303 Second Street
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.reddogrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (415) 692-0211
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:00am-3:00pm
Dinner: M-Th 5:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Su 5:00pm-9:00pm
Brunch: Sa-Su 10:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lauren Kiino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Red Dog offers catering customized to your needs, from small business lunch delivery to full service formal events. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Entertainment: In close proximity to AT&T park, Red Dog welcomes Bay Area sports enthusiasts to enjoy local and nationwide games in HD at our 20-seat bar.
- Special Events: Red Dog is available for private & semi-private events. We will customize menus and events for our business and private clients.
- Cross Street: Between Folsom and Harrison
- Public Transit: Montgomery Station at 2nd St. and Market serves all BART and MUNI trains.
Cal Train stops at 4th St. and Townsend.
Muni lines 10 & 12 run along 2nd St.
Muni lines 14 & 14L stop at 2nd St. & Mission.
Muni lines 8AX & 8BX, 30, & 45 run along 3rd St.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available in our building (303 2nd Street); the entrance is located on Folsom between 1st St. and 2nd St. Street parking is plentiful on evenings and weekends.
A word from Red Dog
Chef Lauren Kiino brings her distinctive style of approachable, inventive farm-to-table California cuisine to SOMA. Taking advantage of the Bay Area's outstanding quality and variety of meats and produce, she incorporates local ingredients into dishes inspired by flavors from Italy and across the U.S. In perfect counterpoint, the 20 seat bar offers craft beer, a well curated wine program, and on-point modern and classic cocktails.Continued
Expect a decidedly diner-friendly environment: comfortable and welcoming, with complementary modern and rustic touches.
Expect a decidedly diner-friendly environment: comfortable and welcoming, with complementary modern and rustic touches.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Dog reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (28)good for groups (28)neighborhood gem (26)great for lunch (19)great for brunch (15)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (5)special occasion (3)late-night find (3)romantic (2)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Not as cozy as I would like, but yummy!sfnativeDined on 11/22/2014Great appetizers and service. Everything the server recommended, even the drinks, were spot on. Very pleasantly surprised. It doesn't ooze with coziness and definitely looks more like a place that only opens for the business lunch crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a small partygourmetgalVIPDined on 11/11/2014I have been a fan of Red Dog since my first bite. Now I have another reason to recommend it: their lovely back room. I was planning a farewell dinner for a group I've worked with for over 18 years and this room was the perfect environment. It's separated from the main room by a 3/4 wall so that some sound is blocked but you don't feel totally isolated. The restaurant decorated the table with a seasonal arrangement and ensured we had attentive service. Then of course there was the fabulous food. We particularly appreciated the array and quality of the vegetarian options - brown rice bowl, home made pasta, savory bread pudding and salads. Thank you Red Dog, for a night we'll remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing in every wayMountaineerVIPDined on 11/7/2014We arrived for a noon reservation and the place was nearly empty, yet after being seated it took 15 minutes for someone to come back take our orders. Then we waited another 20 minutes to get our lunch. I ordered a salad with chicken added, and it was delivered with no chicken. We did not have time to wait to have the order corrected, so I asked if I could simply have a slice of bread. We were informed that we could order bread and be charged for it. I asked that the waitress simply not charge me for the chicken I didn't receive. When we got our bill, I was charged for the chicken. The place is also deafeningly loud. I will not go back to Red Dog.
- Good comfort food, Slow serviceLuckyinSanFranDined on 11/6/2014Comfort food with a hipster twist. Nice for a low-key lunch and glad to see something different in SOMA area. Can see a vision for a future vibrant lunch and after-work scene but needs work on service. The wait staff was slow / stretched too thin with communication break down between server and wait staff. Served oysters raw when ordered barbecued, forgot cookies at end of meal and took awhile to appear at table after menus given. Nothing bad - just disorganized and not a place I would take clients or a large party. Disorganization didn't live up to the upscale, "downtown" appearance and vibe. I have hopes this place will improve and become an after work or good lunch time destination.Special Features:
- A good place for a simple dinnerJackDined on 11/1/2014The place looked a little empty and feels somewhat cold, but the food was very good. I had a cabbage salad that was good, nothing spectacular but I enjoyed. The salmon with farro and sunchokes was excellent; I had seen the menu online with tuna and I would have probably preferred to have it with tuna but I enjoyed it very much anyway. For dessert I had the cheese which was good; a little disappointment when I ordered bread for the cheese and it came buttered already. Not a good idea for a bred to be had with cheese. Still, I had a very nice dinner and will likely come back whenever I am back in San Francisco. My server was new (second day in the job) but very friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- gourmetgalVIPDined on 10/26/2014The brunch menu is a wonderful combination of breakfast and lunch items, so lots to choose from. The drinks like the house bloody mary are also delicious. We went a little crazy and had dessert even though it was early. Does oatmeal on the top of the cherry crisp count as more breakfast? I hope so, because it was fabulous!Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014I was able to secure a reservation at 8 pm on a Friday evening for a group of 11 friends, for which they provided a spacious, semi-private dining area. The servers were attentive, and made great recommendations regarding the drinks. We loved the salads and appetizers. My chicken entree was quite salty, which I brought to the attention of the server. She was extremely gracious, and the manager came and apologized as well, quickly offering a replacement entree (the short rib which was unbelievable), which came out promptly. Overall, our group really enjoyed the experience, and plan on coming back again in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/21/201411:45 reservation for lunch today. Seated immediately but 15 minutes later flagged down the hostess to ask if anyone knew we were there. Almost 10 minutes later we flagged down a waitress to see if someone could take our order. She (Jessi) was awesome--apologetic, helpful, kept checking back and apologizing for the next 20 minutes it took to get our sandwiches. Manager our food--no warmth, no apology, not even the slightest smile. Mentioned to Jessi that she must be having a bad day. Manager returned with still no smile to tell us she was not having a bad day and grudgingly that she had comped our meal. A nice gesture but a personality and timely service would have been more than enough. Food is ok. Be prepared for a wait.
- Drinks & apps on a whimOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014We were walking by and were intrigued by such a beautiful place. Loved our appetizers (esp the calamari) but hated the service. Our waiter could not answer my questions about the very short wine list nor did her bother to go ask someone. He disappeared for a very long time so I was unable to ask for lemons for the yummy calamari. Overall, nice but very loud place (several large groups) and indifferent service.Special Features:
- Good but not dynamic in food cityNeoklassiksoulVIPDined on 10/18/2014Visited the restaurant recently. Service was good, food was good but not overly exciting. Salad on food ordered was 'old' and the response being that the bread was warm so.... A good-average restaurant.
- Good food slow serviceTakfoodDined on 10/2/2014Food was good, but it took them 35 minutes to bring out desswrt and another 40 to get us the check. There were computer issues, but no one told us about them until over an hour in to waiting when we just paid by cash.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great discoveryDBA1VIPDined on 9/29/2014I went to the restaurant because it's in a familiar neighborhood. I started working right across the street 35 years ago. It turned out to be a good decision. The food and service were both excellent. I started with a spicy Margarita that had the perfect amount of heat. It was one of the best margaritas I've ever had. I continued with an autumn chicory salad that was also very good. My entree was a crispy pork trotter sandwich. The pork was juicy and lean and served on a brioche bun. The accompanying French fries were also perfect and served with a good aioli. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Sit at the barKK09VIPDined on 9/19/2014Don't bother sitting at a table - wait staff is not experienced and are not paying attention to their tables. They need time to work operations out. Bar seating seems like the best bet. Food is good, catch a ball game, or go for lunch. Get the TrotterSpecial Features:
- More clean plates!gourmetgalVIPDined on 9/16/2014Having loved all my meals here, I wanted to introduce it to two friends of mine who work in the neighborhood. Once again, my party cleaned every plate. We shared two seasonal salads - one with heirloom tomatoes and one with peaches - plus the light crispy calamari to start. Then we shared three entries. The pork chop is my new favorite of the meat dishes. It's tender and has great flavor - not always true these days - and went perfectly with the polenta and green beans. The rice bowl was as delicious as everyone has described. The chicken is reliable and light. I just wish dessert lived up to the rest of the meal. They should spring for a pastry chef to match the other kitchen talent.Special Features:
- Not impressed sadlyChezfongfongVIPDined on 9/13/2014I enjoyed my first dinner here months ago and decided to bring a friend here for lunch. The host was very friendly but our waiter Steven O. was a bit arrogant. I asked him about the corn bisque soup and he immediately replied " When was the last time you were here?" That was an obnoxious response. I told him I looked online the night before and saw it listed. In addition he was also the bartender as well as our waiter. That was ridiculous because he was busy making drinks and had to look over to see if we were ready to order. There were other waiters available. I enjoyed my cherry coconut muffin and frisée salad. But the service was condescending. Made the experience unenjoyable. It's too bad.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/10/2014Service was awful, food was fair and over priced....................
- Great Food - Service was QuirkySteveb461VIPDined on 9/7/2014Went for Sunday brunch and the food was fantastic! I also love the space - casual but hip. We might have gone on a bad day for the restaurant because we wound up waiting a long time for drinks and food. There was confusion with the menu (we got one menu when we came in and then they ran to print a more up-to-date menu). There was also confusion with the food ... initially part of our order was "out" but then they "got more" so we got what we originally ordered. It certainly wasn't the server's fault ... it appeared that there was a disconnect between the bar/kitchen and front-of-house.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood Addition!KatyVIPDined on 8/29/2014This was my second time at Red Dog, and I have been very happy with it. The first experience was brunch when I had the salad with peas, bacon, egg -- excellent for a light dish. This time was dinner, and I had the pork chop with polenta. My dining partner had the short rib, and she was very satisfied. It looked great! Service was extremely friendly and fairly efficient. The place has a nice buzz to it, and I look forward to returning on a regular basis.Special Features:
- gourmetgalVIPDined on 8/18/2014The food was as tasty as ever, but on this occasion the kitchen fell behind. Apparently too many of us ordered chicken at the same time and we ended up waiting over half an hour for our entrees. Had they explained the problem, I could have easily picked something else. At least when the chicken finally arrived it was juicy and delicious. Later, the manager sent over free desserts as an apology. I hope they work out a better system, though. If this had been my first time, I might not be so eager to go back and it really is a good place.Special Features:
- Great place, good for lunch/dinnertherealCLDined on 8/15/2014Scotch egg. So good. Loved the beet soup as well. Great ambience, attentive host and waiters, great spot for lunch or dinner. Seems to have a good amount of people at all times hanging out at the bar or eating a meal at a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmetgalVIPDined on 8/12/2014Yet another delicious dinner at Red Dog. This time at the waiter's suggestion I tried the short rib. It was well balanced with tomatoes and white beans, but overall the dish was so rich I had to take half of it home. Thank goodness I had a salad to start. They are all fresh and excellent. My friend tried the burger with HP sauce and pronounced it cooked to perfection. In fact, the only big slip was that the maitre failed to check us in on Open Table!Special Features:
- Red dog happeningLynzeeVIPDined on 8/11/2014Newish spot on way to ball park, great bar scene and bartender, James. Try their cocktail,university first Sunday of the month. Four themed cocktails with four substantial snacks to compliment. Great tasting food. Most with a bit of an unusual touch by Chef Lauren Kiino. Try Fearless, her coffee shop across the Plaza, excellent coffee and they ask you if it is not to your liking they will remake it. .Special Features:
- Deplorable Dining ExperienceRahdooDined on 8/7/2014I was joined at Red Dog by several other Hospitality Industry Professionals. Between us we had over 100 years combined experience in the Food and Beverage Business. We all agreed that Red Dog was the worst over all experience in a restaurant any of us could remember. We were greeted by the Host who attempted to give us the worst table in the house even though there were any number of others available. Our server appeared in stained shirt, apron and trousers and made it clear we were keeping him from something. All the food was cold. The Scotch Egg was cold and over cooked. None of us ate our food; but no one asked why. The only Chardonnay on the "wine list" was barely fit to drink. Even the deserts and expresso disappointed. Never again.
- Great foodSwellFijiVIPDined on 8/6/2014We had an interesting experience with a waiter who was a little inattentive, who was slow and brought us the wrong drinks. But that may just be one guy and in no way reflects on the overall restaurant experience. The food and drinks were all delicious. Overall very pleased and we'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy HourOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014We had a carafe of wine and thee small plates for around $45. Not bad for a restaurant in the city. I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GunnygunnyVIPDined on 7/31/2014Our first visit. Our salmon terrine and scotch egg appetizers were very good. We shared a pork chop entree and it was delicious. Glad to have this restaurant in the neighborhood. We'll definitely be back. Our server was helpful and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 28 reviews are from the Red Dog reviews archive.
- OKOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/30/2014Ate here a while back, pretty safe stuff. Service was decent, although they sat us by door w/ no one in dining room and it is super drafty by door. Moved when asked....food ok, standard CA fare Ribs were greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodObserverVIPDined on 7/29/2014Highly recommended, service and food is very excellent, will be back here soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerVIPDined on 7/28/2014Ordered a variety of appetizers and side dishes. Most were pretty good. Service, sadly, was not. Had to wait forever for my first cocktail. The waiter had left it sitting at the bar. Had to wait forever for my second cocktail. The waiter had left it sitting at the bar. At least he comp'd us two desserts for this. However, after we specifically asked that he not deliver all our food at once, since we'd ordered alot, he started to deliver all our food at once. Realizing there was no more room at the table, he returned some items to the kitchen. He also said he'd bring us some plates, since we were sharing all we ordered. And we sat forever with no plates until we asked someone else to bring some. And some utensils to eat with. Good grief.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2014We went on a Saturday night, maybe 6 tables full and a few people at the bar. Our server was not very good. He asked if we wanted a cocktail to start and then walks away without our order. After he brings the starters he walks by and asks if everything is ok and if we liked the food. I've never heard a server ask me if I liked their food. Then as he was bringing our entrees, we asked for a wine by the glass menu. He hands it to us and again walks away. There were only 5 wines by the glass for reds...we can make up our mind quick. Then 5-10 minutes go by before we have to flag him down to order the wine.
- up & coming placeowlglassDined on 7/26/2014Get an easy last-minute table here while it lasts - in 6 months you'll have to book earlier like every other good placeSpecial Features:
- Fabulous neighborhood additiongourmetgalVIPDined on 7/26/2014I'm somewhat reluctant to write about how good our dinner at Red Dog was. I really would like to keep this wonderful find to myself. But they deserve to catch on with the neighbors as much as they seem to have with the office crowd. Every dish we had was scrumptious. We literally sent back nothing but empty plates. As an added bonus, our waiter sometimes tends bar there, so he was able to recommend the perfect cocktail and wine to go with what we ordered. Simply put, I can't wait to go back. In fact I'm going to book another table right this minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch must be a new offeringFoodieBearVIPDined on 7/20/2014Made a 10:00 reservation & was the only customer in the restaurant until about 10:30. I ordered the Olive Oil Fried Egg Sandwich and coffee. They didn't have any sweetener for the coffee (can't have sugar) - they scrounged around & found some stevia powder and even went next door to a neighboring convenience store. Extra points for trying, but wouldn't you think that sweetener would be a standard thing at a restaurant. The sandwich was good, but the eggs were a bit overcooked as the yolks were set.
- Great potentialChoosyVIPDined on 7/18/2014Good variety on the menu and nice environment though on the noisy side when the bar, which is good sized runs length of the indoor space, is busy like the night we went. Service was sincere, helpful with the menu. Vegetarian rice bowl was great--fresh veggies--and unique topped with a fried egg which gave it a robust flavor; only complaint it was a bit heavy with oil/butter. Gold Rush drink on the happy hour menu was a great pre dinner cocktail.Special Features:
- Good neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2014Enjoyed a good Sunday night meal here. Good quality, tasty, priced well. have eaten at fancier restaurants for more $ but the quality here better. The folding chairs could do with an upgrade, as they make the place look a little cheap, but the space is nice.Special Features:
- Good for brunchsfeaterVIPDined on 7/13/2014This is a convenient place for brunch -- open early, lots of seating -- and what we ate was great. There are both healthy and indulgent options on the menu. We had the granola / yogurt and a porridge-like item, both of which were excellent. Wish the hostess had not been absentminded about checking us in as fulfilling our opentable reservation, but other than that the service was fine.Special Features:
- Best secret in SOMADrewPaikVIPDined on 7/13/2014This place is wonderful. Whether you are looking for a lunch spot or a place for happy hour or a gathering place before a Giants game, Red Dog is an excellent choice. The food and the decor are too good to be hidden for long, so you might want to enjoy before word gets out.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014What a find! It's new but there's none of the new restaurant glitches. The wait staff had it goin on. The bartender was delightful. The food was creative and outstanding. The portions are generous. The interior of the restaurant is beautiful. Very modern but comfortable and inviting. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Great brunch at Red DogLive2eatinSFVIPDined on 7/12/2014The home made pastries were excellent, especially the apple cake. The red dog brunch platter was amazing, especially the grilled short ribs and the thick slices of bacon. A nice low carb tho high fat option. The duck hash was good, but would have been much better if the chunks of potatoes had been allowed to crisp a bit on the edges. Great strawberry jam and good coffee too! And the service was attentive, nicely timed and excellent throughout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurant!kristyDined on 7/10/2014The staff was very friendly. We had the smoked trout rillettes, the oysters and the burger. Everything was really delicious.