Red Fox Inn
2 E. Washington St
Middleburg, VA 20117Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Red Fox Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redfox.com/
- Phone: (540) 687-6301
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 8:00am - 10:30am (Not available for online reservations) Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm , Sunday: 4:30pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Engle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: The Red Fox Inn offers off-site catering to locations throughout Northern Virginia and Loudoun County. Please contact our Events Department for menus and pricing.
- Entertainment: Seasonal entertainment on the Garden Terrace
- Special Events: Occupying the second floor of the Inn, our private event space is comprised of four distinct private dining rooms and a large garden terrace. Original heart pine floors and paneling, working fireplaces, and walls adorned with sporting art set the tone for elegant group dining experiences. Our private event spaces can accommodate both social and corporate groups large or small for seated dinners, buffets, and cocktail receptions. The Inn is a prime location for intimate wedding ceremonies, elegant receptions, festive rehearsal dinners, unique corporate events and memorable dinner parties. Whatever the occasion, our Events Team will customize our property to best suit your needs; from custom linens and place settings to elegant floral arrangements and pole-tents, the choice is yours and the possibilities are endless.
- Cross Street: Madison
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Complimentary parking for restaurant guests is available in our private gravel lot off of Madison Street located behind the Red Fox Inn. Street parking is available at town meters 9:00 am – 5:00pm Monday-Saturday and is free after 5:00pm and all day on Sunday.
A word from Red Fox Inn
Established in 1728, our historic tavern welcomes Middleburg locals and travelers alike to enjoy hearty breakfasts, casual lunches and intimate candlelight dinners in the traditional Virginia style. Oak tables, handcrafted furnishings, stone fireplaces, hand-hewn ceiling beams and thick fieldstone walls create an intimate dining atmosphere any time of day. Our culinary team creates seasonal menus using ingredients indigenous to both Virginia and the South prepared with the time honored cooking techniques of smoking, braising, and roasting. The Tavern’s home-style dishes are simple yet genuine and feature many local ingredients sourced from area farms. The wine list boasts a diverse selection of domestic and imported vintages and show¬cases many wines from Virginia vineyards while the beer list features a rotating selection of craft beers by the bottle. Join us today for a bowl of our famous Virginia Peanut Soup, Southern Fried Chicken, or our signature Crab Cakes!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Fox Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (103)special occasion (95)neighborhood gem (95)great for lunch (71)fit for foodies (65)notable wine list (48)great for brunch (46)great for outdoor dining (39)good for groups (24)scenic view (15)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Cozy Middleburg Spot, but Mediocre FoodLoriDined on 11/19/2014A very cozy, "horse country" style and historic spot. The service was good, but the food was just "okay." I had an Angus burger which I thought was tough (and tasted like it may have had fillers added) and not juicy at all--despite ordering it medium. The hand-cut French fries were also tough and didn't taste completely cooked. Lunch was saved by a nice wine selection. Wait staff was polite and fairly attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hunting for Food & Ambience in Hunt CountryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/18/2014the Red Fox Inn is an enigma. It seems to be rarely crowed, the food is good to excellent, and the ambiance is perfect for a little romance or good cheer with good friends. Other than the fact that it is a haul to get there from most places, I can't for the life of me figure out why it doesn't pull in more diners. That said, like most restaurants, they could seriously use some decent marketing. Cathy (i.e., Catherine) was a sweetheart and took very good care of us. She deserves accolades and well wishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Middleburg EscapeKostasgalDined on 11/16/2014One of the oldest operating restaurants in US. Lovely historic Inn with a charming atmosphere. You could imagine George Washington dining here and the town of Middleburg has many shops to explore to walk off the Eggs Benedict, Peanut Soup, Trout with cream sauce and capers over fried eggs with home fries. The bread basket has an assortment of delicious breads some with fruit. A great way to start a day (or end it).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor seating for twoDisappointedDined on 11/15/2014Reserved a table for special occasion. We were seated at a table under a HVAC vent, which had cold air blowing directly on us - on a very cold evening. We made this reservation several weeks in advance stating special occasion and a request for a window seat. When we requested to be reseated, hostess indicated we requested a window seat so we got our request - window was in a exit door. It took a while to find another table although many tables were available. but reserved. This is the second time we were seated at the same table for two under the vent. Probably will not return - food was OK but have had better, with better seating, more ambience for the price.
- Great Place, Highly recommend, will go backOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/15/2014What a great place to eat. Service was impeccable and food was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful winter luncheonDisappointedDined on 11/15/2014I met an old friend for lunch by the fire in the Tap Room. We had a lovely time, starting with the baked brie with mango chutney. We both ordered seafood and a bottle of Chassagne Montrachet complemented the shrimp and grits and scallops nicely. The goat cheese grits had a perfect consistency. Our server, Mo, was attentive, but not overly so, filling our wine glasses but discreetly leaving us to our conversation. She was gracious, even though we monopolized our table longer than most guests. The dining room was lovely on a winter's day with the fire and sunshine coming in the windows. We will definitely return for another visit. And ask for Mo's station.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Side dishes mmm....mmmmm....good!TappleDined on 11/14/2014This is a regular celebration spot for us. The historic building and ambience always start an evening off well. Sadly, they've removed the benches that used to line the old pub section of the restaurant, and its now just average table and chairs. Rumor has it they've been moved upstairs to the bar. Didn't make it up there on this trip. Dinner was fabulous... had Fried Green Tomatoes for a starter - very tasty. Hubby had lamb, daughter had a monster pork chop, and I had one of the specials - rockfish. While the lamb and pork chop were fabulous, the sides were the real stars of the meal. Hubby's brussel sprouts side was phenomenal... these are not your mother's brussel sprouts! Sliced, and mixed with something savory and something sweet - bacon or pancetta maybe - mmmmmm! Daughter's mac'n'cheese, served with the monster pork chop had her near tears. There was nothing wrong with the meat.. we all loved our dinners (minus the unimpressive rock fish), but we all raved about the sides. For dessert, we tried the pumpkin/spice bundt and bourbon pecan pie - both were good. Special new drink being served was also really nice... some sort of cranberry bourbon/rum? Perfect for fall. Nearly forgot... chef was very helpful, we had a vegetarian eater with us as well. They whipped up some butternut squash ravioli, served with a white sauce of some kind, over a bed of roasted veggies. Our guest loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Fox Inn - nice, quaint, historic restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/14/2014Loved the historic atmosphere and service. Wonderful food with some unique dishes such as roasted duck basted with some sort of a cherry sauce. Absolutely delicious. Prices reasonable for the type of cuisine & restaurant, $ 25 - $ 35 for the entrees; sides are extra, but very reasonably priced at $ 5. I definitely want to go back there again. MikeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frequent Lunch CustomerPony751Dined on 11/12/2014My mother and I come in for lunch at least twice a month and are never disappointed. The food is always delicious and the service friendly and efficient. Can't wait till our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Fox RecommendationSuzanneDined on 11/11/2014The restaurant was a beautiful location close to our resort. Both the food and ambiance were outstanding and if we ever get back to that area, we would definitely return. All in all, the Red Fox is a wonderful restaurant that we would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Perfecto!HabitualDinersDined on 11/8/2014We all had a wonderful evening at the Red Fox Inn. It was perfect from the time we walked in until the time we left the restaurant hours later. The service was great and the food was absolutely phenomenal.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014Our server was knowledgeable about the food and wine. The pork chop was extremely moist and flavorful. I was so impressed by the quality of ingredients, especially the crabcake. I highly recommend!Special Features:
- Still AwesomeLove2TravelDined on 11/7/2014My wife and I like to enjoy our date nights at Red Fox. Great service, great food, and nice atmosphere. Lovely place, and to walk around town during nice weather is a wonderful after meal treat.Special Features:
- butchDined on 11/7/2014Staff was super helpful, and knew what to do and how to do it in an excellent mannerSpecial Features:
- Double Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/7/2014My friend and I have birthdays 5 days apart and we chose the Red Fox Inn to celebrate. Middleburg was very busy that day , no parking in the Inn parking lot. We found a spot on the street It was amazingly crowded!! When I introduced myself to the hostess and mentioned my reservations, she indicated that she had two special tables that we could choose from - one in the window and one near the fireplace. We chose the the fireplace table, which was the beginning of a spectacular lunch with spectacular service. The hostess thanked me for making reservations. Our small menu changes were easily accommodated and the food was wonderful. Changes to the sides offered with menu selections did not cause any problems. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Fox Inn in Middleburg VAOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/3/2014It's a great change from all the "chain" restaurants. I've been eating at Red Fox Inn for many years! On a beautiful day it's even nice to casually walk off the fabulous lunch and look at all the wonderful shops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fairfax89Dined on 10/30/2014There were severe traffic problems on the way there, resulting in our arriving a half-hour late at 8:30. Unfortunately, from the outset, we were informed that the kitchen closed at 9:00 and we felt rushed the rest of the evening. Food was great as always and the restaurant remains a favorite. Service could have been less hurried.Special Features:
- Our Initial VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014This was our first experience at Red Fox Inn and we were not disappointed. We drove down from Fairfax in celebration of my wife's birthday. We were very pleased with the service and the mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2014although pricey this restaurant has a wonderful atmosphere with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchBobreviewsDined on 10/24/2014Great spot for lunch. Service and food were both outstanding. Restaurant is quite noisy. Stone floors seem to amplify every sound.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First-time FanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014The food was great, but the staff was particularly outstanding!Special Features:
- Superb!GregDined on 10/23/2014Part of the fun of eating at the Red Fox Inn is the drive through the rolling hills of Virginia horse country ending in a quaint town quite evidently protecting and promoting its rich history. Red Fox Inn appears to be its epicenter. The duck spring rolls were exquisite. The flank steak sandwich was comforting, although I was surpised that it was not served with something more imaginative that potato chips. The service was exceptionally warm and attentive. We felt very welcome despite spending longer than usual at our table. We look forward eagerly to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Delighted and EnjoyguestVIPDined on 10/22/2014I love the ambience and different choices on the menu from other restaurants. Each time I'm there, I'm always so happily surprised by the talents of the chef. A knowledgeable and friendly staff make for an all around enjoyable evening. Each time I leave, I begin to think about when I can return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningTravelersrestDined on 10/21/2014Food was fresh, seasoned perfectly and service attentive and enthusiastic, knowledgeableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/21/2014We eat at the Red Fox every time we are in the area. The food is excellent and it is a lovely venue.Special Features:
- Excellent and lovely -- as alwayschrisDined on 10/20/2014Very hospitable; lovely service; historical ambiance; great food. We were very proud to take our out of town guests there for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the visit and great food!BarbaraVIPDined on 10/18/2014The parking situation in town is difficult so we were pleased to have access to the private lot behind the building. There is a nice neighborhood pub upstairs with an outside patio under a tent that is lit up at night. The main restaurant is downstairs at street level. It is not handicapped accessible that I could see. We were seated right away at a quiet table in a corner. Our server, Brad, came over and we ordered the baked brie appetizer. He also went over the menu for us. The peanut soup is a must try, as well as the bourbon pecan pie. Great selection of entrees. The next time we're in the area again we'll return to the Red Fox Inn and make it a regular stop from now on.Special Features:
- Historic gemStraussreview1Dined on 10/18/2014I love going to the Red Fox Inn. Always great and very nice people too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Goodrap101Dined on 10/18/2014I have been here for lunch a few times and have always had a good experience. Service was great and so was the food. I would recommend it for anyone looking for good American food. They have a great outdoor patio but it was closed for the season.Special Features:
- Great Crab Cakesluv2travelDined on 10/14/2014There were four in our group and each person had a wonderful meal. The wine list was very good and the service excellent. Whenever we pass through Middleburg we eat at this restaurant. We have never gone wrong yet or been disappointed.Special Features:
- Wonderful AtmosphereSeeseeDined on 10/14/2014This is a nice restaurant with a very quaint and romantic feel to it. The atmosphere was great! I personally didn't make the best selection from the menu so I don't want to weigh in on the food having only tried one item.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Perfect 1st AnniversaryATable4TwoDined on 10/12/2014This was our first time at Red Rox Inn, but we will definitely be back. The service was amazing; I had noted that it was our first anniversary when I made the reservation through Open table and the hostess wished us a happy anniversary right when we checked in, our server congratulated us, and as we left we were given well wishes again--it certainly made us feel special. Additionally, they gave us a table for two right in front of the fireplace--very romantic. Dinner was AMAZING. We had the duck spring roles in plum sauce, the pea soup, the lamb, the schnitzel, and the lemon marscapone cake--everything was perfect (I highly recommend the duck!) We will definitely be back again!Special Features:
- Great brunch spotNutterVIPDined on 10/12/2014Red Fox Inn was the perfect brunch spot for a beautiful fall day. The food was good and more than enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordinary foodTryingtobefairDined on 10/11/2014Lovely historic inn. Pleasant ambiance and service. Food was disappointing. Not quite as good as ordinary. I ordered only appetizer and salad and was disappointed with both. I've had better at Wegmans grocery store salad bar. My husband ordered crispy half duck. He enjoyed it. Staff was very accommodating for a gluten free diet. Some guests were too noisy for a quiet romantic inn.Special Features:
- Red Fox Inn was Amazing!WinterDined on 10/11/2014The food was incredible with large portions. It was me and my wife's 10 year anniversary, which I told them ahead of time. They had a great table by the fireplace for us and were congratulating us on our anniversary. Great atmosphere with the rustic old building. Cosby have been happier!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014My wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed the Red Fox Inn on the past three occasions (all special) for our Anniversary the past two years and for Mother's Day brunch. Each time we've enjoyed fabulous service from Cindy (our waitress) and enjoyed a very nice table. The Red Fox is a great place indeed, and we'll be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at Ref Fox InnGoodfrenchDined on 10/5/2014This was our first time to dine at Red Fox Inn. We met some out of state friends for Brunch. The service was outstanding and the food was amazing. The four of us each ordered something different and there was not one complaint. I definitely plan on returning and would highly recommend this restaurant to any of my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServerMiddleburg1Dined on 10/4/2014The server could have been a bit more friendly. We declined desert and she said "I should have offered it to you first" like she was upset we didn't care for desert.Special Features:
- great dinnerKathrynDined on 10/4/2014my husband and i spent a 'child free' weekend in Middleburg and a friend recommended Red Fox Inn. It was great, close to the hotel, parking and great ambiance!! Our waiter, Brad was very knowledgeable about the menu, he pointed out his favorites and he was not wrong. The duck egg rolls were fabulous!! I had the fried chicken the the mac and cheese and the brussel sprouts, it was outstanding, however a very large portion and ended up bringing some of it home. My husband had the rib eye, served with broccoli and sweet potato fries, the broccoli was very flavorful and the steak was very good. For dessert we shared the pecan pie, it is deep dish and delicious!! Overall a wonderful experience!!!Special Features:
- Deb319Dined on 10/4/2014It was my daughters moving away luncheon, just the two of us and my daughters first time at the Red Fox. The best food! Very generous portions and it was yummy! Our server was prompt and attending.....wonderful ambiance. Always our Middleburg " to go to" spot.Special Features: