39 Stanhope Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Contemporary AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redlanternboston.com/
- Phone: 6172623900x
- Hours of Operation:
HOURS OF OPERATION:
Sunday thru Wednesday:
Bar and Lounge: 4:30pm - 12:00am
Dining Room: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar and Lounge: 4:30pm - 1:00am
Dining Room: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Friday & Saturday:
Bar and Lounge: 4:30pm - 2:00am
Dining Room: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Kevin Long
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Red Lantern
A sophisticated, sensual Asian Restaurant and Lounge, Red Lantern features the award-winning cuisine of Chef Kevin Long (Tosca, Stars, Shrine, GEM and Empire). A diverse Asian menu includes appetizers like Wood Fired Skewers, Spicy Lettuce Wraps, Peking Raviolis and Lobster Rangoons. An extensive dinner menu includes Wood Grilled Steaks, Seafood and Chicken Specialties, Wok and Noodle Dishes. Specialty Sushi Rolls and Traditional Sushi is prepared fresh to order. With a capacity of 300, Red Lantern features an open kitchen, sushi counter, wok station, oversized tables, a community table and private dining room for up to 40 guests. Stunning decor and exceptional cuisine come together to bring you on a culinary journey like no other.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Red Lantern - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Red Lantern reviews from OpenTable diners
227 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (122)vibrant bar scene (103)special occasion (92)hot spot (91)fit for foodies (84)late-night find (56)neighborhood gem (49)romantic (44)notable wine list (11)kid-friendly (10)great for lunch (7)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Great vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014Great atmosphere, food, and service. Was a nice touch that the hostess stopped by to check on us during the meal.Special Features:
- First time hitDinnerbelleDined on 9/16/2014Had never heard of RL - decided to take a chance. What a coup! Food and service are reasons to return. It was quite loud the evening we chose but at least it was "happy loud."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/13/2014We went to Red Lantern on Saturday, September 13th to celebrate our sons 22nd birthday. The food was good, a favorite being the rock shrimp tempura, but what made the food taste even better was the excellent service. Kyle, our server, was terrific, ask for him if you go!Special Features:
- Ok, but not great...TheOneTNVIPDined on 9/11/2014I had heard that this was one of the places to go to in Boston, and was disappointed. I have eaten at some incredible sushi, asian, and fusion restaurants around the world, and Red Lantern pales in comparison. There wasn't anything memorable we ate - well actually one dish was memorable. I finished with one of the specials of the night - Tuna with Pressed Watermelon. I was so excited to finish my meal with a nice, light, delicate dish. To my surprise - everything was grilled and had the unpleasant taste of smoked wood and grill. How could you take two foods, that are so delicate and ruin them over a grill? Why? I just don't get it.
- Fantastic experiencefoodluverDined on 9/5/2014I came here to celebrate my two year anniversary and made my reservation the week before. A few days before I had to call and bump the event up by one day and was accommodated. They called the day prior and during to remind me of my reservation. My date and I arrived early and were still seated, with a few options to choose from. Our waitress was so personable and helpful with the menu, and the food was sensational. The atmosphere is youthful and mellow, the dress code was reinforced, and the restaurant takes special requests, within reason. They also surprised us by including a lemon cookie with chocolate drizzled on it spelling out "Happy Anniversary" and a candle when our dessert was brought out: a great touch to top of a perfect night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive and disappointing...JoshHBDined on 9/4/2014We started with Toro Sashimi ($19) and were excited to enjoy it since Toro has been difficult for many places to get lately. Unfortunately, it was covered in a plum sauce that masked the delicate flavor of a wonderful raw fish. Then I ordered the $44 American Wagyu Rib Eye. Had never had Wagyu beef before so I was looking forward to tasting any subtle differences between it and a normal steakhouse quality rib eye--especially at that price. To my surprise, the steak was covered with a sauce that completely overporeed any unique flavors of such a high-quality cut of meat. It was also a very thin cut (1/2 inch at most) which caused the meat to be cooked more than I'd have preferred even though I ordered it medium rare. Very disappointing...Special Features:
- Noisy sushizestnzenDined on 9/4/2014The food is amazing! the setting interesting. The service pleasant, though on the slow side and water is hard to come by. THe noise is deafening and worst thanks to too loud music, it is hard to have a conversation across the large tables.Special Features:
- midwyfeDined on 9/3/2014We had a delicious anniversary dinner. Recommend the rice bites appetizer, the miso bass entree, excellent cocktails. All delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pushing Sugarzen2goVIPDined on 9/2/2014Almost everything is sweet here - from the appetizers, to the grilled meats, to the sauces, to the cocktails. They know their diners: fill 'em up, and get 'em high. Sugar is cheap, and the prices here are higher than the sugar addicts. Might be better to invest in the place than to eat here - too bad America is n the grip of an epidemic of Type 2 Diabetes, with rates increasing especially among young people. Just so long as they live long enough to pay...Special Features:
- Food is fine, service is terriblejtbostonDined on 9/2/2014We found the food to be fine at Red Lantern but the service was very poor. We were seated at a table that had water leaks despite the fact that the host and server knew about the issue. When we asked to move we were placed at a table that was for a party twice our size and asked to move again to a table right next to ours that was open for 4 people. We were told the people who had a reservation at 8:00 pm (30 minutes after our reservation) had arrived and that they were taking priority. This made no sense to us but we agreed to sit awkwardly at the 8 person table with just the 4 of us.The poor service continued during our 2.5 hour meal and everything was very slow. The check took forever to arrive and be processed after we gave our cards.
- Fresh and fun!CocoDined on 9/2/2014Abundant servings of the most delicious fried rice and noodle dishes prepared in an open kitchen for all to see and smell! Of course their all you can eat sushi on Tuesdays is a huge success. The service is first class with a very attentive and friendly waitstaff on every level. The space is sexy and fun.Special Features:
- Fun Chinese restaurantCriticaldinerVIPDined on 9/1/2014Good drinks, great decor. We had the Whole Peking duck for 3 of us and really good. The pupu platter was easy and good, not great. There are a few lounge type areas for groups to hang out. Worth the trip!Special Features:
- Theatrical space, pseudo-Asian foodfoodnerdVIPDined on 9/1/2014Great decor in this soaring space of red lanterns and the standard Asian statuary. A great place for a group,as there are plenty of interesting appetizers to share. Duck bao were tasty morsels of duck and hoisin. Tofu bao were reported to be delicious and filling. Main courses were large enough to share - a good thing especially since they were considerably pricey for Asian food. If I ever went back- might just go for drinks and appetizers.Special Features:
- Delicious Asian CuisineIheartfoodDined on 8/31/2014We love Red Lantern! After first experiencing this gem in Foxwoods, we decided to check it out in Boston and were not disappointed. Red Lantern offers Asian cuisine that is gourmet and well seasoned. For an upscale, dining experience, Red Lantern offers that with their unique and rich ambience of Chinese culture. The menu is specific and offers enough variety to provide a meal for everyone and every pallet. Their Sushi is fresh and drinks are always good. The food comes nice and hot and even when going back for more, your food seems to retain the heat which is a plus. The portion sizes are big enough for more than one person to share and big enough for one person to have leftovers. Overall, the food and atmosphere is great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014The food and service was very good. It's a little pricey for what it is. Also there were 3 of cramped at a table meant for 2 so that wasn't very comfortable.
- Overpriced for what it isBostonbornandbredDined on 8/27/2014I've been here a few times for drinks but have never eaten here until the other night. I have to say I'm disappointed. The food tasted almost exactly like PF Changs except that the service was not great and the prices were higher. The decor is nice but the AC ducts consistently dripping on us (and like 4 tables around us) was not so nice-according to the manager, this is normal. There was not one glass is red wine under $11 on the menu (which is something I'm used to here but usually the wine is decent) and it was the most TERRIBLE wine I've had in a while! The atomosphere was extremely noisey even with the place only 3/4 full and my boyfriend and I could hardly talk. Two drinks each, two sushi rolls and two entrees for $145-no thanks!
- Unusual NightRBNYCVIPDined on 8/26/2014My husband and I have always commented on how consistent the food and service is at Red Lantern. My last visit changed that opinion. The service was terrible! Our waitress acted as if we did not exist. It took 15 minutes to get a soft drink and much too long to find the waitress to ask what was holding up our food. When my friend and I asked her if it was unusually busy, she replied "no" - it is usually much busier. Therefore that excuse is out the window! The food was excellent except for the chicken skewers which were lacking taste. Our love of the boneless spareribs should of told us to double-up on that rather that try something new. Usually a great place, but not this evening.Special Features:
- Good but SlowOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/24/2014Hi - i've been to Red Lantern numerous time. this time was exceptional slow even though the restaurant was not very busy. Drinks are a bit pricey $10-16. But the food was hot, well seasoned, and good portion sizes. Wish our food came out a bit faster though,Special Features:
- My RL experienceSbjle617Dined on 8/24/2014Had reservation for two got stuck in a tight corner space with people next to us while there are hundreds of empty tables. Waitor's attitude seem like he doesn't want to serve us it's like"eh whatever type", we've waited 35 minutes for our drinks. Foods is not that great I think it's because we lost our appetite from being stuck in a corner.
- Atmospheric Asian fusionbrymelDined on 8/23/2014Went in a group of 4 on an August Saturday. Half full when we arrived at 7; packed by the time we left around 10. Fun atmosphere: generic "oonce oonce" dance music playing, oversized red lanterns and Buddha statues everywhere. Our server, Eden, was fantastic -- highly knowledgeable about the menu, friendly, and efficient. Loved the rice bites appetizer so much we re-ordered. We all loved our mains - miso sea bass, an udon dish, a rice noodle dish, and an oversized sushi roll. Portions are generous. Lemon donuts with green tea ice cream were a delicious dessert. Only disappointments were the hot and sour soup (not very sour) and the weak decaf coffee my friend got afterward. Overall enjoyed it and would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine Out BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014We arrived on time for our reservation and were told our table was being set up. They said they'd text when it was ready so we waited at the bar. I got a text and went to the hostess and had to wait another 15 min or so until finally I asked, and only THEN were we seated. We got seated nearby a very loud group, so it was hard to hear anything despite sitting right next to each other. The staff was friendly, but absent most of the night. Our desserts were brought with no silverware, so we had to wait to eat until we caught a waiter. The food was very good, the Singapore street noodles were especially delicious, and we got a lot for the cost. Overall, great food, terrible service. I'd recommend it if you don't mind a 2hr+ dining experience.Special Features:
- Awful ServiceAwfulDined on 8/21/2014I have now had a few of these experiences. As much i we enjoyed the food the service was slow and unapologetic (except for the manger, who was interested and helpful). The food was good enough that we thought maybe the service was an aberration. I now think it is not. I like the food so maybe it will just be eating at the bar or bust.Special Features:
- Loud music/trendy spotnenaeatsDined on 8/20/2014Came here with husband & daughter for dinner on Wednesday evening. Decor is really nice: modern, Asian inspired with concrete, wood & some dark color throughout. There was loud dance music playing. Food nothing to write home about. Asian choices & all were bland. We shared an order of chicken fried rice & large grilled meats and vegetable dish. Rice was very bland with barely any flavor. Some of the grilled meats had some flavor and others did not. We liked the pork & chicken (or so it looked like)as they had flavor. Very cheap on the servings for the grilled meats & veggies. As for the veggies it was only zucchini & nothing else. The drinks were pretty good. The dessert-donuts and green tea ice cream were delicious! Pricey!Special Features:
- Asian gem not to missgazebo3e4Dined on 8/20/2014The rock shrimp app is superb: little bit of coconut flavor and a touch of heat. Loved the Singapore street noodles with shrimp, scallop and pork. Ask for the house hot sauce and sirracha if you want some heat and/or sweet heat, respectively. Sushi maki are excellent: the red dragon roll topped the ronin roll in our book. Server said tuna crispy bites app & pineapple bread pudding are also to die for. Facilities are very nice, including bathrooms. Servers are very attentive, knowledgable and cheery. On the louder side when there are lots of patrons. Valet is quick (and useful when on-street parking is hard to locate). Would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodfoodiesDined on 8/20/2014The staff was extremely friendly and helpful with ordering. We loved the decor, felt like we were in New York City, not Boston. So much to look at in the room. Location of place was easy to find. I took the train to Back Bay and there it was. Food was wonderful as well as the presentation. The server always cleaned the table between courses, water glasses were kept full. We had a groupon which is how we found this place, we look forward to going back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They came through once againRickyDVIPDined on 8/20/2014We had the scallop fried rice, Kalbi beef skewers, boneless spare ribs and 3 different sushis. All were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousRosie8305Dined on 8/19/2014I've eaten at Red Lantern numerous times and I'm never dissapointed by the delicious good and drink options. Although the environment is loud it's always packed and fun! The extensive cocktail menu is also a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem!cigar1Dined on 8/19/2014If your ever in Boston you must make the Red Lantern a must go. Great ambiance. great food and friendly and attentive staff. Try the lobster and bacon fried rice....BEST EVER! Wish we had a Red Lantern in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesomejoshzash14Dined on 8/16/2014Loved this Red Lantern. I have been to the one in Foxwoods and this was was a step above it. All the food was delicious and would definitely drive out to Boston again to eat here.Special Features:
- Great ambiance, but food only okbourbanmomDined on 8/16/2014The sushi was great, but the duck pancakes were a huge flop to everyone in our party. Can't ever beat the ambiance though.Special Features:
- Amazing servicepumbitaVIPDined on 8/16/2014I've been to Red Lantern before but this time the service was outstanding. Also, desert is to die for, great for saturday night.Special Features:
- Salt killed us but not the normKimmiecupcake70Dined on 8/15/2014The food is usually awesome. This time we both suffered terribly from over salting. We got the special pad Thai which was the one of the best I have had. The eggs were so fluffy. Got the chicken fried rice the hoisin chicken which I love:lots of vegetables and the chicken is grilled. sat at the bar overlooking the cooking area. It's much more enjoyable to watch that than to have to compete with televisions. My fiancé always turns into a zombie if there are tv's. Chef Long was there too so the food comes out fast and hot hot and he came over to talk to us. The only other complaint I have is the waiter interrupted us four times and, Usually waiters can sense when couples are still eating and talking. He was super nice just needed to back off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was a DisappointmentJoeGDined on 8/15/2014Great Ambience , decor . Service was ok , but the food was a major disappointment , bland...rice, noodles,vegetables ...you will get quantity vs. quality. Beef was full of fat, 1st visit was at the bar..2nd was for drinks and food ,will not return .Special Features:
- Continues to deliverRickyDVIPDined on 8/15/2014Each time I go the food and ambiance has been great.Special Features:
- KitKate617Dined on 8/12/2014I went here for my birthday dinner with a few friends. They were very accommodating to multiple changes in the reservation with both time and people attending. Service was average, but food was very good! I highly recommend the pineapple bread pudding for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014It was great. Food was awesome, service was great.Special Features:
- great vibe, good food and cocktailsJenBDined on 8/12/2014A great spot for groups, good sushi and attentive staff. I will gladly go back.Special Features:
- Hasn't let me downRickyDVIPDined on 8/10/2014This is about the 8th time I've been there. Food is really good (I even eat the vegtables-all of them-and for anyone that knows me, that is saying something). Love the music and trendy feel. Orginally I'm from NY so a place like this in Boston makes me feel very at home.Special Features:
- Service wanedRexbunchDined on 8/7/2014Food and atmosphere was very good but our server rushed us and them disappeared forgetting to bring out our last course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unlimited sushiCatherineann12Dined on 8/5/2014We loved the unlimited sushi Tuesday at Red Lantern. Out server was attentive and the atmosphere was romantic and relaxing. I'm coming back next week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.