Red Fox Inn
2 E. Washington St
Middleburg, VA 20117Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Red Fox Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redfox.com/
- Phone: 5406876301x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 8:00am - 10:30am (Not available for online reservations) Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm , Sunday: 4:30pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Engle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: The Red Fox Inn offers off-site catering to locations throughout Northern Virginia and Loudoun County. Please contact our Events Department for menus and pricing.
- Entertainment: Seasonal entertainment on the Garden Terrace
- Special Events: Occupying the second floor of the Inn, our private event space is comprised of four distinct private dining rooms and a large garden terrace. Original heart pine floors and paneling, working fireplaces, and walls adorned with sporting art set the tone for elegant group dining experiences. Our private event spaces can accommodate both social and corporate groups large or small for seated dinners, buffets, and cocktail receptions. The Inn is a prime location for intimate wedding ceremonies, elegant receptions, festive rehearsal dinners, unique corporate events and memorable dinner parties. Whatever the occasion, our Events Team will customize our property to best suit your needs; from custom linens and place settings to elegant floral arrangements and pole-tents, the choice is yours and the possibilities are endless.
- Cross Street: Madison
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Complimentary parking for restaurant guests is available in our private gravel lot off of Madison Street located behind the Red Fox Inn. Street parking is available at town meters 9:00 am – 5:00pm Monday-Saturday and is free after 5:00pm and all day on Sunday.
A word from Red Fox Inn
Established in 1728, our historic tavern welcomes Middleburg locals and travelers alike to enjoy hearty breakfasts, casual lunches and intimate candlelight dinners in the traditional Virginia style. Oak tables, handcrafted furnishings, stone fireplaces, hand-hewn ceiling beams and thick fieldstone walls create an intimate dining atmosphere any time of day. Our culinary team creates seasonal menus using ingredients indigenous to both Virginia and the South prepared with the time honored cooking techniques of smoking, braising, and roasting. The Tavern’s home-style dishes are simple yet genuine and feature many local ingredients sourced from area farms. The wine list boasts a diverse selection of domestic and imported vintages and show¬cases many wines from Virginia vineyards while the beer list features a rotating selection of craft beers by the bottle. Join us today for a bowl of our famous Virginia Peanut Soup, Southern Fried Chicken, or our signature Crab Cakes!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Fox Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (78)special occasion (75)neighborhood gem (68)great for lunch (50)fit for foodies (49)great for brunch (42)great for outdoor dining (39)notable wine list (37)good for groups (23)scenic view (12)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Wonderful AtmosphereSeeseeDined on 10/14/2014This is a nice restaurant with a very quaint and romantic feel to it. The atmosphere was great! I personally didn't make the best selection from the menu so I don't want to weigh in on the food having only tried one item.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Perfect 1st AnniversaryATable4TwoDined on 10/12/2014This was our first time at Red Rox Inn, but we will definitely be back. The service was amazing; I had noted that it was our first anniversary when I made the reservation through Open table and the hostess wished us a happy anniversary right when we checked in, our server congratulated us, and as we left we were given well wishes again--it certainly made us feel special. Additionally, they gave us a table for two right in front of the fireplace--very romantic. Dinner was AMAZING. We had the duck spring roles in plum sauce, the pea soup, the lamb, the schnitzel, and the lemon marscapone cake--everything was perfect (I highly recommend the duck!) We will definitely be back again!Special Features:
- Great brunch spotNutterVIPDined on 10/12/2014Red Fox Inn was the perfect brunch spot for a beautiful fall day. The food was good and more than enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordinary foodTryingtobefairDined on 10/11/2014Lovely historic inn. Pleasant ambiance and service. Food was disappointing. Not quite as good as ordinary. I ordered only appetizer and salad and was disappointed with both. I've had better at Wegmans grocery store salad bar. My husband ordered crispy half duck. He enjoyed it. Staff was very accommodating for a gluten free diet. Some guests were too noisy for a quiet romantic inn.Special Features:
- Red Fox Inn was Amazing!WinterDined on 10/11/2014The food was incredible with large portions. It was me and my wife's 10 year anniversary, which I told them ahead of time. They had a great table by the fireplace for us and were congratulating us on our anniversary. Great atmosphere with the rustic old building. Cosby have been happier!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014My wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed the Red Fox Inn on the past three occasions (all special) for our Anniversary the past two years and for Mother's Day brunch. Each time we've enjoyed fabulous service from Cindy (our waitress) and enjoyed a very nice table. The Red Fox is a great place indeed, and we'll be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at Ref Fox InnGoodfrenchDined on 10/5/2014This was our first time to dine at Red Fox Inn. We met some out of state friends for Brunch. The service was outstanding and the food was amazing. The four of us each ordered something different and there was not one complaint. I definitely plan on returning and would highly recommend this restaurant to any of my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServerMiddleburg1Dined on 10/4/2014The server could have been a bit more friendly. We declined desert and she said "I should have offered it to you first" like she was upset we didn't care for desert.Special Features:
- great dinnerKathrynDined on 10/4/2014my husband and i spent a 'child free' weekend in Middleburg and a friend recommended Red Fox Inn. It was great, close to the hotel, parking and great ambiance!! Our waiter, Brad was very knowledgeable about the menu, he pointed out his favorites and he was not wrong. The duck egg rolls were fabulous!! I had the fried chicken the the mac and cheese and the brussel sprouts, it was outstanding, however a very large portion and ended up bringing some of it home. My husband had the rib eye, served with broccoli and sweet potato fries, the broccoli was very flavorful and the steak was very good. For dessert we shared the pecan pie, it is deep dish and delicious!! Overall a wonderful experience!!!Special Features:
- Deb319Dined on 10/4/2014It was my daughters moving away luncheon, just the two of us and my daughters first time at the Red Fox. The best food! Very generous portions and it was yummy! Our server was prompt and attending.....wonderful ambiance. Always our Middleburg " to go to" spot.Special Features:
- Excellent -- as always.chrisDined on 10/1/2014My guests and I had truly delicious meals. From the creamed spinach soup, to the oysters/crab cakes/trout (I had the trout), the cheese grits, house salad, chocolate cake torte/pecan pie (I had the chocolate torte) -- all delectable. And service was very, very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rustic Atmosphere, very good foodbtanchorsDined on 9/27/2014I enjoyed the atmosphere of this place - in a very old building that has been around since the mid 1700's. The food was very good - I had schnitzle and really enjoyed it - it had a peppercorn sauce that was excellent. Several interesting beers on the menu - I had the Paulaner double-bok which was quite strong, 8.9% alcohol. The service was really good as well. We went with another couple, so it was four of us there. There are a couple of fireplaces in there, but it was too warm during our visit for fires to be lit - I would like to visit this place again when they actually have fires in the fireplaces, it would add a lot to the atmosphere. We enjoyed our time there and will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014service was slow. 45 mins. form placing order till food arrival. waiter was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rare missJLinVADined on 9/26/2014We've been to the Red Fox Inn many times (even got married there) and it has always been great, but this was a definite miss. Although the restaurant was relatively empty when we arrived for our reservation, we got seated at arguably one of the worse tables in the restaurant next to the bar and busboy station (despite asking for a special table via "Open Table" due to a special out of town guest). We asked to be moved, and service seemed to go downhill from there. At the end of the evening when we were given our dessert menus, we waited at least 10 minutes for a sign of our waitress, and finally asked the hostess for the check. Again, a rare "miss" at this great restaurant.Special Features:
- Never disappointswendyoDined on 9/25/2014The Red Fox is my go to for a great meal in a wonderful place. The surroundings - low ceilings, fireplaces in the winter, a spacious patio in warmer weather, lovely hunt country decor - are so warm and comfy. But the food is the reward for the drive. Having been there many times, I have never had a mediocre meal. Fresh and local ingredients in interesting combinations, and specials that are truly just that - special. For heavens sake try the duck!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect brunchkggoatVIPDined on 9/21/2014The Red Fox is a wonderful place for a special brunch. Traffic caused us to be a bit late for our reservation, but the staff still seated us promptly. The service is always exemplary and the food superb. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingWineDineFelineVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had a late lunch reservation before checking into the Inn. Unfortunately we had hit traffic and were very close to arriving when the kitchen would be closing. The staff was very accommodating and the food was as excellent as always. Crab cakes and fried chicken are not to be missed. We absolutely love it here and will be back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!barney16Dined on 9/16/2014The food was fabulous, but more than we could possibly eat. The service was excellent. This was our 25th anniversary dinner and I can't imagine how it could have been more perfect. Great evening.Special Features:
- Excellent as AlwaysPony751Dined on 9/16/2014I am a frequent diner at the Inn and am always pleased with all facets of the dining experience. This most recent trip we had the broccoli soup and the blackberry duo. Both were excellent. I am a huge fan of your shrimp and grits and it never disappoints. The atmosphere and service are top notch. Thanks so much, see you again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointednotafussyeaterDined on 9/14/2014Lovely old building. Ate Sunday brunch on the patio which was very pleasant. Crab cakes and shrimp and grits were good. I rarely complain about a meal, however two of my family members had omelets which were undercooked. Another family member had shrimp cocktail which was covered in spicy red sauce. 5 adults, two were happy with food, 3 were not. We were not questioned by staff if we were happy with the food, and my family members didn't want to cause a problem by sending anything back. I would not consider this good value. Panera bread would have been a better value, sorry to say.
- Delicious mealVisitorVIPDined on 9/14/2014We had a delicious Sunday brunch. Everything was tasty and the fruit and vegetables tasted like they were fresh from the garden. Our server was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Brunch!JohnDined on 9/14/2014Great food and great service. We go there as often as we can.Special Features:
- Great placeBobbyDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I love the Red Fox. Great atmosphere, food is fantastic and you don't leave hungry.Special Features:
- Great ambianceTraveler1Dined on 9/13/2014We were looking for an exceptional place to take our west coast niece to experience a piece of Virginia history. How better could it be than to have a meal in an inn that has operated in the same location since 1728. From the moment we walked through the door we were well taken care of by the staff. The service was well above the norm and the food was exceptional while the pricing was as one would expect for a good lunch anywhere. I would recommend the Red Fox Inn to anyone without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice!SurferVIPDined on 9/9/2014Great service and meal. From start to finish, the meal couldn't have been any better. Nice atmosphere, excellent service, good food and drink. The crab and artichoke dip was a meal unto itself. Every food selection was superb. Will definitely go back in the future.Special Features:
- KcjzDined on 9/8/2014Enjoyed my meal which was good, but not great. Very noisy.Special Features:
- Excellent food, excellent service.HappycustomerDined on 9/7/2014We had a great experience at the Red Fox Inn. The food was prompt and delicious and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- good food but too loudATLJFDined on 9/6/2014We went to the Red Fox Inn to celebrate our anniversary and we were not able to converse because the noise level was so amazingly high. The food was great and our waitress was wonderful but we were very disappointed that we were not able to talk because of the noise level.Special Features:
- Quaint and deliciousYellowpurseVIPDined on 9/6/2014I had shrimp and grits and it was wonderful. The others had salads which they enjoyedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Fox Inn Always GreatcigarmacVIPDined on 9/3/2014I had another opportunity to have lunch with friends recently in Middleburg at the Red Fox Inn. The pulled pork sandwich, one of my favorites, was excellent. The special sandwich they had was equally wonderful. And the service as usual was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot!BHaymarketDined on 9/1/2014Ate here for the first time on Labor Day at 5pm for dinner. We arrrived about 15 minutes early for our reservation so we went up to the small bar on the 2nd floor for a pre-dinner drink. The bartender was very energetic with a great smile and very attentive, and she offered some good suggestions for those in the party studying the wine list. The setting for dinner was fantastic, very 19th century. I had their famous Fried Chicken for dinner and it was great, and very large portions! The only thing I didnt love was the side of brussell sprouts with virginia ham, surprisingly didnt really taste how I expected (but that could be my own personal tastes). All in all a great Dinner and will return!BSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unforgettableamazingDined on 9/1/2014I came here for a nice romantic lunch. And that's what I got from here. The staff was very friendly they told us about the specials and got our food in a very timely manner.Special Features:
- AmazingDarkDropperDined on 8/31/2014The food was amazing, the drink was incredible, the atmosphere was special...but the service stole the show. Everyone, especially our waiter, was fully invested in ensuring my wife and I had a memorable dining experience. It's not everyday we can enjoy a great dining experience in a quaint country inn nestled in the rustic hills of northern VA. The reason we went to Middleburg on our road trip was for that very experience, and we left looking forward to the next time we have a chance to visit.Special Features:
- Always GoodJeffVIPDined on 8/31/2014Great food, as always. Great service. Always reliable. My wife and I love coming here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was greatRegularVIPDined on 8/31/2014Food and service was great. Service started slow, but I think it had more to do witha lunch rushSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HistoricBestBrunchDined on 8/31/2014Excellent ambiance in a historic environment! I love having Sunday brunch here you will not be dissapointed it is a real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fires in the fireplaces1CozyladyDined on 8/30/2014The only hope I'd have is that, given the cooler weather on the way, you please plan to have fires burning when the fall/winter weather sets in. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful lunch!luvrfiDined on 8/30/2014We meet several times a year for lunch with friends we have had for quite a few years. The food is always delicious, and the service perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistency is keytweedleDined on 8/29/2014I've enjoyed the red fox inn for many years. My list visit not so much. There food has always been outstanding but my recent visit left me wanting for the old chef. I'm told he's still there but has new people doing the prep. The new people added to much breading to the crab cakes, overcooked the fruit for the chocolate torte. It was average at best and shouldn't command the prices it does for the quality of the food.Special Features:
- Best in townMichaelMDined on 8/29/2014The Red Fox is by far the best restaurant in Middleburg, and as good as any in Fauquier and Loudoun counties. The Reuters are doing an outstanding job!Special Features: