Red Lulu Cocina & Tequila Bar
94 Lafayette Street
Salem, MA 01970Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Red Lulu Cocina & Tequila Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lolitatequilabars.com/
- Phone: 9785944282
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Saturday 5:00pm - 1:00am
Sunday 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Brian Roche
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining
- Entertainment: Live Dj on Saturday nights
A word from Red Lulu Cocina & Tequila Bar
Located in heart of Salem Ma, Red Lulu Cocina & Tequila Bar is a bawdy neighborhood cantina serving playful interpretations of Mexican-inspired cuisine. With a selection of over 180 choice tequilas, Red Lulu offers guests a decadent Mexican experience. The dark, polished décor is lightened by notes of crimson and amber, presenting a vibrant and youthful ambiance fit for a night of revelry. Serving food & drink seven days a week, Red Lulu Cocina & Tequila Bar is located at 94 Lafayette Street, Salem Ma. For more information visit www.redlulusalem.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Lulu Cocina & Tequila Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- Awesome!luvitDined on 10/11/2013From the moment I walked in I thought it was great. Unique décor and great ambiance. The food and drinks had great selections, they came fast and were delicious! The waiter was awesome!Special Features:
- Fun PlaceeverymanDined on 10/10/2013Too bad we were heading for the theater which limited how much time we could spend here. We arrived very early to get a drink and a quick bite before the show. It was pretty quiet when we arrived but people were arriving as we were leaving. This place has a great bar with imaginative drink offerings. Really liked the Diablo margarita I had! The staff was very relaxed and friendly. We all had an appetizer dish with our drinks as it was too early for us to be ready to tuck away a full meal. There was a good sized menu of mexican dishes. Some nice unexpected perks were the tasty dip choices for the chips and the coffee service options. I could have happily spent a bunch of time there and will return to do just that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lulu'sTorelliDined on 9/28/2013Great experienced rom start to finish! Fun little touches. Waiter K.Powers very friendly, experienced and knowledgable. Food was very good but not gourmet if that is what you are looking for. Generous portion sizes. The seared tuna was sushi rare, not much sear,(although all of it disappeared . we should have asked for medium which was the way our party would have preferred. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-enthusiastic waiterchickenbuttDined on 9/21/2013This was our second visit to Red Lulu and we had the same waiter as our first visit, Kenny. Every item we picked from the menu was his "favorite". He said the same thing about our choices the first time also. When a new group sat down at a table next to us he told them that their choices were his favorite also. It was a little funny the first time, this time it was a little over the top and annoying. When we tried to decide what to get for dessert I would have appreciated an honest answer to my question, instead we got his standard line, "that's my favorite dessert". Unfortunately the dessert he recomended wasn't very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING Food!PapaGlenn121Dined on 9/15/2013This was our second time at Red LuLu's. This visit was even better than the first. The atmosphere is great.....service staff is stellar and the food is simply amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food/ServiceJellzx6Dined on 9/14/2013Food was so good and plentiful. Had the garlic/ribeye tacos. So delish! Our waitress was excellent. The only down side was, for a Tequila bar, the margarita's we ordered were weak. Way too much ice and it watered down the drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High end Mexican CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2013Great food consistently. Drinks a bit pricey but if you love tequila, this is the place to go!Special Features:
- OutstandingSeanDined on 9/7/2013Went here for dinner the other night and the food was outstanding. From the appetizers to the dinner and drinks to the dessert everything was awesome. The atmosphere was great and the service was fantastic. I will definitely be returning for another night out as well as with friends and would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place was very good!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2013This place was very good!! The food an ambiance was terrific! Only thing is that the tables are quite small and the seating is very close together. Other than that it was an enjoyable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2013We stumbled upon Red Lulu a few weeks ago. We have been twice and the food and service were both amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh!FCLCDined on 8/17/2013Extremely noisy. Would not rush back. Food was just ok and the service was just ok as well.
- Delivers consistently good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/12/2013This was my 5-6th visit to this restaurant and as usual every thing was great. They reduced the noise level here about 1 year ago, although the place is still very alive and vibrant. The food is of value and is tasting and inventive.Special Features:
- Best Mexican EverOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/10/2013Loved this restaurant!! Started with complimentary chips with 3 types of salsa. Ordered the prime rib tacos and they were delicious!!! Ended with a Tequila chocolate strawberry concoction that was to die for. I wish I wasn't so full as the desserts look so good. Will go back in a heart beat!!! The service was great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Red Lulu! EverytimeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2013I love Red Lulu! Everytime I dine here i get the same thing, fried chicken tacos. I always ask for extra cheese, sometimes i get extra cheese melted onto the tacos, sometimes i get cheese in a little dish on the side. Last night i got melted yellow cheese on my tacos, which usually it is the white chiuaua cheese. Also the chicken can sometimes be a little overfried, almost burnt. But even with the inconsistencies its still delicious and I keep going back!Special Features:
- Fresh food , great waitperson,SuzanneDined on 7/15/2013Great place , a little off the beaten path, at the beginning of Lafayette st. There is parking around but you have to look. We got the chimichanga appetizer , garlic steak tacos , fabulous guacome , and done kind of rich chocolate dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Chic SpotAnn01923Dined on 7/13/2013This is my second time at Red Lulu and it did not disappoint. Very hip vibe with an exciting menu with some wonderful surprises such as: the tequila sorbet they bring steaming with dry ice when you sit down. We had the rib eye and the grilled mahe mahe tacos which were very flavorful with the perfect portions. Afterward, cotton candy is brought....couldn't be more festive and fun. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Pretty goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/4/2013We started with a chicken quesadilla... Tasty. I didn't like my Maui Maui tacos, but he loved his brisket ones. We liked the cornbread and banana dessert. The special cocktail was pineapple mango... Also good. If I liked mt entree, it would have gotten 4 stars.
- Over all good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2013Had an overall good experience. The food was excellent, but felt rushed as we weren't even finished with our appetizers and they were trying to make room on our table for our entrees. Drinks are always made to perfection. We were offended by the attire of one waitress who had on the smallest and tightest shorts along with wearing a tight shirt that showed her stomach. No class! Be careful not to slip on the floors as they seem to be covered with oil.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmbianceAvidLocalDinerDined on 7/3/2013The atmosphere for this restuarant is great, but the service was a bit slow the night I went. I would go again though!Special Features:
- Hot BarLena02Dined on 6/29/2013For Parties Of Six Or More The Seating At The Bar Level Is An Issue. Small Table tops .Became An Annoyance And Detracted From The Experience.Special Features:
- Red Lulu is my go-to spotJK5787VIPDined on 6/28/2013Red Lulu is my go-to spot in Salem. Their food is always great - very consistent. My service is always friendly, helpful and upbeat. Whenever I want to try something new or different, the staff is always there to give me suggestions. I have never been disappointed. The drinks are creative and made fresh - definitely worth the wait while they actually muddle the mint for your strawberry basil mojito rather than pouring in a premade syrup (yuck!). Will be back again (and again).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good drinks, inconsistent foodnarahavetDined on 6/28/2013We've been here many times, and the drinks never fail to disappoint, but the food often does. Sometimes it manages to delight (lobster enchilada appetizer), other times it's worse than what I could make at home (chicken enchilada appetizer). The guacamole is hit or miss - sometimes good, sometimes terrible. I had the pork tacos for dinner the last time we went, and was the only one (party of four) who was happy with the meal. The desserts were dreadful - we didn't eat them. (Some kind of bread pudding and something called bananarama?) But do go to Red Lulu's to drink! The diablo margarita is a favorite of mine. Service is spotty - don't expect professionals here. Just a bunch of newbies trying too hard to act hip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointedWrongNightDined on 5/31/2013We have been a number of times before & were looking forward to the same great experience, man were we surprised. We arrived to a fairly empty restaurant so figured the service would be great. VERY slow to get our initial drinks, one would have thought they went all the way to Mexico to get the tequila. The ribs tasted a day old & it was SO hot in the restaurant that we were sticking to the seats. After an 1.5 hour long drawn out waiting process our waitress thought it was appropriate to bring us a coffee set up, did I mention it was HOT in the restaurant. The one highlight was the always good cotton candy. Have they lost their touch, do they need better training..... I don't know, but something gas to change for us to go back again.
- Mexican foodterexDined on 5/23/2013Very dark ,unusual decorations. Food was great, not huge portions.loved the salsas and chips and cotton candy at the end. Service was good, felt a little rushed. Not for young kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Iron-Pan Corn BreadOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2013Our first time at this restaurant. Very cool! I heard it was loud from previous reviews and it was, but not so bad that you can't hold a conversation. Sangrias are very good. The guacamole dip was good to order with the chips and salsa. Also the corn bread was great. I ordered the shrimp dish which was awesome with five giant shrimp, avocado and spinach. My sweetheart had a chicken and rice dish which she liked. Too full for desert. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Good timeTravelinmanDined on 5/17/2013A fun and energetic place with great food and drinks. Their margaritas were fantastic as were their 4 salsas that came with the chips. The guacamole is amazing too. We just shared a simple meal of brisket beef tacos and were pleasantly surprised by the quality and quantity. Great location in Salem center close to the MBTA train station. Our waiter was great as well; full of tips and info when we askedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing hidden gem in Salem!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/16/2013Our party of 6 ate at Red Lulu's this past week. The waitstaff was impeccable--- Eric made our whole night! When our reservation had to get moved up a 1/2 hour the staff was very happy to accommodate. The food was amazing and the atmosphere is best described as Gothic Chic... a perfect match for the Witch City. While not the cheapest night out, you get what you pay for. With apps, drinks and dinner for 6 we dropped $200, but it was COMPLETELY WORTH IT! We will definitely be returning and bringing many friends. Super swanky date night or special occasion. The only downfall is that there isn't a lot of parking so we ended up walking quite a way, but it was a great night and for such a gem, we didn't mind a bit. :)Special Features:
- We had a terrific dining experienceMelmacDined on 5/12/2013We had a terrific dining experience for Mother's Day. It was fun and different.Best of all my kids chose something besides chicken fingers from the menu! Great drinks and loved the all the food. Would definitely recommend and plan to go back!Special Features:
- Cramped spacesHeidlaDined on 5/4/2013Party of 6 sat at a table that at the very most should have been 4-5max!( 2 of the 3 guys were well over 6 ft tall) We ordered several sides as well as numerous beverages and there was no comfort room whatsoever......(constantly reaching over one another) I've been here several times normally with just 4 people....... They need to come up with a More comfortable place for larger parties,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, so-so executionPaulKDined on 5/3/2013Been here a few times, it's always the same: great atmosphere to hang out and have some drinks, and the basic food options are done well - chips with homemade salsas are very good. But the entrees are a mixed bag - great ideas, so-so execution. For instance, we ordered fish tacos - we got a big chunk of fish on a flour tortilla. Almost no sauce or garnish that you'd typically find on fish tacos (such as spicy cabbage slaw). And the side order of green beans we got was a mixture of well-done (soft) and almost-raw (too crunchy). It wasn't all bad, just overall not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale MexicanNewsgirl01970Dined on 4/29/2013My standard order: share an order each of lobster and blackened mahi mahi tacos with a side of verde rice and pitcher of Margaritas. Very good food but prices high for mexican fare. Good ambiance. Love the extra large booth/tables in the lounge that can comfortably seat 8 friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals in aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/14/2013One of the best meals in a long time -- excellent ambiance and service and the food was exceptional. It was not just a meal, but an experience in true hospitality, with enough humor and quirkiness to make it very memorable. Thank you, Red Lulu!
- Not going backOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/6/2013After reading the reviews we had high hopes for this restaurant. Unfortunately it did not live up to expectations. The dining area was very cramped. Our server was attentive and nice. The food was so-so. The chicken tortilla soup was exceedingly spicy. I asked (kindly) for the kitchen to hold the avocado and potatoes on my dishes and they did not honor this request. The server apologized saying "the cooks can be difficult". We won't be returning.
- Great Mexican food in a funOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/5/2013Great Mexican food in a fun setting (although questionable neighborhood) with a lot of dining surprises start to finish. the margaritas are top-notch. Taco selections make for great sharing. plus I was pleasantly suprised to finally find carnitas done the way they should be old school style. And whatever you do....be sure to order the Churros for desert!Special Features:
- Food was great. CornbreadElaineDined on 4/5/2013Food was great. Cornbread amazing.... And our waitress was the best! Oh... And the desserts, OMG!Special Features:
- Great tequila and margaritas.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/3/2013Great tequila and margaritas. Love the spicy cucumber Free granita and cotton candy is nice too :-)Special Features:
- Good food and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2013The lobster tacos were really good as well as the sides we got (beans and fried mashed potatoes). We also shared the brisket tacos, I didn't love it, but my boyfriend liked it. It was too tough for me. Other than that, great service and drinks are delicious! The only thing I don't love is the tables are really close together, so be prepared for the people next to you to hear your entire conversation.Special Features:
- The flare and detail put intoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2013The flare and detail put into the menu and the concept of the restaurant is great. Always a good time and the food and drinks are amazing.Special Features:
- Red Lulu is the bomb!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/28/2013I loved the food and the decor was excellent. Service was great. I would recommend to anyone. I had a flavor party in my mouth for two days!Special Features:
- what a fun placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/27/2013We had heard about Lulu a few months ago and were anxious to try it. We were not disappointed. Everything was so well presented! Great food - excellent device and one surprise after another will bring us back. I cant wait to do a girls night at Lulu's!Special Features: