained about my food, it was a ok, Ill take it away no offer to replace my meal.
- Never disappointing65CooperSDined on 8/8/2014Red Ox Inn is one of the places you almost don't want to recommend for fear that it will become so busy that you can't get a table for your next visit. Our latest visit, for our anniversary, was no exception. If you want to test a kitchen order a scallop dish — overcooked they become little white hockey pucks. The Diver Scallops were lightly browned on the outside, tender & succulent inside; the Jalapeno emulsion, paper-thin slices of radish & apple provided lovely contrasts. Entrees were Lamb Loin for her & Beef Tenderloin — both perfectly cooked. The Mushroom Bread Pudding accompanying my beef was excellent; she particularly enjoyed the apple accompaniment. A lovely evening with an excellent pace of service & great, knowledgeable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodvinnyDined on 8/5/2014All three courses for all four guests were excellent. Special star for the lemon tart.Special Features:
- Tremendous food and servicePootzDined on 8/3/2014We recently visited the Red Ox Inn for dinner and had a fabulous time. The food was delicious and the service was outstanding. The server brought us some additional wine on the house because they felt they were late getting our appetizer out but it really didn't seem that long to us. We were pleasantly surprised by this proactive gesture. Overall, just a great experience and we would certainly go back. It is a quaint little establishment though so be sure to make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely as alwaysDowntownDynaDined on 8/2/2014It was a fabulous night out at the Red Ox Inn. Retaining its spot as my favorite restaurant in town, we were so happy with our small booth tucked away in the corner, Karen our exceptional server, and the fabulous food and wine. No better place for a date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening!QuashiemomDined on 8/2/2014Food was wonderful and service exceptional. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow servicejustatehereDined on 8/2/2014Food tasted great. Had to wait 1 hour after ordering though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceHarryDined on 8/1/2014An excellent dining experience for my wife's birthday!Special Features:
- Never let's us downLittlecheaterDined on 7/31/2014We had an excellent meal! Starting with a beet salad and scallop appetizer that was to die for, steak and halibut done to perfection and finishing with a chocolate brownie caramel ganache mousse and incredible mystery port. Thanks Red Ox Inn!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014Great job once again, food and service was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElvisDined on 7/25/2014We come there very rarely. As the food is outstanding - the ambience, the lack of privacy and the noise makes this experience not enjoyable. I asked for the most secluded spot as we were celebrating our 44 anniversary - unfortunately the only seating which had some privacy was not given to us. We came there only because we've received a money to spent in this restaurant.
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014I was looking for a great food experience for my 15th anniversary and - frankly - other menus were more exciting. That said, several friends and colleagues raved about the food, so I decided to go for it and I am so very glad. We had the steak tartare - the balsamic and cheese gave a lovely sharpness - and the lovely, rich tomato soup as appetizers. For our main courses we ordered the chicken and the halibut - both of which were delicious. Full flavours, crispy skin, perfectly seasoned. We especially loved the various sauces - their romesco and pea shoot sauces were brilliant. Our server was pleasant and charming, and made 2 excellent wine choices - a nice sweet Riesling for my wife and a punchy shiraz for me. An wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/22/2014We had a marvelous dining experience - excellent food, wine and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerAnniversaryDinerDined on 7/20/2014We go to Red Ox from time to time and are always happy to go back. The limited menu had enough variety for us and Karen, our waiter, was very knowledgeable and willing to provide an informed opinion. We've always been happy with the food, service and ambiance.Special Features:
- Not totally satisfiedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014The food was not spectacular, certainly not enough if someone is hungry. We were celebrating our anniversary and we were there out of curiosity, hoping to be awed. The wine was okey. The beet salad was unique (very small portion) The soup presentation is very good. My lamb was miniscule, nothing spectacular about the taste. The dessert was very overpriced.
- Red Ox InncherDined on 7/18/2014Treat yourself to a stellar dining experience. We brought our teenage daughter, who normally is picky about food, but trust me, she gobbled up everything, and then some! (It was a fight for the outstanding lemon tart.) It was our first time, and can only say it all in 4 little words: We will be back!Special Features:
- A superb dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/15/2014It's been a while since we have dined at the Red Ox Inn. Returning to celebrate an anniversary reminded me; they really do superlative work with the food: fresh ingredients, interesting combinations of flavours, perfect preparations. The setting was simple, relaxed and intimate. We observed that there is no art on the walls; presumably to keep attention focused on the art on the plates. The restaurant was not very busy on a sunny weekday evening when we dined. The service was attentive and friendly. We enjoyed a great bottle of wine at a decent price point. Overall, another excellent meal; we will return, sooner this time.Special Features:
- Good foodWorthitDined on 7/13/2014If you want excellent food book a reservation here. Just the right portions and unlike anything you could make at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jjf47Dined on 7/13/2014The beef tenderloin was excellent, but the bread pudding with mushrooms was extremely salty ! Spoiled my supper and actually made me feel ill, I hope you can adjust that recipe !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2014Red Ox Inn came highly recommended and lived up to its reputation. We had a great table, excellent service (every little need met, very knowledgeable about the menu, accommodated request for need to be out by a certain time) and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScrumptiousNewlyEngagedDined on 7/11/2014My new fiance and I celebrated our engagement here and was it ever lovely! I had mentioned in the reservation that it was to celebrate our engagement and we were greeted with champagne and a congratulations after we were seated. They have a nice little menu, but they know how to cook the most amazing meals you'll have had in your life. It is in a neighborhood and is a smaller venue but the quality is top tier. I'd love to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner dateEnjoyingfood22Dined on 7/11/2014Every thing was a tasty as expected. I have been one time before for my fortieth birthday and was so impressed I couldn't wait to share with other folks who enjoy good and interesting done meals. My date and I shared our meals: the beef tenderloin and the chicken and couldn't decide which was better both were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even better than I rememberedJayCeeDined on 7/8/2014The decor has been updated since the last time I was here several years ago, but the food and service are still the same high quality I remember. The wine list is both thoughtful AND reasonably priced. The entrées are a little pricy but excellent quality and well worth it for a special occasion - or even a Tuesday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent and deliciousReviewManVIPDined on 7/8/2014Another great experience. I had a "Tribute to Grace" California Grenache with a strong strawberry flavour. Along with that I had the fresh tomato soup, and Halibut with mushrooms and scallops. All were excellent. The dessert of Cheese with walnuts, grape jelly, and butter crackers was the highlight. Eating the dessert in different combinations along with the wine created distinct experiences. Of the cheese plates in Edmonton this is easily my favorite.Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Wine glasses were hot with cold wine in inside and food was Luke warmSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Great food, great service, staff were so attentive and knowledgeable. Very relaxed atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls night out!MelMosDined on 7/3/2014A friend and I spent Thursday evening at the Red Ox Inn! The food was amazing and the service was excellent! The wine list was also very descent... Shawn was our server and he really made sure we were well taken care of! The restaurant is small but really great!Special Features:
- Never disappointed!DDS686Dined on 6/29/2014I have been coming here for years. I always know that the food will be amazing and creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous meal!BlossomDined on 6/29/2014We had a beautiful meal at the Red Ox. Every dish was fresh and flavourful. The service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The customer should know bestPatriciaVIPDined on 6/29/2014Overall the food was just as good as ever, but my Husband "tried" to order an appetizer that had jalapeño emulsion on the base of the dish. We asked to omit the jalapeño and was told by the waitress that it was better with the emulsion, so we should order it and eat around it. No,he said, I simply don't like it. She was adamant , so we didn't order it at all. I have to say that's a first for me. Most restaurants will allow the customer to order what they like. This wasn't something that was cooked into the scallop, it was placed there before the scallop was plated.Special Features:
- Red Ox, fine diningStringsattachedDined on 6/22/2014We had a great experience. Except for the fish that was a bit overcooked, all the food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.