Red Owl Tavern
433 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Red Owl Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redowltavern.com/
- Phone: (215) 923-2267
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11:00am;
Brunch: Saturday + Sunday 8:00am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm;
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jorge Chicas
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Red Owl Tavern literally corners the cradle of liberty. Uniquely situated across from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell, this American eatery features soaring windows that bring Philadelphia's energy inside. From our uniqure Shanghai Boardroom, intimate Chef's Table, and social atmosphere of the Mezzanine Level, it's hard not to find the perfect spot for your private event! Red Owl has the roots of a true tavern - so ideas can be exchanged over a great meal and a cold drink. It manages to be old, new and free-thinking. Just like Philly.
- Special Events:
Red Owl Brunch features Build Your Own Bottomless Bellinis!
- Cross Street: Corner of 5th & Chestnut
- Public Transit: Market East Station
- When exiting the station walk East on Market Street until you reach 5th street. Make a right onto Chestnut St.
For additional directions please see
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet is $15 with validation
Or selfpark at Autopark at Independence Mall
41 North 6th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
•Evening – Enter after 5:00 PM – $9.50 – (Sunday through Thursday)
•Enter after 5PM, exit before 3 AM – $5.00 (Friday & Saturday)
A word from Red Owl Tavern
Centered in Old City Philadelphia Red Owl Tavern is a modern American tavern and a new kind of power spot that sizzles with artisan butchery, farm connected ingredients and an inclusive vibe. Serving hand crafted sandwiches and burgers by day and grilled roast house specialties by night. Our menu has truly made this a gathering place for everyone. Sharing center stage is Red Owl's cocktail program focusing on prohibition era classics.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Owl Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)great for lunch (26)good for groups (22)fit for foodies (22)vibrant bar scene (21)great for brunch (17)hot spot (16)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (7)special occasion (6)notable wine list (5)romantic (4)late-night find (2)Show More
- Hits the spotVinsMomVIPDined on 11/25/2014I always enjoying eating diner here. The menu is varied and the food tasty. The waitstaff is pleasant and the drinks good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gem near historic areaMagnoliaVIPDined on 11/24/2014We stayed in the attached hotel and had breakfast and lunch here. Both were GREAT, Breatfast Huevos Rancheros were the best we've ever had with crispy tortilla on the bottom, a flavorful blend of veggies, spices, beans and corn under the eggs. A bowl of yogurt, homemade granola, and fresh berries, which I sweetened with the house blueberry marmalade, was simply delicious. Coffe was offered and refilled regularly. We later shared a Lunch with a Phili cheesesteak accompanied by fries and a delicious bowl of flavorful chicken soup with the richest broth I've ever tasted. All our servers were very friendly, knowledgeable about the food, and provided uniformly great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and ambiancesouthjerseycraigDined on 11/20/2014The upstairs is quiet, especially on a week night. The service was *very* courteous (the waiter told us the building's history when we asked) and food came very quickly. I wish the portions were more substantial, but at least that means the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so accommodatingMitchdishVIPDined on 11/11/2014The red owl tavern employs the nicest servers. One of our party couldn't walk up the steps so they set us up at the bar with no issue whatsoever. the meal was a delight and we all had a great time. Terrific bar list as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for vegetariansOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/27/2014This menu is not vege friendly at all. Service for lunch is slow. It's a hotel Restuarunt
- Yummy bread pudding!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/25/2014Really good bread pudding it was the highlight. We wished we had gotten 2!I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudyVIPDined on 10/20/2014Very good food and service. I saw more than one table with a problem I had - too dark to read the menu. That's the only down side.Special Features:
- Great Old City spotLAofLCDined on 10/16/2014We had a great dinner here while traveling with our teen son. The menu was limited, but had choices for everyone. The food was very nicely done and the portions were good. We tried the burger, roasted chicken and the scallops. The wine and beer choices were interesting as well. There is a very lively bar downstairs and dining upstairs. It was noisy but we could still carry on a conversation. Only the dessert was underwhelming - the chocolate mousse tasted like packaged pudding.Special Features:
- $$$$$$!!!SanctuaryDined on 10/16/2014Much to expensive for what we ordered. Burger had caramelized onions, herbed butter, cheese, which was to many conflicting flavors. Charging for each refill was ridiculous. And the glasses were much to small. Did not measure It But was a 4 oz. glass? Location was probably what we paid for. Across street from Independence Hall.Special Features:
- Great placeDel2philDined on 10/11/2014Great place great location and great food! Reasonable prices!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch in the historic districtMASCDined on 10/6/2014The Red Owl is a great stop for some tasty and appetizing nourishment while in the Historic District of Philadelphia. The service was very good, and we were fed in a prompt but not rushed manner.Special Features:
- Great location for a day tripCJDeatsDined on 10/4/2014Great Location for a day trip - I would have preferred a larger selection to choose from though,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmedCNowVIPDined on 10/4/2014Meal was so-so (and it's hard to mess up breakfast) - service wasn't great but not horrible.Special Features:
- OK Food at a Luxury PriceRichHDined on 9/28/2014The food here was OK, but nothing great. The price was way too much for the quality of the food.Special Features:
- decentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014food was marginal and restaurant was so dark you couldn't seeSpecial Features:
- New Kitchen staff,slow servicestreudylVIPDined on 9/21/2014Seated promptly. Server took order promptly, ordered hamburger and a sandwich. Waited 35 minutes for any food to be served. Complained to manager who apologized, saying they were very busy and had new kitchen staff.Totally unacceptable. We were at restaurant with friends months ago. Had great experience which is why we made an effort to return. Won't come back again.Special Features:
- Excellent Experiencesarajr84Dined on 9/19/2014We were in from out of town and I made the reservation based on online searches, online reviews, and the website menu. We had excellent food, a great table overlooking Independence Hall, and great wine and scotch. It was my husbands birthday and had included this note with our reservation. They had a great table for us, brought champagne, and dessert! It was fantastic service (Adam was outstanding!) and everyone was very friendly and prompt. Highly recommend it and we'll definitely be back when we're in Philadelphia again!Special Features:
- Food is good!TonyJVIPDined on 9/19/2014My rating is based on the complexity of the food compared to other restaurants but it was very tasty and I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless Bellini Isn't Worth ItTravelingDinerDined on 9/14/2014The food was very good and the bellini juice selection was great! However, the bottomless bellinis are $18 per person but a bottle of the champagne is only $14 per bottle. So, the bottomless bellini really isn't worth it unless you are able to down more than 2 bottles of champagne per person. Just FYI.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC!!!Cheferik03Dined on 9/6/2014Hats off to the chef and his staff. Food was fantastic. The crostini were delicious. My burger was juicy and very tasty. The mac & cheese was gooey and delicious as well. Our server was Justin and our drinks were always full and his recommendations on the apple pie AND chocolate mousse were spot on. This is a great place to go when your in Philly.Special Features:
- Nice looking but food just okNikkiB912Dined on 9/6/2014The atmosphere and decor was really nice. Service was fine nothing bad or good about it. The food was just ok but too expensive in my opinion for what you got and how it tastes. I think the bar might have been the best part. Every drink I saw served looked deliciousSpecial Features:
- work lunchsnowdogVIPDined on 9/5/2014Just another work luncheon at Red Owl. We frequently go to this restaurant since it's convenient to our office. Good service...food is good, but a little pricey for certain items. Overall, we like it so we keep going back!Special Features:
- Great Brunch!!SimoneDined on 8/31/2014Recommend the Red Owl Omettet & really good fries. The strawberry shortcake was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bellini-CentralOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/31/2014This place is awesome! Their brunch food is delicious, but the best part is their bellini bar. This is no longer advertised on the menu, so be sure to ask about it! You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- nice spotAllieGDined on 8/30/2014We had a light dinner and enjoyed our choices of the cheese platter and wings. We had great service and enjoyed the convenience since we were staying at the Hotel Monaco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/29/2014The food was fantastic and service was very quick. Drinks were delicious. Waitress could have been more attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad but not greatshryx86Dined on 8/29/2014We wanted to go to Red Owl since we saw it on a top places to eat list, and it was worth it. The service was great from the moment we walked through the doors, had dinner, and while we were leaving. The food was pretty good, but not worth the price. I had the short ribs with green beans and mashed potatoes, and both the meat and beans needed to be cooked a little longer to reach the melt in your mouth point. We also ordered a fish dish, and it was good despite the sauce being overly acidic. My girlfriend and I expected a higher standard for spending close to $100 for 2 entrees and 2 drinks. Red Owl is worth checking out if you're in the area, but there are better establishments with a lower price tag near by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great evening at the Red OwlKimGMDined on 8/29/2014My friends and I met at Red Owl Tavern for our annual get-together and we really enjoyed the experience. Our server was very friendly and helpful. We opted for sharing crostini, corn & shrimp fritters and wings as our starters. We loved the smoked salmon crostini and the fritters. The wings were good but not as tasty as the other starters. For our mains, we ordered the burger, chicken with creamy grits, and moules. All of us were extremely satisfied with our mains--the burger was juicy and had great flavour, the chicken with creamy grits was divine, and the moules with truffle fries was a huge favourite with one of my friends. We really enjoyed our evening there and look forward to another visit.Special Features:
- Sooooo goodPickyEaterDined on 8/19/2014Food and service were fantastic, can't go wrong. Recommend the chicken- moist, flavorful and well accompanied with sides.Special Features:
- Overall, good brunchWillDined on 8/17/2014Made a reservation for 12 for a birthday brunch. Service was slow & it took a while to get our orders in, but the food made up for the long wait. We opted for the unlimited bellini special. We thought it was a little odd that the juices were placed on a separate table. Each of us had to get up to pour our juice ourselves. For a group this large WITH a reservation, we should have gotten our own pitchers. Seeing as how we were seated along a wall, it made it difficult for some of us to keep getting up, maneuvering around everyone else sitting in their chairs. The waiter brought over a dessert with a candle for the birthday celebrant and also gave us an extra bottle of champagne even after having paid the bill and after brunch hours ended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved the BLTBkathydDined on 8/13/2014Good atmosphere, great sandwich, reasonable prices!Special Features:
- Good PlacePhillyDineOutVIPDined on 8/11/2014Overall it is a good place. Nothing really fancy, but they do combine some interesting flavors in their menu. Muscles and mushroom appetizers are really tasty.Special Features:
- Just OKDoubleDDined on 8/4/2014The menu looked very interesting but I thought the portions were small and the service was not good. The table was dirty and we were told that she would be back to wipe it off several times but that never happened. The tables are very small and I felt like we were sitting on top of each other.
- The following 260 reviews are from the Red Owl Tavern reviews archive.
- UnexpectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014We expected a corner tavern and got much more, great service, interesting pairings of food. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Red OwldavesdiningDined on 7/30/2014Great spot for our family of seven to dine for lunch while site-seeing in Philadelphia's historic district., Directly across from Liberty Bell Park/venue. Very friendly and efficient service and food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014I am always skeptical of a place attached to a hotel but this place totally surprised me. I was in town to visit family and attend a wedding. We were a party of 8 had a great table, the service was slow so don't go if you are in a hurray but the wait was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodgritsDined on 7/27/2014Without a doibt you have to get the chicken and grits! Without a doubt so good!! The service wasnt great. We ordered drinks and didn't get them til after our salad came.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent location & service.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/24/2014Great location. Nice ambience for surroundings. Excellent service. Only complaint is the 4 different menu items we chose were all a little too sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent from soup to nuts!VirageDined on 7/22/2014I cannot rave enough about this place. It was well worth my time and money. I took my gf there for her birthday and it was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First But Not Last TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014We made reservations for a party of 6 for brunch. Our table was ready as promised. The service was excellent. The food was wonderful. I would recommend and also plan on returning.Special Features: