Red Hat on the River
One Bridge Street
Irvington, NY 10533Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Red Hat on the River
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redhatontheriver.com/
- Phone: 9145915888x0
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday - Friday: 12pm - 3pm; DINNER: Monday - Thursday: 5pm-9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5pm - 11pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 8:30pm; SUNDAY BRUNCH: returns in the Fall
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle Lamb VanNess 9145915888x
- Entertainment: We offer live jazz on Wednesday evenings from 6-10pm.
- Special Events: Please contact Michelle Lamb VanNess with your special event requests. 914.591.5888 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Red Hat on the River
As MH Reed observed in the New York Times in February 2008, “Red Hat is so close to the river in Irvington that when the wind is up and the waves slap the shore, their icy spray covers the riverside path to the restaurant.” The two level, French bistro-inspired eatery is housed in a hundred -year -old factory building that has been transformed to feature an uninterrupted, 180 degree view of the river from the main and loft dining levels. Guests will enjoy the seasonal, Hudson Valley ingredients, as well as French bistro classics.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary French
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Red Hat on the River - Best Restaurants in Irvington ›
Red Hat on the River reviews from OpenTable diners
320 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (278)great for outdoor dining (265)special occasion (165)romantic (142)great for lunch (130)fit for foodies (127)neighborhood gem (121)great for brunch (90)hot spot (64)good for groups (64)vibrant bar scene (62)notable wine list (25)kid-friendly (23)late-night find (21)Show More
- Great view, food and serviceLindaJCuDined on 8/27/2014The restaurant on the river is beautiful, the service is impeccable, there's a roof top lounge, outdoor dining, food is delish - what more could one want!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoors at Night is the only wayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Wait til nightfall. Get an outdoor table. Surprise your sweetheart. Take a walk along the water afterwards. They will be putty in your hands. Mu ha ha ha.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful in Every WayLeftyVIPDined on 8/24/2014Outdoor setting is absolutely magnificent. Food was terrific. Excellent service with attention to detail. Fabulous dining experience.Special Features:
- Nice location!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014If the weather is nice, sitting outside with a view of the Hudson is quite an experience! Food was delicious, and there was a nice atmosphere. Service was good. Recommend trying it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!Olivejuice1Dined on 8/22/2014Great food, Great service, relaxing atmosphere; what more could you hope for in a resturant?Special Features:
- Beautiful but over pricedLovegoodfoodDined on 8/21/2014Beautiful view and interior, the food is good but over priced for what you get. The drinks are good but also over priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor DiningLoraDined on 8/21/2014The Red Hat provides a very nice menu at affordable prices with great service in a very lovely setting. The Hudson River view is beautiful and if you dine outside the view includes the lower Manhattan skyline.Special Features:
- Great food service and sunset viewsMaggieDined on 8/19/2014A most enjoyable dining experience for my first visit to Red Hat. All courses were well prepared and delicious. Waiter attentive and even took our photo. Bartender in the rooftop lounge made some great drink selections for us pre-dinner. Amazing sunset view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a location!NYTheatergoerDined on 8/19/2014Right on the Hudson River, behind the Irvington Metro North train station, the views from both inside and out on the patio are fantastic. We went for mid-week lunch and the menu items ranged from light (salads) to sandwiches, to heavier dishes, giving the diner a wide choice. Our waitress was very attentive and helpful. We were not hurried, even though we were the last to leave. Be warned: parking stinks. there is a large lot but generally it is filled from the local businesses. Give yourself time to find a spot and don't let it spoil your meal. Or, better yet - take the train! The destination is worth it!Special Features:
- 2ndtimerDined on 8/17/2014This was my third dining experience here. It continues to offer excellent ambience, service and food. I will return.Special Features:
- A perfect eveningLuigiGSGoout14Dined on 8/17/2014No better place better for a romantic couple that truly enjoys Exceptionally prepared food and wine. We were well taken care of in every way . A reservation yielded the perfectly placed inner table at the window. We had the crab cake appetizer PEI muscles , pork chop And a customized fruit platter for dessert . A complimentary glass of dessert wine with a small wedge of pungent cheese was brought to us by the manager who had been with the owners for many many years . Service was seamless. Attention to detail was Impeccable. All this and the ability to be outside by the river as the sun was going down. Exquisite !!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerSJTGDined on 8/16/2014The restaurant has a beautiful view of the Hudson River and the Tappan Zee Bridge. The food was adequate; although we have eaten there before and on those occasions the food has been much better. It may be because in the summer months it is very crowded. The view, however, makes up for any shortcomings in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinnerthegrillmaster26Dined on 8/15/2014Great food with a beautiful view of the river. Very cool and comfortable atmosphere. The dining room was full but not noisy. We would love to dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarkayDined on 8/15/2014Great location with a great menu. Staff was so considerate - when it got quite cold while eating on the patio, the staff went around and handed out shawls to keep everyone warm.Special Features:
- Spectacular settingSkipBuzzVIPDined on 8/13/2014Spectacular setting on the Hudson River! Food is very good seasonal fare. Ricotta gnocchi, scallops with corn and tomato, pork/duck rillettes, steak frites were all done very well. Wine list is nicely varied and very affordable. Service is friendly and fine. Place is very popular regardless of day of week so volume can get very energetic!I would recommend this to a friend.
- RonnieDined on 8/11/2014Delicious food, carefully prepared. Excellent service. Festive atmosphere with fabulous river views.Special Features:
- Our go-to!AustiniteDined on 8/11/2014We have been to the red hat scores of times since it has opened. It continues to excel in ambience, small but significant changes in/additions to the menu, a million-dollar Hudson River view and sunset, a roof-top bar with comfortable couch seating, and most importantly, a humble, kind, gracious, empathic and thoroughly entertaining owner, Jimmy. Multiple friends of ours from Manhattan have asked to come back to The Red Hat after taking them there for the first time.Special Features:
- Everything but the high chairRobertBrooklynDined on 8/10/2014Fantastic place. Really lovely setting; this is not just a joint coasting on a nice river view. The interior is truly special. The service is top notch. The food is excellent. I had the hanger steak frites. It was the most tender hanger I think I have ever had. The bernaise is clearly made with care. All of the details were lovely. All that was missing was the high chair! This is not to an urban restaurant. Most diners likely come from families in the area (though this is hardly a "family restaurant"). If you have high chairs you will get us back more often and not just when we can get a sitter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The view makes upLuvfoodDined on 8/8/2014Hey, you're sitting al fresco right next to the Hudson River, so that made up for the lousy mussels. It said PEI, and I even asked the waitress if they we're plump and luscious and she assured me they were. Yet the mussels came out dried and tasteless. My friends salmon sandwich looked good and she said it was ok. Like I said, the Hudson. River view makes up for lack of top notch food.Special Features:
- Nice SpotSrinckerDined on 8/7/2014First time at the Red Hat and we had a lovely time. The atmosphere was very cool, food was delicious and wait staff was super accommodating and nice. Would go back again.Special Features:
- food good - portions small.RoseDined on 8/6/2014when you give potatoe puree (which is mashed potatoe) with a meal you should give more than a tablespoon, which was all that it was. That truly is ridiculousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2014Love Red Hat! As a local to Westchester this is just a beautiful restaurant with great food, great view and great service to take anyone for lunch, dinners, drinks or brunch!!Special Features:
- Great lunch spot but not upstairsKay76Dined on 8/6/2014Fantastic food, excellent service, lovely setting, but not in upstairs seating area. Too noisy and too little view of the river and the outdoor area. Will return again, but would definitely ask for a first-floor reservation in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Hat is a foodie gem!SergioDined on 8/5/2014We thought we'd be going to an average dinner just for a beautiful view of of the Hudson. But we were pleasantly surprised when we first tasted the crab cake app & knew then we were in for a treat! The chef prepared my swordfish perfectly & my husband was delighted with his lobster roll which consisted of more lobster meat than anything else! The service was delightful & the bartenders on the roof pour well blended drinks! One warning - you cannot reserve outside seating. But if you're lucky enough to be seated downstairs by an open window, you'll feel as if you're outside on the river.Special Features:
- Red HatDinerxDined on 8/5/2014Usually good food an atmosphere. We ate upstairs and the view was very good.Special Features:
- Great experience!CarolineDined on 8/4/2014Portions were small and wine list was a little short but the view was spectacular. The ambience was very nice and wonderful attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/2/2014Great place to sit outside on summer evenings while waiting for a coveted table. One can sip drinks and gaze at the Tapanzee over the Hudson. Snag a window table and the view can continue. The bistro menu is limited but good and the food is prepared to your liking. The hamburger stands out and, in my view, is one of the best items on the menu. One dessert deserves mention: fresh Jersey peaches were used in instead of apples in the tatine, and I requested vanilla ice cream in lieu of the offered whip cream; the resulting dessert was outstanding. The service is solicitous and the ambiance is romantic. However, the restaurant is quite noisy until later in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Wonderful!QueentutDined on 8/1/2014There are many places in lower Westchester County that you can go to and get a good and expensive meal, but there are very few places where you will get that good meal right on the Hudson river, in such a beautiful and fun atmosphere. And, while you can spend copious amounts there if you choose, if you go for lunch and you order judiciously (soft drinks, instead of wine, for instance) this place becomes an affordable luxury that is the perfect venue for special occasions or just for an occasional indulgence. The burger with blue cheese is divine (and I am not a big meat fan)and there are many other choices for a variety of tastes. It is the perfect escape from the bustling lives that many of us lead here--a guaranteed good time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All for the viewJamieVIPDined on 7/30/2014We dined outside and enjoyed ourselves. The service was very good. The patio overlooking the river and sunset is dog-friendly, but not all dog owners are people-friendly, so we watched a very large dog pee on the patio ground lights and listened to him bark. The food was average and the wine over-priced, but then again the view compensated for any short-comings.Special Features:
- Great viewcarmb6VIPDined on 7/30/2014Nice outdoor dining but they need more umbrellas, sun was way to strong to sit outside without proper coverage. Great jazz, food was okay nothing special & good drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Outdoor Reservations!Mainetravel14Dined on 7/29/2014ALthough we had reservations for 1:00pm, it didn't apply to outdoor dining. We decided to get wine at the bar, and head outside to wait.It was quite noisy inside, and outdoors was lovely.. Our table was ready after 45 minutes or so. The service was attentive, with someone constantly filling our water glasses, and to check on our needs. The cheese omelette was a bit thicker than most. The smoked cheese was on the mild side, so it wasn't overpowering in the omelette. It was served with a side of fresh caesar salad. The portion was on the large side. Cream puffs were served with coffee. They were soft with a vanilla flavored custard filing, that did not disappoint. The cappuccinos were served with a candy swizzle stick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!!MrizVIPDined on 7/29/2014Love the Red Hat the food is always fabulous. Out door patio is beautiful. I always take family and friends when they come to New York and they love it. I will go back again and again!Special Features:
- Red Hat Razzle DazzleNDAFoodiesDined on 7/27/2014Know what the best kept secret in Irvington is? It's Red Hat on the River! From the shimmering late afternoon sun on the Hudson to the amicable staff to the amazing food, the Red Hat has it all. We surprised a friend with a birthday dinner and by the end of the meal she said she couldn't think of any place she would rather be. That comment says it all. Grab your honey, a few friends and enjoy a great evening on the River. MaryBeth and Jimmy went out of their way to make us feel like regulars, when in fact, we were first timers. What a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be coming soon again!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/27/2014Red Hat is a river-town gem, and never disappoints. We had a lovely meal - everything cooked well and served quickly and efficiently. I learned on this occasion that the prosecco split was an especially good choice in the summertime - cold and festive, and a good buy.Special Features:
- Enjoyable, relaxing, scenic viewPartyPlannerDined on 7/27/2014Weather was perfect for our early dinner on the outside patio. Waiter was gracious and accommodating. Food very well presented and tasteful. Already spread the word to family and friends. Plan to return again soon to enjoy more delicious menu offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just perfect!SimerialDined on 7/25/2014The food (we had swordfish and salmon). Crab cake was delicious as we'll. not to mention the chocolate base dessert. Service was warm and the ambiance was great. Must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/22/2014The Red Hat is a find for Westchester folks as it really has everything: very good food, a beautiful dining room where it and the large outside deck have direct views of the Hudson, and pleasant service. It's also dependable.Special Features:
- red hatMemeDined on 7/22/2014for is good, staff is polite and attentive, meals tend to be overpricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/22/2014Beautiful view of the Hudson, imaginative food for lunch, and pleasant staff. I would recommend it, especially in nice weather.Special Features:
- A Mini VacationbeachloverDined on 7/21/2014The setting is just spectacular and the food is very good. Love the old factory buildings and of course the river. The Arugula and Jersey Peach salad with chicken was "summery" and delicious with an ample portion of well seasoned grilled chicken. Perfect spot to share a lovely couple of hours with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.