Red Ox Inn
9420 91 Street
Edmonton, AB T6C 3P4Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: CAN$51 and over
Red Ox Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://theredoxinn.com/
- Phone: (780) 465-5727
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Frank Olson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Red Ox Inn
This tiny gem of a restaurant is nestled in one of Edmonton's oldest neighborhoods. The focus is on creative and eclectic cuisine, serving serious food in a casual atmosphere. The Red Ox Inn, a collaborative effort led by Andrea and Frank Olson, is proud of its relationship with loyal patrons, staff, and local producers. The wine list continues to grow in order to keep up with daily specials and a finely tuned menu. The Red Ox Inn is the perfect choice for a quiet dinner, a small gathering of friends, or even a private party.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Red Ox Inn - Best Restaurants in Edmonton ›
Red Ox Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
160 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (120)neighborhood gem (117)fit for foodies (112)romantic (87)notable wine list (65)good for groups (9)hot spot (8)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- High cost, average qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2014The red ox provides a decent ambience (all of the furnishings are very simple). I certainly don't mind paying a high price for an excellent meal, however, this place fell short. I ordered the sirloin steak and it was slightly undercooked which would not have been a big deal had the steak had any flavour whatsoever. Incredibly, incredibly bland. Not what I would expect for a "high end" restaurant. The service was adequate, and the dessert was excellent as was the appetizer. It certainly didn't not make up for a very flat main course.
- Still great!ReviewManVIPDined on 11/20/2014I didn't bother with wine this time and the Roiboos tea was very delicious and in fact probably better than some wines. The tomato soup was a fresh puree with ricotta cheese and sesame seeds. The main was a trout with crispy skin on top. Surrounding it was a moat of grains, leeks and lobster puree. The mushrooms added an earthy character to it. The whipped chessecake topped with granola and pumpkin custard was outstanding. Great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014This was our first visit to the Red Ox in, but not our last. The food and service were beyond compare. We'll definitely be visitin this restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Ox Food presentation was greatFoodieDined on 11/14/2014Nice little place but the tables are very close together so not very romantic unless you can get a booth that looked a little cosier. It took a long time to get our drinks ordered as there were two servers and the place was full, but the food was very good and it came out fairly quick. I would go again but probably make sure I booked a certain tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place to come back toPenny2Dined on 11/12/2014We continue to return to the Red Ox Inn because we always leave having had a wonderful evening with everything one could want in a dinning experience. The staff are friendly and courteous and appear at the table before you look for them. The food is spectacular: always inventive and exellent quality, and is sourced locally. We can also visit with our dining companions, as the noise level isn't overwhelming. The wine list accommodates all appetites yet isn't over priced. Yes, this is a place to come back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Sunday DinnerjoanDined on 11/9/2014Four of us had dinner. Loved the small room. It was quiet with lots of ambience. Service was lovely. For appetizers we shared beef tartare and golden beet salad. The beet salad was very good. The beef tartare was bland - this is a dish that needs the full production (created at the table). We had lamb, trout, duck, and tortellini. All were enjoyable, especially the trout (perfect) and the bacon jam with the duck. More spice would be good with the lamb. Liked the roasted Brussels sprouts. The cheesecake and chocolate desserts were the right size and delicious. Great that there was espresso coffee.Special Features:
- Food is the focusScottMDined on 11/8/2014The menu and preparation, as always, are excellent. Flavours, combinations, and pairings on the plate are not ordinary which makes Red Ox an awesome dining experience in the true sense of the word. Much conversation can be had about the food itself, so there's never a dull moment - even for first dates. Suggest trying something here you'd not normally pick, because you know it will be done right...Special Features:
- We really enjoyed our dinner!lingorDined on 11/7/2014Our dinner experience was absolutely fantastic. The service was outstanding and we would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice timesnoopydogdogDined on 11/1/2014Generally good food. I would have appreciated a bit larger menu. The steak was done well and the food was tasty. Dessert could have been much more interesting.
- Delicious food and great serviceluvtoeat2014Dined on 10/31/2014My friend and I decided to try this restaurant and it was a great experience. The service was excellent and the waiter was able to answer all of our questions. The food came at appropriate times and everything we ordered (wine, appetizers, main course and dessert) was delicious. I would go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlavourFlavfanDined on 10/31/2014I liked the red ox but felt that the lamb was under seasoned and that there should have been hot sauce or pepper flakes available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Love This Place 30 Years InTeddyfromtheParkDined on 10/29/2014We've been coming to The Red Ox Inn for 30 years and have never been disappointed. We always try to order at least one item that we would never think we would like. Today it was the Beet Salad. This is definitely not your Grama's pickled beets. The blend of flavours complimented each other very well. The service was knowledgeable and attentive. An all round great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible acoustics and 0 atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014We remembered this place from years ago as cozy and welcoming. Now is cold, all white, and oddly for such a small room, extremely noisy. Food was fine, but would have to be a lot more special to compensate for the atmosphere.
- First timermeagleyDined on 10/26/2014We've heard many wonderful things about the Red Ox Inn. The only fault of the restaurant was the atmosphere. The ambient background music was nice, but the restaurant layout and furniture seemed a little too cafeteria style for my liking. The lights were too bright when we first got there, but then dimmed by the time dessert arrived. The candles on the tables were not lit. The food and presentation was absolutely wonderful. The smoked beet salad with goat cheese was to die for. Such good flavours. My beef tenderloin was cooked to perfection. My partner, had the trout, and said his dish was exemplary. The wait staff were professional, and we never felt rushed. We'll be back for sure. Thank you to all. We had a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small restaurant :)jeanphilipDined on 10/24/2014We totally recommend. We had a great time. Small restaurant. Good ambiance, romantic, good for lovers and friends. GREAT service!Special Features:
- cosyneighboursDined on 10/23/2014Love the cosy atmosphere, provided the restaurant is not full. It then becomes too noisy. Love the ambiance. Waiters are superior. Food is the very best! Loin of lamb and steelhead trout. Delicious beet salad. Awesome dessert - pumpkin creme brule, almost! Love that food is locally sourced and creatively thought out, pulling the meal together beautifully.Special Features:
- A favorite!lesboys7Dined on 10/18/2014We love the Red Ox! The food is exquisite, the service impeccable and we can walk over! We should come again soon! Thank you for a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food as alwaysDougDined on 10/14/2014We once again had a wonderful meal - always very tasty and perfectly done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food I've Had But...levikDined on 10/10/2014The food was amazing, very impressed. The wine pairing was great as well. It was a great evening out. Definitely something to try out. The only reason I didn't give this place 5 stars: - The DARN kitchen door. It shook our table every time it closed and was annoyingly loud. We almost left at the beginning as loud abrupt noises like that annoy me, but I am weird this way. - Ambient temperature, my date had to put her jacket on. I agree it could have been a little warmer. - Food temperature, my lamb (and my coffee) had obviously sit in the kitchen for a while before it came to our table. Food wasn't warm as it probably should have been, but it was still amazing. Keeping all of this in mind I will definitely be going back. Please fix door!Special Features:
- Amazing....but pricey1HappyEaterDined on 10/10/2014Food was fantastic. I was expecting the restaurant to be a little bigger as I went with a group of gals. The server was fantastic and knew the menu quite well and made recommendations. The atmosphere was relaxed and comfortable. I can't rave about the food enough. I had the duck and all the items on the dish just went perfectly together. The flavors and smell was mouth watering. All of our plates were cleaned off...one of the gals was tempted to lick her plate it was that good. The menu was limited, so I was a bit skeptical but omg...delicious. I will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best!DebbieDined on 10/4/2014If you want a great dining experience, I highly recommend this restaurant. The menu selections are amazing and you can be guaranteed you will be please with whatever you choose. The wine list is fairly extensive, offering a well rounded selection of wines and if you are not sure what to pair with your food, the staff aer very knowledgable and are more than happy to assist with offering suggestions. This restaurant offers some selections that you don't see many fine dining establishments any longer, such as steak tartare (which is fantastic). Wonderful ambience, great service, you feel right at home upon your arrival!Special Features:
- Awesome menuOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/3/2014One of Edmonton's finest restaurants! Hope to return soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingSurprisedDined on 10/1/2014This restaurant delivered on all counts - food, atmosphere, service. A perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as alwaysReviewManVIPDined on 9/30/2014The albacore tuna, lamb, and pumpkin cheesecake were all stellar!Special Features:
- delightful evening mealTravellersDined on 9/28/2014As we have not tried your lunch or brunch, we have no comment. This was a special occasion of our 57th anniversary and was perfect in every way. The food was beautifully presented and our waitress was exceptional. We certainly will return and have already recommended it highly to friends and family members. The halibut entrée was amazing , the lamb cooked to perfection and the tuna appetizer so good! As we had no room for dessert, the waitress was so kind to acknowledge our anniversary with ice cream & a candle! Many Kudos to you all for a quality dining experience. Look forward to a return visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food....but mehHalo55Dined on 9/27/2014food was great, service was slow, noisy, very little character in the roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- night outlenjsterDined on 9/21/2014Four of us dined out to celebrate a birthday. The restaurant was comfortable and friendly. Our meals were very good quality, very tasty, and attractively presented. Our server was attentive and fun to be around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014The food was excellent the only problem was that my son-in-law ordered chicken and was brought duck. The waiter went away and checked and acknowledged that it was his mistake. My son-in-law said it was fine because he did not want to eat alone as it takes a long time to get your food which is to be expected as it is not fast food but there was no offer of anything and we were charged for the duck even though it was more expensive than the chicken!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014We had not been to this restaurant for many years. At that time they had quaint wooden tables and chairs and the atmosphere was warm and inviting. Now it is cold and stark. We found the food to be very expensive and although I requested my beef to me cooked medium, it was almost raw. We will not be returning.
- Great Service Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014Came here for our 1 year anniversary. We both hand a wonderful three course meal. Myself with the Beef Tartar, Lamb Loin, and Whipped Cream Cheese. Her with the Mac & Cheese, Chicken Breast, and Lemon Tart. The restaurant is a fail safe for any day and/or occasion. Will definitely return and recommend to friends and family.Special Features:
- YummyDined on 9/13/2014Food and service was excellent. Small and intimate. Not overcrowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful find!jdagsDined on 9/13/2014We have lived in Edmonton all our lives and have no idea how or why we haven't visited this gem of a restaurant before. The service was impeccable, and the food absolutely among the best meals we have ever enjoyed! We will most definitely be back.Special Features:
- Lived Up to It's ReputationBugattiDined on 9/13/2014The food, service, and timing of everything was perfect! We've always heard good things about this place and finally made it there for our wedding anniversary! Definitely lived up to it's reputation!Special Features:
- Red Ox InnJamesDined on 9/13/2014Was pretty good. Nice small restaurant with not too much energy.Special Features:
- Small but delicious menu.smartytrishDined on 9/12/2014We were a group ranging in age from 17 to 65. We all enjoy and know good food. One of us is a vegetarian. We all left very happy with our meals. The lamb was the most tender my mother has had. Both orders of tenderloin were cooked exactly as ordered. The duck was so good, the eater closed his eyes in ecstasy. The vegetarian was very happy with her tortellini. Our server was knowledgeable about the menu and the wine list. She was able to help with a wine selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, yet againcanadapipDined on 9/12/2014This was the second time we'd come to the Red Ox Inn for our anniversary dinner. Both time, we've found the menu to be spectacular and the service to be second to none. The food is fresh, and as local as possible which is always appreciated. We highly recommend this restaurant to anyone in Edmonton, especially those downtown or in the east-central area. The restaurant is hidden on a side street in the Strathearn area, but taking the time to find is worth while, as good or better than any of the fancy restaurants downtown and with a much more relaxed feel and a much nicer neighbourhood to be in.Special Features:
- Perfect date spotScootermacDined on 9/7/2014While small and busy, the Red Ox Inn is still a great spot for a date, my Fiancé and I had our first date since our baby girl was born and the wine was fairly priced and the list was long, would only like to see a few more choices from the Okanagan! Food was amazing, especially dessert! Service was a little slower off the start but we were early for our reservation anyway. If your looking to take your loved one out for a nice date I would definitely recommend trying out the Red Ox. We will be back th next time were in Edmonton!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait was worth itEnjoyGoodFoodDined on 9/5/2014I had heard about the Red Ox Inn some time ago and always wanted to try the restaurant but never took the time to reserve early enough. In order to celebrate a birthday I managed to reserve well in advance and finally attended the restaurant - the food was great. The place is quite small and somewhat noisy but the food is well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinnermtran819Dined on 9/5/2014Took my fiance here for our 2 year anniversary and it was fantastic! From service to food, all outstanding. The price you pay is definitely reflected on the portion size even though it's fine dining. Only downside is generally the same with all fine dining restaurants and it is the wait time for food. All in all a very wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!foodloverDined on 9/5/2014I went there with my boyfriend for our anniversary. The food was fantastic and the restaurant seemed to run like a well-oiled machine. We will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.