Red Onion Cafe
227 Hardin St.
Boone, NC 28607Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Red Onion Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theredonioncafe.com/
- Phone: 8282645470
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Red Onion Cafe
A Boone Restaurant Offering Food to Feel Good About. One of the classic restaurants in Boone NC, the Red Onion Café opens daily at 11am and serves continuously into the evening. Across from Appalachian State University on Highway 321 near downtown Boone, the restaurant offers convenient dining for Appalachian football and basketball games and other campus events. The Red Onion Café is unique among Boone restaurants, offering a menu stocked with one-of-a-kind items such as the Artichoke Dip appetizer, our famous blond brownie - the Horace Cookie, weekly dinner specials, vegetarian meals, lunch specials, pasta, pizza, salads, a large children's menu and homemade desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Red Onion Cafe - Best Restaurants in Boone ›
Red Onion Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (15)neighborhood gem (15)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (6)good for groups (6)fit for foodies (5)notable wine list (4)special occasion (4)romantic (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)Show More
- Casual FareTastyVIPDined on 10/10/2014Typical but slightly upgraded college food fare. We had burgers & pizza which were both hearty & tasty. If you want good burger this may be your place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and excellent service!going2dinnerDined on 10/6/2014wonderful experience. I haven't been there in while and was pleasantly surprised that it still has good food and excellent service!!!!Special Features:
- loved the foodDianaBfromCharlotteDined on 10/5/2014was a late night find but still received the best service and food! Would recommend to anyone coming to BooneSpecial Features:
- Always pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014We always eat here when in Boone. Excellent food, excellent atmosphere, excellent service. Opentable allows us to reserve our table and avoid having to wait...a must if you have hungry kids in tow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, good service, good valuerockmeisterVIPDined on 8/19/2014I was skeptical, given its proximity to campus, but my wife and I are both fans. The hostess and server were both very pleasant and polished - good training. You may choose combinations for lunch for 7.95. We both had the baby kale salad. I had half of a tuna salad sandwich piled high and tasty with excellent bread. my wife had the spinach and feta quiche which was also excellent. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Very varied menueastwestDined on 8/15/2014Crowded college weekend good service, everything was prepared perfectly and very tasty. It was a little cold even on a hot night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Normally Very Good; but . . .OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/13/2014I sent a private note to the restaurant about my meal problem. Normally, this is a very good restaurant.
- Owner mistakeDisappointedDinerDined on 8/12/2014We waited over 1 hour for our food with only a few visits from the waitress. The owner had invited an ASU team to dinner and didn't prep the managers so they were not staffed to handle the party and other guests. We were discounted for our wait and given free dessert but only after we asked to see a manager. Other tables got up and left. We were close to doing the same
- Reasonably priced; good food!n8songDined on 8/2/2014Visiting the area, wanted a 7:30 table, but due to wi-fi issues was only able to get 8pm. Showed up @ 7:25 (as we had nowhere else to go for that brief time) & were seated immediately. Loved the kale salad! Orange salmon was perfectly cooked, and spouse's pistachio-encrusted trout was A++. We both enjoyed the rosemary vegetable saute. Starches (potato medley for me, rice for spouse) were just OK. Finished the evening with the house specialty Horace cookie with 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream, perfect for sharing. LOVED that the house music was interesting without being loud enough to hinder conversation, as well as the perfect lighting (sufficient to read, but not overly bright). Excellent service; reasonable prices. Hope to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvgoodfoodDined on 7/14/2014Great food for a reasonable price, good service, the world's best onion rings and we have never had a bad meal there!! We highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Ever Artichoke DipOut2LunchVIPDined on 7/6/2014Visiting Boone to show our daughter ASU campus. We read some pretty good reviews of the Red Onion and it fit our needs along with the needs of our vegetarian daughter. Nice eclectic menu. Interesting beers. We arrived pretty late but others were still eating when we left at 10:30 p.m.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 28 reviews are from the Red Onion Cafe reviews archive.
- Nothing SpecialCallForAGoodTimeDined on 6/15/2014I'd rather save my money and pick up some fast food. The meat was dry, the recipes were uninspired, and the bowl of melted cheese they called lasagna was made cheaply. Two of our party didn't care to eat even half their meal, then left with a uncomfortable stomach ache. Aside from the poor quality of food, they were out of steaks on Fathers Day, couldn't control the thermostat, and had very noticeable dish washing spots on the wine glasses. We won't be going back. If you're in Boone, and looking for something delicious, try Hob Knob or Melanie's.
- New favorite!Food4thoughtDined on 5/25/2014Our server was wonderful- appropriately attentive and fun. There were 5 of us and everyone loved their selection. We will go back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VolmanVolmanDined on 5/23/2014Nice, friendly restaurant across from Applachian State University. The gf and I had a reservation and were promptly seated. The menu was diverse and our server was helpful in narrowing our selections. Our food came out promptly and was well prepared. This restaurant is a solid choice for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OrdinaryLarryBDined on 5/12/2014Good food, nothing special, nothing unusual. Not disappointing with the usual restaurant fare and selections. There are many more more foodie locations but this is safe for a quiet meal at a fair price.
- Something for everyoneOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/18/2014The menu has enough variety to satisfy any group. Pizza, pasta, salads, fish, sandwiches, chicken. Food is good. Service good. Recently rare Decorated. Outdoor seating. Close to Campus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/11/2014Average pub food, with poor service. waited 20 min to place an order, waited 30 min to receive 3 burgers.
- fresh and seasonal foodsjhope66Dined on 3/28/2014we were a family of five visiting app state. we were grateful that this popular spot took reservations on a friday evening, since we are a larger group and many of the local spots are first-come, first-served. I have dietary restrictions and had no trouble finding a gluten-free option. they also happily removed the dairy from the dish. We found the prices to be very reasonable as well. I had the cornmeal crusted trout. It was served with rosemary/olive oil roasted potatoes and a medley of root vegetables (carrots, turnip, parsnip). Others in our group had the pesto pasta (very creamy but they enjoyed it) and the salmon salad. All portions were generous. Staff was efficient and polite. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be really good...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/20/2014We arrived at 7pm on a Thursday night so it wasn't busy but from the moment the hostess sat us it took 7 minutes for someone to come over and introduce themselves as our waitress. Even though wait staff and the hostess kept walking by. Finally our waitress came and stated "no one told me you were here" So, the wait staff young students from the college and are not the most experienced and need lessons on how to interact with them. There was no kind of rolls served or separate utensils for salad/entree, no placemats etc... Food was good and unique - dessert was okay. Had key like pie but it was like something you could make with jello pudding. Expected more for our money.
- Red Onion has a variety ofCAgirlDined on 2/21/2014Red Onion has a variety of items to choose like salads, soups, sandwiches, burger bar, whole wheat crust pizza, as well as chicken, beef, fish, & pasta entrees. My favorites: artichoke dip, pizza, french dip sandwich, chocolate peanut butter ice cream pie (so delicious). It's not a place to go if you're interested in a fast meal because service tends to be a little slow. I reserved a table using Open Table which was ready & waiting for us.Special Features:
- Very good burgers! ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/29/2014Very good burgers! Service was also very good. Good value for the price. We will return.Special Features:
- Excellent Restaurant we discoveredRobinDined on 1/19/2014Our waitress was very attentive and the food was excellent! Love the suggestions our waitress gave us!!Special Features:
- Still living up to it's legend...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/30/2013I am so happy to have a place in Boone that's been around for so many years and still makes me happy after sharing lunch. Not sure what they are putting in their chicken caesar - you have to try it. Highly recommended for lunch.Special Features:
- Fine food and serviceLynnusa2000VIPDined on 12/27/2013Hubby had the nachos plus bean soup (black). I had french onion soup and spinach/artichoke quesadillas. We shared a blondie brownie with ice cream for dessert. Food came and was hot and tasty. Service was pretty good. We always enjoy our visit to the Red Onion. Food is not all that fancy but it's not expensive and service is always very good.Special Features:
- We enjoyed our meal very much.CJ03Dined on 10/19/2013We enjoyed our meal very much. I had the chicken special with squash and greens. The chicken was cooked perfectly and the squash puree with chutney was delicious! My husband had the rib-eye and he said it had tremendous flavor. We will return to The Red Onion on our next visit to Boone!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would definitely go backDinealotVIPDined on 10/17/2013While setting and service were average, the food here was very good across the board. In an area of the state with mostly fast food and/or fried food this restaurant is a welcome find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappontedAsteedDined on 10/14/2013Ordered their signature Salmon dish. The polenta was charred on the bottom. Took so long to get the dish I did not send it back. I ordered a side of broccoli. Barely steamed and unseasoned. It was old. Some of the stems were brown. I did mention this to the waitress and she took it off my ticket. Would not recommend.
- Good food in an atmosphereMaryBVIPDined on 10/5/2013Good food in an atmosphere that does not match the food. Out of date interior and pricy for overall experience. Need to update
- Eh. Good but others better.WFRJDined on 9/28/2013Eh. Good but others better. Felt too closed in. Great for under 25s on a date or hanging.Special Features:
- good local placeNYCFoodieDined on 8/31/2013Food uses local suppliers and had great variety. Very kid friendly. I had local goat cheese, farmers market beets and local greens. Definitely a spot to try in Boone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Restaurantjosy968Dined on 8/30/2013I love the restaurants ambiance and food. It's an amazing place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visit for our friendsBikersDined on 8/2/2013We made reservations for 8 pm, and since our friends were running late, the restaurant seated us outside. My husband ordered an appetizer for us to share while we waited. Once they arrived, we ordered dinner. Trout, pizza, and a burger were greatly enjoyed by all, and there was leftover pizza for us to take home. We love coming to the Red Onion, and this was the perfect place to entertain our friends. The food is great, and the wait staff is great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time in BooneAMGVITOVIPDined on 7/27/2013We loved the Red Onion. I had the Tuscan Pepper Chicken and my lovely wife had the Flourintine Chicken. Our waitress made an excellent Manderin Infusion cocktail for me. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Consistent!!!CANYAKVIPDined on 7/12/2013The food and service has been consistently above average ! This was our third visit in as many yrs for vacation !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family timeCNathanDined on 7/6/2013We had a terrific experience ate Red Onion. We love a classic martini once in a while and these were wonderful! The pizzas were perfect --crusty and yeasty. My husband had the meat lasagna and said he could not eat it all when he was served. He all but licked the casserole dish!. We've had many family dinners and lunches at Red Onion over the years and it never fails to please.Special Features:
- Nice PlacehikerjimDined on 7/5/2013Friendly staff, very good service. A good restaurant for a relaxed meal. If you want a romantic setting, perhaps somewhere else, but for good food and a friendly atmosphere, it's fine. Across the street from App State dorms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dining choice in Boone!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2013Nice, quaint Boone restaurant next to ASU campus. Reasonably priced and very nice, accommodating staff. Our favorite dish was the artichoke appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly restaurant with good foodCarolinaGirlVIPDined on 7/2/2013We brought friends visiting us in Blowing Rock to the RO. The food was very good...from the salads to the quesadillas to the French Dips. RO's signature onion rings were excellent~with just the right amount of breading. We chose to eat inside because of the iffy weather, but the outside porch looks great. The RO doesn't pretend to be anything other than what is it...a friendly, casual restaurant with good food. It had been quite a while, but we will return for lunch and dinner. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Gonna try it againLynnusa2000VIPDined on 5/25/2013Went on Saturday evening. I had the smoked gouda with red pepper soup (their special) and a spinach and artichoke quesadilla, my hubby had a house salad and the baked linguini. The portions were large. Hubby's spaghetti looked a little dry to me, but he said it tasted okay. It had meatballs, cheese and some tomato sauce on the linguini. My soup was fantastic. The quesadilla had 6 large triangles and were relatively filled with spinach and artichoke. The flavors were good. We had a chocolate peanutbutter pie which was very tasty as well. The server was ok, but not super attentive. We will try again to see if we were missing something. Really wanted to like it, but found it mostly just ok, not fantasticSpecial Features: