Red O- Los Angeles
8155 Melrose Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90046Neighborhood:
Beverly / Fairfax / La Brea / Third St.
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Red O- Los Angeles
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3236555009
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm to 10:00pm, & Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Brunch: Sunday 10:30am-3:00pm
Social Hour: Sunday-Friday 5:00pm to 7:00pm, Saturday 4:00pm to 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Efren Cardenas
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: On & Off site catering, reception style, seated dinner, tasting menus, etc. Sit back relax & lets us bring the creations of Top Chef Masters & James Beard Award Winning Celebrity Chef Rick Bayless into your home or office.
- Special Events: Please contact our Events Coordinator Ryan Fields at email@example.com. Weddings, Corporate Functions, Birthdays, Launch Parties, Red Carpet Events & more! . We look forward to hearing from you!
A word from Red O- Los Angeles
RED O features modern Mexican fare from award-winning Chef-Restaurateur Rick Bayless, the chef responsible for changing the image of Mexican food in America. The menu offers both authentic Mexican and lighter “California-style” dishes, signature items such as the infamous Pollo en Mole Poblano & Mexican Raw Bar & Ceviches. Whether it’s for a formal sit-down dinner with a large group or catching up with friends over a few small bites and cocktails, every guest will find a cozy area to suit the occasion. The bold, cutting-edge space designed by Dodd Mitchell and G+ Gulla Jonsdottir Design features an Atrium with a retractable roof and glass garage doors that open to Melrose Avenue with a 14-foot communal table. A stunning Tequila Tunnel showcasing our one of a kind premium tequila collection leading in to the famed Tequila Lounge & private Garden dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Red O- Los Angeles - Best Restaurants in Beverly / Fairfax / La Brea / Third St. ›
Red O- Los Angeles reviews from OpenTable diners
220 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (123)special occasion (116)great for outdoor dining (90)romantic (83)good for groups (68)hot spot (68)vibrant bar scene (57)great for brunch (52)neighborhood gem (50)late-night find (20)great for lunch (20)notable wine list (19)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Last brunch everlindiweanneDined on 8/31/2014I went for their last brunch which is really a shame. The food is amazing! The service was attentive but not excessive and our waitress was a good sport. Their guacamole is superb and you have to get the churros.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Celebrated a b'day and anniversary with friends and family. We ordered several different appetizers, a bottle of chardonnay and different choices of cocktail drinks(made from fresh ingredients, no mixers) of which all were amazingly. Our dinner choices and portions were perfect. Our waitress, Jackie was awesome and very attentive to our table. The live entertainment was enjoyable. Upon using OpenTable to make the reservation I mad a request for the restaurant to follow and they exactly what was written. Great service. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Red O is always consistent in delivering top notch food, drinks and service. The albacore ceviche is my favorite followed up by the crab and shrimp enchiladas. Jim is a fantastic manager who makes a personal experience with the guests. Red O will not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestrauntPixelwizardDined on 8/29/2014Red O is one of my favorite spots. Great for drinks, or great for dinner and drinks. If your looking for a vibrant scene you found it here. The food is always exceptional and the service is first rate.Special Features:
- Just LoveLittlejelloDined on 8/29/2014I am never disappointed! Beautiful Restruant! Great Service! & Wonderful Food! And Location is very convent. Could not ask for more,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulouskimberVIPDined on 8/25/2014As Mexican food lovers we were excited to see a modern and well designed mexican food temple. Beautiful unique and modern decor, inventive menu and overall original concept. Well executed. Crab and Shrimp enchilada was very good. Fellow diner loved the Halibut as well. Tried the guacamole sampler and all varieties were great. Salsa is flavorful. Drinks were excellent. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GalGirlsniteoutDined on 8/23/2014The food was great. We ate out on the patio and the street noise was high. Our server was excellent and the food was delicious! We had an early reservation and so glad we did because we needed to make the 8:00 show across the street at The Improv.Special Features:
- MadMaddyVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food is WONDERFUL in the Chicago restaurants but here, it needs seasoning. Ordered Mole and it was watery, the chicken, tasteless.
- Cathy DCathyVIPDined on 8/22/2014We experienced a total service breakdown. Our appetizers came quickly, but in the middle of that the Amuse Bouche was unceremonious dumped in front of us. My husband's soup course was deposited next to his empty appetizer plate, no offer to clear it. We then waited 45 minutes before we began to inquire as to where our entrees where. Our server had vanished so we flagged down a busboy. Shortly a supervisor of some sort came by to tell us it would just be a few minutes. Another 15 minutes passed and a manager came and told us it would be 2 minutes. About 15 minutes later we were finally served. The food had obviously been ready for some time as it was barely warm. In the end we were offered drinks and dessert but I won't be back.
- First TimerLisapleVIPDined on 8/19/2014I usually don't dine in this area but we wanted to try something new. The staff was pleasant. We had early reservations because we needed to be at LA Live at 7:30. I noticed the place was hopping at the bar. The food was delicious, fresh, and temperature was just right. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- AwfulCaroDined on 8/15/2014I used to love this place, but wasn't able to go for about 6 months. I went back this week and it's awful. Our appetizers came out quickly, but our food took over 45 minutes. To top it off my dish was slightly warm on the outside and cold in the middle. The three friends that I went with, were also unhappy with their dishes. They were bland and the portions got significantly smaller. This place needs to step it up.. They're trying to renovate themselves into something worse.
- perfect for a large group!BrockVIPDined on 8/10/2014We had a family dinner at the restaurant this past Sunday. The restaurant worked perfectly for all our needs. The "foodies" were happy....the food was delicious. The old fogies were happy...the restaurant was comfortable and pleasant with just the right amount of background music....not blaring! The service could not have been nicer. What a refreshing experience!Special Features:
- Great Food, Sub-Par Service!LosAngelesFoodieDined on 8/9/2014The food was excellent however, the service was to put it gently horrible. We arrived for an 8:00 reservation at 7:50 and were seated right away. Water and chips arrived within 5 minutes with our menus. 20 minutes later our waitress finally showed up asking for our drink selection. We ordered both our drinks and food at the same time. It took another 15 minutes to get our margaritas. Nothing more to say about the dinner or the service. I think that pretty much says it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014The restaurant is beautiful inside, the food is good. We ordered margaritas, which were good, however the glasses they were served in were mostly filled with ice, which was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved loved loved!DeliciousVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great high quality food! Great ambience! Great service! What more can one ask for?Special Features:
- Noteworthy MexicanSerialdinerVIPDined on 8/8/2014There is no shortage of Mexican restaurants in Los Angeles. However, there is a shortage of high end Mexican, and Red-O is one of the few truly well done Mexican restaurants. In addition to the great food, their bar program is equally excellent. No sugary sweet and sour mixes here. The drinks are made from scratch and are exceptional. They even have an extensive Tequila list with plenty of options for the adventurous who aren't driving. You have to try Red-O the next time you craze Mexican.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/7/2014We always enjoy our evening. Looking forward to going to the Red O in Newport BeachSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, mediocre servicefoodie428Dined on 8/3/2014My waitress was very friendly, but basically never came back to check on the table and never asked if I wanted another drink after getting me the first one. I was extremely disappointed in the lack of attention I received based on the caliber of restaurant that I consider Red-O to be. The quality of the food was spectacular. The drink that I did receive was equally fantastic (alacran margarita), though I wanted to order a second. As a diner you need to space out your eating speed because the food was brought out as quickly as the kitchen could cook it, which while delicious, left no space to speak of. I would go back just for the food, but if you're looking for a 5-star place in LA you might find a better experience elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GinnyDined on 8/2/2014Outrageously expensive, but wonderful food...great atmosphere and service...loved Michael Battista and Josh Cruz' music.Special Features:
- Beautiful and Yummy!SabrinaMataDined on 8/1/2014Great ambience, delicious food, good service and a wonderful Frida drink!! I truly recommend the Ahi Tuna and the tradicional guacamole!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to drink but not to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014If you wamt to overpay for your drinks this is the place for you. But dont go for the food, the quality rivals that of Taco Bell.
- Bad NightBaseballVIPDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I have been to this restaurant many times and have had magical experiences. This night the food was great but the service was lousy. Service was long and slow. My main course came cold and clearly was sitting under lights for sometime. Although the waiter comped us a desert for our trouble, sightings of him during the meal was arduous. My wife and I have scored this a bad night that could happen anywhere. It will be interesting as what happens the next time we go.Special Features:
- I do not love Mexican Food BUT!IdoLVIPDined on 7/30/2014If I can avoid Mexican food I do. However my wife loves it and once in a while we will go Mexican. Red O was a surprise. Very tasty not too typical Mexican and all the foods was greatly prepared. The Special Margueritas are to die for. Actually the best I ever had. It is pricy but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!Jesseya1Dined on 7/27/2014Did not disappoint! Food, service was great. Great for groups as you can order small dishes as well as romantic night outs. Atmosphere is fantastic as design and decor is amazing, especially the high celings. Highly recommend this place to locals as well as bringing guests from out of town. Will go back! :)Special Features:
- Upscale and appetizingFoodie4LifeVIPDined on 7/27/2014RedO has done an excellent job making itself over. The pretense and arrogance that once dominated its character are untraceable. The food is so delicious and the service staff is now approachable and attentive.Special Features:
- Out of this world!!!!!!!MelissaLADined on 7/26/2014Went here for the Dine LA and was so impressed! The decor is stunning! Dark, with a sexy glow. The menu is fabulous! The duck taquitos, carnitas entree, and tres leches cake were all amazing! The Skinny Margarita was so good!! Cannot wait to return and try to rest of the menu.Special Features:
- Great table!ILovetoEatDined on 7/26/2014We had the best table on the patio so we could hear our friends' conversation. Thank you, Red-O for accommodating us!! The food was superb as usual although we missed having the tres civiches.Special Features:
- Great foodTsthoughtsDined on 7/26/2014The food was exceptional and we loved the outside dining. The bar and adjacent areas would have been too noisy, but I like a quiet ambience. Ordering was slow, but after that things moved efficiently and the staff were courteous. Will go back again.Special Features:
- Excellent spot... minus the waitMazdDined on 7/25/2014Had a great time here. Food was amazing and service was great. The only thing was the wait. We were there at 9, had a reservation for 9:15 and we didnt get seated until 9:35. It was really busy that night but I felt 20 mins past a reservation is a little much. The bar was nice and the live music awesome! it was a good way to pass the time.Special Features:
- Amazing Mexican FoodfoodiebobbyDined on 7/25/2014A fantastic restaurant with amazing food. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Friday Night Friends IN LAChuntaoDined on 7/25/2014My friends and I like to try new restaurants one Friday a month and we decided to give RED O a try. Great place for ambiance and food for the most part. Two of my friends order the halibut and mentioned it was too smoky and not very good. I had the Carnitas plate and loved it so overall I would definitely recommend this place again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All I can say is........BillVIPDined on 7/25/2014Short Rib Enchiladas.... You will never think of enchiladas the same. YUM!!!
- Great DineLA experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 7/25/2014We returned to Red O to try their DineLA menu. As this restaurant is pretty pricey, this is a great opportunity to try multiple dishes at a more reasonable price. Red O did not disappoint :) . The Baja style ahi tuna sashimi was fresh and light with great flavors and beautifully plated. The 8 oz filet with chipotle crema and Yukon gold potatoes was not the most beautiful dish, but it was full of flavor with a bit of a kick. The filet was perfectly prepared and so tender. The tangerine flan with Mexican chocolate cake and ganache was pretty and a nice ending to a lovely dinner. The amount of food was plenty. The price for 3 courses would have been about $75 - so $45 for DineLA was a great deal! I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Beautiful and RomanticDarstcoachVIPDined on 7/24/2014Are you looking for a beautiful place to take someone in the Hollywood area. Red O might be it. You will be warmly greeted and taken good care of. The food is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Original, Creative and DeliciousbreakfastkingVIPDined on 7/22/2014We LOVED Red O! The whole night, the staff made us feel special. Our server, William, was attentive and friendly. The food is amazing. Besides being flavorful, my Filet Mignon was so tender I could almost cut it with my fork. The corn and goat cheese tamale appetizer, chicken mole poblano and just everything we ordered was fantastic. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- WJJBDined on 7/20/2014Great Alacran Margaritas and Food. DineLA did it's job....I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- pickyeaterVIPDined on 7/20/2014The table was sticky. There were flies landing on the food. The halibut was dry. I have two of Bayliss' cookbooks and was expecting more.
- Beautiful place, very overpricedLAfoodieDVIPDined on 7/20/2014Enjoyed the food, great service, but it was very overpriced for what you get. Beautiful location.Special Features:
- BrunchLuckyDined on 7/20/2014Absolutely unbelievably Fabulous can't wait to repeat!Special Features:
- Great mexican cuisineRedODined on 7/19/2014Loved the food. I am Mexican and I can say that the food was very authentic. From the guac to the enchiladas to the mexican street corn and finally the churros. Expectional service. Jackie was our server. The alacran margarita sure had a bite (a spicy bit). Gotta be careful with that alacran margarita. It will definitely creep up on your. Thanks for the experience Red O.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.