Red Ginger Japanese Grill Sushi and Bar
401 South Tryon, Suite 130
Charlotte, NC 28202Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Red Ginger Japanese Grill Sushi and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.redgingercharlotte.com/
- Phone: 9808198837x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am-10:00pm, Friday: 11:00am-11:00pm, Saturday: 4:00 pm-11:00pm, Sunday: closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steakhouse, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Red Ginger Japanese Grill Sushi and Bar
Our mission is to create harmony in visual, aroma and quality to honor our culinary ethics and accompanied with our knowledgeable staff to assist you in a clean modern atmosphere to complete your journey through out your dinning experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Ginger Japanese Grill Sushi and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (19)special occasion (9)great for lunch (8)fit for foodies (6)neighborhood gem (6)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)romantic (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Not BadUnexpectedDined on 9/5/2014Overall the experience was pretty good. The location is great for uptown Charlotte exploration. The valet parking is a PLUS!Special Features:
- Food was great, service was slowLuLuDined on 8/5/2014We had to wait 15 minutes at our table before someone came over to take our drink order. Once we did receive our drinks and our meal, the food was very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Hibachi and Sushi PlaceSCsFoodyLouDined on 7/28/2014I come here all the time for lunch for business - satisfied every time. If you love sushi, this is the place.Special Features:
- JUST SO SOLUV2DINE2Dined on 7/26/2014My best friend and I visited this restaurant during restaurant week. Looking in from the outside we were very excited about trying this place. I would have to say its nothing special. The food was nothing to write home about, you could go to Nakatos or Kabutos and get the same if not better. Drinks were a good price but very weak.Special Features:
- Food was good but poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We went for Charlotte Restaurant week and enjoyed the food but the overall experience and the service was poor. We were seated on time for our reservation but after an hour of being at the table we got our first course. Some of us were having habachi and some just sushi but nothing came out together. Everyone was eating at different times. The restaurant was extremely hot and our server was very slow to get us what we needed after we had to ask for it. The waitstaff and the person who seemed to be the manager actually were very unprofessional and it seemed the restaurant was run by incompitent people.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014We went for resturant week. The service was slow it took 30 minutes for us get a glass of wine. The food was ok.
- Poor Customer ServicejerikamDined on 7/25/2014We went here during Restaurant week and had heard great things about this place. It took them 30 mins to even serve appetizers and we waited over an hour for our dessert and to - go box. For the money we spent we notified the manager of the poor service and we simply got a "Sorry." I was disappointed to say the least because I had heard so many great things about them.Special Features:
- Worst Experience EverNellDined on 7/25/2014Came here for my mom's 50th birthday and it was the worst experience ever. Manger/ Owner could care less about our feelings and what or how we felt. The worst service EVER. Had to continue to ask for stuff repeatedly. When we asked the waitress would just look at us like she didn't understand or want to help. Asked Manger to come to table and no one ever came. The fasted service we received was once we paid and she brought our credit cards back. WILL NEVER RETURN!!!!!!
- Absolutely AwfulGreyPouPonDined on 7/24/2014Restaurant Week selections mediocre. Ended up ordering off main menu. Rice,Vegetables, and Noodles soaked in Saki and Soy Sauce. Chef added way too much garlic to each dish - burped garlic 36 hours straight! Chicken undercooked. Steak extremely fatty. Salmon ok. Shrimp overcooked. Saw waitress 1 time after soup and salad was brought out- to give check and offer a box. The cherry on top was the 3 roaches in the restroom. At least their grade came up from the 89.9 it was last year.
- Great place to eatdennisDined on 7/22/2014Setting is great, food is great, service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not worth the moneyRdavieDined on 7/19/2014I have been to several asian cusine resturants and this was by far the worse. None of the food was impressive for the price we paid for dinner. I have had better hibachi at at whole in the wall place in another part of the city. Dont waist your time.
- Fresh and delicious flavorsEilsel722Dined on 7/12/2014Extensive menu, somewhat pricey but to be expected in the downtown locale. Was SO worth it considering the large portions and amazing execution of each menu item (from ginger dressing and miso soup starters, to the shrimp tempura and teriyaki chicken skewers, and even the fried rice and dumplings.)Downtown suprisingly convenient, within walking distance of our concert venue at Time Warner Arena. Main complaint was being unable to take advantage of complimentary valet service, as street address reads Tryon Street (location is actually closer to College Ave) so just used a public lot instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/23/2014I have eaten there twice. The food is really good and watching them prepare the food is entertaining. I will definitely recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:
- TerribleOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/12/2014This is a generic asian style restaurant. I would not recommend this establishment if you have had real sushi or asian food. The service was terrible, the food was bland and uninteresting. I would never bother to go back.
- Good foodWorldDined on 6/11/2014Nice ambiance, and good food. Been a couple times and I would recommend this place to anyone that likes hibachi.Special Features:
- luv2eatDined on 6/11/2014The food was great! We had a large party everyone enjoyed themselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 63 reviews are from the Red Ginger Japanese Grill Sushi and Bar reviews archive.
- holiday help needed.aenupe85Dined on 5/23/2014The service was a bit slow due to the street festival and all of the visitors in town. It appeared that they needed more staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst sushi in CharlottelovegoodfoodVIPDined on 5/23/2014Just got back from Red Ginger for my son's birthday dinner. We had the worst sushi of ANY place we have been in Charlotte - bland and completely tasteless (except for one roll where we crunched into a gigantic piece of jalapeño and that was the only flavor in the entire roll). Soup was inedible; salads were swimming in goopy dressing; sashimi plate was tolerable except for one piece of fish (not even sure what it was) that was so gristly that it literally could not be chewed. Service was confused and haphazard at best. Our soup, salad and appetizer plates were still on the table when the entrees came so we just had to stack them to make room - where they stayed until we asked that they be cleared. So disappointing all the way around.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/21/2014Sushi came quickly and was good. I really like that they had multiple habachi tables - which would be a great dinner with friends - didn't even know that was available downtown. Service was a little jumbled but attentive. We were able to get in and out quickly and they had no trouble with splitting the check, which is key for downtown business lunches.Special Features:
- Good foodCritic247Dined on 5/10/2014First visit at Red Ginger. Well greeted by hostess and waitress!!!! Good food. Chef needed to be more aware of portion distribution among the group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Dayjlj7Dined on 5/8/2014I took my mom there for mothers day and the service was great as well as the food. No complaints!Special Features:
- Great Uptown Date NightMikeDined on 5/4/2014This place is great of looking for a laid back date night in the city. You still have the city feel but not all the rush as it's somewhat tucked away. Overall I loved this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ServiceSRussellVIPDined on 4/25/2014Went to the restaurant with an 8:00pm reservation and was told we would be sat in 10 mins at the Hibachi Grill, so we sat at the bar. After 30 minutes I inquired about a table again and they sat us at a regular table. They finally got a drink order, but never came back to get our appetizer order. I told the hostess, I was 6 months pregnant and really needed something to eat and asked if they could get our appetizer order. She told me to "be patient and someone would be over to get our order." At 9:15, we finally just walked out of the restaurant. I'm not one for negative reviews, but couldn't believe the poor customer service.
- Group of 18 and the table is yourspl60sVIPDined on 4/5/2014This is a perfect spot for large groups and the chefs are outstanding! If you have a group of 18 you would have the entire table, 2 cooking areas, to yourself and feel free to yell across the table. Had a blast.Special Features:
- Too many stock outsDrschafesVIPDined on 4/2/2014While the quality of what we ate was quite good, the number of out of stock sushi items was troubling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great group setting. LotsSpartyPartyDined on 3/27/2014Great group setting. Lots of free sake from the hibachi chef who was hilarious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun NightDentalguruDined on 3/21/2014A very nice evening. We had a large group to entertain and this exceeded our expectations.Special Features:
- LunchAshleyDined on 3/17/2014Great lunch, service and timliness was much better. They fill up pretty quickly, so I definitely recommend making a reservation. The lunch hibachi is always on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Group Enjoyed ItJustVistingDined on 3/15/2014We were looking for a last minute spot for a 10-person group and they were happy to accommodate us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and fun at red gingerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014My gilfriend and I were in the mood for hibachi our last night in charlotte. We saw some reviews for Red Ginger in uptown so we decided to try it. We were glad we did because we had a great experience. The food was amazing and the hibachi chef was not only amazing at working the grill but was hilarious as well. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperienceGroupDined on 3/12/2014This restaurant is very good for a dining experience. The cooks will dazzle you with their tricks and you will forget the wait for your food. Since they do cook in front of you, it is very neat to see what goes into your food and there are no surprises when you get it on your plate. The food is very good and the staff is very friendly!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- monday lunchAshleyDined on 3/10/2014Their food is always great, but our service was pretty sub par. It wasn't really the servers fault, but the kitchen sent out everyones items separately. Those of us that got hibatchi waited about 20 minutes after those who ordered sushi to get our plates. They were good about making sure our water was constantly filled. I have had better experiences here.Special Features:
- Staff was very nice. I especiallylucyDined on 3/7/2014Staff was very nice. I especially enjoyed the cookSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum YumradioezVIPDined on 3/5/2014Been there multiple times... Good food... friendly service... nice mod place. Hibachi excellent... sushi inventive, well done. you can sit at hibachi table, or a regular table and have whatever you want. watch driving the wrong way down the one way street looking for it... comp valet across street at Mimosa Grill if needed... Should be more people there... wassup with that?Special Features:
- Hibachi anyone??NitaDined on 2/21/2014My friends wanted to go here for lunch & I was so against smelling like a hibachi grill after lunch. I'm glad we went!! The food was fresh & delicious. In addition, the chef was pretty entertaining!! I'm thinking we should go back soon. The seafood options were great and fried rice off the grill was yummy. And it was in my budget to boot.:-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodCarlyVIPDined on 2/20/2014Excellent hibachi and sushi in a convenient uptown location. Good for lunch if you work south of trade street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!!!MG71Dined on 2/14/2014Food was great...service was ok- although it was valentines day, so we expected some delays. Overall very happy with our first visit and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Food was fine. Typical Japanese Hibachi fair. Nice atmosphere and convenient to uptown venues. Service was VERY slow. Could not get a drink, only saw waiter a couple of times and even then he could not deliver drinks. Food came out on time but bar tender was obviously backed up. Had to cancel last drink order and ask for the check.Special Features:
- Good Food, Disappointing ServiceJacksonDined on 2/14/2014We eat here a few times a month. Sadly the last three times (or more); service has been horrible. We sometimes get more service from a busser or water filler than our waitress. Waitress is always hard to find and usually forgets what we wanted or messes items up. We are usually at restaurant about 15-20 minutes longer than we need to be. Which is surprising; since you would think that they would want to "flip" customers. Music has been a little loud; not horrible but a little to loud for my liking on certain nights. Valet after 6pm is great. Food is usually good. Soup is very peppery. Wish it had no pepper or little.Special Features:
- Great foodCarlyVIPDined on 2/8/2014Red Ginger has outstanding sushi and hibachi. The hibachi is a fun show, and we enjoy coming back. Favorites - M16 Roll, Angry Bird Roll, Chicken & Avocado App, and any Hibachi.Special Features: