Red O- Los Angeles
8155 Melrose Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90046Neighborhood:
Beverly / Fairfax / La Brea / Third St.
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Red O- Los Angeles
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3236555009x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm to 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Happy Hour: Sunday-Friday 5:00pm to 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Efren Cardenas
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: On & Off site catering, reception style, seated dinner, tasting menus, etc. Sit back relax & lets us bring the creations of Top Chef Masters & James Beard Award Winning Celebrity Chef Rick Bayless into your home or office.
- Special Events: Please contact our Events Coordinator Ryan Fields at firstname.lastname@example.org. Weddings, Corporate Functions, Birthdays, Launch Parties, Red Carpet Events & more! . We look forward to hearing from you!
A word from Red O- Los Angeles
RED O features modern Mexican fare from award-winning Chef-Restaurateur Rick Bayless, the chef responsible for changing the image of Mexican food in America. The menu offers both authentic Mexican and lighter “California-style” dishes, signature items such as the infamous Pollo en Mole Poblano & Mexican Raw Bar & Ceviches. Whether it’s for a formal sit-down dinner with a large group or catching up with friends over a few small bites and cocktails, every guest will find a cozy area to suit the occasion. The bold, cutting-edge space designed by Dodd Mitchell and G+ Gulla Jonsdottir Design features an Atrium with a retractable roof and glass garage doors that open to Melrose Avenue with a 14-foot communal table. A stunning Tequila Tunnel showcasing our one of a kind premium tequila collection leading in to the famed Tequila Lounge & private Garden dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Red O- Los Angeles - Best Restaurants in Beverly / Fairfax / La Brea / Third St. ›
Red O- Los Angeles reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (117)special occasion (100)great for outdoor dining (73)romantic (73)hot spot (67)good for groups (64)vibrant bar scene (52)neighborhood gem (47)great for brunch (30)notable wine list (22)late-night find (18)great for lunch (14)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (4)Show More
- Great food / great experianceBillVIPDined on 10/21/2014Every time it just gets better. Keep up the great work.
- Great service, food and atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014When I made the reservations I posted that we would be celebrating my mother's birthday that evening. I was pleased that this was communicated to our server and the 1st thing she said was Happy Birthday. The food is not only delicious but beautiful in its presentation. We all shared our plates and still had leftovers. And the drinks were fab! Especially the spicy margarita! I can't wait for round 2!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014Great food, atmosphere, service and the Margueritas were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like we were in MexicoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Let me start by saying if your expecting a friendly staff, do go. We were met by a very unfriendly hostess, who proceeded to tell us that our table had been given away to someone else, so much for reservations. The waiter was ok, took forever to take the order. But once done everything else fell into place. The food was amazing. Right on point with what we were expectingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingSelective1Dined on 10/11/2014This is the spot if you want excellent food, innovative yet substantive cocktails, gorgeous ambiance, a classy vibe without being pretentious and high quality, nice staff. I'm a big fan of Mexican food, yet it's hard to find an upscale dining experience with really good Mexican food. Red O accomplishes that and so much more. Outstanding Mexican food, with polish and flair that adds to every delicious mouthful. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in LASsasDined on 10/10/2014This is the second time that I have been to Red O. Everything from the service to the ambience to the food is extraordinary. Live music was a great touch too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/9/2014The restaurant was less than half full and it took 20 min for us to order drinks. And the rest of the meal was very slow
- Great place!!!dadorkjoeyDined on 10/5/2014Great restaurant amazing food. It's mexican food with an exotic touch to it. Great place for friend gathering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Great food and nice ambiance. You have to try it!Special Features:
- Always a great meal!PhyllisVIPDined on 10/4/2014The food is unusual and exceptional. You can depend upon Red-O for a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- ambiance is very niceseafooddietDined on 10/4/2014The food was a little pricey,but delicious,service was great outside dining was relaxed and very comfortable. We were celebrating a birthday the presentation of the birthday dessert was beautiful and most of all I was impressed. The next day when I received a thank you from red o. A very pleasurable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatModeangelDined on 9/28/2014I loved everything we tried: Mole lamb Shrimp and crab enchiladas Corn Mash potatoes MargaritasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Most of my party were enjoying margaritas but I had the most delicious Cosmopolitan; thank you bartender! And the short rib enchiladas were yummy!Special Features:
- Did not meet my expectationsJosh90404Dined on 9/27/2014I'm not sure if I just had such high expectations of Rick Bayless' food, but I was not "wowed" by Red-O. I've been meaning to go to this restaurant for a while now because I've heard such good things about Rick Bayless and his mastery of Mexican cuisine. The menu prices reflect the overall ambiance, the high-end decor, and the prim & proper wait staff, but doesn't quite reflect the quality of food. For prices this exorbitant, you'd expect the food to be much more scrumptious than your average mexican restaurant or home-cooked mexican food. The ingredients may be more expensive (e.g. lobster, duck, short ribs), but the sauces and flavors do not really impress.Special Features:
- Dinner at the Osandler01Dined on 9/26/2014Our food was very good and lots of good items to enjoy. The only down side was staff was missing in action. Once we infromed manager we had a swarm of service. I will go back as the food and local were both very good.Special Features:
- Red O - Friday Date Nighttatted537637143Dined on 9/26/2014Went here with my wife on our Friday night date night. Had been wanting to come here for quite some time. The service was exceptional. The staff is extremely attentive and very nice. The seating.. ehh.. such a small table, cramped in at the front entry area, and seats were dirty. Didn't like that at all. The food (ahi) (enchiladas suizas) were okay. I expected something exceptional with all the hype but it wasn't. I'd probably come back if friends that have never been there wanted to go.. but I think I'd recommend to move on and check out other places first.Special Features:
- Wonderful nightGladIWentVIPDined on 9/21/2014The only thing that compares with the great food, is the great service. Another wonderful evening at Red-O !Special Features:
- Red O a wonderful authentic MexicanLolo0321Dined on 9/20/2014We were celebrating a birthday and loved dining at Red O. It is a beautiful restaurant with live music, great food and we had a friendly waiter as well. Overall a great experience.Special Features:
- Nice for special occasionstopchefsgroupieDined on 9/20/2014The restaurant was very nicely decorated and service was outstanding. Surprised my wife for her birthday and she was impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Lamb with Black Mole was outstanding! Margarita's are totally fabulous. We brought friends with us this time and they loved everything. We all will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantGeobad11VIPDined on 9/18/2014I could never get over how good and innovative RedO is. Its creativity and flavor profile is quite different and unique compared to most Mexican restaurants. I had the enchilada and the sauce was buttery, well-seasoned and overall amazing. The service may have been a bit slow in the beginning. We waited quite a while after being seated before we received any service. I would say 10-15 mins. Working in the service industry myself, I understand that the waitress may have been super busy...I totally get it, but I have to be honest with my review here. I had to go to the bar to get our first drink. Our waitress felt bad and comped the appetizer for us...that was a nice gesture. The evening was amazing overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service!topchef1Dined on 9/18/2014Service was incredible! Everyone who worked there was accommodating to any requests or questions we had. Beautiful decor.Special Features:
- Fine Dining Mexican FoodIlovefoodsomuchVIPDined on 9/16/2014Great food. Only had the appetizers but the margarita is really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014Excellent dining experience! Everything about the restaurant was fantastic. Best service I've had in a very long time. Look forward to going back very soon!!Special Features:
- good food drinks not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014I enjoyed the food. My wife and I thought the menu was a nice change from the traditional Mexican restaurant. Not happy with the drinks. Ordered 2 margaritas they were not consistent, one was more sweet than the other. They had very little tequila in them. At $17 each drink, you would expect a stronger drink. I know its a restaurant but the drinks were not right for the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red O-ohhhh so yummyeastern00VIPDined on 9/6/2014This place over delivered on expectations- the guac was sublime and the entrees were delicious. Great high energy atmosphere, could see this being a great spot for groups. Would definitely return here.Special Features:
- Mouth wateringHappyDinerDined on 9/6/2014Don't look at the menu if you're hungry. Everything sounds delicious. We had the yellowtail ceviche. Fish was good quality, it tasted good, but over priced. I had the lamb mole. It was a very healthy portion and delicious. The mole was unique, unlike any authentic mole, but delicious. My wife had the scallops. She very much enjoyed the sauce served with it. We had the flan for desert. Also very good. I will return to try some other items that sounded good. Decor is nice. Seats are close together, so not so romantic since your neighbors are practically at the same table. Service was a little slow, but very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elevated Mexican CuisinegourmetloverVIPDined on 9/6/2014This restaurant was fantastic! If you think you know Mexican food, you need to try this place. The food was beyond excellent. Even the cocktails were superb and innovative. My husband and I have been wanting to try a Rick Bayless restaurant for years and had thought we had to go to Chicago to do so. Then he opened one in LA and the next time we were in LA together, we took our opportunity. It did not disappoint. Its a noisy, busy, lively place. The service was outstanding, and the food was absolutely wonderful! We will be going back to this place next time we are in LA.Special Features:
- Fresh, Delicious & Celiac Friendlyfishingfan21Dined on 9/5/2014My wife has celiac disease, so when we found out Red-O could accommodate her dietary restrictions, we were thrilled to add a restaurant to a rather short list of neighborhood eateries. The fact that the margaritas are incredible, the food is fresh and delicious, and the staff are all friendly, knowledgeable, and energetic makes this dining experience a great one. Most restaurants mark the items that are gluten free; Red-O marks menu items that DO contain gluten, which says a lot about their attention to detail. Their tortillas are made with gluten free masa, and their chips are fried in a dedicated fryer, never mixing with any breaded items. I highly suggest eating here, and be sure to order the Mexican street corn...it's unreal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just go........TK71Dined on 9/4/2014Great Upscale dining. Yes, Mexican food, Everything we ate was fantastic. Don't miss the carnitas and the short rib enchiladas! Over the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last brunch everlindiweanneDined on 8/31/2014I went for their last brunch which is really a shame. The food is amazing! The service was attentive but not excessive and our waitress was a good sport. Their guacamole is superb and you have to get the churros.Special Features:
- Sunday brunchPointhoarderVIPDined on 8/31/2014Liked the chilaquiles with chicken but found the picada de carnitas to be on the tough side. Great guacamole.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceMandEDined on 8/30/2014Celebrated a b'day and anniversary with friends and family. We ordered several different appetizers, a bottle of chardonnay and different choices of cocktail drinks(made from fresh ingredients, no mixers) of which all were amazingly. Our dinner choices and portions were perfect. Our waitress, Jackie was awesome and very attentive to our table. The live entertainment was enjoyable. Upon using OpenTable to make the reservation I mad a request for the restaurant to follow and they exactly what was written. Great service. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food and ServiceFoodiebrittDined on 8/30/2014Red O is always consistent in delivering top notch food, drinks and service. The albacore ceviche is my favorite followed up by the crab and shrimp enchiladas. Jim is a fantastic manager who makes a personal experience with the guests. Red O will not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestrauntPixelwizardDined on 8/29/2014Red O is one of my favorite spots. Great for drinks, or great for dinner and drinks. If your looking for a vibrant scene you found it here. The food is always exceptional and the service is first rate.Special Features:
- Just LoveLittlejelloDined on 8/29/2014I am never disappointed! Beautiful Restruant! Great Service! & Wonderful Food! And Location is very convent. Could not ask for more,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulouskimberVIPDined on 8/25/2014As Mexican food lovers we were excited to see a modern and well designed mexican food temple. Beautiful unique and modern decor, inventive menu and overall original concept. Well executed. Crab and Shrimp enchilada was very good. Fellow diner loved the Halibut as well. Tried the guacamole sampler and all varieties were great. Salsa is flavorful. Drinks were excellent. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GalGirlsniteoutDined on 8/23/2014The food was great. We ate out on the patio and the street noise was high. Our server was excellent and the food was delicious! We had an early reservation and so glad we did because we needed to make the 8:00 show across the street at The Improv.Special Features:
- MadMaddyVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food is WONDERFUL in the Chicago restaurants but here, it needs seasoning. Ordered Mole and it was watery, the chicken, tasteless.
- Cathy DCathyVIPDined on 8/22/2014We experienced a total service breakdown. Our appetizers came quickly, but in the middle of that the Amuse Bouche was unceremonious dumped in front of us. My husband's soup course was deposited next to his empty appetizer plate, no offer to clear it. We then waited 45 minutes before we began to inquire as to where our entrees where. Our server had vanished so we flagged down a busboy. Shortly a supervisor of some sort came by to tell us it would just be a few minutes. Another 15 minutes passed and a manager came and told us it would be 2 minutes. About 15 minutes later we were finally served. The food had obviously been ready for some time as it was barely warm. In the end we were offered drinks and dessert but I won't be back.