39 Stanhope Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Contemporary AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redlanternboston.com/
- Phone: 6172623900x
- Hours of Operation:
HOURS OF OPERATION:
Sunday thru Wednesday:
Bar and Lounge: 4:30pm - 12:00am
Dining Room: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar and Lounge: 4:30pm - 1:00am
Dining Room: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Friday & Saturday:
Bar and Lounge: 4:30pm - 2:00am
Dining Room: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Kevin Long
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Red Lantern
A sophisticated, sensual Asian Restaurant and Lounge, Red Lantern features the award-winning cuisine of Chef Kevin Long (Tosca, Stars, Shrine, GEM and Empire). A diverse Asian menu includes appetizers like Wood Fired Skewers, Spicy Lettuce Wraps, Peking Raviolis and Lobster Rangoons. An extensive dinner menu includes Wood Grilled Steaks, Seafood and Chicken Specialties, Wok and Noodle Dishes. Specialty Sushi Rolls and Traditional Sushi is prepared fresh to order. With a capacity of 300, Red Lantern features an open kitchen, sushi counter, wok station, oversized tables, a community table and private dining room for up to 40 guests. Stunning decor and exceptional cuisine come together to bring you on a culinary journey like no other.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Red Lantern - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Red Lantern reviews from OpenTable diners
201 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (106)vibrant bar scene (102)hot spot (88)special occasion (87)fit for foodies (71)late-night find (57)neighborhood gem (45)romantic (41)notable wine list (10)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (5)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Loved this Red Lantern. I have been to the one in Foxwoods and this was was a step above it. All the food was delicious and would definitely drive out to Boston again to eat here.Special Features:
- Great ambiance, but food only okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The sushi was great, but the duck pancakes were a huge flop to everyone in our party. Can't ever beat the ambiance though.Special Features:
- Amazing servicepumbitaVIPDined on 8/16/2014I've been to Red Lantern before but this time the service was outstanding. Also, desert is to die for, great for saturday night.Special Features:
- Salt killed us but not the normKimmiecupcake70Dined on 8/15/2014The food is usually awesome. This time we both suffered terribly from over salting. We got the special pad Thai which was the one of the best I have had. The eggs were so fluffy. Got the chicken fried rice the hoisin chicken which I love:lots of vegetables and the chicken is grilled. sat at the bar overlooking the cooking area. It's much more enjoyable to watch that than to have to compete with televisions. My fiancé always turns into a zombie if there are tv's. Chef Long was there too so the food comes out fast and hot hot and he came over to talk to us. The only other complaint I have is the waiter interrupted us four times and, Usually waiters can sense when couples are still eating and talking. He was super nice just needed to back off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was a DisappointmentJoeGDined on 8/15/2014Great Ambience , decor . Service was ok , but the food was a major disappointment , bland...rice, noodles,vegetables ...you will get quantity vs. quality. Beef was full of fat, 1st visit was at the bar..2nd was for drinks and food ,will not return .Special Features:
- Continues to deliverRickyDVIPDined on 8/15/2014Each time I go the food and ambiance has been great.Special Features:
- KitKate617Dined on 8/12/2014I went here for my birthday dinner with a few friends. They were very accommodating to multiple changes in the reservation with both time and people attending. Service was average, but food was very good! I highly recommend the pineapple bread pudding for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014It was great. Food was awesome, service was great.Special Features:
- great vibe, good food and cocktailsJenBDined on 8/12/2014A great spot for groups, good sushi and attentive staff. I will gladly go back.Special Features:
- Hasn't let me downRickyDVIPDined on 8/10/2014This is about the 8th time I've been there. Food is really good (I even eat the vegtables-all of them-and for anyone that knows me, that is saying something). Love the music and trendy feel. Orginally I'm from NY so a place like this in Boston makes me feel very at home.Special Features:
- Service wanedRexbunchDined on 8/7/2014Food and atmosphere was very good but our server rushed us and them disappeared forgetting to bring out our last course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unlimited sushiCatherineann12Dined on 8/5/2014We loved the unlimited sushi Tuesday at Red Lantern. Out server was attentive and the atmosphere was romantic and relaxing. I'm coming back next week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good dinnerstevegVIPDined on 8/2/2014As we usually do, stuck to appetizers and sushi and were not disappointed. Food was fresh, very tasty and enjoyed by all. The service ( Kevin, Nina ) was excellent as was the hostessSpecial Features:
- Food was better than expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014The service was ok I wish they would have taken the crumbs off the table when they cleared it. We had to ask several times to take the empty plates. The waitress did the best she could for I believe she had too many people to service in her station. certain dishes were great but the rice nothing special. I would go again that is for sure. for the pricing wasn't bad per couple was about a $100 a person with drinks.Special Features:
- needs to get its edge backj12551VIPDined on 8/2/2014Red Lantern used to be hip and happening. Id have to decribe it as yesterday's news now. The food is just okay, the service is the same, and quite frankly with all the other options around and the high prices at RL why bother? The exception is that I must say that the decor is beautiful and if the could just turn down the disco music a bit, the vibe is attractive. Been there several times but each time we have been less impressed. So, that was my last visit.Special Features:
- Vibrant atmosphere, lacking servicedeebeeDined on 8/1/2014Went to Red Lantern with 2 of my girlfriends last week courtesy of a living social deal. I had previously been here for drinks and thought the decor was so cool and had heard good things about food. Well the food was good- I am not going to say it was the very best sushi I have had, but no where near the worst. My two friends agreed- we did feel our fried rice was quite bland though. However the one thing I could not get over was our server, who would disappear repeatedly. Eventually we started to ask another server for things- such as more water, napkins, just because ours was no where to be seen. A smile goes a long way, and we certainly wish our server could have come across a little more approachable and available.
- sugar highLauraVIPDined on 7/26/2014Food is tasty, Until you realize 90 of ithe meats are coated in sugare and the sauces (even the hot ones) are all full of sugar ( that and I suspect MSG).Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/23/2014As always, Red Lantern delivered huge flavor, great service and a wonderful night!Special Features:
- All You Can Eat SushierikmclDined on 7/22/2014Honestly one of the best deals in Boston. The sushi choices are delicious, big portions, and they come out quick. My friends and I destroyed more rolls than we care to admit, and it was well worth feeling like a Thanksgiving turkey. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Tuesday Night Sushi NightIloveFoodDined on 7/22/2014The $25 all you can eat sushi night is great. The limited choices seem disappointing at first but once you order and start eating, your stomach couldn't handle more than what's offered. Would definitely go again,Special Features:
- Great Party restaurant-slow servicetuniesdineVIPDined on 7/15/2014Fun place for groups, celebrations, friendly helpful satff but slow table service,. Great menu with broad range of choices all good for sharing. Excellent sushi, lobster and fired rice and singapore noodles. Big drinks to share are over priced.Special Features:
- amazingkpolissonDined on 7/12/2014Went there for a bachelorette party and had an amazing time! Our server was great the food was excellent. Cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday nightWineloveDined on 7/11/2014Most of the food was very good, some of our appetizers/entrees were a little on the bland side. Our waitress was not very attentive to us and forgot one of our meals. We had to wait 25 more minutes for rice, and still charged us for it. I would come back for the sushi and calamari, they were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip and funSamanthaDined on 7/11/2014I went here with a friend and loved every minute. The food was superb (the Hot Rock is an activity as well as a meal, and the lobster rangoons were to die for. And the Mai Tai was nice and strong!Special Features:
- ExcellentstevegVIPDined on 7/5/2014Had not been here in a while. Glad we returned. Food was very good and service was outstanding ( excellent waitress). Had all appetizers and all were were prepared and very tasty. Will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive Asian foodLizzDined on 7/4/2014food is decent but expensive, didn't try drinks. would have to go for special occasion since most food can be available at regular asian restaurants for cheaper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizers are bestBillVIPDined on 7/4/2014The appetizers are the best. Stick with them. Lettuce wraps and duck buns are delicious. Entrees are overpriced.
