Red Fox Inn
2 E. Washington St
Middleburg, VA 20117Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Red Fox Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redfox.com/
- Phone: 5406876301x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 8:00am - 10:30am (Not available for online reservations) Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm , Sunday: 4:30pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Engle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: The Red Fox Inn offers off-site catering to locations throughout Northern Virginia and Loudoun County. Please contact our Events Department for menus and pricing.
- Entertainment: Seasonal entertainment on the Garden Terrace
- Special Events: Occupying the second floor of the Inn, our private event space is comprised of four distinct private dining rooms and a large garden terrace. Original heart pine floors and paneling, working fireplaces, and walls adorned with sporting art set the tone for elegant group dining experiences. Our private event spaces can accommodate both social and corporate groups large or small for seated dinners, buffets, and cocktail receptions. The Inn is a prime location for intimate wedding ceremonies, elegant receptions, festive rehearsal dinners, unique corporate events and memorable dinner parties. Whatever the occasion, our Events Team will customize our property to best suit your needs; from custom linens and place settings to elegant floral arrangements and pole-tents, the choice is yours and the possibilities are endless.
- Cross Street: Madison
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Complimentary parking for restaurant guests is available in our private gravel lot off of Madison Street located behind the Red Fox Inn. Street parking is available at town meters 9:00 am – 5:00pm Monday-Saturday and is free after 5:00pm and all day on Sunday.
A word from Red Fox Inn
Established in 1728, our historic tavern welcomes Middleburg locals and travelers alike to enjoy hearty breakfasts, casual lunches and intimate candlelight dinners in the traditional Virginia style. Oak tables, handcrafted furnishings, stone fireplaces, hand-hewn ceiling beams and thick fieldstone walls create an intimate dining atmosphere any time of day. Our culinary team creates seasonal menus using ingredients indigenous to both Virginia and the South prepared with the time honored cooking techniques of smoking, braising, and roasting. The Tavern’s home-style dishes are simple yet genuine and feature many local ingredients sourced from area farms. The wine list boasts a diverse selection of domestic and imported vintages and show¬cases many wines from Virginia vineyards while the beer list features a rotating selection of craft beers by the bottle. Join us today for a bowl of our famous Virginia Peanut Soup, Southern Fried Chicken, or our signature Crab Cakes!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Red Fox Inn - Best Restaurants in Middleburg ›
Red Fox Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (78)special occasion (77)neighborhood gem (66)great for lunch (58)fit for foodies (46)great for brunch (44)great for outdoor dining (43)notable wine list (43)good for groups (25)scenic view (17)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Loved it!barney16Dined on 9/16/2014The food was fabulous, but more than we could possibly eat. The service was excellent. This was our 25th anniversary dinner and I can't imagine how it could have been more perfect. Great evening.Special Features:
- Excellent as AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014I am a frequent diner at the Inn and am always pleased with all facets of the dining experience. This most recent trip we had the broccoli soup and the blackberry duo. Both were excellent. I am a huge fan of your shrimp and grits and it never disappoints. The atmosphere and service are top notch. Thanks so much, see you again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Lovely old building. Ate Sunday brunch on the patio which was very pleasant. Crab cakes and shrimp and grits were good. I rarely complain about a meal, however two of my family members had omelets which were undercooked. Another family member had shrimp cocktail which was covered in spicy red sauce. 5 adults, two were happy with food, 3 were not. We were not questioned by staff if we were happy with the food, and my family members didn't want to cause a problem by sending anything back. I would not consider this good value. Panera bread would have been a better value, sorry to say.
- Delicious mealVisitorVIPDined on 9/14/2014We had a delicious Sunday brunch. Everything was tasty and the fruit and vegetables tasted like they were fresh from the garden. Our server was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Brunch!JohnDined on 9/14/2014Great food and great service. We go there as often as we can.Special Features:
- Great placeBobbyDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I love the Red Fox. Great atmosphere, food is fantastic and you don't leave hungry.Special Features:
- Great ambianceTraveler1Dined on 9/13/2014We were looking for an exceptional place to take our west coast niece to experience a piece of Virginia history. How better could it be than to have a meal in an inn that has operated in the same location since 1728. From the moment we walked through the door we were well taken care of by the staff. The service was well above the norm and the food was exceptional while the pricing was as one would expect for a good lunch anywhere. I would recommend the Red Fox Inn to anyone without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice!SurferVIPDined on 9/9/2014Great service and meal. From start to finish, the meal couldn't have been any better. Nice atmosphere, excellent service, good food and drink. The crab and artichoke dip was a meal unto itself. Every food selection was superb. Will definitely go back in the future.Special Features:
- KcjzDined on 9/8/2014Enjoyed my meal which was good, but not great. Very noisy.Special Features:
- Excellent food, excellent service.HappycustomerDined on 9/7/2014We had a great experience at the Red Fox Inn. The food was prompt and delicious and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- good food but too loudATLJFDined on 9/6/2014We went to the Red Fox Inn to celebrate our anniversary and we were not able to converse because the noise level was so amazingly high. The food was great and our waitress was wonderful but we were very disappointed that we were not able to talk because of the noise level.Special Features:
- Quaint and deliciousYellowpurseVIPDined on 9/6/2014I had shrimp and grits and it was wonderful. The others had salads which they enjoyedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Fox Inn Always GreatcigarmacVIPDined on 9/3/2014I had another opportunity to have lunch with friends recently in Middleburg at the Red Fox Inn. The pulled pork sandwich, one of my favorites, was excellent. The special sandwich they had was equally wonderful. And the service as usual was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot!BHaymarketDined on 9/1/2014Ate here for the first time on Labor Day at 5pm for dinner. We arrrived about 15 minutes early for our reservation so we went up to the small bar on the 2nd floor for a pre-dinner drink. The bartender was very energetic with a great smile and very attentive, and she offered some good suggestions for those in the party studying the wine list. The setting for dinner was fantastic, very 19th century. I had their famous Fried Chicken for dinner and it was great, and very large portions! The only thing I didnt love was the side of brussell sprouts with virginia ham, surprisingly didnt really taste how I expected (but that could be my own personal tastes). All in all a great Dinner and will return!BSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unforgettableamazingDined on 9/1/2014I came here for a nice romantic lunch. And that's what I got from here. The staff was very friendly they told us about the specials and got our food in a very timely manner.Special Features:
- AmazingDarkDropperDined on 8/31/2014The food was amazing, the drink was incredible, the atmosphere was special...but the service stole the show. Everyone, especially our waiter, was fully invested in ensuring my wife and I had a memorable dining experience. It's not everyday we can enjoy a great dining experience in a quaint country inn nestled in the rustic hills of northern VA. The reason we went to Middleburg on our road trip was for that very experience, and we left looking forward to the next time we have a chance to visit.Special Features:
- Always GoodJeffVIPDined on 8/31/2014Great food, as always. Great service. Always reliable. My wife and I love coming here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was greatRegularVIPDined on 8/31/2014Food and service was great. Service started slow, but I think it had more to do witha lunch rushSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HistoricBestBrunchDined on 8/31/2014Excellent ambiance in a historic environment! I love having Sunday brunch here you will not be dissapointed it is a real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fires in the fireplaces1CozyladyDined on 8/30/2014The only hope I'd have is that, given the cooler weather on the way, you please plan to have fires burning when the fall/winter weather sets in. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful lunch!luvrfiDined on 8/30/2014We meet several times a year for lunch with friends we have had for quite a few years. The food is always delicious, and the service perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistency is keytweedleDined on 8/29/2014I've enjoyed the red fox inn for many years. My list visit not so much. There food has always been outstanding but my recent visit left me wanting for the old chef. I'm told he's still there but has new people doing the prep. The new people added to much breading to the crab cakes, overcooked the fruit for the chocolate torte. It was average at best and shouldn't command the prices it does for the quality of the food.Special Features:
- Best in townMichaelMDined on 8/29/2014The Red Fox is by far the best restaurant in Middleburg, and as good as any in Fauquier and Loudoun counties. The Reuters are doing an outstanding job!Special Features:
- LovelyHappy2dineDined on 8/25/2014Ambience, service and food very good. The dining room was a little noisy that made conversation difficult at times. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Broken teeth from foodmauckhouseVIPDined on 8/17/2014My husband and I were looking forward to spending time together and also hired a babysitter to watch our young children so we could have a nice brunch out at the Red Fox Inn. My husband had ordered the Sausage Gravy and after the second bite he bit into something extremely hard (probably a bone, but we were unable to inspect as they quickly took the plate away). He was in a lot of pain and his front tooth and bottom teeth were chipped and broken so we had to leave to seek care. A manager took our information but we have not heard back from the restaurant since this happened. Extremely disappointment in the food and service. We've had many meals here before but are unsure about coming back.
- service/foodJoeyDined on 8/11/2014Sara was our waitress, she was very attentive and had a great since of humor. Smoked duck egg rolls night my favorite though, bone in rib-eye was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Outdoor BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014Recently went to the Red Fox Inn with my elderly parents. Perfect experience for Sunday brunch on the patio. Waitstaff was especially attentive and friendly. The food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Iconic Landmark Inn and ResturantAngelDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I live in Leesburg, but travel to Middleburg to eat at the Red Fox Inn for special outings. The inn and tavern restaurant exude a coziness and warmth, in an atmosphere of colonial ambiance and elegance. The staff are exceedingly polite, helpful and engaging, and the food quite appetizing. A list of famous guests includes President John F. Kennedy, Jackie Kennedy Onassis, and Elizabeth Taylor, among others. We love the place and will certainly return and invite friends and family. From Wikipedia: "...The building exhibits design details in the Federal and Colonial Revival styles. It is thought to be one of the oldest continuously operated inns in Virginia as well as the United States."Special Features:
- Very satisfied customers!AmandaAndRyne1Dined on 8/8/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday dinner and was not disappointed at all. Great staff -great service. He got the fried chicken and loved it. I got a perfectly cooked steak. Although we didn't get wine - they have a huge list of wines. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysGroovyDinersDined on 8/8/2014My wife had the peanut soup, again, and The filet mignon, again, and I had the country fried chicken with mac and cheese, shredded brussel sprouts with ham, and a biscuit (yes, that was all 1 meal). It was all fantastic. Red Fox does it right. And by 'it', i mean all their food. Well, the mac and cheese wasn't anything that would bring me back on it's own, but the duck, peanut soup, steaks, biscuits, crab cakes, and breakfast fare (id list more but i haven't had everything on their seasonal menus yet) definitely do.Special Features:
- Great place with great food.benefitsDined on 8/8/2014Have celebrated a birthday and an anniversary at the Red Fox Inn over the past three months. A great combination of exceptionally prepared food, attentive service and the quiet, romantic dining experience to make a special occasion exactly that. Always appreciate the diversity of the menu, offering the standards that the Red Fox is noted for - Crab Cakes, Fried Chicken, Fried Green Tomatoes - with a variety of offerings that change regularly based on their gatherings from the local area farms and the current harvest - heirloom tomatoes, lamb chops, etc. And all prepared to perfection. A great culinary experience in a wonderful atmosphere. One of our favorite spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and findNicoleDined on 8/6/2014We enjoyed the food and ambiance. Excellent wine list and service. Historic bar adds a layer of intrigue to this gem of a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to pleaseCreatesastirVIPDined on 8/4/2014There's a reason the Red Fox Inn has survived nearly 300 years -- outstanding food, attentive service -- and outdoor dining that delighted.Special Features:
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014We hadn't been here in a long time, and it was a surprise for my wife. We loved the scenic drive to and through Middlleburg, and had a delicious meal, terrific server. All in all, a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive barn diningFPLadyDined on 8/3/2014Food was excellent, but VERY pricey. $27 brunch consisted of nice small pastries, a spinach salad with 3 strawberries halved with a bit of cheese, scrambled eggs with processed ham, and a crunchy mashed potato and cheese (which tasted undone) ball and a biscuit which was served with no butter or jam. I asked for jelly and was given two small jelly containers like you get in diners. For this price, I would have expected a nice jam or honey served in a nice dish. At IHOP I could get all this for about $8-$10 or so. The restaurant itself is dark and reminded me of eating in a rustic barn. Anniversary brunch for us. We won't go back. My girlfriend had been there before and she thought the exact same thing. Mimosa another $7,50
- Charming historic innAFLTCDined on 8/3/2014Brunch at The Red Fox was a real treat. The food was excellent and the pastries in particular were memorable. It is in a quaint historic building in a nice area. The noise level was acceptable but it might be a little loud with a fully packed house. It was a truly enjoyable afternoon and we cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rustic and charmingGaryDined on 8/2/2014Ambiance was nice and cozy. Look was very rustic. Caprese salad was phenomenal, Rib eye was fantastic. Wife had the chicken Cordon Blue...she said it was a little salty and just okay. Overall, very pleased....my wife will get the filet next time.Special Features:
- Fantastic place for a mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014Wonderful village made even better by having such a great place to relax over delicious food and fine beverages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a classicJerabaumVIPDined on 7/26/2014love the Peanut soup. A classic set in the historic Red Fox Inn. Wonderful historic Inn from the 1700s. A must when visiting Middleburg, VASpecial Features:
- Remains a ClassicRickDined on 7/26/2014We have been to the Red Fox Inn multiple times over the years. The food remains outstanding as does the setting. We love this place and the town of Middleburg is as charming as it gets.Special Features: