39 Stanhope Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Contemporary AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redlanternboston.com/
- Phone: (617) 262-3900
- Hours of Operation:
HOURS OF OPERATION:
Sunday thru Wednesday:
Bar and Lounge: 4:30pm - 12:00am
Dining Room: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar and Lounge: 4:30pm - 1:00am
Dining Room: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Friday & Saturday:
Bar and Lounge: 4:30pm - 2:00am
Dining Room: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Kevin Long
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Red Lantern
A sophisticated, sensual Asian Restaurant and Lounge, Red Lantern features the award-winning cuisine of Chef Kevin Long (Tosca, Stars, Shrine, GEM and Empire). A diverse Asian menu includes appetizers like Wood Fired Skewers, Spicy Lettuce Wraps, Peking Raviolis and Lobster Rangoons. An extensive dinner menu includes Wood Grilled Steaks, Seafood and Chicken Specialties, Wok and Noodle Dishes. Specialty Sushi Rolls and Traditional Sushi is prepared fresh to order. With a capacity of 300, Red Lantern features an open kitchen, sushi counter, wok station, oversized tables, a community table and private dining room for up to 40 guests. Stunning decor and exceptional cuisine come together to bring you on a culinary journey like no other.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Lantern reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (126)hot spot (97)fit for foodies (89)vibrant bar scene (84)special occasion (78)neighborhood gem (47)romantic (38)late-night find (38)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (6)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- UnderwhelmingFeldoDined on 11/21/2014This was my second time at Red Lantern for dinner with friends. Appetizers are excellent, especially the Bulgogi buns and Salt&Pepper calamari. Entrees on both occasions were mediocre at best. Singapore Street noodles, first visit, were just ok. Beef lo mein at the most recent visit was bland and the beef quality was 3rd-rate, tough, rubbery. My friends both commented that their entrees lacked flavor; one had the hot rock salmon, the other a shrimp with Udon noodles dish. For the money, you expect more. Great place for drinks and apps. Gets VERY loud and crowded after 8. Service has always been top-notch. Beautiful building and very cool decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was outstanding but prices highNikkiDined on 11/18/2014The food was absolutely to die for. Everything we ordered was excellent and exceeded my expectations. However, this is not a place for people looking for cheap dining. Some of the specialty sushi cost $25 alone. Dinner plates ranged in the $20s-30s. However, if you want not just good food but great Asian food, this is definitely the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2014decent food. awful service at the table (bar was good). no focus on customer needs. what are they (the servers) doing? plus, physical menus were old and greasy
- Avoid this placeaverage111Dined on 11/16/2014Very poor service. mediocre American style Chinese food - goopy and sugary. And very expensive for what it is. This must be for tourists who are too tired to go next door to Zocalo.
- Fantastic!KMacDined on 11/14/2014This was our first visit. We had a gift card and thought we'd check the place out. We were both impressed with the ambiance - loved the lanterns hanging from the ceiling. Eden, our server, was fun and knowledgable with great recommendations. The food was delicious! My favorite was the duck Baos, but the sushi was fantastic too. We're definitely coming to Red Lantern again - and soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre Chinese food in disguiseGandHVIPDined on 11/12/2014This is not a restaurant, it's a lounge where you'd go for drinks and a few bites.. most of the food was airport quality, old fashion commercial and way overpriced. It's nice to go with a first date where a meaningful discussion is not important, or some friends but not for a gourmet meal.
- Excellent sashimi, excellent maki!!GoodEatsDined on 11/8/2014Service at the hostess station is fantastic, bartenders are friendly, servers in the dining room could use some serious polishing & refining (I should have to ask for water, or another drink more than 1x). Overall loved the feel, absolutely LOVED the music!! (90's-today dance, hip hop lounge music ) Overall they had the best yellowtail (hamachi) sashimi, crab rangoon (ever!), the tuna tempura roll (thumbs up), 'Chirashi' Naruto (hands down 1 of the best rolls I've had- Be warned ITS SPICY!), the Ronin Roll (blah), the drinks were less than desirable & not to mention WAAY over priced, service was fair, & the ambiance a tasteful modern/asian (very dark & hard to read the menu). Last, it's loud! Not overwhelming, but not fit for a romantic 1:1Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good spotMikeDined on 11/5/2014I've been to Red Lantern a couple of times. The food is always delicious and they have good drink selections. The decor is nice as well. The times I've been there to eat, it wasn't too busy so the noise was not an issue. It's a little pricey but worth it every once in a while.Special Features:
- Just OKTorontoVIPDined on 11/1/2014Can be quite loud, so come early (before the crowds) if you want to talk to your dining partners. We found the food inconsistent, some dishes were quite good, others not so much. Portions are large and are great for sharing). We ordered a stir fry dish that arrived like a bowl of soup, we sent it back. Might try restaurant again and order differently, as well as get details on preparation of dishes.Special Features:
- Fun dinnerMish2702Dined on 11/1/2014Went with a group of 6 - started at the bar first for a drink before dinner which was yummy. For dinner, we got a variety of things, which were all very tasty. The service was great and we always had someone checking in on us. Drinks are pricey and the food isn't inexpensive, but for a night out, it was a great spot.Special Features:
- Convenient and deliciousHSF1Dined on 10/28/2014I was meeting a friend before the theatre. As she was delayed I was totally impressed how easy going and helpful the staff were. When we finally got to order they got our food out ASAP. And it was fresh and delicious. We never felt rushed and made it to our show on time.Special Features:
- Red lantern nights555Dined on 10/26/2014Beautiful good vibe very good food Asian with a twist I would call it pan AsianSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little priceyBostonistaVIPDined on 10/26/2014Food was good but a little pricey for what you got. We found a plastic lid in the fried rice - didn't see that listed on the menu haha Service was a little on the slower side which was surprising because the restaurant wasn't busy. The ambiance and decor was gorgeous!! Really pretty space!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always exceptional!ericDined on 10/25/2014Took my nephew and his girlfriend both visiting from Manhaten there on Saturday night. The food was great, the sushi fresh and the drinks were imaginative. Even made the New Yorkers say "Wow. Our waiter, Kyle was fun, knowledgeable attentive and patient. We all had a great unrushed visit in this really cool restaurant.Special Features:
- very good as usualstevegVIPDined on 10/25/2014Have eaten here many times. As usual, food and service are very good. we usually order appetizers and one main dish. all were very tasty and service was excellent. will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Another great mealRickyDVIPDined on 10/25/2014Had the boneless spareribs, chicken fried rice and rainbow sushi roll. EXCELLENT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Nightluv2dineDined on 10/18/2014I've been to Red Lantern before, the food is always great. The service was impeccable as usual. Our hostess Sarah was amazing, she found us a seat at the bar while we waited for our table and was there to tend to our every need.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why make a reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014What's the point in making a reservation if we have to still wait 45 minutes for our table and an extra 15 minutes to get a waiter? This has been the FOURTH time this is happened to my reservation. Manager did not care when I mentioned this and avoided our table all night. Good food, TERRIBLE service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Boston favoriteKDBalVIPDined on 10/10/2014We have been here five times in th last few years when we have been in Boston. It is real favorite and we look forward to visiting again. The duck buns are superb-----also the shrimp Kung Pao.Special Features:
- Amazing! Loved everything!!!!DreaWalshDined on 10/3/2014I've been there a couple of times so I definately had the opportunity to try different menu items and everything I ever ordered was delicious! Portions are good, the quality of the fish is really good too! Their Tuna tartare is simply amazing!! Great choice of wine and cocktails! The ambiance is really great at night and you can see that they put a lot on the decor and every corner of the restaurant is beautifully designed! Been there quite a few times and will definately keep on going!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been here a bunch - consistent!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/3/2014We went back to Red Lantern recently for date and night and requested Kyle as our server since he was so outstanding last time we went there. Red Lantern delivered on our request (so nice!) and we had another yummy round of drinks and apps and an entree. Love the atmosphere at Red Lantern and having a great server makes all the difference. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Can't Get It RightVeritasVIPDined on 9/30/2014I went back to this restaurant after a long break hoping that it'd improved. It hadn't. While the food is good (not outstanding, but good), the service continues to be unprofessional and atmosphere more like a nightclub than a restaurant. Our waitperson told us to expect 30-40 minutes for our duck, and then proceeded to spring it on us after 10 or 15 minutes and literally removed our appetizers before we were even finished. Drinks took a long time as well. And it was very difficult to talk over the pounding music, much less read a menu in the dark. I won't be going back.
- Great Place, Bad ServiceBostonFoodieDined on 9/27/2014I love this restaurant so I was really disappointed by the bad service we received. I was very surprised because on other occasions we have received excellent service. I think it was just a matter of a really awful waitress who left of waiting for almost 45 minutes before coming back to take our order for result, and during that time she was waiting on every table around us and speeding up when she went past our table so we couldn't flag her down. We spoke to the manager and she apologized for the poor service and gave us a discount off our bill. I think this was an isolated incident, but wanted to let folks know in case it happens to them.Special Features:
- Asian fusion with a great vibe.WandererVIPDined on 9/27/2014A bit hard to find for the uninitiated but worth the search. While asian-fusion is widely available in most metropolitan areas rarely is it done as well as at Red Lantern.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014our server Eden was spectacular. She was timely, knowledgeable and fun.Special Features:
- Great vibeadaminbostonDined on 9/19/2014Great atmosphere, food, and service. Was a nice touch that the hostess stopped by to check on us during the meal.Special Features:
- First time hitDinnerbelleDined on 9/16/2014Had never heard of RL - decided to take a chance. What a coup! Food and service are reasons to return. It was quite loud the evening we chose but at least it was "happy loud."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/13/2014We went to Red Lantern on Saturday, September 13th to celebrate our sons 22nd birthday. The food was good, a favorite being the rock shrimp tempura, but what made the food taste even better was the excellent service. Kyle, our server, was terrific, ask for him if you go!Special Features:
- Ok, but not great...TheOneTNVIPDined on 9/11/2014I had heard that this was one of the places to go to in Boston, and was disappointed. I have eaten at some incredible sushi, asian, and fusion restaurants around the world, and Red Lantern pales in comparison. There wasn't anything memorable we ate - well actually one dish was memorable. I finished with one of the specials of the night - Tuna with Pressed Watermelon. I was so excited to finish my meal with a nice, light, delicate dish. To my surprise - everything was grilled and had the unpleasant taste of smoked wood and grill. How could you take two foods, that are so delicate and ruin them over a grill? Why? I just don't get it.
- Hostess was not friendly....BeeGeeDined on 9/7/2014We went to Red Lantern believing it was a upscale Asian-Fusion place. Our experience started with two very unpleasant hostess when we walked in. Our entire party of five felt we were bothering them and and taking away from their homework that was clearly on display. The service was good but a bit over the top. Checking in every few minutes lead to lots of interruptions. Good was ok....same as PF Changs plus the attitude.Special Features:
- Fantastic experiencefoodluverDined on 9/5/2014I came here to celebrate my two year anniversary and made my reservation the week before. A few days before I had to call and bump the event up by one day and was accommodated. They called the day prior and during to remind me of my reservation. My date and I arrived early and were still seated, with a few options to choose from. Our waitress was so personable and helpful with the menu, and the food was sensational. The atmosphere is youthful and mellow, the dress code was reinforced, and the restaurant takes special requests, within reason. They also surprised us by including a lemon cookie with chocolate drizzled on it spelling out "Happy Anniversary" and a candle when our dessert was brought out: a great touch to top of a perfect night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive and disappointing...JoshHBDined on 9/4/2014We started with Toro Sashimi ($19) and were excited to enjoy it since Toro has been difficult for many places to get lately. Unfortunately, it was covered in a plum sauce that masked the delicate flavor of a wonderful raw fish. Then I ordered the $44 American Wagyu Rib Eye. Had never had Wagyu beef before so I was looking forward to tasting any subtle differences between it and a normal steakhouse quality rib eye--especially at that price. To my surprise, the steak was covered with a sauce that completely overporeed any unique flavors of such a high-quality cut of meat. It was also a very thin cut (1/2 inch at most) which caused the meat to be cooked more than I'd have preferred even though I ordered it medium rare. Very disappointing...Special Features:
- Noisy sushizestnzenDined on 9/4/2014The food is amazing! the setting interesting. The service pleasant, though on the slow side and water is hard to come by. THe noise is deafening and worst thanks to too loud music, it is hard to have a conversation across the large tables.Special Features:
- midwyfeVIPDined on 9/3/2014We had a delicious anniversary dinner. Recommend the rice bites appetizer, the miso bass entree, excellent cocktails. All delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pushing Sugarzen2goVIPDined on 9/2/2014Almost everything is sweet here - from the appetizers, to the grilled meats, to the sauces, to the cocktails. They know their diners: fill 'em up, and get 'em high. Sugar is cheap, and the prices here are higher than the sugar addicts. Might be better to invest in the place than to eat here - too bad America is n the grip of an epidemic of Type 2 Diabetes, with rates increasing especially among young people. Just so long as they live long enough to pay...Special Features:
- Food is fine, service is terriblejtbostonDined on 9/2/2014We found the food to be fine at Red Lantern but the service was very poor. We were seated at a table that had water leaks despite the fact that the host and server knew about the issue. When we asked to move we were placed at a table that was for a party twice our size and asked to move again to a table right next to ours that was open for 4 people. We were told the people who had a reservation at 8:00 pm (30 minutes after our reservation) had arrived and that they were taking priority. This made no sense to us but we agreed to sit awkwardly at the 8 person table with just the 4 of us.The poor service continued during our 2.5 hour meal and everything was very slow. The check took forever to arrive and be processed after we gave our cards.
- Fresh and fun!CocoDined on 9/2/2014Abundant servings of the most delicious fried rice and noodle dishes prepared in an open kitchen for all to see and smell! Of course their all you can eat sushi on Tuesdays is a huge success. The service is first class with a very attentive and friendly waitstaff on every level. The space is sexy and fun.Special Features:
- Fun Chinese restaurantCriticaldinerVIPDined on 9/1/2014Good drinks, great decor. We had the Whole Peking duck for 3 of us and really good. The pupu platter was easy and good, not great. There are a few lounge type areas for groups to hang out. Worth the trip!Special Features:
- Theatrical space, pseudo-Asian foodfoodnerdVIPDined on 9/1/2014Great decor in this soaring space of red lanterns and the standard Asian statuary. A great place for a group,as there are plenty of interesting appetizers to share. Duck bao were tasty morsels of duck and hoisin. Tofu bao were reported to be delicious and filling. Main courses were large enough to share - a good thing especially since they were considerably pricey for Asian food. If I ever went back- might just go for drinks and appetizers.Special Features:
- Delicious Asian CuisineIheartfoodDined on 8/31/2014We love Red Lantern! After first experiencing this gem in Foxwoods, we decided to check it out in Boston and were not disappointed. Red Lantern offers Asian cuisine that is gourmet and well seasoned. For an upscale, dining experience, Red Lantern offers that with their unique and rich ambience of Chinese culture. The menu is specific and offers enough variety to provide a meal for everyone and every pallet. Their Sushi is fresh and drinks are always good. The food comes nice and hot and even when going back for more, your food seems to retain the heat which is a plus. The portion sizes are big enough for more than one person to share and big enough for one person to have leftovers. Overall, the food and atmosphere is great!Special Features: