2118 N. Damen Ave
Chicago, IL 60642Neighborhood:
Bucktown / Wicker Park
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://reddoorchicago.com/
- Phone: 7736977221
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday, Wednesday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00 p.m
Friday and Saturday: 5:00p.m - 12:00 a.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Troy Graves
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Red Door
Chef Troy Graves' menu features global comfort food. Along with craft cocktails and beer Red Door offers an old world wine list. Enjoy both the award-winning patio and the cozy interior of reclaimed wood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Red Door - Best Restaurants in Bucktown / Wicker Park ›
Red Door reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (29)neighborhood gem (22)good for groups (19)fit for foodies (12)great for brunch (7)romantic (7)late-night find (3)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)special occasion (1)Show More
- Decent PlaceBigFanDined on 10/9/2014This place was highly rated when it opened years ago and I haven't been back since recently. Unfortunately, the food wasn't as good as I remembered which was a bit of a disappointment. However, they continue to carry good whiskey.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014it was really fun. loved the patio...the lighting was perfect. the only problem is that it to 20 minutes for the waitress to even stop by, then anther 15 before we got our first drink. that's 35 minutes sitting at our table with no drink. i used to be in the business and that is way too long to wait. food very yummy but came out extremely slow...we were in no rush but all super slow.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014Food was very good. Good enough that we'll go back despite a poor experience. I needed to change my reso. to 8:30. A man answered & said "oh, you weren't planning on eating were you?" I told him "yes, that's why I made an Open Table reservation". He asked if I wanted to sit inside or out. I told him I didn't care & he said "Oh, OK then. I'll tell them to change it", but he never asked my name or told the host. Server was nice, but forgot our drink (I had to get it from the bar) and never gave us any warning that the kitchen was closing (website says 12:00). We said we were going to order a lot & quickly ate a "snack", 2 app's and 1 entrée. When we tried to order more (9:10) she said "sorry, it's closed" and offered a shot insteadSpecial Features:
- Good food-good atmospherechicagodinerDined on 8/23/2014Food was good- great outdoor dining spot. Relaxed vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab brunch!IlonaDined on 8/23/2014I loved the outdoor patio and the brunch was delish. One thing I would improve is to offer the lunch and brunch menu at the same time for more options.Special Features:
- Great outdoor seating area!KrisDined on 8/9/2014Red Door's patio is a hidden gem. Great ambiance with twinkling lights strung over the airy seating area. Delicious burger & kale salad, prompt service.Special Features:
- Fantastic FindTammyVIPDined on 8/7/2014In a chance encounter with a colleague in the CostCo parking lot, we asked for a restaurant with a patio in the area. He recommended Red Door. We were amazed! What a hidden gem. The food was fantastic; the service was as well. The patio - WOW!! We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner dateFancyfugateDined on 7/19/2014Everything was wonderful except the patio seating. We didnt feel 100% comfortable because anything we said the people bext to us could hear so there was a total lack of privacy. Wouldnt suggest the patio for a date. Everything else was marvelous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome patio/food/serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/19/2014I've been to Red Door twice, and the food and the service were fantastic both times. The patio is amazing here, so definitely try to go when you can sit outside. I had the mushroom quinoa, which was incredibly flavorful. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Al Fresco DiningPRudnickVIPDined on 7/18/2014This is my go to spot for summer dining. The outside is beautiful and the food is the perfect accompaniment to the atmosphere. Small plates, great drinks and a fun staff, I will be back for sure at this great spot!Special Features:
- Rad.KatieDined on 6/26/2014Red Door is the best. The patio rocks, and the food is amazing. Seriously, maybe the best burger in the city. Seriously. But the best part of Red Door are the peeps who work there: perfect level of attentive but not smothering, super friendly and chill, stylish and cute. My boyfriend and I go here all the time and the patio is great for groups of friends too, whether you're eating dinner or just grabbing a drink. Thumbs all the way up. Next, I gotta get there for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 136 reviews are from the Red Door reviews archive.
- MediocreBCornoDined on 6/24/2014After reading several reviews of The Red Door, we were eager to try it. But we were disappointed. The food sounded really interesting, and was mostly pretty good, but wasn't great. It took forever to get drinks served, and then they gave our food to someone else and so had to prepare our order all over again. It was a good hour + from the time we ordered until the time we finally got our food. It would have been nice to have been offered a discount, or a comped dessert, for the inconvenience, but that didn't happen. Waitress was nice, but not overly attentive. And the bartender was woefully ignorant of the wines available and hadn't even heard of some varietals that s/he should have been familiar with. I don't think we'll be back.Special Features:
- Relaxing patio, great fooddrxtinaVIPDined on 6/13/2014Food was excellent, as was the service. Our waiter, Ben, was very energetic and enthusiastic, which is refreshing. We were able to get a nice table outside on the patio at 7pm on a Friday night w/out problem. We had the bacon-wrapped artichokes, mussels and octopus --- all delicious. Will definitely come back, and bring our dog. Gotta love the neighborhood dog-friendly spots!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/11/2014Everything we had to eat was goo except the ricotta gnocchi , it tasted like bad fried cheese curds. Also we got there at 7:30 and they were already out of the oysters, soft shell crab and one other thing. I like Red Door it's a good neighborhood place to eat. Food is usually very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichDined on 6/8/2014The food was great, however we were disappointed they had run out of the Ahi Tuna, Mussels and Oysters. We ordered the Burrata, which was brought to the table before we were told they were out of actual Burrata cheese, but the dish had everything else. We were offered nothing as a replacement and still had to pay for the dish. The table next to us had the same thing happen and they were given a complementary cauliflower. It was disappointing they were out of so much and the treatment of customers was different table to table.Special Features:
- waited an hour for foodmrm11Dined on 6/1/2014We made the mistake of going here before a game. Ordered waited an hour then left. Did never came. We politely asked a few times. Even mentioned 15 minutes before we left that we'd take it to go. Nothing.
- Wonderful dinner outsideLauraDined on 5/31/2014Great weather, good food, service a bit slow, but it was a busy night. I recommend this spot for a night out with friends!Special Features:
- Terrible, 2 hr wait for foodlydia1VIPDined on 5/25/2014We were seated at 7:15, the waitress didn't come take our order until 7:45 (when we asked her if we could order). At 9:30 we still didn't have any food, our waters were not refilled, and she didn't come by to tell us why the food was taking so long. Other tables had the same issue and some people left without food. We were close to leaving but thankfully at about 9:45 they brought us food (again, after talking to management multiple times.) The ambiance is nice and the food was good once we finally ate, but the service we received was the worst I've probably ever experienced. We will not be going back.
- What the heck happened?GKhanDined on 5/18/2014I had gone to Red Door about a year or so ago and had a very positive experience. Food was good, service was fine and we had a solid experience. Flash forward to last Sunday. It was so bad. My friends and I were sharing 6 dishes and we literally waited probably 1/2 hour for the first 2 and then 20 minutes or more for another two and then another 20 minutes or more for another one and then finally another 20 minutes for the final dish, which was the swordfish (more to come on the swordfish). Do the math and we were sitting there for well over an hour. It wasn't even crowded! The food was fine except the swordfish which was practically raw. To their credit, they did take it off of the bill. I would recommend this place for drinks not food.Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014The tuna tasted fishy, but other than that the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okdafood81Dined on 5/11/2014I have been to red door once before and had a better experience. This time was for mothers day. We were the first people to arrive at the restaurant and be seated. Granted it was mothers day and very busy, our food took a really long time. And half of the table was served about 15 minutes before the rest. When we were finished and wanted to go we could not find our server to get the check. Overall it was great if we didn't have to wait for so long. Everyone is nice and most of the food is good. I had the burger, and it was nothing special, but the rest of the food was good and reasonable.Special Features:
- Red DoormhwhDined on 5/9/2014Nice place, tasty food. The menu is very small though, and it can get loud very easily.Special Features:
- Tues 4-course Veggie Dinner Rocks!Angelaluvsgr8foodVIPDined on 5/6/2014I have loved the inventive menu, the brunch, the outdoor patio and the occasional pig roast at this reataurant. Now I have one more reason to shout about Troy and his culinary skills. In addition to his reg menu, he has created a vegetarian dinner on Tuesdat that did not disappoint. It was not the usual run of the meal food. We were happy about the tasty food and too full to finish it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice outdoor spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/20/2014We went for brunch on a Sunday. The weather was perfect, so it was nice to be able to sit in their expansive patio. Food was good, drinks were good and the server was very good, but the food delivery from the kitchen was quite slow.Special Features:
- Great experience!chicagofoodieVIPDined on 4/5/2014We had an all-around great time at The Red Door. The service, the food, the ambiance, and the value is all excellent. What I loved most is that I didn't feel rushed to finish our meal (and bottomless mimosas) and leave. The staff was super friendly. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2014After our 2nd time dining at Red Door I can confidently say that the good folks in the kitchen know what they're doing. Food is always spectacular, service is great and drinks (cocktails) are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, Quiet DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2014A couple of us stopped here after work after a very long week. The service was excellent, the food was great, and the atmosphere was calm but bright. Loud enough to know there were lots of other people enjoying themselves, but quiet enough to still have a conversation We will stop here again!Special Features:
- Food is better than ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/29/2014Delicious korean spare ribs and yummy kale chips. However we were seated in the back room where there were harsh light bulbs hanging, nothing to absorb sound, so we were practically yelling at each other to be heard, and mostly plain , mint green walls that didn't have the warmth and neighborhood feel of the front half of the restaurant.Special Features:
- not greatDorothyDined on 3/29/2014We ate in the back of the resturant, actually a second room and the noise level was unbearable. There is a short wine list, about 6 each of red and white, however quite an extensive beer list. The food; the kale chips would have been perfact if the chef had not been so heavey with the salt. Ditto with the squid. I thought the quinoa with mushrooms was excellent. The manager could not have been more gracious, as the server was. I think this may be for a very young crowd.Special Features:
- Great Service and atmosphereAngelDined on 3/29/2014Delicious unique food, great service, recommendations, and great beer/wine list, brunch and dinner are both awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sat in the bar area and froze.JandBVIPDined on 3/15/2014We were not drinking and were not given a choice of being seated in the back dining area. Our server seemed miffed when we did not order drinks. Our food was ok, but my burger had clumps of salty meat.
- Cozy, good food and beer listChadBDined on 2/28/2014My wife and I noticed there were usually tables available here when we're looking or a weekend dinner spot, so we decided to try it. It's a pretty small space but nice and cozy for a meal. The menu is small but the food was great...we had the brussel sprouts, mussels, and catfish which were all good. One of the best things about this place was the beer list. They had a huge list with a lot of rare and specialty beers which was great to share and be able to try some new beers. Late night, around 11, they cranked the music and it turned into more of a bar scene, but they keep it more in "restaurant mode" through dinner. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExplosivekabirVIPDined on 2/21/2014The food blew me away. I live just a few blocks from this gem and have never stopped in. I will be returning soon.Special Features:
- Went for brunch with my familyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/16/2014Went for brunch with my family and while the food was great the service was EXTREMELY slow. We did not order anything special and were there for over 2 hours because it took so long to order or food and then get our food. Also I think this place is good for couples but not groups - the back room is really loud and it was difficult to hear everyone at our table talk. While the food was good I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here.
- Great Brunch Place!GTPeoriaDined on 2/16/2014I've been here for brunch of few times in the past month and it has been consistently good! It's usually pretty easy to get a table when you walk in, but I make reservations anyway just in case. The brunch menu is compact but offers a good range of tastes from sweet to savory, and the mimosa's/bloody's a delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food; Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2014My girlfriend and I had dinner on a Saturday night. While the food was excellent when it did finally arrive, our server ignored us for most of the night. Throughout the evening, our drinks sat empty with our server nowhere to be found. We remained polite, but after getting the attention of another server our waitress appeared to become hostile. After two hours in the restaurant we were late for another engagement despite our sufficient communication with the wait staff. Compliments to the chef, the food was unique and prepared perfectly. I would recommend this spot for anyone who doesn't have plans after dinner, and who is known for their unwavering patience.Special Features:
- DisappointedVic123Dined on 2/14/2014Portion sizes very small. And the food wasn't even good. Plates also came cold.Special Features:
- Neighborhood pubOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/8/2014Not a bad little pub, with decent food. Fine for a simple weekend brunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Brunchlynnej1234Dined on 2/8/2014I love brunch here. The difficult part is deciding which brunch entree to pick. They are all that delicious. I brought a group of 4 - 2 vegetarian- and we all loved our meals. My daughter had the french toast and she is a true food. She said it was the lightest she had ever had. Her boyfriend had the Croque Madame without the ham and he loved it. His mother ad the corned beed and was in heaven and I had the steak and eggs. I have no idea what the put in the eggs but the are the lightest imaginable and the steak has an oriental taste. It was amazing. And, the bottomless mimosa/ entree deal makes their brunch perfect. I go whenever I can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemHydJo4Dined on 2/6/2014Food is unique and delicious. We went during restaurant week and got the baked goat cheese with pumpkin bread and the beef tataki for appetizers. Both were delicious and different. We then got the truffle gnocchi and diver scallops with butternut squash puree. Both were too die for. I was obsessed with the truffle gnocchi and the scallops tasted so fresh. For desert we ordered nutella panacotta and the lemon cake with basil ice cream. I favored the nutella panacotta! It reminded me a little of chocolate pudding. This bar had a great whiskey selection and reminded me of a speakeasy. I ordered a gin drink that came out in a 1920s style champagne glass, which was adorable! It's all about the details for me. They also had a good beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.