Red Ginger of Traverse City
237 East Front St
Traverse City, MI 49684Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Red Ginger of Traverse City
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eatatginger.com/
- Phone: 2319441733
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Monday through Saturday from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in our lounge, Sushi bar and main bar.
Dinner: Monday through Thursday from 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Friday and Saturdays from 5:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian
- Executive Chef: Dan Marsh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For more information on making your next special occasion a Red Ginger affair, please contact our Private Events coordinator Ashley Coats at (231) 883-7337 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Special Events: Let us extend our party-planning expertise to make your event one that people will remember forever. We offer customized packages built around your individual taste and personal touches. Our goal is to relieve you of the many details that go along with hosting a successful party so that you can enjoy the experience as much as each of your guests.
A word from Red Ginger of Traverse City
Red Ginger is more than just a place to eat. It is an elevated entertainment experience! There is energy in Red Ginger’s dining room unlike any other location in Northern Michigan. The lively design and metropolitan atmosphere will transport you. Our exceptionally talented and welcoming staff will remind you that you are as close to home as you will ever be.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Red Ginger of Traverse City - Best Restaurants in Traverse City ›
Red Ginger of Traverse City reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (55)special occasion (49)hot spot (48)vibrant bar scene (32)neighborhood gem (30)romantic (20)notable wine list (20)good for groups (19)late-night find (11)scenic view (7)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Red Ginger is OutstandingmmknightDined on 9/27/2014Red Ginger is consistently a great restaurant. Outstanding food and service. It is a bit expensive but high in value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traverse City Gem!BrendaKDined on 9/27/2014I booked a reservation for my husband and I to celebrate my birthday while in Traverse City this past weekend based on Red Ginger's rating of 6th place on Trip Advisor's website. We were not disappointed! First, when we arrived at our table, there was a birthday card for me signed by all of the staff, which was a nice nice touch! The wait staff also knew that it was my birthday and greeted me with birthday wishes. The sushi, appetizers, and entrees were all wonderful! And we enjoyed sitting in a booth right near the kitchen watching the chefs preparing the dishes. I was also surprised to receive a delicious muffin-size brownie with ice cream presented artfully for desert as a complimentary birthday treat!Special Features:
- Great for GF/DF selectionsMichiganMarthaDined on 9/27/2014Trying to eat gluten and dairy free is challenging, especially when dining out. This is my go-to restaurant for great food and no worries. Even dessert! Fabulous pomegranate cosmo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DGaudDined on 9/26/2014red Ginger is a great spot to enjoy asian fusion food. Service is great, prices are OK and it is always enjoyable.Special Features:
- DisappointedtracygooDined on 9/26/2014Made a reservation for a romantic table weeks prior to visit. We were sat in the middle of the isle, hardly private or romantic. I realize the place isn't known for romantic tables. But there are plenty of tables that would've fit the bill. After sitting there for a short while we asked to be moved and we were moved to another table not directly in Isle but still a busy area. Food was good, but when we moved we changed servers and the 2nd server was just "OK" compared to the 1st server. All in all disappointed that they would reserve you a table in the busiest area when asked for romantic table. It wouldnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Management did come over to apologize but that didn't mean much to us at that point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprising gem in TCsharonybDined on 9/20/2014Great food, waitstaff ambience ! We'll definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forbidden riceRountreeDined on 9/19/2014One of the specials that night was a Forbidden Rice small plate. So yummy. I would order that again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best dining experiences!LForsythDined on 9/19/2014My husband and I were new to Red Ginger, and will definitely be back the next time in Traverse City. By far, this was a stand out of our best dining experiences. The calamari was excellent, along with the thai curry. We rarely order dessert, but the green tea cheesecake sounded too interesting to pass. It was just enough to have a taste for both of us, and was a great way to end dinner.Special Features:
- Red Ginger TCLBMJEMDined on 9/15/2014The restaurant was highly touted by locals and guide books. Were it in a major city it wouldn't survive. Maybe it was an "off" night for the chef. The noise level was unbearable , even the wait staff was having trouble hearing. Nothing really stood out. I suppose for a resort town, it was the best they have.Special Features:
- Great Place!MaeganDined on 9/13/2014The food and service is absolutely amazing. I cannot stop craving the Thai Curry. I highly recommend this place to anyone, for special occasions or even just as a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Celebratory Dinner!MadisonFoodieDined on 9/8/2014You can't go wrong with this restaurant. Service is excellent and fast, even on a busy night. Sushi was some of the best I've ever had. The atmosphere is cool - swanky, the place to be. The staff made it a special birthday evening, topped off with an incredible dessert with a candle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great night-great food-great datetkmkDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I described to our waitress the wine and food we liked she in turn recommended a great red wine, and two excellent entrees.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank You Red GingerAmyandChuckDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I dined at Red Ginger last Saturday night (9/6/14) - it was our wedding anniversary! There are many reasons Red Ginger is our favorite restaurant here in Traverse City; the food, service, ambiance, and location! They are by far, our go-to place when celebrating special occasions! We were so sad to hear of the structural issues that closed Red Ginger back in May - but ecstatic that they were able to reopen so quickly. We would highly recommend Red Ginger to all locals and visitors - you will NEVER get a bad meal there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpensiveTCdinerDined on 9/2/2014Choices were somewhat limited and no soups available, prices very high, maybe too high for the value of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedStellabeeDined on 8/30/2014I have been told by a few people this is a great restaurant and was excited to eat here with friends. Unfortunately we were all very disappointed. The sushi, especially, Chef Dan's roll, was not at all as described and not in a good way (my friend described it as tasting like bologna). Overall our feeling was the price to value ratio just didn't exist. This restaurant with its prices and quality of food would not stay in business in a bigger city with more than a few "fine dining" options. The Kung Pao shrimp is not even remotely authentic and mostly consisted of undercooked carrots. The Indian curry was too sweet to eat. If you are familiar with authentic Asian cooking and have a discerning palette do not waste your time and money.Special Features:
- Unique experiencePattyDined on 8/27/2014We live in the Traverse City area, but we always send our guests to The Red Ginger or tell people about it when they want recommendations. It is sophisticated, fun, and although it has an Asian influence, has a unique menu. The noise level is very high, but there is also high energy abound. The small plates are super, except for the chicken thing that tasted like bad Buffalo Wings. Everything else was wonderful. My favorite thing to do here is to come for Happy Hour, order one of the wonderful Martinis--the lemongrass and the cucumber being my favorites, and ordering either some sushi or small plates, sitting in the bar area, shouting at my companions, and having fun.Special Features:
- DisappointedMikeaaDined on 8/26/2014Nice menu choices. Food well prepared and presented; however, each dish was quite bland tasting. This was surprising for an Asian fusion restaurant.
- SFESFE9Dined on 8/21/2014Always fabulous and never gets old. It's our first stop when we get to town before going to the cottage
- Delicious, creative Asian FusiondinedevoteeDined on 8/20/2014My daughter and I had an excellent dinner here while visiting Traverse City. The ingredients were of extremely high quality, the entree of many complex yet harmonious flavors, presented beautifully. The ambience with subdued lighting and high ceilings was very warm. However, the tables lie in quite close proximity, which resulted in the need to protect our beverage glasses from being knocked off the table by waitstaff several times during the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014I've been there a few times now, and have to say the waitstaff is really pleasant and helpful. The kungpao chicken, Chinese ribs, Thai Caesar salad and chocolate mousse dessert were all delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnarboriteDined on 8/18/2014Beautifully prepared and delicious food served by friendly and knowledgeable staff. We enjoyed everything we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyRattlesnakeDined on 8/16/2014Food good, atmosphere loud and busy. Good for groups, but not for intimate affairs.Special Features:
- Awesome, as usualBhawks13VIPDined on 8/15/2014Dinner with 4 friends. Terrific service and food as always. It's why we keep coming back. Glad they reopened and accommodated all 6 of us on an otherwise booked solid Friday.Special Features:
- great food, great serviceupnorthdinerDined on 8/14/2014I took 2 friends with me and we had a great time. The food was very tasty and enough to take home for yummy leftovers. I had been here for restaurant week and enjoyed it, and I was not let down this time. It was expensive, but we all enjoyed our dinner and my guests said they couldn't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding4MifoodiesDined on 8/11/2014Food and service was excellent! Enjoyed the sushi...very unique combinations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ENSSDined on 8/9/2014Always excellent food every time! Did a fantastic job making us feel special without going over the top and making us uncomfortable as we celebrated our anniversary.Special Features:
- Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014We were treated very well for our anniversary dinner. The food, wine and service were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/8/2014The food was great and service was exceptional. A must place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST FOOD IN TOWNSpartangirl2020Dined on 8/8/2014Red Ginger's staff is incredible. They bend over backwards to make oders just right and pay diligent attention to deals in order to make your experience one for the record books. The food is outstanding and the environment the perfect mixture of warm and edgy. If you go to Traverse City, you simply MUST go to Red Ginger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014We had a wonderful time celebrating my husband's birthday. We had reservations and we're seated promptly. Our servers were friendly and efficient. The food is consistently delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatsyVIPDined on 8/8/2014Love it, one of our favorites!! Best cocktails and food, well trained staff .Special Features:
- Loved itMrzRamseyDined on 8/7/2014Food was awesome and so was the service. We had the Beef Shaking and Sea Bass both were tremendous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Asian FusionVailDined on 8/4/2014The food is great Asian fusion- fresh, interesting spices, varied menu. The dual server approach for each table makes for very good service. The only negative is the closeness of the tables and the sound level. It is more than energetic (your rating comment) -- it's just very loud. The wait staff is super, but the front maitre d' station is always disorganized and when we were at the restaurant this time, there were 4 people stationed there all looking at the computer seating chart with no one even saying hello when we entered. Despite that, we keep going back. The restaurant really ought to address the maitre d' station.Special Features:
- Excellent meal and serviceMichiganderDined on 8/2/2014We try to eat at Red Ginger whenever we're in Traverse City for the annual film festival, and we enjoyed a lovely dinner there between films last Saturday evening. We shared a couple of sushi rolls and an appetizer (among many tempting options). The food was excellent, the service was friendly and efficient, and as always we enjoyed the whole experience very much. It feels lively and fun, yet (happily) the acoustics allowed us to converse in a normal tone of voice without straining to hear each other. It was also a convenient location near our movies at the State and Bijou Theatres, Red Ginger has been a consistently excellent restaurant during our annual vacations in TC and we look forward to more meals there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Verry Good Food.JayMDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I had a great time, the food was great, the service matched, and the drinks just as good. I will return in the future with my wife and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DHofGlenArborDined on 8/1/2014Good service and fine Asian fusion food beautifully presented.Special Features:
- Martini selection is awesome!SpartanGirl11Dined on 8/1/2014Red Ginger is the place to be- very busy bar scene with good people watching on Front Street. Food is great - tad pricey for the amount but great if you are looking for small plates or an appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- #1 Restaurant in TraverseCitylucyDined on 7/31/2014Best restaurant in TC! Dine there at least 2x a month. Staff is very professional and accommodating. Outside dining is great and beautiful view of lake. Extraordinary chef and we've never been disappointed with a meal! Small plates are a great way to experience different entrees and if you're a female, they won't over fill you as an entrée sometimes will. If I get the small plates, I always combine with a great salad or unbelievably extraordinary soup!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014The staff was so knowledgeable on everything. Food was well presented and spactacular. Every feature and fixture of the meal was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They're back!TCNonieDined on 7/25/2014Red Ginger has reopened and they're as good as ever! Halibut special was delicious. Great to see the 'regular' servers and meet a new server in training. See you later this week for dinner before a movie during the 10th annual TCFF!Special Features:
- The following 517 reviews are from the Red Ginger of Traverse City reviews archive.