Red Fox Inn
2 E. Washington St
Middleburg, VA 20117Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Red Fox Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redfox.com/
- Phone: 5406876301x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 8:00am - 10:30am (Not available for online reservations) Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm , Sunday: 4:30pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Engle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: The Red Fox Inn offers off-site catering to locations throughout Northern Virginia and Loudoun County. Please contact our Events Department for menus and pricing.
- Entertainment: Seasonal entertainment on the Garden Terrace
- Special Events: Occupying the second floor of the Inn, our private event space is comprised of four distinct private dining rooms and a large garden terrace. Original heart pine floors and paneling, working fireplaces, and walls adorned with sporting art set the tone for elegant group dining experiences. Our private event spaces can accommodate both social and corporate groups large or small for seated dinners, buffets, and cocktail receptions. The Inn is a prime location for intimate wedding ceremonies, elegant receptions, festive rehearsal dinners, unique corporate events and memorable dinner parties. Whatever the occasion, our Events Team will customize our property to best suit your needs; from custom linens and place settings to elegant floral arrangements and pole-tents, the choice is yours and the possibilities are endless.
- Cross Street: Madison
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Complimentary parking for restaurant guests is available in our private gravel lot off of Madison Street located behind the Red Fox Inn. Street parking is available at town meters 9:00 am – 5:00pm Monday-Saturday and is free after 5:00pm and all day on Sunday.
A word from Red Fox Inn
Established in 1728, our historic tavern welcomes Middleburg locals and travelers alike to enjoy hearty breakfasts, casual lunches and intimate candlelight dinners in the traditional Virginia style. Oak tables, handcrafted furnishings, stone fireplaces, hand-hewn ceiling beams and thick fieldstone walls create an intimate dining atmosphere any time of day. Our culinary team creates seasonal menus using ingredients indigenous to both Virginia and the South prepared with the time honored cooking techniques of smoking, braising, and roasting. The Tavern’s home-style dishes are simple yet genuine and feature many local ingredients sourced from area farms. The wine list boasts a diverse selection of domestic and imported vintages and show¬cases many wines from Virginia vineyards while the beer list features a rotating selection of craft beers by the bottle. Join us today for a bowl of our famous Virginia Peanut Soup, Southern Fried Chicken, or our signature Crab Cakes!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Fox Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (78)romantic (71)neighborhood gem (59)great for lunch (55)great for brunch (46)fit for foodies (45)great for outdoor dining (43)notable wine list (41)good for groups (21)scenic view (15)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- AmazingDarkDropperDined on 8/31/2014The food was amazing, the drink was incredible, the atmosphere was special...but the service stole the show. Everyone, especially our waiter, was fully invested in ensuring my wife and I had a memorable dining experience. It's not everyday we can enjoy a great dining experience in a quaint country inn nestled in the rustic hills of northern VA. The reason we went to Middleburg on our road trip was for that very experience, and we left looking forward to the next time we have a chance to visit.Special Features:
- Fires in the fireplacesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014The only hope I'd have is that, given the cooler weather on the way, you please plan to have fires burning when the fall/winter weather sets in. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014We meet several times a year for lunch with friends we have had for quite a few years. The food is always delicious, and the service perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in townMichaelMDined on 8/29/2014The Red Fox is by far the best restaurant in Middleburg, and as good as any in Fauquier and Loudoun counties. The Reuters are doing an outstanding job!Special Features:
- LovelyHappy2dineDined on 8/25/2014Ambience, service and food very good. The dining room was a little noisy that made conversation difficult at times. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Broken teeth from foodmauckhouseVIPDined on 8/17/2014My husband and I were looking forward to spending time together and also hired a babysitter to watch our young children so we could have a nice brunch out at the Red Fox Inn. My husband had ordered the Sausage Gravy and after the second bite he bit into something extremely hard (probably a bone, but we were unable to inspect as they quickly took the plate away). He was in a lot of pain and his front tooth and bottom teeth were chipped and broken so we had to leave to seek care. A manager took our information but we have not heard back from the restaurant since this happened. Extremely disappointment in the food and service. We've had many meals here before but are unsure about coming back.
- service/foodJoeyDined on 8/11/2014Sara was our waitress, she was very attentive and had a great since of humor. Smoked duck egg rolls night my favorite though, bone in rib-eye was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Outdoor BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014Recently went to the Red Fox Inn with my elderly parents. Perfect experience for Sunday brunch on the patio. Waitstaff was especially attentive and friendly. The food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Iconic Landmark Inn and ResturantAngelDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I live in Leesburg, but travel to Middleburg to eat at the Red Fox Inn for special outings. The inn and tavern restaurant exude a coziness and warmth, in an atmosphere of colonial ambiance and elegance. The staff are exceedingly polite, helpful and engaging, and the food quite appetizing. A list of famous guests includes President John F. Kennedy, Jackie Kennedy Onassis, and Elizabeth Taylor, among others. We love the place and will certainly return and invite friends and family. From Wikipedia: "...The building exhibits design details in the Federal and Colonial Revival styles. It is thought to be one of the oldest continuously operated inns in Virginia as well as the United States."Special Features:
- Very satisfied customers!AmandaAndRyne1Dined on 8/8/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday dinner and was not disappointed at all. Great staff -great service. He got the fried chicken and loved it. I got a perfectly cooked steak. Although we didn't get wine - they have a huge list of wines. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysGroovyDinersDined on 8/8/2014My wife had the peanut soup, again, and The filet mignon, again, and I had the country fried chicken with mac and cheese, shredded brussel sprouts with ham, and a biscuit (yes, that was all 1 meal). It was all fantastic. Red Fox does it right. And by 'it', i mean all their food. Well, the mac and cheese wasn't anything that would bring me back on it's own, but the duck, peanut soup, steaks, biscuits, crab cakes, and breakfast fare (id list more but i haven't had everything on their seasonal menus yet) definitely do.Special Features:
- Great place with great food.benefitsDined on 8/8/2014Have celebrated a birthday and an anniversary at the Red Fox Inn over the past three months. A great combination of exceptionally prepared food, attentive service and the quiet, romantic dining experience to make a special occasion exactly that. Always appreciate the diversity of the menu, offering the standards that the Red Fox is noted for - Crab Cakes, Fried Chicken, Fried Green Tomatoes - with a variety of offerings that change regularly based on their gatherings from the local area farms and the current harvest - heirloom tomatoes, lamb chops, etc. And all prepared to perfection. A great culinary experience in a wonderful atmosphere. One of our favorite spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and findNicoleDined on 8/6/2014We enjoyed the food and ambiance. Excellent wine list and service. Historic bar adds a layer of intrigue to this gem of a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to pleaseCreatesastirVIPDined on 8/4/2014There's a reason the Red Fox Inn has survived nearly 300 years -- outstanding food, attentive service -- and outdoor dining that delighted.Special Features:
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014We hadn't been here in a long time, and it was a surprise for my wife. We loved the scenic drive to and through Middlleburg, and had a delicious meal, terrific server. All in all, a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive barn diningFPLadyDined on 8/3/2014Food was excellent, but VERY pricey. $27 brunch consisted of nice small pastries, a spinach salad with 3 strawberries halved with a bit of cheese, scrambled eggs with processed ham, and a crunchy mashed potato and cheese (which tasted undone) ball and a biscuit which was served with no butter or jam. I asked for jelly and was given two small jelly containers like you get in diners. For this price, I would have expected a nice jam or honey served in a nice dish. At IHOP I could get all this for about $8-$10 or so. The restaurant itself is dark and reminded me of eating in a rustic barn. Anniversary brunch for us. We won't go back. My girlfriend had been there before and she thought the exact same thing. Mimosa another $7,50
- Charming historic innAFLTCDined on 8/3/2014Brunch at The Red Fox was a real treat. The food was excellent and the pastries in particular were memorable. It is in a quaint historic building in a nice area. The noise level was acceptable but it might be a little loud with a fully packed house. It was a truly enjoyable afternoon and we cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rustic and charmingGaryDined on 8/2/2014Ambiance was nice and cozy. Look was very rustic. Caprese salad was phenomenal, Rib eye was fantastic. Wife had the chicken Cordon Blue...she said it was a little salty and just okay. Overall, very pleased....my wife will get the filet next time.Special Features:
- Fantastic place for a mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014Wonderful village made even better by having such a great place to relax over delicious food and fine beverages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a classicJerabaumVIPDined on 7/26/2014love the Peanut soup. A classic set in the historic Red Fox Inn. Wonderful historic Inn from the 1700s. A must when visiting Middleburg, VASpecial Features:
- Remains a ClassicRickDined on 7/26/2014We have been to the Red Fox Inn multiple times over the years. The food remains outstanding as does the setting. We love this place and the town of Middleburg is as charming as it gets.Special Features:
- LhapNotgoodDined on 7/19/2014The restaurant is great for its history. The ambiance is great. As far as food try the wedge; really good. My wife had the salmon dinner which was good. I had the pork schnitzel with spatzle. Unfortuntaly it want that good. It was our anniversary so I didn't want to say anything to damper our happiness. In any case the schnitzel was a joke not even close to the breaded pork you get in Austria (I have eaten there many times). Furthermore the spatzle were hard, not even close to anything you would want to eat. So overall gave it a 3 for ambiance but stay away from the schnitzel...Special Features:
- Our 39th AnniversaryWendelDined on 7/19/2014We have celebrated two anniversaries at the Red Fox. We enjoyed the ambiance of the remarkably old section of the inn and the food was excellent and just plain fun (Chicken Cordon Blue and Lamb Tenderloin). The price is medium high, but you get the value it implies. We will return to Middleburg in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peanut soup after 15 yrsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014Peanut soup was just as good as 15 yrs. yrs ago, wonderful outdoor lunch, will come back next time I travel through townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensive for brunch2eatoutDined on 7/13/2014With the tip, we paid over $80 for brunch. For that I had salad, french toast and bacon, and my husband had soup, eggs, a small potato cake, ham and a dessert. The food was good, but the price was too high. We do love the ambience and have gone to this restaurant in the past mostly for the delicious peanut soup, which they did serve with brunch.Special Features:
- Noisy good foodFishloveDined on 7/12/2014This past Saturday evening we arrived about 6:30. Service was fine, food was good, noise level was atrocious. It was very difficult to converse with a person less than 3 feet away.Special Features:
- Great foodFoodieDined on 7/12/2014Enjoyed staff and quality of food! Lamb sausage was incredible! Brussels sprouts awesome could have just had them and been happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday night in Middleburg, VAStevePDined on 7/12/2014Good atmosphere, great service, friendly management made the evening a pleasant experience. The food selection tends to be on the heavy side, but the combination of atmosphere and service made for an overall outstanding evening. My Wife and I will go back.Special Features:
- Great pastriesTheWhiteLionDined on 7/6/2014Love their Sunday brunch! They have some fantastic pastries--especially the one with pecans. Too bad it's getting a bit hot to sit outside the lovely patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable & filling brunchVDSMDined on 7/6/2014Visiting from Iowa we wanted a true "local" experience. Loved the atmosphere and dined on the garden patio on a gorgeous Sunday morning. a blood-orange mimosa starter for me, then on to crabcakes w/ lemon and salmon salad for appetizers - and flank steak omelets for main course. 16 yr old daughter was stuffed after the crab cakes - and the omelets were gigantic. We could have gotten by splitting one breakfast and been perfectly happy. Pleasant and prompt service - a little pricey but a worthwhile experience!Special Features:
- Great Experience50someIowansDined on 7/5/2014We dined at thenRed Fox based on a recommendation. Our first night of our stay we really enjoyed it. great food. The 2nd night of our stay we had reservations elsewhere and we decided to cancel and go back the Red Fox. We were unable to book online due the restaurant being full. I called and explained we wanted to come back we had enjoyed it so much the first night....they welcomed us back and found a time for us. After a 4 night trip, my husband said his meal At the Red Fox was his favorite......and he is a great cook himself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedlocalcoupleDined on 7/5/2014We chose the Red Fox to celebrate a birthday. Our contacts were with the hostess, waitress and lady tending bar. All were friendly and provided excellent service. The food standout of the evening was the artichoke and crab casserole. The salmon was bland with a slightly sweet taste. The bourbon pecan pie was very good but on the small side. The wine list contained an offering from our favorite town on the Rue de Vin, Alsace, France. That pleased us very much. At $80 - $100 per person, I expected a more upscale experience. I was disillusioned when the majority of the patrons were dressed as if they were dining at a fast food restaurant. It was a pleasant evening but for my $80 - $100, I believe there are better options.Special Features:
- Beautiful & Historic Stone InnOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014The Red Fox Inn is a lovely historic restaurant in Middleburg Virginia. The atmosphere is lovely with stone walls & beamed ceiling. The food and service is great. The filet & crab is especially delicious. This restaurant is a great choice for a romantic dinner or afternoon birthday lunch. It's one of Middleburg's gems & a great place to stop after a day of shopping & wineries in the Middleburg area. They have a very nice wine list as well. If you are in the quaint town The Red Fox Inn is a must do stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun to Bring New Folks to Red FoxcigarmacVIPDined on 7/2/2014I had lunch with a friend from Winchester who had never been to the Red Fox Inn. He thoroughly enjoyed the experience, good food, and great service by Sarah. For me it is always a pleasure to eat here.
- Stay Away. Stay far, far away.DisgustedDined on 6/30/2014When you first enter, everything looks beautiful. Quiet, quaint, really neat place. Server starts out with an amazing greating with the daily features, they even had my favorite beer. Then, my wife, who's pregnant, says "I'll just be drinking water tonight" and the whole thing goes sideways, and in a hurry. The server became noticeably agitated, distant and even a little rude. Beyond that, our meals were absolutely horrendous. Pork schnitzel was like eating jerky topped with sausage and the pepper gravy was more like alfredo sauce. Her filet was dry and stringy and the "crabcake" looked like fried mashed potatoes. The food was so bad I couldn't wait to get the taste out of my mouth. I will definitely not be returning.
- Always Fantastic!BethVIPDined on 6/29/2014I am NEVER disappointed when I go to the Red Fox Inn. Their food and service is outstanding, and I love that they two wine lists--one with a variety of wines and one with only Virginia wines. Of course we always choose a Virginia wine and I am glad to see that Red Fox continues to be such a supporter of local wineries and farmers. I can't say enough good things about this restaurant--everyone needs to take the drive out to Middleburg and try it!Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING ON EVERY LEVELMendiDined on 6/29/2014We decided to have Sunday brunch at The Red Fox Inn to celebrate a birthday. Best. Decision. Ever! The service was outstanding! The food was amazing (the mini crab cakes & shrimp and grits were on another level) and the classic brunch cocktails of mimosas and bloody marys were bumped up a notch with some unique and welcome twists. The attention to detail was what really impressed me the most. Even the restrooms were impeccible...which I can assume is not easy considering the age of this building. I cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was blahBlahDined on 6/27/2014We went to celebrate a special anniversary. The service was fine but the food just average. Nothing special. Also, both of us had stomach aches later that evening.
- 50th AnniversaryRogueDined on 6/27/2014I placed a note on the on-line reservation that it was our 50th wedding anniversary. When we entered they congratulated us and placed us at a nice little corner table. Iris waited on the table and provided suggestions on portion size and followed the serving timing requests nicely. We enjoyed a four course meal with a tasty crab dip, peanut soup, house salad, and a delicious entree of hickory bourbon glazed salmon on a bed of zucchini squash spaghetti and feta cheese grits. The desserts were served with a lighted candle and a happy anniversary comment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/25/2014We had a nice romantic birthday dinner for two. The ambiance was perfect - romantic. The food was great! We had the duck and carb cake/filet. All was outstanding. We stayed at the inn and also had breakfast there in the morning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.