Red Fish Restaurant
8 Archer Rd.
Hilton Head Island, SC 29928Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Red Fish Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redfishofhiltonhead.com/
- Phone: 8436863388
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm
Early dining menu: Nightly 5:00pm - 5:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Sean Walsh
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can cater to any size party, on or off-site. We offer a private room for hire as well as special menus according to your preference.
- Private Party Contact: Betsy Trish 8436863388
- Special Events: Red Fish has wine tastings from the fall through the spring. Joining our wine club is free and an excellent way to stay abreast of what's going on around Red Fish wine-wise. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to join!
A word from Red Fish Restaurant
Red Fish specializes in excellent seafood and steaks with an upbeat Caribbean/Asian flair. A recipient of Wine Spectator Magazine's Best of Award of Excellence since 2001, Red Fish offers over 1300 wines from around the world for you to choose in our retail shop to enjoy with your meal (with a small corkage fee) or to take home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Red Fish Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Hilton Head ›
Red Fish Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
252 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (164)special occasion (126)fit for foodies (125)great for outdoor dining (92)romantic (84)neighborhood gem (70)good for groups (68)kid-friendly (33)great for lunch (24)hot spot (16)great for brunch (15)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (10)scenic view (2)Show More
- Fit for Faux FoodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014You can live by your reputation for only so long. Good drinks and nice wine selection, but if you want well prepared seafood, go elsewhere. The fish and scallops (2 tell-tale samples of what a good chef should be capable of preparing) were overcooked and uneventful. For those "foodies" who don't know the difference, the meal was edible. Out of four dining experiences within 5 miles, Red Fish was at the bottom of the list. I suggest "checking" on what your "competition" is preparing.Special Features:
- A Must in Hilton HeadOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014We've been coming down to Hilton Head for 10 years and Red Fish has been part of our vacation for as long as I can remember. The food, ambience, wine selection, and service are all top shelf. My wife craves the lobster burger every year but was so intrigued by one of the specials, we are going back tomorrow night so she can get her burger. This place never sits back on its laurels and continually delivers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration and Birthday Dinnersusansings2uDined on 8/22/2014Wow--fantastic, delicious dinner to celebrate two family birthdays. Friendly, kind over-the-top service with a smile, delicious food, great pace, and elegant service! Loved it!Special Features:
- Read the reviewsSearcherVIPDined on 8/22/2014I read the reviews and decided to give it a try. I must say that I was not impressed. I had the grouper and my wife had the shrimp and grits. She is a shrimp and grits expert being from Savannah. My fish was over cooked and the sauce was bland. The shrimp and grits was somewhat disappointing. Nothing great, they tried to spice it up with fried okra but it did not help. Overall, I give it a c. There are better places to eat.
- Ohioan at HHIOhiodrVIPDined on 8/21/2014My 35-year old daughter and I had a great experience here. The food was outstanding and my martini was well-prepared (not too much vermouth). We both had seafood and were extremely pleased at the preparation and presentation. Also, the size of portions was perfect.Special Features:
- Great service, great foodVeggieKokoDined on 8/21/2014Our waitress was very good and it was obvious she was very busy and had to walk a long way between her different tasks. We had the Crab Dip for an appetizer and it was very tasty. My husband has the Fish special which he enjoyed, and I had the Veggie Strudel which was good- a little too salty. We both has drinks which were ok. We took the coconut pie home and had it later and it was very tasty. We were sitting in the back room and I found the ambience quite boring. The bamboo window coverings just added to the colorless room. It needs more color.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mmmmVIPDined on 8/21/2014scallops were undercooked, and the lobster mac and cheese was overcooked and watery, with virtually no lobster in the mac and cheese...did not see what all the fuss was about this dish...disappointing overallSpecial Features:
- Don't miss this restaurant!LisaSDined on 8/20/2014We've been coming to this restaurant for years, and it never disappoints! The food is consistently wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific in every way!MictomDined on 8/20/2014One if the Island's top 5 restaurants. Don't leave here without experiencing it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014Our food was good, my Husband order a Chilean Sea Bass with Udon noodles, he's fish was great and the noodles were cold, not sure if that's the way is should have been, but he enjoyed it. I had triggerfish lightly blackened and it was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HabortownregularVIPDined on 8/17/2014Our first time there--RedFish was recommended highly by many Harbor Town/HHI regulars and it was superb. We all had different dishes--ribs, chicken, and fish special--and everyone was delighted!Special Features:
- great dining experience with wifemartyDined on 8/16/2014everything was superb especially the great food and service. we will come back again in the near future.Special Features:
- Great Lunch!DrGLTDined on 8/14/2014Great lunch (fabulous burger and coconut creme pie). Manager was very friendly and accommodating. Wait staff was well trained. We love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodDaisygirlVIPDined on 8/13/2014We had a nice early bird dinner. The portions were generous. The waitress, Claudia, was efficient and very personable. We will return.Special Features:
- Great Lunch!DrGLTDined on 8/12/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch at Red Fish! The soup was fantastic and the burger was cooked to perfection! It is obvious that this restaurant is well managed, and the wait staff was excellent! This experience makes you feel good!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerwillmoacDined on 8/9/2014Whilst taking our vacation on Hilton Head Island it was our wedding anniversary. After looking at various publications, Tripadvisor and OpenTable I decided that I would book a table at Red Fish for my wife & myself to celebrate our anniversary. We were both very pleased with our menu choices and the meal itself, the service was also good. At first on entry to the dining room we thought it to be very loud, but after a few minutes the noise level was no longer a problem. We visited on a very busy Saturday night after making a reservation through OpenTable. We would definitely eat at this restaurant again if we were to visit Hilton Head in the future. Visited August 2014Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014I put in the notes that it was my daughter's 18th birthday. No one acknowledge it. Very disappointed. I even told the hostess who did nothing special. I thought they would of sat us in a extra nice table. There was no one in the dining room and they wanted to sit us by the kitchen door. No happy.
- Excellent All AroundLargeDined on 8/8/2014This was the best dinner (food and otherwise) my fiancé and I have had in months and we live in New York City. Delicious cuisine along with a friendly and knowledgable server (Chelsea) provided a fantastic dining experience. Highly recommend and if we are ever in the area we will most certainly be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster Mac 'n CheeseKphjrVIPDined on 8/8/2014For the most part we found Red Fish good, but little to drag us back. When visiting from another state or province, we would expect fish from local waters. It seemed everything in this restaurant was imported from other states and provinces and nothing local. Not one fish was local... they had halibut, they had mahi-mahi, they had big eye tuna, but no grouper or flounder, etc. I must say the ribs, although sweeter, were a very good. This is a great place for families... it's huge and reasonably priced and that which they do serve is well prepared. Oh yeah, the Lobster Mac 'n Cheese is delicious.Special Features:
- Once again, superb!DrGLTDined on 8/8/2014We never miss the opportunity when visiting the Island to eat at Red Fish! The halibut and scallops were fresh, the wines were delicious, and the dessert was wonderful! Thanks to Chef and Jeff Martin for another wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- absolutely fantastic!nykizimmDined on 8/8/2014Seared scallops, lobster mac n cheese and grilled asparagus was to die for! Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with my mumOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Practically perfect in every way. Delicious food, lovely setting, pleasant staff, accommodating, friendly, excellent quality... nothing to complain about and very reasonably priced too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HHI RegularsTNTCDined on 8/4/2014We always plan Red Fish into our vacations on HHI. We enjoy the stalwart southern fusion with eastern flair dishes as well as the specials. The wine list is superb and the prices sublime. Unfortunately our last visit was on a night with screaming babies, wandering toddlers and ignorant parents.Special Features:
- Great Experience!love2dineoutDined on 8/4/2014The food was great, and the service was better. We enjoyed our Redfish dining experience and will definately be back again.Special Features:
- Was craving a dinner at Red FishRutiDined on 8/1/2014Never disappoints! Our out of town friends loved it too. Great food and service. A little loud as it was crowded but it's Friday night in the summer on Hilton Head Island.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant local fareOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014we went for the early dining. something for all The menu was absolutely wonderful just enough food, great environment. The Shrimp and grits are fabulous, not runny grits shrimp not overcooked. The cocunut shrimp was also absolutely fabulous. Child friendly restaurant. Recommend Early Dining option..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatingwithmikeDined on 7/31/2014Our first experience at the "red fish", we arrived in time for the early dining menu, served between 5:00 and 5:45. All the choices were very appealing and included a glass of wine or beer and choice of soup or salad with the entree. Both our selections were great, and with coffee and one dessert the bill was less than 50 dollars. We were extremely happy and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014As always our vacation isn't complete without our trip to Red a Fish. It was fabulous again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh FishHHI2EatDined on 7/30/2014Great, fresh fish entrees. A bit noisy making quiet conversations difficult. Ariel was great but the servers were a bit rushed, dropping off plates quickly.Special Features:
- Dined aloneOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2014I dined alone at Redfish on a busy Monday night in late July. I had a reservation and was seated immediately. There were no tables smaller than a 4-top, so that was a little awkward at first. The server recommended a nice wine that was reasonably priced. The food is presented beautifully and the taste matches the presentation. The server did get a little sidetracked with bigger parties, but nothing that was outrageous.
- Very good, but some disappointmentsBirdman3Dined on 7/26/2014This was our third trip to this restaurant. On our two prior visits we were well pleased. Same for this visit, with two exceptions. We ordered the cheese sampler appetizer. It was fairly pedestrian, nothing exotic, and the server had little knowledge of the cheeses or the cheese pairings offered. We enjoyed it, but the experience left us wanting. Secondly, our server confused the special offerings, pairing the fish selections and preparations incorrectly. Accordingly, my wife received the fish she wanted with the preparation she didn't. The server promptly corrected this, but her second preparation was overcooked. I had the Berkshire Pork. It was excellent. We enjoyed our wine. The atmosphere was great. Desert was on them. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MDTTipsDined on 7/24/2014Food was pricey but outstanding. Top of the line in Hilton Head, great for special occasions. Best wine selection ever seen for a resort restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Meal.tmk06Dined on 7/24/2014Awesome dinner, very fast! Wait staff was attentive and extremely friendly.Management made rounds while we were eating-seemed very genuine. Dined with two children, so the efficiency was much appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- River2bendDined on 7/24/2014We were seated by reservation within the "wine shop" section and welcomed by a personable and experienced waitress. She knew her menu well and was able to describe the evening's "specials" without consulting her notes, kept our beverage glasses full, and delivered each course in a timely manner. The food was served hot, hot, hot. Perfect, but not overdone. We each had a fish entre', cooked to a firm texture, and with artistic presentation. The servings were more than adequate, so much so that we refused dessert. Redfish is definitely an Island treasure.Special Features:
- Great WinesCC1169Dined on 7/23/2014The wine selection was outstanding and really helped to complete the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch or dinner - greatJudyHHIVIPDined on 7/23/2014Have been coming here for years but now that we live here it is our go to restaurant. Really good food and great service. Best salmon and black bean soup is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice to returnOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/22/2014We have been to Red Fish many times. The food has remained very good. Very pleasant place. There is a great selection of very reasonably priced wines. zin addition, you can choose a wine from their wine store, pay the retail price and a $10 corkage fee and have with diner. There selection of wines in the stow is extensive.Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/21/2014We were recommended to eat here by some people at a medical meeting we were attending. It was super loud and we could hardly carry on a conversation even though our table was on the edge of the room. The food was disappointing- nothing special and although they made up a combination type plate for me ( a salad with a lobster shrimp patty) they charged me the full price for both of the items when it was only a very small portion of the entree. The truffle fries were not very hot and they were soggy. The wine was good ( we had had that label many times) but overpriced. I would not recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/20/2014Gotta love the wine selection that you make prior to sitting down. Retail prices make it all worth while. Great food too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and Good ServiceHomegirlDined on 7/20/2014We can always count on Red Fish for excellent food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.