125 Camp Street
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Central Business District
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redgravycafe.com/
- Phone: (504) 561-8844
- Hours of Operation:
Weekday brunch 8am - 2pm
Weekend brunch 8am - 2pm
Dinner Thurs, Fri & Sat. 6-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Sicilian
- Executive Chef: Roseann Melisi Rostoker
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Anything from the regular menu is available. Custom menus available.
- Entertainment: Live music Saturday and Sunday brunch
A word from Red Gravy
Cozy restaurant serving rustic Italian cuisine using recipes from my family. Red Gravy is a proud Farm to Table house, sourcing most ingredients from local farmers, fishers and bakers. All pasta is handmade.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Red Gravy - Best Restaurants in Central Business District ›
Red Gravy reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)fit for foodies (21)great for brunch (18)romantic (11)special occasion (11)great for lunch (8)good for groups (6)hot spot (5)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Red Gravy ReviewMARYBADined on 11/15/2014The Good: The spaghetti with red gravy was well seasoned and the portion was ample. The Bad: We have had good luck with reservations through Open Table wherever we travel but this was the worst experience we had in New Orleans. The steak was tough. The front of the house staff was inattentive and unskilled at serving guests in their restaurant. The hostess did not make us feel welcome to the restaurant or provide menus when we were seated. She did have time for a lengthy personal call. When the menus were brought, we were never asked if we wanted to have beverages served before we ordered. We ordered salads which were never brought. It appears that the waitress mixed up orders between tables because we received dinners that we did not order. When the check was brought we brought it to the attention of the waitress that we were charged $25 for salads that we never received and asked for a corrected check. Rather than apologizing, the waitress questioned us like we were not being honest. We finally received a corrected check and an apology.
- Warm & Romantic Local BistroKatherineCabernet55Dined on 11/15/2014My husband & I ate breakfast here on Saturday (Nov 15). We had made reservations online. we were about 20 minutes early & they went ahead & seated us at a nice table for two in the center of this warm & cozy small bistro. The wonderful lady chef/owner, Roseanne, cooks in the Italian style, using lots of Italian sausages & other ingredients to prepare the meals. We've eaten here several times the past few years & she is always there & usually comes out to make sure everyone is enjoying their food. There was a jazz guitarist who was playing beautiful, relaxing music while we were dining. Our breakfast was very good. This restaurant is close to Canal Street but seems a world apart from the hectic, noisy pace of the French Quarter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good food but overpriced.RedfishDined on 11/14/2014For Italian food the quality was above average to very good. However there are two draw backs. First the prices are too high. $29.00 for Lasagne!!!. The waitress constantly had to apologize for how long it took for the food to come out of the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply delicious!!!NOLADined on 11/8/2014Never fails....always delicious!! Wonderful atmosphere with live music! Homemade touch! Always a fav!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodcubsfanatic1VIPDined on 11/7/2014We had fried artichoke appetizer, mussels, lasagna. All were very good. Only drawback was the desserts.Special Features:
- Good but a bit pricey.KjackDined on 11/7/2014We enjoyed our meal, the wine and the service and ambience were fine. Prices were about 30% higher than I would have expected for the types of pasta we ordered. Not a great value.Special Features:
- Not coming backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Although we had a reservation for two people at 11 AM, we were forced to wait for over 20 minutes outside the restaurant in the cold. I feel that if a business is going to force their patrons to wait even if they have a reservation that they should at least have a place for them to wait comfortably. I would've overlooked this issue if everything else had been adequate but it was not. The server was distracted by his friends coming into the restaurant speaking to him and we had to ask him for milk for tea three times before we received it. The food was just mediocre. I'm not sure why this place got such praise in reviews unless we simply were there on a very off day. I would absolutely not recommend or return to this restaurant.
- Delicious spotGABSDined on 10/26/2014It was a great brunch with awesome specials. A mix of Italian and southern food. Truly hit home for culture in NOLA :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breakfast on Monday.GourmandfrankDined on 10/20/2014A very nice atmosphere, beautiful decor with a delicious Pulpetta. The Decaf was excellent and Craig, the only waiter, was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brunchCarinDined on 10/19/2014This was by far the best meal we had in NOLA. We went for brunch and wished that we had enough time left in our trip to come back for lunch and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gravy or Sauce?PASQVIPDined on 10/10/2014We are from Philly, and like our Gravy robust! We were not disappointed by this neighborhood gem! Finding a spot near our hotel, that seemed miles away from the hassle of the French District, was just what we were looking for. We walked into a different world. The wait-staff was fantastic, attentive, funny and polite. The three of us ordered something different and shared. Everything was delicious. My husband ordered the meatball. It was pretty good by itself but delisioso with the red gravy (I would recommend serving it on the side if you don't want to serve it on the meatball). We had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatthreeormoreVIPDined on 10/3/2014was very impressed.... tried several things and all were great.... no doubt a repeat....Special Features:
- Second Visito2bntxDined on 9/27/2014We took my daughter and nephew here after a first dinner in April. Just as good, great wait staff, very falvorful food, excellent Manahattan/Rocks, and the Cacciucco was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Red GravyMimito2girlsDined on 9/27/2014We went to dinner on Saturday at 6:30 PM. We had a party of three my husband, myself and a friend. They loved the food, the ambience is absolutely adorable and Kai was an amazing waitress. I am more of a picky eater & only drink bud light or corona light so I didn't eat anything. I had brougt my water bottle so all was fine. I would love to just have the option of getting a plain steak with nothing on it. For drinks I would've loved a different variety of the domestic beers preferably a Bud Light:)! We plan to come back. They ate meat and cheese tray and absolutely loved it of course the garlic bread was amazing then my husband got the Saltimbuco and our friend got the Bolognese. This was our first time ever for all of us. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent weekend brunchStantheManDined on 9/26/2014Weekend brunch food and drink specials are really good. Reservations recommended as there is no indoor space for waiting and there is construction outside the door.Special Features:
- Loved the food but not the red winecea1VIPDined on 9/18/2014Quirky and cute small restaurant -went with party of 5. Wait staff attentive. They need a major overhaul of their red wine list- I kid you not -one of the wines tasted absolutely awful- with all the amazing wines available in the world-there must be some that would be in the price range that their regular customers would like- I suggest going to one top restaurants and asking manager who they use for wine purchase.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BrunchTNGnashvilleVIPDined on 9/6/2014A local couple overheard us asking someone where. Good place for brunch was and they interrupted us saying we had to go to Red Gravy. I am so glad they did!! Just off of Canal Street, it was easy to find and get to. The restaurant is pretty small but it is great! So charming and you really had this cosy Italian feel. There were so many great brunch options and it was hard to choose. We ordered two different things and then split them! The shirred eggs in a pastry were amazing!!! Shirred eggs pretty much means baked eggs, we had no idea. The potatoes were so yummy that came with it. We also got the godfather which was excellent too. This was really a great experience. Can't wait to go back and try some red gravy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding.FoodieForTheAgesDined on 8/31/2014As always Red Gravy did not disappoint. Amazing dishes using fresh, local ingredients. The meatballs with gravy are phenomenal. Although not available during this visit, you must try the fried chicken when it is available. Farm to table, most flavorful and juicy, fried to perfection, it is extraordinary.Special Features:
- WonderfulDannie0029Dined on 8/23/2014Everything we tasted was delicious but the red gravy with sausage was my favorite. I had the Lombardo and I can't wait to have it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First stopOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Read many comments in NO forum about the Red Gravy so we decided to make it our first eating choice for breakfast-although the food was ok still trying to figure out what is special about this place. Lots of other places that are better than this and it is kind of out of the way-new the maybe a problem when I asked several local people for directions and absolutely no one had heard of the Red Gravy-they were also having help issues the day we were there.
- Red Gravy: Great New Orleans BrunchNOLAfoodloverDined on 8/10/2014I highly recommend it for brunch and we are now inspired to go back for dinner soon.We had the Sicilian Egg Pie: Shirred eggs with cream & spices, baked in pasty. It came with some wonderful home fries that were moist and crispy at the same time and garlic bread with plenty of mozzarella. We also had the Umbria: Slow roasted pork, greens & provolone on crostini, with fruit. The pork was perfect and reminded me of some intense pork roast I used to get at a small Italian place in Boston’s North End. The well seasoned meat blended nicely with the cheese and greens and the toasty bread backed up these flavors. The fruit was a nice balance to the intensity of the main dish.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/8/2014maybe an off day- I will get it a try again- a lot was unavailable on menu
- A gem of a restaurantDelectableDined on 8/8/2014We fell upon this little gem on our first visit to NOLA. Each time we return, it's a staple for us. Best brunch & breakfast anyone could ask for. By far better than The Court of Two Sisters!! As always, the food & service was outstanding. We enjoyed the Praline Pancakes (my husband won't get anything else), the Godfather & Roe's breakfast! Delish!!! The red gravy is the best I've ever tasted. Kudos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BellaDined on 8/3/2014We have been here 3 times now for brunch and is consistantly delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 140 reviews are from the Red Gravy reviews archive.
- OverpricedFoodgirl27Dined on 7/2/2014Overpriced and small portions. There is better Italian in NOLA. That Red Gravy lauds its homemade pasta is no big deal. We expect this from an Italian restaurant!Special Features:
- Fun Brunch with friendsFunkyFleurdelisDined on 6/29/2014We brought our out of town friends here for Sunday Brunch and loved the atmosphere - even though its a small place, the food packs a big punch. Everything was super delicious and the bloody mary's were a standout for me. The banjo player made it a fun and very memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist trapOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014For starters the meatball appetizer was cold. I ordered today's special the 4 cheese Ravioli and it was store bought not freshly made as suggested by waiter.Wife had veal Marsla and they put peas in it and was spicy hot??? She did not eat it.We also had the house spec spinach salad,a so small dinner salad with spinach,berries and pecans.Finally when we got the bill and notice 45 dollars for salad,we are still shocked what a rip off/tourist trap
- Best food of vacation!SugarHubDined on 6/28/2014Second visit on trip home from beach. Our group was 8 people and they all raved about every dish. We made sure to order different choices so we could try them all. Also ordered a pecan waffle for the table. Great start to the meal. Cinnamon Toast Crunch Martini's delicious. Anna makes a wonderful Bloody Mary. Live music was truly a NOLA treat. Must stop each year. Brand new server, but the owner made up the difference in quality service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great breakfast at Red GravyOpenTableDinerVIPDined on 6/23/2014We had a great breakfast at Red Gravy. I usually don't think of meatballs for breakfast but we had them and they were terrific. The sauce of course was wonderful. I also had a great omelet that was perfectly cooked. Roseann, the owner and our server were very friendly and welcoming. All in all an excellent experience.Special Features:
- Good things in a small package!MeauxDined on 6/20/2014We brought a group of 8 people to Red Gravy. Everyone ordered something different and everyone RAVED about the food. Our waiter was fun and energetic and attentive but not interfering. The owner came out to ask us how we enjoyed the meal. The red gravy is one of the best I have ever had. The fresh pasta was cooked perfectly. The restaurant is very small but well worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PotentialtravelerVIPDined on 6/19/2014We found this restaurant on our gluten free restaurant site and decided to give it a try. They make a very good almond flour based pasta that was very good. The salad special was tasty. The wine serving was generous. My big complaint is with the prices. We split a simple pasta with red sauce, each had a salad and I had one glass of wine. The portions were not large. After tax and tip my bill was $81.19!!! I double checked the itemized bill and it was correct. NOT ACCEPTABLE!!! This is a chef/owner restaurant and I understand the economics of this venture but this is ridiculous! New Orleans has many wonderful well priced restaurants. This place will not be opened long if they continue to gouge the customer like this.
- Great for brunchSarahhDined on 6/15/2014We went to this restaurant for brunch on a Sunday. The food was excellent. Service was great. It is a small restaurant close to canal street. It is away from the crowds of the French quarter, which was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant a NO SHOWOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/7/2014We made the reservation for Saturday at 12:30 pm on June 7th. A credit card was required for the booking and we agreed that we could be charged $25 if we were no shows. We walked a mile to the location, arriving 15 minutes ahead of our reservations only to find the restaurant closed with a sign on the door stating to see them at booth 51 at the Creole Tomato Festival. We agreed to the $25 charge for a no show - how much is the restaurant charged for their no show!Special Features:
- Great placeMargieDined on 5/31/2014Warm, inviting atmosphere. Great food & lovely staff. A highlight of our trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeggyVIPDined on 5/30/2014Had the hamburger with fried egg on top.....YUM! Will definitely order that again....chef Roseann has worked her magic again....and Michael is the sweetest waiter in NO. Thanks for another great dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian Brunch!MichelleVIPDined on 5/25/2014This was a great brunch find. We had "The Mark" and it was delicious!Special Features:
- Local FindOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/25/2014So glad friends in our building recommended this great restaurant and we decided to walk a different way to the quarters. The food was outstandingSpecial Features:
- Pretty Cool007JDDined on 5/25/2014I have no complaints at all, the food was great, the service was great as well, the only issue, and it's minor is parking. However being in the CBD parking is always at a premium.Special Features:
- Graduation Dinner SuccessFoodiefun91VIPDined on 5/17/2014Decided to make our second time at Red Gravy a dinner experience, after a wonderful brunch. The service is great and Rosanne is a hoot! Really knows her food well. Their charcuterie selection is diverse and of wonderful quality. Also, one of the best Osso Buccos I've ever had...don't forget to eat the marrowSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special dietsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014I went to Red Gravy for a family dinner and had a wonderful time! Not only was all the food, especially the house made pasta, amazing but everyone in my party was able to find something. I'm a vegetarian and my sister is gluten free but neither of us were lacking in great food! The staff was extremely helpful and accommodating. We'll definetly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.