- Food was good.bostondinerDined on 7/3/2014The food was good but seemed very overpriced for what was served. Dinner service was good but bar-tending staff was dressed very inappropriately seemed more interested in chatting with each other than tending bar. The ambiance was not as good as it had been in the past but I think that's because it was earlier in the evening than when I was there the last time. It seems as though it's a better ambiance at night. I do enjoy the decor of the restaurant.Special Features:
- This Place is a Favorite not on SunplatomarxVIPDined on 6/29/2014Great food, certainly great ambiance, even interesting drink menu. But the atmosphere when we went on early Sunday night was rough. One of the hostesses was more than a bit disinterested when she told the other in front of us that (about the Sunday shift) "this is gonna suck". No check in from the waitress, had to chase her down for the bill then again to ring it up. It really made it feel like they were clearly unhappy to be there. Also I had booked the reservation and noted that it was a special occasion to the restaurant, I had just got engaged, and no one asked about it whatsoever and sat us in the least private table in the place. It's not necessary but it would've been nice. Went from special to awkward chore waiting to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great food!Viv347Dined on 6/28/2014We had excellent service here. Our waitress was fantastic, attentive, answering all questions, even showing us what items on the menu looked like when we were unsure. When I was in line at the bathroom, what looked like the manager came by to let me know there was another restroom downstairs if I didn't want to wait. My only complaint is that the "drinks to share" (scorpion-bowl like drinks) were very expensive and very small. We were told it would be enough for 5 people but it was gone after a few sips from each person. I would recommend getting their other cocktails, which are delicious and still on the pricey side but better value for your money.Special Features:
- great food!Kimmiecupcake70Dined on 6/27/2014My boyfriend and I frequent this restaurant and we love it. The food is always hot and fresh and soooo good. We try something new each time we go and have never been disappointed. We always get the chicken stir fried rice. The spicy edamame is really good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy Asian with Classics and NewOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/27/2014Fun food presented in interesting ways. They have lots of classics for the picky eater, but also great new combos for the more adventurous types. We had the Lobster Bao which was delicious (though the salad is definitely NE style not Asian fusion) and a Steak Lettuce Cups that was a special but should definitely stay on the menu. I recommend steering towards appetizers instead of entrees because you get a better bang for your buck. Also, the cocktails, while $$$, are definitely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for energetic ambienceMaruDined on 6/21/2014We went for dinner, good ambience, the food is very good ( but not my style, i like healthier food, is a very good menu if you like chinise/ japanise , a little bit too fried and creamy for me). Good for young people , the noise level is a little high but create an ambience for a fun night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- date nightdoratheexplorerDined on 6/20/2014I took my boyfriend there for our date night. I loved the atmosphere and the friendly waitress. The ambiance had a romantic setting, yet it's still appropriate for groups (girl's night, bday dinners). I would most certainly go back. I loved the Lobster stir-fry!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite Asian restaurantrcs249VIPDined on 6/20/2014We found Red Lantern a few years ago when a friend's held a birthday dinner there, and we have found ourselves venturing into the Back Bay whenever we want delicious, contemporary Asian in a fun and upbeat spot. Always great!Special Features:
- Food is always top notchDaveVIPDined on 6/18/2014We love Red Lantern and Empire and Tosca and have been many many times and are never disappointed Kevin long does a fantastic job keeping the food current and above average.Special Features:
- Not worth itCatherineDined on 6/16/2014Unless you want to pay $28 for average lo mein, stay away. Also, how can a restaurant charge $7 for an extra small glass of Guinness? When it came out, we just had to laugh at the 10 or 12 ounce glass. Is this a Guinness for ants? Our waitress was nice but I do not recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Gluten free FoodieGlutenFreeFoodieDined on 6/14/2014It's tough being a foodie with a Gluten Allergy. The Red Lantern makes it easy. I never feel deprived or jealous of my Gluten eating counterparts. The food, service and atmosphere are fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for group sessionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Great place. Only issue was that it was very noisy. Went with a friend and had to instead of sitting across from her, I had to sit next to her just to have a conversation. Good drinks. I think this place is perfect if you go with a group of friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Lanternchristy5Dined on 6/13/2014The food was good, nothing mind blowing. As most people say, it's very over priced, you're paying for the "scene".Special Features: