Red Hat on the River
One Bridge Street
Irvington, NY 10533Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Red Hat on the River
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redhatontheriver.com/
- Phone: (914) 591-5888 ext. 0
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday - Friday: 12pm - 3pm; DINNER: Monday - Thursday: 5pm-9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5pm - 10:30pm, Sunday BRUNCH: 11:30am-3pm; Sunday DINNER: 4:30pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle Lamb VanNess 9145915888x
- Entertainment: We offer live jazz on Wednesday evenings from 6-10pm (Spring through early Fall).
- Special Events: Please contact Michelle Lamb VanNess with your special event requests. 914.591.5888 or email@example.com
A word from Red Hat on the River
As MH Reed observed in the New York Times in February 2008, “Red Hat is so close to the river in Irvington that when the wind is up and the waves slap the shore, their icy spray covers the riverside path to the restaurant.” The two level, French bistro-inspired eatery is housed in a hundred -year -old factory building that has been transformed to feature an uninterrupted, 180 degree view of the river from the main and loft dining levels. Guests will enjoy the seasonal, Hudson Valley ingredients, as well as French bistro classics.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Red Hat on the River - Best Restaurants in Irvington ›
Red Hat on the River reviews from OpenTable diners
256 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (203)great for outdoor dining (171)fit for foodies (142)special occasion (138)romantic (116)great for lunch (106)neighborhood gem (92)great for brunch (63)hot spot (57)good for groups (53)vibrant bar scene (47)notable wine list (27)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (11)Show More
- Awesome food and settingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/18/2014Awesome food and setting. Each of the courses was great and the setting couldn't be better. Even in Fall there is a great view of the river.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBV42Dined on 11/17/2014Dined there relatively late on a Monday evening. Nice ambiance, quiet (given the time and date, no surprise there). Friendly, attentive service, and simply excellent food. Not exotic, but imaginatively and exquisitely seasoned and prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome placeDPDPDined on 11/16/2014Loved the view and the romantic ambiance. Really cool place for a date. The food was good and I particularly liked the Vihno Verde that was paired with brunch. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!!SurbskiDined on 11/14/2014I can't wait for the summer so we can go back there again and experiencethe outdoorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nene071188Dined on 11/14/2014the waitress was amazing. we thought it was part of friday night dinner restaurant week but it wasnt. still we decided to stay. the waitress brought us an appetizer on the house to apologize for the inconvinience which was really sweet. were glad we stayed because the food was great. i had the steak which was cooked perfectly and my friend had the chicken which was so flavorful and tender. for dessert we shared a chocolate and salted caramel tarte which was also delicious. i highly reccomend it to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014Never have had bad service, food or wine! Great view to catch a sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatJDinerDined on 11/14/2014The Red Hat never disappoints. The food is always great: I has mussels that were done to perfection and dessert was wonderful mix of ice cream, chocolate sauce and cranberries that was perfect. Then there's the view. How lucky are we to live in the Hudson Valley? My absolute favorite place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and generous lunch lunch.SandiDined on 11/13/2014Food, service and ambience were superb. Noise level was very bad. Difficult to talk with others at our table. Otherwise, overall experience was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Restaurant Week Lunch!Susie618VIPDined on 11/13/2014Outstanding Lunch and menu during Restaurant Week! The food seems to be even better each time we dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, Ambience & View- A don't missEvePVIPDined on 11/13/2014Delicious Food, Fabulous Service and Fabulous View of the RiverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!TessaVIPDined on 11/12/2014Love it the food here & have never had a bad experience: it's one of my Westchester favs! -134Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ambiance, food and wait staffRiverdalePatDined on 11/12/2014Came for lunch during Restaurant Week. Although the restaurant was extremely busy, the service was impeccable. Every server was friendly and calm. It was not frenetic at all and we were not rushed at all. The food was excellent (probably the best onion soup we ever had) and the Hudson River view was glorious. Ate there in November so was not able to take advantage of their beautiful outdoor space, but the interior is lovely and all tables had a view of the river. Most definitely will go back to the Red Hat. Highly recommend this restaurant. It is clear that the owners have set a high standard for their restaurant and they succeeded in achieving that standard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulCosmoDined on 11/12/2014Have eaten here twice. I liked it in the daytime so I could see the wonderful view. The food was great, really loved the onion soup. Service was super. Would definitely go back. Everyone that was in my party thanked me for picking such a great place to eat.Special Features:
- The food matched the viewXteenDined on 11/11/2014We had a fabulous Duck and Pork Rillete to start with an excellent mustard and perfectly toasted baguette. This was followed by excellent mussels with not an ounce of grit on it.. the sauce was fabulous also. Dessert was a profiterole.. nice size with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce over it. The ice cream was my only issue.. it was kind of watery and not enough vanilla for the taste to shine. The coffee was excellent and the view of the Hudson here was just lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceGirlabouttownDined on 11/10/2014I went with my husband for Restaurant Week. The place was packed, and we had to wait a while for our table, but overall it was a very pleasant experience. Also, It took a long time for each course to arrive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delish!love2eatDined on 11/9/2014This is my 2nd time here and I think place is great! The service is always with a smile and the food is good! I live in Harlem and will make time out of my schedule just to come here and grab a bit on the weekends!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How to ruin a good viewDaphneDDined on 11/7/2014Took a client here for lunch. Thought the food and ambience would be perfect for talking over a project. At first the poor service was not a problem. But waiting for a simple salad entree for over an hour was embarrassing and annoying.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2014Went there for Hudson Valley Restaurant Week. Glad we did. Place was MOBBED. Very happy with our choice. Food was great. Short ribs were to die for! Highly recommend going. View of Hudson River is spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as usualMaresDined on 11/6/2014My husband and I love the Red Hat. That said, the meal we had this week just wasn't quite up to par. My muscles were a little Mealy and the salmon was a little dry. The service is always impeccable and the restaurant is beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diner1Dined on 11/6/2014Great lunch during restaurant week. The short rib is outstanding.Special Features:
- Not the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014The Red Hat was good, but not the best. The food is good, but not completely refined and for the type of food they serve, I much prefer the food and the ambiance of St. George in Hastings on Hudson.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/4/2014We have been to Red Hat in all seasons and especially enjoy being outside on the patio by the river, up on the roof top for drinks on a warm summer night, inside on Jazz nights but this time we were tucked inside for Hudson Valley Restaurant week. Their three course menu had fun choices for just $29.95. Great wine list and wonderful food. My only regret was that when we made the reservation on Open Table it would only allow us to book a table at 5:15 yet there were consistently many empty tables throughout the evening and we weren't hurried and left our leisurely dinner at 7:15. My suggestion is to call for a reservation and I'm sure you will have more flexibility of time.Special Features:
- The Red HatsandpsimbazuzuDined on 11/4/2014Good food. Not cheap but worth it. Our server (Kim) was amazing and made the evening. Would go back.Special Features:
- ManiDined on 11/3/2014We had a great time, enjoyed the view and food. Will go back soon.Special Features:
- excellent place, great foodTUIinUSADined on 11/2/2014Had a wonderful Sunday brunch there, food was excellent, very good desserts. Absolutely recommendable. And the service is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too loud!Housy123VIPDined on 11/1/2014I have never been in a louder restaurant in my life!Special Features:
- Riverside diningGinzingerDined on 11/1/2014This restaurant is situation right on the Hudson River; we enjoyed watching the stormy waters with the occasional barge or ship going by. The food was very good with the exception of the rillettes appetizer, which one of us found tasteless. One had the sea scallops and the others had short ribs; both were excellent. The servers were very attentive. We want to give a shout-out to the person who noticed that one of our party had left a shoulder bag behind and called us immediately, before we'd left the parking lot. That saved us considerable stress!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014worth repeat visit. great wedding venue. ambiance is great. veggie friendly. nice wines.Special Features:
- Sweeping views, delicious dessertsjoelockDined on 10/31/2014Amazing Staff, relaxing friendly and accommodating. The food was excellent and the portions were just right. The waitress suggested an apple cider sangria which was amazing. They made our birthday luncheon special, the desserts are not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The views and food are spectacular!Alwaysgood2dineVIPDined on 10/30/2014A terrific dining experience with a great selection of appetizers and entrees only to be matched by fantastic service. Set along the Hudson River at the foot of Irvington, the Red Hat is not one to miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place butOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/30/2014Nice place, good service, awful french fries. The meat was good, but the fries seemed like they fried them with some really old burnt oil. Something so little can make a big difference.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable high qualityBurdDined on 10/26/2014Excellent dining experience in terms of delectable food, good wine selections, spot-on service, gracious setting and lighting. The noise level downstairs was very high while all tables were full, but it quieted down some later. We joked about conversing using our cell phones, the better to hear at our table. We thoroughly enjoyed the evening and will put Red Hat at the top of our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love This Place!KGRacDined on 10/26/2014The view. The service. The food. All terrific. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- AlbalDined on 10/26/2014Wonderful in every way - except that when you have a late brunch & the shift changes, the service deteriorates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisy and bad serviceNashnoushehDined on 10/22/2014Very noisy, bad service, not much choice for vegans, quinoa Berger burnt to a crisp
- Repeat dinerJeanBenaDined on 10/21/2014Love this restaurant. My friends and I make an annual visit in October and always have a great mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceDLC1958Dined on 10/21/2014Located in a charming, renovated warehouse on the River, it offers a large yet cozy ambience. Surprisingly, the restaurant was packed this past Tuesday night. The staff was professional. The menu is creative and offers something for everyone. I was disappointed that there was only 1 meat special that evening, and that I could not order a glass of cabernet which is offered only by the bottle (really?) and the suggested replacement was not very enjoyable. Everything we ordered was delicious, with unusual taste pairings that worked, albeit the portion sizes were all around small - my recall is 1 medium sized crab cake - (not sure about price) and only 1 short rib for the special dinner entrée (again, not sure about the price). Will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChoiceLoraDined on 10/21/2014The Red Hat is a great restaurant--the decor is welcoming, the view amazing, the food very good, and the staff and service excellent.Special Features:
- A Perfect Date NightEDREDREDRVIPDined on 10/17/2014We sat at the bar and enjoyed the food, drinks, service, atmosphere and people watching. A wonderful night out.Special Features:
- Gem on the riverKathleen55Dined on 10/17/2014The location is perfect lo-HUD charm, right on the Hudson River. The service was excellent. The menu is focused and they do a superb job with their meals. In particular, this time I loved the squash soup and the ravioli. I highly recommend The Red Hat for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.