Red Hill Station
803 Cortland Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Red Hill Station
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.redhillstation.com/
- Phone: 4157570480x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: thursday - monday nights 5pm - 10pm
Lunch hours coming soon!
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Taylor Pedersen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Wine
A word from Red Hill Station
Red Hill Station is dedicated to making its Bernal Heights neighbors feel at home, while serving the best that California farmers and fishermen have to offer. More than just a neighborhood restaurant, Red Hill Station is a destination for the freshest and best seafood and oysters on the hill. Owners Amy Reticker and Taylor Pedersen each have over 20 years of experience in the restaurant business behind them. They opened this cozy, 36 seat restaurant in their own neighborhood because Bernal Heights needed oysters. The seafood served at Red Hill Station is guaranteed sustainable and traced from harvest to table ensuring it comes from a renewable source. To complement their menu is an environmentally friendly and locally-sourced beverage program of 4 beers and 4 wines, all on tap. Come join Amy and Taylor in charming Bernal Heights for a meal that is bursting with freshness, flavor and sustainability!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Red Hill Station - Best Restaurants in Bernal Heights ›
Red Hill Station reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (104)fit for foodies (89)special occasion (34)hot spot (34)kid-friendly (23)romantic (21)good for groups (16)notable wine list (5)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- good fish heregroupoutingDined on 10/17/2014good fish and a neighborhood type of place. smells like fish inside and you will bring that home with you! just saying. some nice wines, and lively sounds in the room. enjoy whatever specials - the menu is updated pretty regularly according to the freshest fish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- callyDined on 10/16/2014The noise level was too much for my old ears. Maybe because too many women dining. Wanted to visit with daughter and granddaughter and it was pretty difficult without having them repeat drink the evening. Did enjoy the oysters. Will recommend it to young people with better hearing, I guess.Special Features:
- Little Red Hill Station that CouldPatsDined on 10/16/2014I'm a big foodie and Chef Taylor Pedersen and our server Amy made for a memorable dining experience. The space was super cute (beautiful hand carved benches that were surprisingly comfortable) tho kind of loud..in a buzzy way. The Caesar salad was dynamite. We shared the mussels which were super plump. Our baked cod was PERFECTLY cooked and beautifully presented. Braised short ribs were awesome. My friend has a sweet tooth so we couldn't make up our minds so we ordered both! Ha! The lace cookies and cream was a great texture and flavor combination. I normally would not have ordered the chocolate pot de creme because everyone does it but boy! So wrong!! Wow chocolate!!! Perfect ending to a memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable place luscious meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014I live in Bernal Hts. Any new good restaurant is so welcome. Last Monday I had a simple and very tasty meal there with friends. I'll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant on BernalAPPRDined on 10/12/2014Had a last minute special dinner to book and decided to try Red Hill Station. What a great find. Had a special request to make of the server Chris, who was impeccable. Lovely fresh fish dishes to die for. A great local favorite.Special Features:
- Good food at a neighborhood gemLuvSeafoodVIPDined on 10/11/2014We enjoyed our visit to Red Hill Station. It is a small neighborhood restaurant which seems miles away from the hustle and bustle of the San Francisco tourist areas. It was not difficult for visitors to San Francisco to find. However, we arrived late due to bad traffic getting out of the Fisherman's Wharf area. Although we arrived really late our host was able to accommodate us after a short wait. Most of the clientele seemed to be families and couples from the area. We shared an order of mussels (they were delicious) and we both ordered the Black Cod Fish & Chips. The fish was very good. It was very fresh and delicately fried. The chips are fried potato strands which are good and crunchy. We enjoyed our visit to Red Hill Station.Special Features:
- Phenomonal!FinickyDined on 10/10/2014Everything about this pkace is absolutely amazingl. The food is so fresh, so flavorful and so elegantly presented! I love being able to see right into the kitchen, and see what pride the chef takes in preparing every plate! Our waitress , Aura, was very sweet and knowlegeable about the wine list and food. I recommend this place to anyone who loves good food! Definitely will be back manymore times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT quality seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/10/2014Really good quality seafood ! Beautiful presentations, something for everyone, super fun vibrant place. a bit noisy at times, but oh well, lots of folks coming back time and time again to explore the creative options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood at reasonable pricesprudenceVIPDined on 10/10/2014I have eaten here several times, and each time I've come with different friends. Without fail, they all love this place, as do I. The oysters are really good, the halibut, cod, linguine with clams - all excellent. The seafood is locally sourced.Special Features:
- excellent neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/10/2014the service and food was a wonderful experience! I wish more SF restaurants had the charm and polite servers like this, it made the dining experience worth every dollar spent! we will be back for sure!Special Features:
- Great DinnerBernalEaterDined on 10/3/2014We had an excellent selection of fresh oysters, crisp Caesar salad, and two outstanding entrees: Hawaiian Ono, Ft. Bragg Black Cod (aka: Butterfish -- appropriately named). Thank you for an excellent meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great OystersTimboDined on 10/3/2014I live in Bernal & had been wanting to try Red Hill, this place fits the scene in our "hood". Excellent service, great sour dough bread,,exceptional linguini with clams, and of course the house special, raw oysters. We had a mix of 1/2doz, all really fresh & tasty. My friend had the halibut, & she thought it was over-cooked! Nonetheless I plan to return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2014I brought four friends to this restaurant and had a wonderful experience. First we were able to sit in the private room that sits up to eight people. As I am not a young chicken any more it was great to be able to hear each. The staff was friendly, warm and attentive. We started with oysters, mmmm fresh salty and all so good. We chose four dishes pasta, fish and chips, spicy mussels, and the wonderful squid salad. Even the french fries were tasty. We did not have dessert as we were full but that sounded good as well. I have gone multiple times now. I know they started with one main chief and he was off that night and the food was consistently good. Great find!!!Special Features:
- Chef Taylor does it again: perfect!SFoodie8Dined on 9/26/2014Red Hill Station is the culmination of years of work and preparation by Chef Taylor Pedersen and his longtime co-conspirator Amy Reticker. They've done a fabulous job of creating a vibrant, fun space and a dynamite seafood menu. While I've enjoyed many a meal crafted by Taylor before at the famed Anchor Oyster Bar, after my first dinner at Red Hill Station I can see that he has fully come into his own. My group of four tried the wild Atlantic salmon, the rock cod, the local sardines, and the linguini carbonara. Everything was outstanding. Special attention goes to the sardines. These fresh, expertly prepared delicacies are nothing like their canned cousins. The flesh was delicate and flavorful and Taylor's homemade pesto was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow--what a nice find!CastroWillVIPDined on 9/21/2014Super addition to the Bernal neighborhood. Longtime fans of Taylor's culinary skills and Amy's charm when they were at Anchor Oyster Bar in the Castro, we made the trip over to try out the new place. Simply put--an amazing dining experience, start to finish! Outstanding food (caesars both with and without shrimp and an excellent lemony dressing that didn't overpower; one of us had ahi with pesto, the other salmon with ginger butter; divine shoestring fries; and delicious funnel cake with fresh berries). Half carafe completed meal and we both had food left over to take home. Tab just over $100. Very nice, friendly staff and other diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great additionElsieVIPDined on 9/21/2014To the city's dining options. Delicious mussels, fish and chips, salmon. Good wine options and nice service.Special Features:
- Great food!prudenceVIPDined on 9/19/2014I've eaten here 5 or 6 times, and it's all been great, and a good value to boot. This time I had the linguine with clams, and it's one of the best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roxie8VIPDined on 9/19/2014Had to wait for our reservation at least 25 minutes and there is no place to wait but outside. They were very apologetic but it was annoying. Once seated things went well except one of our party got his dinner at least 10-12 minutes before the rest of us. The chefs do not wear any type of head coverings. The food was excellent but the place was incredibly noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant experienceANITAVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food was good and the place was pleasant, service is very slow though. Great to have a good seafood restauant nearby.Special Features:
- Love Love Love This PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/13/2014Our meal was excellent from beginning to end. Our server made some excellent recommendations and he was attentive and engaged without hovering. The decor is comfortable and slightly funky. I loved the bathroom which I often times can not say about restaurants. The Caesar salad dressing was the best I've ever had. The halibut was delicious and I found the meal portions ample.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceconnieDined on 9/13/2014Food was very fresh, seasonal, flavored well with fresh herbs and simple seasonings. Service was warm, sweet, and friendly. Dessert was rich and decadent (as it should be). It was our first visit to this new addition in our neighborhood. We had a new addition of our own and they were very accommodating of our stroller, even in this small restaurant. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Everything was truly five stars. Such a cute spot, wonderful food, great staff and a fun place to have dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, casual atmosphereDiningADeuxDined on 9/12/2014Excellent seafood and pasta dishes. Some issues with accessibility for a wheelchair, though management team was apologetic and say that they will be getting a ramp. Wheelchair accessible bathroom facilities are next door at pizza house (we did not evaluate). Would not yet recommend for those in wheelchairs. Otherwise, fun fish place with well-prepared dishes. Fries are not to be missed! Anchovy appetizer was perfect. Pasta Vongole excellent.Special Features:
- fantasticJMP123Dined on 9/11/2014The food was amazing as was the service. The space also has a great feeling. I love this place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels to die forOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014No need to go to the gym with food like this in one of San Francisco's hottest hoods. Just get the Mussels at Red Hill station for the full body experience. This chef knows his seafood, and his sauces. Bon apetit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpeccableSffoodieVIPDined on 9/7/2014Dinner at Red Hill was perfect. The seafood was absolutely fresh & each preparation was a delight. We had oysters, smoked trout salad, and mussels and clams in a spicy broth. We scraped each plate clean. Friendly & food savvy wait staff. The interior is charming. A great addition to the SF dining scene. Can't wait to get back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific seafood at a Bernal gemstonefruitDined on 9/7/2014Red Hill Station is a real find -- we had an excellent celebratory birthday meal. The sauce with the linguine alla vongole was so good we ate it the remainder with a spoon; the Caesar dressing was terrific, and we loved the grilled calamari salad with figs -- it was just delicious. Also had great fish and chips (excellent fries!) Try the pot de creme for dessert -- the three of us fought over it! We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- One in a million...AndreaPDined on 9/7/2014The food is incredible, the service impeccable, the vibe very friendly and welcoming, and the overall experience is truly lovely. Red Hill is the place you want to take your parents when they visit SF to show them the foodie stuff of what we are truly made (and that you are happy they came to visit), the place you take the boy/girl of your dreams on that sacred first date, the place you take your spouse/partner to say "thank you" like you really mean it, and the place you go when you need comfort-everything. Run, do not walk, to Red Hill Station.Special Features:
- This place is great!sfojeffDined on 9/6/2014We've been to Red Hill Station three times in the past month -- what a great place! The first time was to celebrate a birthday with a couple of friends, the second was on a "date," and the third was with a group of out-of-town house guests. Each time was perfect! The food, with a concentration on fish, was wonderfully prepped and cooked just right. Simple and elegant. It's a joy to watch the activity in the amazingly small open kitchen -- like performance art. (If there are just two of you, try and snag the stools along the counter, where you have a direct view into the kitchen.) The service is knowledgeable and very friendly -- a welcome change for San Francisco! I didn't want to write this because it'll help the place to be discovered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dining experienceveggiesmadetoorderDined on 9/6/2014A memorable birthday meal especially prepared for fussy diners (vegetarian) , sizable servings,obviously fresh ingredients, Personal attention by the owner and staff, friendly cheerful ambiance, great space for casual dining experience. Lots of folks lining up all night long as the space filled up around 7 pm on a Saturday night. One can observe the cooks in open kitchen while waiting for table. Not too pricey but not inexpensive either. Imaginative desserts as well. Would definitely recommend for visitors new to San Francisco neighbourhood dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best SeafoodJerLynDined on 9/4/2014I went to this restaurant on recommendations that I read from previous diners. In fact, it was refreshing to dine at a casual, unpretentious restaurant.The food was delicious!! Loved the squid salad that I shared with my friend. The fish was cooked perfectly too! I also felt that the prices were reasonable for the quality of food. Service was relaxed and attentive. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to all my friends.Special Features:
- Great dining experience.TonyToneDined on 8/25/2014Staff was attentive, beer and wine list and the menu were well put together for a tasty little jem of progressive San Francisco dining spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it and want to go backJeffVIPDined on 8/23/2014Fantastic new Bernal gem. So glad they are there. :-)Special Features:
- New and GoodmetooVIPDined on 8/23/2014Red Hill seems like a place frequented by locals. I found that while new it is already pretty good with welcoming service and food that is well portioned and priced right. Caesar salad was great; sausage meatballs were good and the sauce they came in was lovely; fish and chips were nice enough although the coating that encased the very fresh fish was a bit too thick for my taste. You would probably disagree.
- mangia2Dined on 8/22/2014I learned about Red Hill Station from Bernalwood. Had the Albacore which was scrumptious, melt-in-the-mouth, subtly seasoned. Service was personable and attentive. I was welcomed by the owner. I'm a longtime Bernal resident and grateful for this new addition to the 'hood ~Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- red hill magic...phunkboyDined on 8/21/2014bernal is somewhat of an unknown village in san francisco, and red hill station is a new gem started by a couple locals. super friendly servers and incredible food. although i live in the neighborhood, I would travel across town to come eat here. make a reservation, as they been getting busy after some stellar reviews. taylor and amy have really created something special, and try charge way too little for their amazing dishes. special plus, they always have a veggie/vegan option, and taylor is great about making something special for those with dietary restrictions 😘...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another excellent bernal restaurantStephenDined on 8/17/2014wonderful dinner: outstanding service, comfortable atmosphere and excellent food. Five of us shared several very unique and tasty appetizers and salads, as well as the mussels (super), then five of the mains. The oyster pot pie and the clams were particularly over the top.Special Features:
- Disappointing MealtopocurlsDined on 8/17/2014Went here after reading rave reviews. Food missed the mark although promising enough that I will try again. I had the squid salad. Squid was grilled to perfection but over salted. The fig vinagrette was great but the lettuce had been grilled with too much oil. My dining companion had fish and chips. The batter was too thick and browned. The fries were very thin and again over done. Would come back and try the oysters, and some other fish dishes just because it would be grand to have a good neighborhood fish restaurant. But my meal will have to be quite a bit better for me to try a third visit.Special Features:
- Great findchiharveDined on 8/17/2014Wonderful new restaurant, with emphasis on fish and seafood. My dining companion said that it was the best linguine and clams that she has ever had.Special Features:
- Terrific neighborhood findMaggieVIPDined on 8/15/2014A great addition to the Bernal group of restaurants. Small menu but a great menu. Welcome to the neighborhood!Special Features: