39 Stanhope Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Contemporary AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redlanternboston.com/
- Phone: (617) 262-3900
- Hours of Operation:
HOURS OF OPERATION:
Sunday thru Wednesday:
Bar and Lounge: 4:30pm - 12:00am
Dining Room: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar and Lounge: 4:30pm - 1:00am
Dining Room: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Friday & Saturday:
Bar and Lounge: 4:30pm - 2:00am
Dining Room: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Kevin Long
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Red Lantern
A sophisticated, sensual Asian Restaurant and Lounge, Red Lantern features the award-winning cuisine of Chef Kevin Long (Tosca, Stars, Shrine, GEM and Empire). A diverse Asian menu includes appetizers like Wood Fired Skewers, Spicy Lettuce Wraps, Peking Raviolis and Lobster Rangoons. An extensive dinner menu includes Wood Grilled Steaks, Seafood and Chicken Specialties, Wok and Noodle Dishes. Specialty Sushi Rolls and Traditional Sushi is prepared fresh to order. With a capacity of 300, Red Lantern features an open kitchen, sushi counter, wok station, oversized tables, a community table and private dining room for up to 40 guests. Stunning decor and exceptional cuisine come together to bring you on a culinary journey like no other.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Lantern reviews from OpenTable diners
194 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (121)hot spot (92)fit for foodies (86)vibrant bar scene (80)special occasion (74)neighborhood gem (44)late-night find (36)romantic (35)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (6)great for outdoor dining (4)notable wine list (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Expensive Asian foodLizzDined on 7/4/2014food is decent but expensive, didn't try drinks. would have to go for special occasion since most food can be available at regular asian restaurants for cheaper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizers are bestBillVIPDined on 7/4/2014The appetizers are the best. Stick with them. Lettuce wraps and duck buns are delicious. Entrees are overpriced.
- Food was good.bostondinerDined on 7/3/2014The food was good but seemed very overpriced for what was served. Dinner service was good but bar-tending staff was dressed very inappropriately seemed more interested in chatting with each other than tending bar. The ambiance was not as good as it had been in the past but I think that's because it was earlier in the evening than when I was there the last time. It seems as though it's a better ambiance at night. I do enjoy the decor of the restaurant.Special Features:
- This Place is a Favorite not on SunplatomarxVIPDined on 6/29/2014Great food, certainly great ambiance, even interesting drink menu. But the atmosphere when we went on early Sunday night was rough. One of the hostesses was more than a bit disinterested when she told the other in front of us that (about the Sunday shift) "this is gonna suck". No check in from the waitress, had to chase her down for the bill then again to ring it up. It really made it feel like they were clearly unhappy to be there. Also I had booked the reservation and noted that it was a special occasion to the restaurant, I had just got engaged, and no one asked about it whatsoever and sat us in the least private table in the place. It's not necessary but it would've been nice. Went from special to awkward chore waiting to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great food!Viv347Dined on 6/28/2014We had excellent service here. Our waitress was fantastic, attentive, answering all questions, even showing us what items on the menu looked like when we were unsure. When I was in line at the bathroom, what looked like the manager came by to let me know there was another restroom downstairs if I didn't want to wait. My only complaint is that the "drinks to share" (scorpion-bowl like drinks) were very expensive and very small. We were told it would be enough for 5 people but it was gone after a few sips from each person. I would recommend getting their other cocktails, which are delicious and still on the pricey side but better value for your money.Special Features:
- great food!Kimmiecupcake70Dined on 6/27/2014My boyfriend and I frequent this restaurant and we love it. The food is always hot and fresh and soooo good. We try something new each time we go and have never been disappointed. We always get the chicken stir fried rice. The spicy edamame is really good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy Asian with Classics and NewWhyanameVIPDined on 6/27/2014Fun food presented in interesting ways. They have lots of classics for the picky eater, but also great new combos for the more adventurous types. We had the Lobster Bao which was delicious (though the salad is definitely NE style not Asian fusion) and a Steak Lettuce Cups that was a special but should definitely stay on the menu. I recommend steering towards appetizers instead of entrees because you get a better bang for your buck. Also, the cocktails, while $$$, are definitely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for energetic ambienceMaruVIPDined on 6/21/2014We went for dinner, good ambience, the food is very good ( but not my style, i like healthier food, is a very good menu if you like chinise/ japanise , a little bit too fried and creamy for me). Good for young people , the noise level is a little high but create an ambience for a fun night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- date nightdoratheexplorerDined on 6/20/2014I took my boyfriend there for our date night. I loved the atmosphere and the friendly waitress. The ambiance had a romantic setting, yet it's still appropriate for groups (girl's night, bday dinners). I would most certainly go back. I loved the Lobster stir-fry!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite Asian restaurantrcs249VIPDined on 6/20/2014We found Red Lantern a few years ago when a friend's held a birthday dinner there, and we have found ourselves venturing into the Back Bay whenever we want delicious, contemporary Asian in a fun and upbeat spot. Always great!Special Features:
- Food is always top notchDaveVIPDined on 6/18/2014We love Red Lantern and Empire and Tosca and have been many many times and are never disappointed Kevin long does a fantastic job keeping the food current and above average.Special Features:
- Not worth itCatherineVIPDined on 6/16/2014Unless you want to pay $28 for average lo mein, stay away. Also, how can a restaurant charge $7 for an extra small glass of Guinness? When it came out, we just had to laugh at the 10 or 12 ounce glass. Is this a Guinness for ants? Our waitress was nice but I do not recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Gluten free FoodieGlutenFreeFoodieDined on 6/14/2014It's tough being a foodie with a Gluten Allergy. The Red Lantern makes it easy. I never feel deprived or jealous of my Gluten eating counterparts. The food, service and atmosphere are fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for group sessionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Great place. Only issue was that it was very noisy. Went with a friend and had to instead of sitting across from her, I had to sit next to her just to have a conversation. Good drinks. I think this place is perfect if you go with a group of friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Lanternchristy5Dined on 6/13/2014The food was good, nothing mind blowing. As most people say, it's very over priced, you're paying for the "scene".Special Features:
- Great ServicePALADined on 6/13/2014I really loved the food, the portions were generous and the food was delicious. The drinks were really good too, and they have a good variety. I like the ambience for a night out, I wish the music would have been a little bit low in the restaurant area because we had to yell at each other to be able to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for drinks.likeamisteryVIPDined on 6/13/2014I've gone to Red Lantern for drinks and always loved the vibe. However, their food left something to be desired. Makes me surprised that it's always so hard to get a reservation!
- EXTREMELY DISPPOINTINGBillinoVIPDined on 6/12/2014VERY DISAPPOINTING. THIS RESTAURANT USED TO BE SO GREAT AND OUR FAVORITE FOR QUALITY ASIAN FOOD. WE MOVED FROM BOSTON A YEAR AGO AND ON A VISIT BACK THERE, OUR FIRST STOP WAS RED LANTERN. THE FOOD WAS TASTELESS. MY NOODLE DISH HAD 3 TINY AND I MEAN TINY SHRIMP, ONE SCALLOP CUT IN HALF, AND THE PORK WAS ALL GRIZZLE AND FAT, INEDIBLE, EVERYONE ELSE AT THE TABLE HAD A FRIED RICE DISH AND THOUGHT PANDA PAVILION WAS BETTER OMG!! THE WAITER AND SERVICE WAS GREAT. THE ROOM IS BEAUTIFUL. IT'S OFF OUR FAVORITE LISTSpecial Features:
- FunLisatVIPDined on 6/8/2014I brought my daughter here, as I was visiting for the weekend. I found this on Amazon local. It is a very interesting place. I really enjoyed the decor. The Pride Week menu was appreciated by my daughter. That is a nice touch and neat to see in a big city. The food was very good. The Buddha buns are a must. The cocktails were delicious. My Marilyn Mon-roll was terrific. We would return.Special Features:
- Used Gilt couponAnnWVIPDined on 6/5/2014Our coupon was for $80, so we ordered a lot! Loved the Ronin and crunchy rolls! The potato sticks were terrible-couldn't even eat them. I wish they would have taken them off the bill. Chicken skewers also weren't good, but we loved the beef ones. Great mint green tea. Always love the ambiance.Special Features:
- Incredible food, way too noisyTonyPDined on 6/5/2014My wife and I went to Red Lantern for my birthday dinner. The food was fantastic. Memorable highlights were the duck buns (which even my wife loved even though she's not a huge duck fan) and the smoked char sui appetizer, which was some of the best bbq pork I've ever had. Our server was also very nice, polite, and courteous. Our only complaint was that it was way too noisy (ambient noise + very loud music). We might choose a quieter place in the future, which would be a shame 'cause as I said the food was awesome.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't waste your timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/3/2014Starting off sitting in uncomfortable chairs, our food took forever to arrive and when it did, the wait staff brought over one plate at a time. Our party of four took 15 minutes from the time the first person was served until the fourth person was served. Then they tried to bring us food that we didn't order...multiple times. The food was sub-par...P.F. Changs would be a better option if you are looking for generic American style Chinese food. Would not go back again.
- Great athmosphereHbuniottoDined on 6/2/2014Dark ambiance and lounge athmosphere make it a nice place for birthday parties and late nite dinning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste of Asia in the Back Bay!finickyfoodieDined on 6/2/2014Fantastic food and service...many options for vegans/vegetarians in our party and everyone loved everything that was ordered!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, great atmoshpereRickyDVIPDined on 6/1/2014No need to miss New York when Boston has a trendy restaurant like this!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!SJ26Dined on 6/1/2014Really fun and delicious dishes and drinks! Great service. The sushi rolls were smaller than expected for 20 bucks though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip vibeJulieDined on 5/30/2014A warehouse converted to a restaurant . Great location reasonable priced wines. Excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum and fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/29/2014We are regular guests and the restaurant is consisantly delicious and fun. Very busy Thursday night, our waiter was friendly, professional and thoughtful: )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Asian Semi-DeliversOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014Went for a bachelorette party dinner. Great decor/energy in the place. Very spacious and clearly caters for large groups. Waiter was very friendly and helpful with food and drink orders. Food presentation was top notch and so were the cocktails. Everyone in my group loved their food. I felt the dishes tasted as how you would expect and priced what you would pay at a Chinese restaurant/take out. The sushi wasn't anything which particularly thrilled me and so I felt very overpriced. I thought it was a nice place to go to for a treat. Food the same asian as anywhere (nothing different) and was delicious overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular ambience food and drinkBBGquillDined on 5/23/2014Spend my 5th wedding anniversary , great spot with spectacular food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was a disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/20/2014With the great ambiance, I wanted to give this restaurant another chance. But the quality of the food for the price just once again was not there. I had the short ribs which were recommended by the wait server- they were so filled with grizzle half of almost every bite went into a napkin and the rest I brought home to my dogs.Special Features:
- Great foodBerkerycVIPDined on 5/18/2014food was great. service was good. overall great spot.Special Features:
- GREAT ROLLSTMNDDined on 5/16/2014This was my second time at Red Lantern. With each occasion the food was outstanding however as many have stated before the service was just a little bit lacking. Our waiter was very nice but with such a large customer base its hard to stay ontop of every order. All in all I would highly suggest the Red Lantern it has great Chinese food and the rolls are delicious. Also I highly recommend the Lobster Ravioli it is one of the best I have ever had.Special Features:
- Outstanding food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/14/2014The lobster and bacon fried rice was excellent. We received a complimentary dish, skewers, and they were awesome. Overall, it was a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster RangoondiningoutoftenVIPDined on 5/14/2014Food here is fresh and inventive. Great sushi and prepared main courses. Staff can be flighty - but all in all solidsSpecial Features:
- Good, but too funky for familyJimfromBostonDined on 5/11/2014Had attended and enjoyed a couple of corporate events at this venue, so thought it would be fun for a Mother's Day lunch. My mistake, just doesn't have the same of feel in vibe mid afternoon with the family. Food was good, but not great. Service was just okay. Cute new playground across the street for the kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool venue, near Theater DistrictjdcarVIPDined on 5/10/2014Great little spot -- I've never been here before but I've heard a lot about it... has the feeling of one of those tucked away but cool hot spots b/c it is located at the end of a narrow, twisty street you'd probably never walk down but inside there is a spacious, very cool decor. Food/service were great... we'd definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceKDBalVIPDined on 5/9/2014This is our third time to Red Lantern and it never fails. The food is innovative in its presentation and delicious. We especially love the duck buns and the whole roasted duck. The sushi is fabulous as is the fried rice! We had a large group and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the evening!Special Features:
- DisappointedHazelDined on 5/6/2014I'm happy to pay for an expensive, great meal, but this food quality and atmosphere of restaurant does not reflect the pricing. On some entrees, more like Capitol Grill pricing with PJ Changs feel, actually PJ Changs food is better. $33 for Sea Bass? $25-30 for noodles (which none sounded appealing.) How can you kill lettuce wraps? I have heard the Sushi is very good.Special Features:
- Great AmbienceFirstTimeVisitDined on 5/3/2014Overall great dining experience. Food was excellent and wait staff very attentive. Was a busy night but we didn't feel rushed through dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.