Red Hat on the River
One Bridge Street
Irvington, NY 10533Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Red Hat on the River
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redhatontheriver.com/
- Phone: 9145915888x0
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday - Friday: 12pm - 3pm; DINNER: Monday - Thursday: 5pm-9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5pm - 10:30pm, Sunday BRUNCH: 11:30am-3pm; Sunday DINNER: 5pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle Lamb VanNess 9145915888x
- Entertainment: We offer live jazz on Wednesday evenings from 6-10pm.
- Special Events: Please contact Michelle Lamb VanNess with your special event requests. 914.591.5888 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Red Hat on the River
As MH Reed observed in the New York Times in February 2008, “Red Hat is so close to the river in Irvington that when the wind is up and the waves slap the shore, their icy spray covers the riverside path to the restaurant.” The two level, French bistro-inspired eatery is housed in a hundred -year -old factory building that has been transformed to feature an uninterrupted, 180 degree view of the river from the main and loft dining levels. Guests will enjoy the seasonal, Hudson Valley ingredients, as well as French bistro classics.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Red Hat on the River - Best Restaurants in Irvington ›
Red Hat on the River reviews from OpenTable diners
270 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (237)great for outdoor dining (236)special occasion (142)romantic (125)great for lunch (114)fit for foodies (114)neighborhood gem (102)great for brunch (72)hot spot (61)vibrant bar scene (58)good for groups (54)notable wine list (23)late-night find (19)kid-friendly (15)Show More
- Cozy GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2014Love the cozy atmosphere and the steak frites! Nice wines by the glass. Friendly service.Special Features:
- FoodyCDined on 9/22/2014My favorite restaurant, even though I live in Manhattan and get to eat at the top rated restaurants there.Special Features:
- A Fabulous ChoicePGSKDined on 9/19/2014This is a wonderful unique and very very special place! Love it! Only my second time here and I will come back often...everything about Red Hat is outstanding! Thank you.Special Features:
- Dinner with sunset.SE1111Dined on 9/18/2014Very nice ambiance, we had a table at the window. We saw a nice sunset and enjoyed great food and drinks with our friends. I have eaten at the Red Hat a couple of times and always enjoyed it. View of the NYC skyline, right at the Hudson River.Nice background music. Will come again.Special Features:
- Perfect locationHungrygirlDined on 9/18/2014Right on the river, so it's perfect for outdoor dining. Interesting menu choices. I had the bacon, egg and toast salad. Sounds weird, but delicious. Red Hat Cosmo great with my lunch. Dessert was OMG good too. Ice cream enrobed in chocolate with puff pastry and candied nuts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red HatTeacherDined on 9/18/2014Though it is a little out of the way the trip to Red Hat is worth it. The views of the Hudson are spectacular, esp. on a beautiful day. We were a group of friends who had not seen one another in a while. We appreciated that the server did not hurry us. Our skirt steak salad was quite good with just the right amount of seasoning, kick & cilantro. A lovely experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful Sunday evening meal!Sylvia25Dined on 9/14/2014We met friends for a light dinner last Sunday night. They came from Scarsdale and we from Fishkill, NY. What a great meeting place to enjoy a lovely meal in a perfect setting. Since my husband and I got there a bit earlier, we sat at the bar and had drinks. I had a delicious dirty martini prepared exactly to my liking and my husband enjoyed his Grey Goose vodka on the rocks. We sat there leisurely, occasionally looking out over the beautiful river view and anticipated our friend's arrival. When we were all seated for dinner, all of us commented on the beauty of place, the wonderful menu, and the gratitude we all had for being there...Special Features:
- Great sandwichesJeriVIPDined on 9/12/2014The Meditterano Ahi Tuna sandwich was one of the best sandwiches I've ever had. As a matter fact I had to come back the next day and have it again as did my mom! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best in Westchesteradgal1VIPDined on 9/5/2014Always our 1st choice.. everything is excellent! Love the food, service, view, and especially the Pear martinis!Special Features:
- Great SunsetsMunchVIPDined on 9/4/2014I went to the Red Hat for lunch to celebrate the first day of retirement. My friends and I had a wonderful table outside. The view couldn't be better, and the staff was so accommodating. I had the chicken over salad with chopped apples in it. It was cooked perfectly and the salad and dressing were great. On a clear night you can enjoy the food while viewing the best sunsets over the water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always FantasticMichaelRVIPDined on 8/31/2014First time review but been here many times - always amazed and wowed. The food always as expected. Service is amazing - always there anticipating your every need. The views are incredible but the food is extraordinary. Service couldn't be better - truly a professional staff. I've yet to found any flaw here - they are that good! Food and service is top class.Special Features:
- jeh61Dined on 8/30/2014Rooftop bar had great view/ambiance. Our server Kim was very friendly and helpful. Mussels were shared by 4 as an appetizer & were very flavorful. Scallops, swordfish and steak entrees were all cooked perfectly and delicious. Nice wine list. Cant wait to return.Special Features:
- Priceless!!!JustTheFactsDined on 8/30/2014Just went for the first time, and it blew away all of my expectations! What a gem! Can't wait to try the brunch. It has: location, views, food, service, ambiance, and romance. Can't stop thinking about it. And by the way, for all you get the price was very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingAndria87Dined on 8/30/2014We were in town just for the night and found that Red Hat had great reviews. We were blown away by the quality of service, beautiful views of the Hudson River, incredible views and superb cocktail menu. I think the best thing we had was the appetizer (Spicy Yellow fin Tuna Tartare). It was delicious and perfectly seasoned. If we are ever in New York again, we will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Very Good overall experienceFood4ThoughtDined on 8/28/2014Great location and parking. Beautiful outdoor views on Patio and Rooftop. Very busy restaurant that does very well. Very attentive service, food is good but not great...but hey i expect a lot seeing such high scores on open table. But hey, If it ain't broke....Special Features:
- Great view, food and serviceLindaJCuDined on 8/27/2014The restaurant on the river is beautiful, the service is impeccable, there's a roof top lounge, outdoor dining, food is delish - what more could one want!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- red hat review from a recente dinerjjbdinesoutDined on 8/26/2014red hat was a unique EXPERIENCE. the night was a perfect one, especially the food, our pork chops were outstanding- perfectly cooked and had great side dishes to complement them. dessert was tops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoors at Night is the only wayAskReynetDined on 8/25/2014Wait til nightfall. Get an outdoor table. Surprise your sweetheart. Take a walk along the water afterwards. They will be putty in your hands. Mu ha ha ha.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful in Every WayLeftyVIPDined on 8/24/2014Outdoor setting is absolutely magnificent. Food was terrific. Excellent service with attention to detail. Fabulous dining experience.Special Features:
- Nice location!SBayDined on 8/24/2014If the weather is nice, sitting outside with a view of the Hudson is quite an experience! Food was delicious, and there was a nice atmosphere. Service was good. Recommend trying it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!Olivejuice1Dined on 8/22/2014Great food, Great service, relaxing atmosphere; what more could you hope for in a resturant?Special Features:
- celebrated anniversarydapchackaDined on 8/21/2014I was really happy with the location, food, service and ambiance. We even had the owner give us an umbrella so that we would not get wet getting to our car.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful but over pricedLovegoodfoodDined on 8/21/2014Beautiful view and interior, the food is good but over priced for what you get. The drinks are good but also over priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor DiningLoraDined on 8/21/2014The Red Hat provides a very nice menu at affordable prices with great service in a very lovely setting. The Hudson River view is beautiful and if you dine outside the view includes the lower Manhattan skyline.Special Features:
- Great food service and sunset viewsMaggieDined on 8/19/2014A most enjoyable dining experience for my first visit to Red Hat. All courses were well prepared and delicious. Waiter attentive and even took our photo. Bartender in the rooftop lounge made some great drink selections for us pre-dinner. Amazing sunset view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a location!NYTheatergoerDined on 8/19/2014Right on the Hudson River, behind the Irvington Metro North train station, the views from both inside and out on the patio are fantastic. We went for mid-week lunch and the menu items ranged from light (salads) to sandwiches, to heavier dishes, giving the diner a wide choice. Our waitress was very attentive and helpful. We were not hurried, even though we were the last to leave. Be warned: parking stinks. there is a large lot but generally it is filled from the local businesses. Give yourself time to find a spot and don't let it spoil your meal. Or, better yet - take the train! The destination is worth it!Special Features:
- 2ndtimerDined on 8/17/2014This was my third dining experience here. It continues to offer excellent ambience, service and food. I will return.Special Features:
- A perfect eveningLuigiGSGoout14Dined on 8/17/2014No better place better for a romantic couple that truly enjoys Exceptionally prepared food and wine. We were well taken care of in every way . A reservation yielded the perfectly placed inner table at the window. We had the crab cake appetizer PEI muscles , pork chop And a customized fruit platter for dessert . A complimentary glass of dessert wine with a small wedge of pungent cheese was brought to us by the manager who had been with the owners for many many years . Service was seamless. Attention to detail was Impeccable. All this and the ability to be outside by the river as the sun was going down. Exquisite !!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerSJTGDined on 8/16/2014The restaurant has a beautiful view of the Hudson River and the Tappan Zee Bridge. The food was adequate; although we have eaten there before and on those occasions the food has been much better. It may be because in the summer months it is very crowded. The view, however, makes up for any shortcomings in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinnerthegrillmaster26Dined on 8/15/2014Great food with a beautiful view of the river. Very cool and comfortable atmosphere. The dining room was full but not noisy. We would love to dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarkayVIPDined on 8/15/2014Great location with a great menu. Staff was so considerate - when it got quite cold while eating on the patio, the staff went around and handed out shawls to keep everyone warm.Special Features:
- Spectacular settingSkipBuzzVIPDined on 8/13/2014Spectacular setting on the Hudson River! Food is very good seasonal fare. Ricotta gnocchi, scallops with corn and tomato, pork/duck rillettes, steak frites were all done very well. Wine list is nicely varied and very affordable. Service is friendly and fine. Place is very popular regardless of day of week so volume can get very energetic!I would recommend this to a friend.
- RonnieDined on 8/11/2014Delicious food, carefully prepared. Excellent service. Festive atmosphere with fabulous river views.Special Features:
- Our go-to!AustiniteDined on 8/11/2014We have been to the red hat scores of times since it has opened. It continues to excel in ambience, small but significant changes in/additions to the menu, a million-dollar Hudson River view and sunset, a roof-top bar with comfortable couch seating, and most importantly, a humble, kind, gracious, empathic and thoroughly entertaining owner, Jimmy. Multiple friends of ours from Manhattan have asked to come back to The Red Hat after taking them there for the first time.Special Features:
- Everything but the high chairRobertBrooklynDined on 8/10/2014Fantastic place. Really lovely setting; this is not just a joint coasting on a nice river view. The interior is truly special. The service is top notch. The food is excellent. I had the hanger steak frites. It was the most tender hanger I think I have ever had. The bernaise is clearly made with care. All of the details were lovely. All that was missing was the high chair! This is not to an urban restaurant. Most diners likely come from families in the area (though this is hardly a "family restaurant"). If you have high chairs you will get us back more often and not just when we can get a sitter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The view makes upLuvfoodDined on 8/8/2014Hey, you're sitting al fresco right next to the Hudson River, so that made up for the lousy mussels. It said PEI, and I even asked the waitress if they we're plump and luscious and she assured me they were. Yet the mussels came out dried and tasteless. My friends salmon sandwich looked good and she said it was ok. Like I said, the Hudson. River view makes up for lack of top notch food.Special Features:
- Nice SpotSrinckerDined on 8/7/2014First time at the Red Hat and we had a lovely time. The atmosphere was very cool, food was delicious and wait staff was super accommodating and nice. Would go back again.Special Features:
- food good - portions small.RoseDined on 8/6/2014when you give potatoe puree (which is mashed potatoe) with a meal you should give more than a tablespoon, which was all that it was. That truly is ridiculousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2014Love Red Hat! As a local to Westchester this is just a beautiful restaurant with great food, great view and great service to take anyone for lunch, dinners, drinks or brunch!!Special Features:
- Great lunch spot but not upstairsKay76Dined on 8/6/2014Fantastic food, excellent service, lovely setting, but not in upstairs seating area. Too noisy and too little view of the river and the outdoor area. Will return again, but would definitely ask for a first-floor reservation in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.