Red Mesa Cantina
128 3rd Street South
St. Petersburg, FL 33701Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
Red Mesa Cantina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.redmesacantina.com/
- Phone: 7278968226x2
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner Nightly: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Caribbean, Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Chris Fernandez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Cantina offers a great range of platters featuring delicious hot or cold hors d" oeuvres. Full sit-down dinners on site, as well.
- Private Party Facilities: We accomodate large parties in our main dining room or courtyard and offer private sit-down dining for groups from 24 up to 66 with advance arrangements. For business meetings, promotional events, receptions, et al, we offer cocktail hor d" oeuvres service and accomodate up to 275 people.
- Private Party Contact: Peter Veytia 7278968226
- Entertainment: Live bands playing contemporary to classic hits on Friday and Saturday nights from 9pm on at the Lucha Bar. Sports on large screens at both the indoor Tequila Bar and the aire fresco, Lucha Bar.
- Special Events: We have a dynamic calendar of events that changes constantly. Check it out on our web site or Facebook.
- Cross Street: 2nd Avenue South
- Public Transit: Free Public Transportation for Tropicana Field sporting events, i.e., Rays games, one block away. A municipal PTSA bus stop is across the street at Publix. Taxi’s all know Cantina.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Plenty of street parking as well as garage and lot parking in the immediate area surrounding the Cantina.
A word from Red Mesa Cantina
A dining experience like no other - an elegant yet relaxed dining room with an open kitchen and Cantina's Tequila Bar, featuring the largest selection of Tequilas and Mezcals on the west coast and offering exotic cocktails, flights and specials. Outdoors, a landmark courtyard with romantic seating around a beautiful water fountain and the locally famous Lucha Bar, an aire fresco bar with flat screens and a lively environment nightly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Mesa Cantina reviews from OpenTable diners
- No Better Way To Start Our NightBLSICDined on 4/18/2013The Duck Quesidillas and hand crafted margaritas were a perfect way to start our night out!Special Features:
- Great food, great staff, amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/16/2013Great food, great staff, amazing service. A definite must eat at place!Special Features:
- We visit at least every otherOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/8/2013We visit at least every other week and the food/service is always consistent. We always bring out of town guests and the fall in love with it as much as we have!Special Features:
- Ok restaurant with Ok food.TEEDocDined on 3/28/2013Ok restaurant with Ok food. The setting/location is nice. The place has potential to grow into a more exclusive, chic establishment (if the owners wanted to take it there) but right now is a bit rough around the edges and lacks focus (I.e. neither 100% sports bar, restaurant etc but all kind of mixed up).Special Features:
- Great food, service and ambiance.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/21/2013Great food, service and ambiance. Only disappointment is they even charge for the salsa (2.50), and a small bowl of guacamole is expensive (7.50)!Special Features:
- In all honesty...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013This was mine and my girlfriends second time there and it was great! We tried different items from the first time and were not disappointed. This place has good pricing in the sense that your dinner for two could be 30-40$ or you can go all out and still be under $100. Our server had perfect timing and nice without being over bearing. Overall this has become one of my more favourite places to eat after just 2 times. Just wish I didn't live on the other side of the county. Dinner: pitcher of sangria; trio dip app; 2 a la carte tuna tacos; carne Assada steak; other skirt steak dinner; and apple empanadas. Total: $88 and change before tip.Special Features:
- Fist time here and what aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/14/2013Fist time here and what a find. The food was so good and drinks where great. Great place for a to hang out with a group or you loved ones.Special Features:
- We met friends from Port CharlotteOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/15/2012We met friends from Port Charlotte before going to see Cirque de Sol. The meal started off the evening in a great way. Our friends were impressed with our choice for dining, but we had been to the Cantina before as well as to the 4th St location of Red Mesa several times. We keep coming back because we always enjoy the meal and the service.Special Features:
- Food was just fine. The garlicOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/17/2012Food was just fine. The garlic in the shrimp mojo de ajo should have been sauteed longer, but the overall dish was delicious.Special Features:
- I was very disappointed inTroehVIPDined on 9/8/2012I was very disappointed in the fact that the menu here is very different than the 4th St location. They don't have nearly as many full entrees, fish or even the enchiladas. It is very noisy and just not as good as the 4th st location. The outdoor area is very pretty, but it seems to be more of a bar-type atmosphere.Special Features:
- Went here for a late lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/23/2012Went here for a late lunch and food and atmosphere was very good. Only complaint was that our meal came out minutes after our appetizer. Next time will order appetizer first, then meal.Special Features:
- Good EnergyvisdinerDined on 7/21/2012Enjoy girls night out here. Great food and good energy. The only negative was after providing good service, the waitress ditched us once she left the checks.Special Features:
- The entrees here were prettyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2012The entrees here were pretty darn good. I got the scallop ceviche and was very impressed. My friends were all very impressed with their food as well. The atmosphere was fun! The outside patio was a bit full, so we sat inside - which was nice, as well. I totally want to go back!Special Features:
- We go here often but on thisOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/12/2012We go here often but on this Thurs noisy group at bar who were annoyingSpecial Features:
- One of the best flank steaksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2012One of the best flank steaks I've ever had. Passion Fruit Margarita's started the night off perfectly!Special Features:
- Outstanding in every aspect.finefoodieVIPDined on 6/12/2012Outstanding in every aspect. Great menu with bold flavors! Very good service in a lovely room.Special Features:
- Love the atmosphere and the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2012We went for lunch during the week - pleasantly surprised that it was not over crowded and that they took reservations. Duck tacos are always great, along with the Yucca fries. Everyone in my party enjoyed their meals. Always a great place for a lively meal and great atmosphere. We dine here frequently.Special Features:
- The food tasted fine, butdoolioVIPDined on 5/20/2012The food tasted fine, but the plate my main dish was brought in was hotter than the actual food. If the kitchen can't figure out how to time the preparation of an order, then that's just a shame. I coulda stayed home if I wanted a microwave dinnerSpecial Features:
- Overcooked and dried out.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2012Overcooked and dried out. Too much reliance on sauces. My cheese enchilada was harder than a taquito and Mom's chicken needed a steak knife to cut. Past experiences everything very good to excellent. Bad nite or new chef?
- Awesome place - good food,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2012Awesome place - good food, service, and people. I recommend the margaritas, duck tacos, and mofongo (appetizer)!Special Features:
- Red Mesa Cantina had an energeticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/24/2012Red Mesa Cantina had an energetic atmosphere enhanced by its great staff. The historic brick building is beautifully decorated with themed artwork without being overpowering. The outside dining area is a courtyard still inside the restaurants walls so it offers open air without the bother of passing people.Special Features:
- Unique Tex Mex optionsHoodiesDined on 4/22/2012Red Mesa has an exotic menu of chef inspired tex mex. If you are looking for a boring taco or burrito, don't waste your time. Red Mesa while a little expensive is built for those that like great flavors and unique combonations. Since it is downstairs from Push Ultralounge in Downtown St. Petersberg, you will deal with a bar atmosphere if there past 9 PM. I enjoy the mix of resteraunt and bar for a small group looking to go out on the town without clubbing. I had the dorado (Mahi Mahi) on top of some cooked plantains and it was excellent light meal, with good flavors. Perfect with a Pilsner of your choice.Special Features:
- Our table of 6 people hadOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/12/2012Our table of 6 people had a variety of dishes and everyone enjoyed their choices. Our waitress was attentive and pleasant. If back in St.Pete we will go there again.Special Features:
- Food was delicious, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/9/2012Food was delicious, service was good and servers very friendly and efficient. Omissions and/or substitutions were no problem for this restaurant...how refreshing. The outside courtyard was just great. Would definitely recommend this most enjoyable dinning experience.Special Features:
- Great Mexican Inspired food...OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/5/2012Red Mesa Cantina is an awesome restaurant with great experimental Mexican food! The drinks are interesting and very tasty and the traditional margaritas are perfect on a warm night. The inside is very trendy, but it is all about the outdoor patio and bar. The water fountain provides great ambiance. Be warned this place is a little loud, so be ready to talk above the crowd/DJ. However, the food and drinks make up for that. While the meals may look normal sized be warned that you will not go away hungry. The duck tacos are always a staple, but the duck quesadilla is great for sharing. Perfect place to start the evening before hitting the other bars in Downtown St. Petersburg.Special Features:
- They don't tell you, but youFormerVirginianVIPDined on 4/3/2012They don't tell you, but you WILL be charged for extra jalapenos!!! Not cheap either!Special Features:
- Poor service at Red Mesa CantinaRussVIPDined on 3/15/2012Great location in downtown St. Pete. Food was good, but service was terrible. After being promptly seated, I waited 10 minutes with numerous servers passing us, but no interest. I finally flagged a server down and asked her who was responsible for serving our table. She said she'd find out. Five minutes later, she came back and took our drink order. At least five minutes later, the drink order arrived, delivered by our "actual" server. From then on, service was improved but slow. If we had known the area better, we would have walked out. When the server delivered the check, I asked him why it took so long to get service, and he said that the hostess made a mistake. Not a good response.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/11/2012I always enjoy this place for brunch. I drive all the way from brandon just to eat their brunch and their mojitos are made perfect every time. But during the spring/summer if you eat outsife make sure you're seated under an umbrella or u will burn up.Special Features:
- Red Mesa on 3rd St S in St POpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/4/2012Red Mesa has two restaurants and the atmospheres are very different.Special Features:
- Handmade Margaritas are toRNFoodieDined on 3/3/2012Handmade Margaritas are to die for. No mix here, just freshly squeezed limes, agave nectar best I've ever had. Try the Cuestion Tequila.Special Features:
- Won't honor reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/2/2012They refused to honor the reservations taken on Open Table as they "don't take reservations on the weekend". They required us to wait over an hour for a table outside and never recommended that we go inside as ther was a different waiting list inside the restaurant. We have been coming to this restaurant since it opened but the last three times I was there on the weekend, the service has been awful and the hostesses are clueless. I really do like this place but it may be awhile before I return as I have a bad taste in my mouth from the last three visits.Special Features:
- Red Mesa Cantina - fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/25/2012Red Mesa Cantina - fabulous food, fun spot for an evening out! Had issue with reservation which was unfortunate, but did not ruin the evening.
- First of hopefully many visitsStPeteSamplerDined on 2/11/2012This was my first visit and definitely won't be my last. The feel was fun and energetic and I would definitely like to go back with friends, especially to enjoy the outdoor seating. Loved the food. The duck taco was great, loved the richness of the duck matched with the goat cheese and spices. El Gordo burrito was full of flavors. Look forward to sampling more of the menu. The service was friendly, helpful with suggestions, but just a tad less attentive than would have liked.Special Features:
- We were thrilled to find thatRubyVIPDined on 2/10/2012We were thrilled to find that everything anyone said about Red Mesa was true. Great food, location etc etc......will definitely go back - perfect for small intimate dining or with groups. Food well presented, great service.Special Features:
- Small portions at high pricesDeliciosoDined on 1/27/2012We were very disappointed. While the food was really different it was more than outweighed by the small portion allocations of both the cocktails and the entrees. Our bill was $100 for 2 very small margaritas and 2 small entrees. To summarize, Red Mesa is a Mexican/Southwestern resaturant with gourment restaurent prices. Seems like a disconnect, eh?Special Features:
- I am very dissapointed whenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/1/2012I am very dissapointed when I showed to red mesa cantina few minutes before my reservation and the host told me they DO NOT take any reservations at all.... I would like to know why do you have red mesa cantina on open table web site?? I wish I could say it was good but it turn to be the worse brunch I ever bee, 1hour waiting....may be this is an awful web site?
- Food is simply terrible. WhatOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/28/2011Food is simply terrible. What didn't have any taste, tasted bad. We tried 5 different things as they all sounded so good on the menu. We left all of them on the plate after one bite. Really abysmal.
- Very modern "Tex-Mex". GreatVirginia9Dined on 11/11/2011Very modern "Tex-Mex". Great flavor on everything. I personally have an issue with seafood on traditional "Mexican" entrees, but my wife loved it.Special Features:
- Food was very good,serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/11/2011Food was very good,service medium, probably should have gone to more formal dining room. Noisy but tolerableSpecial Features:
- We were in St. PetersburgOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/4/2011We were in St. Petersburg for a conference and ended up going to both Red Mesa Restaurant and Red Mesa Cantina. We enjoyed both meals. The Cantina has a vibrant downtown location, and there's quite a hum inside. The atmosphere is modern and casual. The service was excellent, and we had a very nice meal--standard southwest, but with a little flair of its own. Service is quick, but there is no feeling of being rushed. We ate inside, but there was a pleasant-looking outdoor seating area. We'd go back!Special Features: