Red Owl Tavern
433 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Red Owl Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redowltavern.com/
- Phone: 2159232267x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11:00am;
Brunch: Saturday + Sunday 8:00am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm;
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jorge Chicas
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Red Owl Tavern literally corners the cradle of liberty. Uniquely situated across from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell, this American eatery features soaring windows that bring Philadelphia's energy inside. From our uniqure Shanghai Boardroom, intimate Chef's Table, and social atmosphere of the Mezzanine Level, it's hard not to find the perfect spot for your private event! Red Owl has the roots of a true tavern - so ideas can be exchanged over a great meal and a cold drink. It manages to be old, new and free-thinking. Just like Philly.
- Special Events:
Red Owl Brunch features Build Your Own Bottomless Bellinis!
- Cross Street: Corner of 5th & Chestnut
- Public Transit: Market East Station
- When exiting the station walk East on Market Street until you reach 5th street. Make a right onto Chestnut St.
For additional directions please see
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet is $15 with validation
Or selfpark at Autopark at Independence Mall
41 North 6th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
•Evening – Enter after 5:00 PM – $9.50 – (Sunday through Thursday)
•Enter after 5PM, exit before 3 AM – $5.00 (Friday & Saturday)
A word from Red Owl Tavern
Centered in Old City Philadelphia Red Owl Tavern is a modern American tavern and a new kind of power spot that sizzles with artisan butchery, farm connected ingredients and an inclusive vibe. Serving hand crafted sandwiches and burgers by day and grilled roast house specialties by night. Our menu has truly made this a gathering place for everyone. Sharing center stage is Red Owl's cocktail program focusing on prohibition era classics.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Red Owl Tavern - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
Red Owl Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (42)fit for foodies (37)great for brunch (36)neighborhood gem (35)vibrant bar scene (30)good for groups (24)great for outdoor dining (19)scenic view (18)kid-friendly (14)late-night find (14)hot spot (13)special occasion (10)romantic (10)notable wine list (9)Show More
- TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014The food was fantastic and service was very quick. Drinks were delicious. Waitress could have been more attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great evening at the Red OwlKimGMDined on 8/29/2014My friends and I met at Red Owl Tavern for our annual get-together and we really enjoyed the experience. Our server was very friendly and helpful. We opted for sharing crostini, corn & shrimp fritters and wings as our starters. We loved the smoked salmon crostini and the fritters. The wings were good but not as tasty as the other starters. For our mains, we ordered the burger, chicken with creamy grits, and moules. All of us were extremely satisfied with our mains--the burger was juicy and had great flavour, the chicken with creamy grits was divine, and the moules with truffle fries was a huge favourite with one of my friends. We really enjoyed our evening there and look forward to another visit.Special Features:
- Sooooo goodPickyEaterDined on 8/19/2014Food and service were fantastic, can't go wrong. Recommend the chicken- moist, flavorful and well accompanied with sides.Special Features:
- Overall, good brunchWillDined on 8/17/2014Made a reservation for 12 for a birthday brunch. Service was slow & it took a while to get our orders in, but the food made up for the long wait. We opted for the unlimited bellini special. We thought it was a little odd that the juices were placed on a separate table. Each of us had to get up to pour our juice ourselves. For a group this large WITH a reservation, we should have gotten our own pitchers. Seeing as how we were seated along a wall, it made it difficult for some of us to keep getting up, maneuvering around everyone else sitting in their chairs. The waiter brought over a dessert with a candle for the birthday celebrant and also gave us an extra bottle of champagne even after having paid the bill and after brunch hours ended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved the BLTBkathydDined on 8/13/2014Good atmosphere, great sandwich, reasonable prices!Special Features:
- Good PlacePhillyDineOutVIPDined on 8/11/2014Overall it is a good place. Nothing really fancy, but they do combine some interesting flavors in their menu. Muscles and mushroom appetizers are really tasty.Special Features:
- Just OKDoubleDDined on 8/4/2014The menu looked very interesting but I thought the portions were small and the service was not good. The table was dirty and we were told that she would be back to wipe it off several times but that never happened. The tables are very small and I felt like we were sitting on top of each other.
- UnexpectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014We expected a corner tavern and got much more, great service, interesting pairings of food. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Red OwldavesdiningDined on 7/30/2014Great spot for our family of seven to dine for lunch while site-seeing in Philadelphia's historic district., Directly across from Liberty Bell Park/venue. Very friendly and efficient service and food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014I am always skeptical of a place attached to a hotel but this place totally surprised me. I was in town to visit family and attend a wedding. We were a party of 8 had a great table, the service was slow so don't go if you are in a hurray but the wait was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodgritsDined on 7/27/2014Without a doibt you have to get the chicken and grits! Without a doubt so good!! The service wasnt great. We ordered drinks and didn't get them til after our salad came.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent location & service.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/24/2014Great location. Nice ambience for surroundings. Excellent service. Only complaint is the 4 different menu items we chose were all a little too sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent from soup to nuts!VirageDined on 7/22/2014I cannot rave enough about this place. It was well worth my time and money. I took my gf there for her birthday and it was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First But Not Last TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014We made reservations for a party of 6 for brunch. Our table was ready as promised. The service was excellent. The food was wonderful. I would recommend and also plan on returning.Special Features:
- Great brunch!JerseygirlfromCHVIPDined on 7/20/2014We had a delicious brunch at The Red Owl, French toast, smoked salmon and cheeseburgers. I usually don't have great expectations for hotel restaurants, but the one delivered. The Klimpton Hotel is beautiful too!Special Features:
- NickVIPDined on 7/20/2014Early morning reservation... expected a decent table, as we had eaten breakfast (upstairs table) recently-- We were seated downstairs at a very small table-- not good-- so close to other singles. Told by waiter that could not have a larger table-- later, we saw one person and two at the tables set for four-- we had asked and were told that we had to settle for a small table downstairs. Food (french toast) was warm, not hot and inadequate compote. Bagel was not toasted well-- and the meals (both) were so-so. Will go back to the Parc!
- DebbieVIPDined on 7/20/2014I dined at the Red Owl for Breakfast/Brunch as well as dinner. Food was excellent as always. We end up dining at the Tavern at least once during our stay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale tavernFoodie4lifeDined on 7/16/2014Loved their happy hour specials and added twists on signature tavern bar food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute findKateDined on 7/10/2014I stumbled across this restaurant while searching for a last minute dinner reservation. I didn't have any expectations and was surprised with what I found. The service was good, but what took me by surprise was the food. My starters were a salad (adequate) and hummus. The chips were very greasy, so I would stick to the flatbread. However the kitchen wonderfully prepared my scallops and they were delicious! I would highly recommend them. My dining partner ordered chicken, which was very juicy and tender. I finished with a very tasty shortcake- not too sweet, just right. The only drawback is that the bathrooms are located on the lower level of the adjoining hotel, which is not a very big deal. Overall - it was unexpectedly good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food was had by allBekahDined on 7/9/2014My husband and I like to try out random restaurants each week for date night. Red Owl was offering 1000 pt tables so we jumped on that and weren't disappointed. The pricing is a bit steep for some of the items ($19 for a hamburger?!), but others were appropriately priced (like my $22 wild mushroom gnocchi). The food was excellently prepared. Our server accidentally put my order in wrong and we ended up with an extra entree on the house. The ricotta crustini was amazing. My husband's skirt steak was perfect and just melted in your mouth. Had we not had the extra entree we would have gotten dessert. My only complaint was it was rather loud, but that could have been because a world cup match was playing and we could care less about soccer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014We were in the neighborhood at another hotel and needed a quick place to eat dinner before heading to a concert. The Red Owl Tavern was perfect - we split a burger (amazing!) and cheese board with some cocktails. The overall experience was perfect, other than as the sun was setting, the light came in through the window over the bar and when reflecting in the opposing wall mirror, it was blinding regardless of what side of the table you were on and the bartender indicated that they were not able to close the blind.I would recommend this to a friend.
- not planning a returnbssttVIPDined on 7/5/2014Usually restaurants connected with the Kimpton Hotel chain are very good. I can't say that for the Red Owl Tavern. The food, and the service were disappointing.
- Yummy as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/29/2014Greatest brunch in old city that I've found so far. Food is great and always good service. Only bad things this time was a table of loud women next to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it sucksOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014Bad food, loud and bad service. we were actually shocked at how bad it is
- Not DisappointedstuffmyfaceDined on 6/28/2014My wife and I went here for dinner and brunch for our first anniversary weekend. We were staying at the hotel, and the pictures and menu made Red Owl Tavern look like a great place to eat, as well as being convenient, i.e. not forcing us to search Philly for a good dinner spot. We had a trainee waiter both meals (coincidentally, also the same table) whose name we never caught, but he was very friendly and gave us free mimosas for brunch as a congratulations. We had the trout dip for an appetizer, which was delicious, almost like a tuna texture, which I didn't expect, but we both loved it. We both had the sea scallops entree, the second best scallops I've had (best were straight from the fishery). Apple pie and bread pudding for dessert. Mm.Special Features:
- Philadelphia KeeperLeoRDined on 6/24/2014I had 10 guests in from out of town for business and selected Red Owl for dinner. Everyone was blown away by the ambience, service, beer selection and food. The appetizers were phenomena. Steaks and seafood were fresh and cooked to perfection. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than its potentialOperationDinnerOutVIPDined on 6/22/2014The place is pleasant, and the food tasty -- but t took 45 minutes for us to get our entrees, despite telling them repeatedly we had to be out of there by a certain time, and then, despite the servers' repeated apologies for the delay because the kitchen was supposedly overwhelmed with diners, the food arrived cold in every aspect (chicken, grits, and grilled asparagus each), so i had obviously sat around for at least 15 minutes before being brought to us. Judging by some other diners' comments, my experience was not unique. In a city filled with so many great restaurants, including casual places, there's no need o go back to this one.
- Excellent VenueMASCDined on 6/18/2014I had reserved, through Open Table, a table for 6 and when we arrived our table was ready. They put us upstairs in a corner, quiet and perfect for conversation. Service was great; food was delicious. Restrooms, downstairs, are lovely. Location, across from Independence Hall, is ideal for anyone of any age needing to eat in that part of the city. I would recommend the Red Owl to anyone and hope to return in the not too distant future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so goodCatherine3Dined on 6/16/2014I ordered a BLT sandwich. It came with three little pieces of bacon bites. I had to get up get the waitress to come over and look at my lunch. She then went to got me under cooked bacon. I have had more bacon in a salad. Do not order that sandwich. No bacon, all lettuce.
- KnightsingerDined on 6/15/2014Trendy place, good food and excellent and friendly service. Good price-quality ratioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchLKRageDined on 6/15/2014Food was good. Service was fair to inattentive. No kids menu for brunch.Special Features:
- Servie was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014Zack was our server, he was very informed and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner42Dined on 6/14/2014Food was excellent. If you order the ice cream sandwich for dessert, they serve 2 huge ones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmospheremscottwillisDined on 6/12/2014Enjoyed the food, the salmon was excellent, our server was pleasant, attentive and fun to talk with and the atmosphere was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour with a FriendklamDined on 6/4/2014Met up with a friend for some apps and drinks and was not disappointed! Very affordable, nice selection, delicious food, friendly servers, and great ambiance. Definitely would recommend and wish I lived in the city so I could go there more often. Great range of fun things like Philly Beer Week and other events.Special Features:
- Historic Find but...Foodie2travelDined on 6/1/2014Right in the midst of the historic Independence District in Philadelphia, one would expect a little more. The potential for a really good stop is there but if one has to use the restrooms and happens to be sitting on the second floor, you have to go down a flight of stairs, go into the hotel lobby, past the elevators and then go down another flight of stairs and down a hallway.
- Not quiet or intimate but good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/31/2014Great place for quality food before or after a movie. Not a place for a quiet, intimate dinner, because of the noise level. But the food is nicely prepared and very tasty. Had the chicken with creamy grits which was delicious. Chicken was moist, not dry or overcooked. The bronzino also was nicely prepared. Staff is very freindly and attentive.Special Features:
- Great for brunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Really great find close to old city! Amazing bottomless belini's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in Phillywaffle2010Dined on 5/28/2014This was my first time to the Red Owl Tavern but it won't be my last. My original intent was to grab a bite before a show at the adjacent Stratus Lounge so I was going for close without a thought to scoring a good dinner. Boy what a pleasant surprise! From the hosetess who greated us (sorry that i didn't get her name ) to our server Eric they took excellent care of us! Eric was very thorough and attentive as well as being very engaging, I felt very much at home. The food was excellent and fresh, from the presesntation to the taste and porttions evry choice was excellent. Don't miss the trout dip!!I had mentioned that my wife and I were celebrating an anniversary and birthday in my open table reservation and their response was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic menuDrmissannVIPDined on 5/24/2014A great pre-movie place. Some us just had appetizers, others had full dinners, all were delicious...Special Features: