Red Ginger of Traverse City
237 East Front St
Traverse City, MI 49684Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Red Ginger of Traverse City
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eatatginger.com/
- Phone: 2319441733
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Monday through Saturday from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in our lounge, Sushi bar and main bar.
Dinner: Monday through Thursday from 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Friday and Saturdays from 5:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian
- Executive Chef: Dan Marsh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For more information on making your next special occasion a Red Ginger affair, please contact our Private Events coordinator Ashley Coats at (231) 883-7337 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Special Events: Let us extend our party-planning expertise to make your event one that people will remember forever. We offer customized packages built around your individual taste and personal touches. Our goal is to relieve you of the many details that go along with hosting a successful party so that you can enjoy the experience as much as each of your guests.
A word from Red Ginger of Traverse City
Red Ginger is more than just a place to eat. It is an elevated entertainment experience! There is energy in Red Ginger’s dining room unlike any other location in Northern Michigan. The lively design and metropolitan atmosphere will transport you. Our exceptionally talented and welcoming staff will remind you that you are as close to home as you will ever be.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Red Ginger of Traverse City - Best Restaurants in Traverse City ›
Red Ginger of Traverse City reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (77)hot spot (65)special occasion (63)vibrant bar scene (44)neighborhood gem (41)romantic (31)notable wine list (30)good for groups (29)late-night find (15)great for lunch (10)scenic view (8)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Tuesday NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Excellent sushi as well as other fare. The calamari is very different and well worth a try. Very complete Sake list and well educated waiter. The ambiance although was very nice and well lighted it didn't lend itself to DATE night. The service was above reproach as we were assigned two waiters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Everything was great - from food to service! Requested a special table and they gave it to us. Would highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- GirlsweekendDined on 10/24/2014Awesome place and food! Great staff. Tenderloin was perfect and wing appetizers were delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always top notchJen19Dined on 10/18/2014My husband is a chef and this is one resturant that never disappoints. Food is always wonderful, best sushi ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in TCClaireDined on 10/13/2014This is our "go-to" restaurant in TC when friends are visiting or we are just in the mood to splurge on a good meal. Excellent food and service, always interesting and incredibly tasty specials and small plates. Lively atmosphere with attentive service.Special Features:
- ExtraordinaryumamiDined on 10/13/2014Traverse City's Front Street is a mecca for dining. The scene puts me in mind of Old Town in Chicago back in the day. The menu is Asian including India, Korea, China and Japan. We were celebrating a birthday and the honoree received a card and a yummy tasting dessert. We pigged out on Sushi and Small plates (the best Calamari I ever had). I recommend the Chef's Signature Sushi, a marvel in taste. Our Server was friendly, patient and attentive. The combination of tastes, textures, ambiance and smells achieve Umami filling one's desire for satisfaction at a higher level. I highly recommed the Red Ginger. You do need reservations.Special Features:
- VIETNAMESE CARAMEL CHICKEN!!!!!ma23qtzDined on 10/11/2014Thank you Red Ginger for honoring our request to offer this AMAZING dish as a special while we were visiting Traverse City!!!! It was discovered a year ago when we were there and now we have dreams about it!!! This time it was even updated and improved upon (which I didn't even think was possible!) Red Ginger is as much a reason to come to Traverse City as is visiting our daughter at Interlochen! Always perfection from the food to the service, we are constantly impressed and never ever disappointed :).Special Features:
- A Stellar FindWildBillDined on 10/11/2014Incredible food & service. Something for everyone from a "true foodie" to someone who simply likes great Asian cuisine. I've been to Red Ginger numerous times, I have never been disappointed by the food or service. The specials almost always offer a new twist. Wine list is good. While the noise level adds to the energy of Red Ginger, it is sometimes simply too loud.Special Features:
- FantasticAlBeFreeDined on 10/10/2014My wife and I recently celebrated our anniversary at Red Ginger and were very pleased with the entire experience. Steven and his staff took excellent care of us, and they all signed a card that was at our waiting table upon arrival. In addition to the perfect service and outstanding food (lobster tempura roll and green thai curry were two of our favorites) and beverage selections, my wife was also very happy with the chocolate anniversary dessert. Any time that we visit the TC area, we will make sure to stop at Red Ginger for a fantastic experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Find!GaryKVIPDined on 10/10/2014During Fall color-change, decided to try this newer (8 year-old) restaurant in downtown TC. Couldn't have been happier! First, reservations are a must. The people behind us when we entered didn't have a reservation for this Friday night, and were told it was probably a 90 minute to 2 hour wait. We got in with a very short 10 minute wait, which we enjoyed at the crowded but friendly bar. Once seated, the service was excellent...attentive, but not intruding or overbearing. Appetizers were the kale/quinoa salad and the Dragon Wings, both excellent. Dinners were the Vietnamese Shaking Beef (incredible!). An absolute must-find when in the TC area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food - one of the best!HappyDinerDined on 10/10/2014Love this place. Put on your must eat place. Great and friendly staff. Great bar scene also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy SushiYumAllTheTimeDined on 10/8/2014Date night brought us here. Great, fresh sushi. Very good drinks. Would return to this place for yummy sushi.Special Features:
- dinwiddiedinwiddieVIPDined on 10/7/2014I am from the east coast so I don't normally expect great sushi in what for me is a very small city. However, Red Ginger (is that an oxymoron?) provides a meal that was as good as many that I have had at highly rated sushi restaurants in NYC, SF, and DC. Very fresh, innovative, and well presented. Service was very good and friendly. The pot of tea to end the meal was a treat. Loved it.Special Features:
- First rate!callDined on 10/7/2014Great attention is paid to all details. Fresh & delicious food. Wait staff is also very good. Terrific for lunch & dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyable!BrunchfanVIPDined on 10/3/2014We always stop in when in TC and this time was no different. The beef Ishiaki was fun and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Ginger is OutstandingmmknightDined on 9/27/2014Red Ginger is consistently a great restaurant. Outstanding food and service. It is a bit expensive but high in value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traverse City Gem!BrendaKDined on 9/27/2014I booked a reservation for my husband and I to celebrate my birthday while in Traverse City this past weekend based on Red Ginger's rating of 6th place on Trip Advisor's website. We were not disappointed! First, when we arrived at our table, there was a birthday card for me signed by all of the staff, which was a nice nice touch! The wait staff also knew that it was my birthday and greeted me with birthday wishes. The sushi, appetizers, and entrees were all wonderful! And we enjoyed sitting in a booth right near the kitchen watching the chefs preparing the dishes. I was also surprised to receive a delicious muffin-size brownie with ice cream presented artfully for desert as a complimentary birthday treat!Special Features:
- Great for GF/DF selectionsMichiganMarthaDined on 9/27/2014Trying to eat gluten and dairy free is challenging, especially when dining out. This is my go-to restaurant for great food and no worries. Even dessert! Fabulous pomegranate cosmo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DGaudDined on 9/26/2014red Ginger is a great spot to enjoy asian fusion food. Service is great, prices are OK and it is always enjoyable.Special Features:
- DisappointedtracygooDined on 9/26/2014Made a reservation for a romantic table weeks prior to visit. We were sat in the middle of the isle, hardly private or romantic. I realize the place isn't known for romantic tables. But there are plenty of tables that would've fit the bill. After sitting there for a short while we asked to be moved and we were moved to another table not directly in Isle but still a busy area. Food was good, but when we moved we changed servers and the 2nd server was just "OK" compared to the 1st server. All in all disappointed that they would reserve you a table in the busiest area when asked for romantic table. It wouldnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Management did come over to apologize but that didn't mean much to us at that point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Asian food - thanks!WandererVIPDined on 9/22/2014After being told that northern Michigan doesn't have good places for Asian food, we discovered Red Ginger! The ambiance and decor were great, a fun and vibrant atmosphere. The menu was varied and extensive, too much to take in on one visit ... plus the wine list was impressive. After selecting a great bottle of wine, we decided on our usual Asian experience, sashimi and rolls. A great meal - the sashimi was fresh and tender, the rolls varied and more than just a lot of rice, although we have experienced (both in Japan and the US) rolls that are more flavorful. We will be back to try some of the other offerings on the menu, especially the thai green chicken curry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprising gem in TCsharonybDined on 9/20/2014Great food, waitstaff ambience ! We'll definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forbidden riceRountreeDined on 9/19/2014One of the specials that night was a Forbidden Rice small plate. So yummy. I would order that again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best dining experiences!LForsythDined on 9/19/2014My husband and I were new to Red Ginger, and will definitely be back the next time in Traverse City. By far, this was a stand out of our best dining experiences. The calamari was excellent, along with the thai curry. We rarely order dessert, but the green tea cheesecake sounded too interesting to pass. It was just enough to have a taste for both of us, and was a great way to end dinner.Special Features:
- Red Ginger TCLBMJEMDined on 9/15/2014The restaurant was highly touted by locals and guide books. Were it in a major city it wouldn't survive. Maybe it was an "off" night for the chef. The noise level was unbearable , even the wait staff was having trouble hearing. Nothing really stood out. I suppose for a resort town, it was the best they have.Special Features:
- Great Place!MaeganDined on 9/13/2014The food and service is absolutely amazing. I cannot stop craving the Thai Curry. I highly recommend this place to anyone, for special occasions or even just as a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Celebratory Dinner!MadisonFoodieDined on 9/8/2014You can't go wrong with this restaurant. Service is excellent and fast, even on a busy night. Sushi was some of the best I've ever had. The atmosphere is cool - swanky, the place to be. The staff made it a special birthday evening, topped off with an incredible dessert with a candle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great night-great food-great datetkmkDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I described to our waitress the wine and food we liked she in turn recommended a great red wine, and two excellent entrees.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank You Red GingerAmyandChuckDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I dined at Red Ginger last Saturday night (9/6/14) - it was our wedding anniversary! There are many reasons Red Ginger is our favorite restaurant here in Traverse City; the food, service, ambiance, and location! They are by far, our go-to place when celebrating special occasions! We were so sad to hear of the structural issues that closed Red Ginger back in May - but ecstatic that they were able to reopen so quickly. We would highly recommend Red Ginger to all locals and visitors - you will NEVER get a bad meal there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpensiveTCdinerDined on 9/2/2014Choices were somewhat limited and no soups available, prices very high, maybe too high for the value of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedStellabeeVIPDined on 8/30/2014I have been told by a few people this is a great restaurant and was excited to eat here with friends. Unfortunately we were all very disappointed. The sushi, especially, Chef Dan's roll, was not at all as described and not in a good way (my friend described it as tasting like bologna). Overall our feeling was the price to value ratio just didn't exist. This restaurant with its prices and quality of food would not stay in business in a bigger city with more than a few "fine dining" options. The Kung Pao shrimp is not even remotely authentic and mostly consisted of undercooked carrots. The Indian curry was too sweet to eat. If you are familiar with authentic Asian cooking and have a discerning palette do not waste your time and money.Special Features:
- Unique experiencePattyDined on 8/27/2014We live in the Traverse City area, but we always send our guests to The Red Ginger or tell people about it when they want recommendations. It is sophisticated, fun, and although it has an Asian influence, has a unique menu. The noise level is very high, but there is also high energy abound. The small plates are super, except for the chicken thing that tasted like bad Buffalo Wings. Everything else was wonderful. My favorite thing to do here is to come for Happy Hour, order one of the wonderful Martinis--the lemongrass and the cucumber being my favorites, and ordering either some sushi or small plates, sitting in the bar area, shouting at my companions, and having fun.Special Features:
- DisappointedMikeaaDined on 8/26/2014Nice menu choices. Food well prepared and presented; however, each dish was quite bland tasting. This was surprising for an Asian fusion restaurant.
- SFESFE9Dined on 8/21/2014Always fabulous and never gets old. It's our first stop when we get to town before going to the cottage
- Delicious, creative Asian FusiondinedevoteeDined on 8/20/2014My daughter and I had an excellent dinner here while visiting Traverse City. The ingredients were of extremely high quality, the entree of many complex yet harmonious flavors, presented beautifully. The ambience with subdued lighting and high ceilings was very warm. However, the tables lie in quite close proximity, which resulted in the need to protect our beverage glasses from being knocked off the table by waitstaff several times during the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014I've been there a few times now, and have to say the waitstaff is really pleasant and helpful. The kungpao chicken, Chinese ribs, Thai Caesar salad and chocolate mousse dessert were all delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnarboriteDined on 8/18/2014Beautifully prepared and delicious food served by friendly and knowledgeable staff. We enjoyed everything we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyRattlesnakeDined on 8/16/2014Food good, atmosphere loud and busy. Good for groups, but not for intimate affairs.Special Features:
- Awesome, as usualBhawks13VIPDined on 8/15/2014Dinner with 4 friends. Terrific service and food as always. It's why we keep coming back. Glad they reopened and accommodated all 6 of us on an otherwise booked solid Friday.Special Features:
- great food, great serviceupnorthdinerDined on 8/14/2014I took 2 friends with me and we had a great time. The food was very tasty and enough to take home for yummy leftovers. I had been here for restaurant week and enjoyed it, and I was not let down this time. It was expensive, but we all enjoyed our dinner and my guests said they couldn't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.