Red Maple - Baltimore
930 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Red Maple - Baltimore
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.930redmaple.com/
- Phone: (410) 547-0149
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday: kitchen CLOSED/ lounge opens 8pm, Tuesday: 5pm - 10pm, Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm; Lounge open until 2:00am every day
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Chef Colin Innes
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only)
- Special Events: New Year's Eve 2013...for full details visit www.930redmaple.com
A word from Red Maple - Baltimore
Since opening in December 2001, red maple has become the place in Baltimore to experience the modern lounge vibe. Exotic cocktails, artisanal small plates and mod-lounge sounds echoing off of a unique retro-modern architecture are the products of our passion for creating this vibe. Located in the historic and cultural district of Mt. Vernon, red maple offers a critically acclaimed fare, resident and guest djs and an atmosphere that will lounge you deep into the night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Maple - Baltimore reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (14)fit for foodies (12)late-night find (11)romantic (11)neighborhood gem (9)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (6)special occasion (4)notable wine list (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/22/2014Red Maple is not a spot for older diners. Too dark, too load, too worn. Service started out good and went down hill. If we were to go again it would be later & we would sit at the bar. As we were arriving at 6 they were taking a reservation for a party of 6 at 7. This might be what caused the service delay.
- Tapas in BaltimorepmrthirdVIPDined on 11/19/2014Haven't been here in awhile. Looked up menu including happy hour menu on line and was excited to go. When I got there, the menu had changed. Unfortunately, several items they were out of, so I found the menus limited. However, what I did order was very good! The chicken skewers and soft shell tacos were great (and tasty)! Also tried the pumpkin fritz which were good too. Wine selection was good as well. All in all, I enjoyed the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent cheese board and tasty tapas.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/15/2014I came to Red Maple to drink wine and snack. I ordered a couple skews and the cheese board which was perfect with tempranillo recommended by the bartender. A good cheese board is surprisingly difficult to find and this was a good cheese board. It included three cheeses with distinct characteristics, fruit and chutney for some sweetness and interesting breads. The only thing missing was the bowl of olives, which I'm hoping they'll add to the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Maple ReviewJoeyDined on 11/14/2014Went at 6 o'clock on a Friday and it was not very busy. It was rather cold inside as they had not turned the heat on yet on a cold November day. The heat seemed to be turned higher or on midway through the dinner. Food was great. Highly recommend the lobster dumplings, crab cakes and lamb burgers. Drinks were hit and miss. I disliked the Mz Behavin while the Jungle Fever was okay. Dessert was incredible, we got the pumpkin creme brûlée. Very good, could have been served a tad warmer though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LacklusterEasyriderDined on 11/14/2014The tapas quality was inconsistent. The salmon, eggplant dip and chicken skewers were fine. the tacos and dumplings not so fine.Special Features:
- Excellent tapas, excellent serviceClearCreekVIPDined on 11/7/2014Looking for interesting meal before event at the Lyric Opera, happened upon Red Maple. We were there early, and it was quiet (the trendy younger crowd comes later). Service was great - attentive, interested in us and interesting in her own. The curry crab was the hit, followed closely by lobster & shiitake and my personal favorite, honey glazed parsnips. Chorizo tacos were appropriately spicy, and the pork loin a personal favorite (my date was just okay with the pork loin). Finished with a carrot cupcake, which was rich, moist and almost too much for two to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live it!ChefElleDined on 11/5/2014This was my first experience doing Tapas and it was a great one... The Lobster tacos was the highlight of my evening... Great drinks too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014service is a tad slow for tapas, especially when there were only 4 diners. crabcakes took more than 30 min to come out and a salad took 15-20. Ambiance and servers are nice enough. Furniture seriously needs some updating.Special Features:
- Fun with Small but yummy plateskawolfDined on 11/1/2014We took a chance to book an early visit and were the first customers of the night. Seated in front of the fireplace, our meal unfolded with prompt and well appointed service. The variety of plates included mushroom & leek dumplings, salmon & avocado salad with wasabi peas and crab cake sliders. The wine list is small but the cocktail list more substantial. Overall, the food was well prepared and served Promptly, allowing us a relaxed and yummy dinner before the symphony.Special Features:
- Consistently greathappyneighborDined on 10/24/2014We have loved this spot for years. Great atmosphere great food. It's a fun and easy place to go with a large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food. great funMaddyK429Dined on 8/15/2014My husband and I had dinner at Red Maple for the first time recently and really enjoyed it. Friends of mine had told me the food was amazing, and they weren't kidding! It's quite the hidden gem! It is a lounge so plates are small (tapas) and shareable. Being a rare night without the kids, husband and I had a great time and stayed for a lot longer than we expected, sharing dishes and chatting. The staff was great. Nothing but accommodating. Favorites: mountain bird cocktail, white fish, ceviche and the scallops. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant Week menu!VanessaVIPDined on 8/1/2014I usually combine my dinners at Red Maple with a late night get-together with friends but this time we headed downtown for an early dinner. The Restaurant Week menu gives some really nice choices (to vegetarians as well!!). The watermelon salad is outstanding, and everything on the Surf&Turf plate was cooked to perfection. My friends were very happy with the white fish and the stuffed portabello. Only two desserts to choose from, but if you are a chocolate-addict (like me) you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- The following 318 reviews are from the Red Maple - Baltimore reviews archive.
- Good FoodecfoodieVIPDined on 7/25/2014Food was great, great variety but it's so dark you can barely see what you are eating.Special Features:
- LafosLafosDined on 7/24/2014I was somewhat surprised by the PORTIONS. I would NEVER go to that restaurant if I did not have the coupon. I was the only patron at the time I visited.Special Features:
- AmbienceJayTDined on 7/17/2014The environment was very visually appealing. The food was pallet pleasing and the service was awesome. The music however was too loud for dinner, we had to scream to hear each other while sitting side by side.Special Features:
- fun dance spot, decent tapasbmorestuarantbratiniDined on 7/17/2014on a Thursday night, it seemed more like an empty club with a quiet happy hour..however, the bar tender had good recommendations and the tapas were better than we expected. Had I not been feeing so old, i would have stayed and gotten a few rounds and danced awhile.Special Features:
- Best for late-nightMECCDined on 7/17/2014We got dinner here before a show, so very early at 5:30pm. As a result, we were the first people there and the service was great and attentive, the bartender even gave us free glasses of sangria that he was mixing for that evening and the waiter was very nice. The food was pretty good- great tenderloin, lamb burger, and spanikopita. A couple mediocre tapas dishes (crab samosa and lychee salad) but all in all a tasty meal. However, the place is definitely best experienced with dim lights and more people-- otherwise you notice the somewhat dingy decor including slightly ratty benches and burn marks on the tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much food!vandpDined on 7/15/2014We had the tapas for four and loved it! There were so many dishes to sample and we we had more than enough food. Loved it and will go again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/18/2014It was very good. Living Social deal was a great value. The second bottle of wine was only $11.Special Features:
- The good and the badGandBDined on 6/13/2014The Good: Terrific food. Good service. Great Happy Hour prices. The Bad: Way too dark--can't even see the menu. Uncomfortable seating (half seats have no backs). Have to lean over the low tables to eat--not a pretty picture!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WTF? this place could be more..Baltimore68Dined on 6/6/2014The place needs a major refresh. Service in nice and friendly. Food is good but dated. The interior is god awful. Needs a major refresh.Special Features:
- QuickBiteBeforeBSOMusicAndFoodDined on 6/6/2014Friday night at 6:30 was great, because service was extra fast and the concert was at 8. We tried 5 or 6 small plates and enjoyed them all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great experienceeatstreetDined on 5/10/2014Go here for the experience of a nice ambience - dim lighting, fireplaces at each table, comfy cushy seating and even better food. I've been here several times, mainly for the food (lamb burgers anyone?), but also to get a nice chill spot to relax with my hubby. I addition to the lamb burgers, we had the seared duck, fried goat cheese, pork flatbread, and something else I can't remember but it was delicious. We finished off with the crème brulee dessert. Also very yummy. It took a while to get waited on bc our server was very busy at other tables as well. So this place could benefit from having more servers especially on a busy night. But that didn't ruin our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tables and chairsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014Tables and chairs have burn marks all over them, apparantly from Hookah night. Waiter brough all 6 tapas ordered by 2 people at the same time.Special Features:
- dinerVIPDined on 4/26/2014The food was good and well presented. The atmosphere was lacking as it is set up to be a night club. Furnishings were less than desirable and well used.
- Meh.TravelingTexanVIPDined on 4/17/2014Very uncomfortable seating w/ upholstered benches that are tattered & worn. Food was pretty good. Poor selection of wines. Not a comfortable place to relax & enjoy wine with tapas.
- Not Impressed...DineOnADime14Dined on 4/12/2014The menu selections were limited. The small plate and entrée were about the same regarding portions but the entrée cost more. I took my boyfriend there to celebrate his birthday and was embarrassed throughout the entire evening. The tables were very low, making eating awkward and the food was overcooked and overpriced. Our waitress was great but he could only do but so much. There was nothing special about my event at Red Maple. Overall experience, I wasn’t impressed and would never return.Special Features:
- Nice relaxing PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/9/2014Had a really great time for a middle of the week happy hour. Food really good, service outstanding, and very relaxing. Value for the money and lots of neat menu items to try. I will visit again and hope you give the place a try if you like new things and not your run of the mill sit down dinner experience. Stepping out of the traditional confort zone was worth the visit to Red MapleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and great foodFoodDudeDined on 4/4/2014This place is a little nondescript on the outside, but inside it looks great. The place feels really hip and modern. The food is great too. We got the apricot salad,scallop grits, and duck breast. It was all delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJenniferDined on 4/4/2014Went here for dinner around 6:30 on a Friday-- it was basically empty. By contrast, walking by on a Sunday evening, the place was packed. The grilled apricot salad was absolutely amazing. Not impressed by the cheese plate. Cocktails were well balanced and offered a variety of unique flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once of the last standingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2014The kitchen at RM has the tapas down. Lots of variety, high quality and an acceptable price range. That said, i might not dine there again because the once Mediterranean European lounge flair gave way to a hip hop night.Special Features:
- l love the place...everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014l love the place...everything was great, except they could benefit from having additional wait staff. It would be nice if they had a tad bit more lighting! !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration turned disappointment!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014Highly recommend by my Son and excited to try Red Maple. Attractive place, good bar service but once seated our experience soured. While the waiter was polite, he was spread thin and spent the evening in the weeds. Food was OK but when we were finished and ready to move on to the next venue, it took forever to get a check and then I had to track our server down 3 times in order to get him to take payment, run my card and still had to search him out to sign and get my card back the whole time our limo waited patiently, running up $$. 45 minutes later we finally get out but missed our show! Wasted tickets & more $s but more importantly "Harshed my Mellow"!! Bartender was great the one positive, should have ordered dinner from the bar.
- 30th Birthday CelebrationTopShelfDined on 3/15/2014Overall, the resturant is a good hot spot for those in their late 20s to early 50s. The staff were friendly and accomodating. The food was the best i've had in Baltimore honestly. My ownly gripe is that the place has a weird smell. It's like the carpet needs to be taken up and replaced. It's also a little difficult to hear if you're having conversations with people sitting across from you at the table. I'd definitely recommend the place. I'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okAlisonDined on 3/14/2014Food - We ordered the chef's menu for 6 people to feed 3 guys and 1 girl. It was enough food and it was fairly good, but most of it was fried. Maybe if we had just picked the tapas we would have liked our food more, otherwise only the steak and lamb burgers were good. Ambiance/noise -The overall restaurant was nice, however, the benches in the back were hard to sit on and a little unstable. The noise though was extremely loud for a 7:30 dinner. I know this place turns into a night club after, but beforehand the music does not need to be blaring. I couldnt really carry on a conversation because the music was so loud. Service - our waitress was good, pretty attentive. Overall - I could go back, but definitly not for a full dinner.Special Features:
- AwkwardOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/14/2014We first thought the restaurant was hard to find; there is no outdoor signage. We arrived and were only the second couple there at nearly 7pm. The ambiance is awkward- low lighting, empty, no tables and chairs. Seating is lounge-style with low tables, which makes eating difficult. Our first few plates were great: lamb burger, mushroom and leek ball, and steak. The plates we ordered after were a major disappointment. By the time we left, we were the only diners in the restaurant- and this is at nearly 8pm. The service was OK, our waitress brought our food and drinks but did not go above and beyond for anything. Despite being one of only two tables filled, they reported us as a "no show" to open table, which is worth mentioning.Special Features:
- Not just for dance parties!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014On the Bmore food spectrum, RM is definitely on the upper half, especially considering it's rep. as a dance/lounge bar. For tapas, the portions are large and filling so lots of bang for your buck. We appreciated service that was friendly and attentive to my friend's dietary needs. House bottle of red was an easy-drinking, bright red fruity Spanish Barolo. Again, a lot of bang for your buck. Flare bartending was an added benefit since we got there before the late night scene picked up. Once it did, we had a blast! Ladies night plus dancing and great people all around! Design/layout was stylish and impressive. Looking forward to the courtyard-esque area in warmer weather! Will repeat and do recommend.[Note: potential bias b/c groupon]Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodVanessaVIPDined on 3/6/2014Delicious food, excellent service. Had my birthday party there, with a group of friends. LOVE their fireplaces, so good for a Happy Hour get-together. And they have an outdoor patio, perfect for the warmer spring evenings. Will definitely go back, very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun foodwnailDined on 3/5/2014The food was very good and our server was great. He was very informative, made great suggestions, and was on top of things. As far as tapas goes, the plates are small, but the prices are good too so it averages out. The taste is great! I recommend going on a weeknight if you want a more quiet and romantic style meal as there are fewer people and less noise.Special Features:
- Great varietyMutemoDined on 3/1/2014Food was delicious, we sat on padded benches next to Fireplace- it would have been nice if they had pillows or rests behind us as all of our backs hurt after a while. But all in all a great experience- good for groups- warning- small plates are SMALL- may want to order 2 or 3 of the same if everyone wants a biteSpecial Features: