303 Second Street
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.reddogrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4156920211x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:00am-3:00pm
Dinner: M-Th 5:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Su 5:00pm-9:00pm
Brunch: Sa-Su 10:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lauren Kiino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Red Dog offers catering customized to your needs, from small business lunch delivery to full service formal events. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining area is a perfect venue for meetings and entertaining alike. Available during all restaurant operating hours. It can accommodate a seated dinner for 16 or standing reception for 30.
- Private Party Contact: Erin Walker 415-692-0211x
- Entertainment: In close proximity to AT&T park, Red Dog welcomes Bay Area sports enthusiasts to enjoy local and nationwide games in HD at our 20-seat bar.
- Special Events: Red Dog is available for private & semi-private events. We will customize menus and events for our business and private clients.
- Cross Street: Between Folsom and Harrison
- Public Transit: Montgomery Station at 2nd St. and Market serves all BART and MUNI trains.
Cal Train stops at 4th St. and Townsend.
Muni lines 10 & 12 run along 2nd St.
Muni lines 14 & 14L stop at 2nd St. & Mission.
Muni lines 8AX & 8BX, 30, & 45 run along 3rd St.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available in our building (303 2nd Street); the entrance is located on Folsom between 1st St. and 2nd St. Street parking is plentiful on evenings and weekends.
A word from Red Dog
Chef Lauren Kiino brings her distinctive style of approachable, inventive farm-to-table California cuisine to SOMA. Taking advantage of the Bay Area's outstanding quality and variety of meats and produce, she incorporates local ingredients into dishes inspired by flavors from Italy and across the U.S. In perfect counterpoint, the 20 seat bar offers craft beer, a well curated wine program, and on-point modern and classic cocktails.Continued
Expect a decidedly diner-friendly environment: comfortable and welcoming, with complementary modern and rustic touches.
Expect a decidedly diner-friendly environment: comfortable and welcoming, with complementary modern and rustic touches.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Dog reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (39)fit for foodies (36)great for lunch (33)good for groups (26)great for brunch (23)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (14)kid-friendly (8)special occasion (6)romantic (5)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- More clean plates!gourmetgalVIPDined on 9/16/2014Having loved all my meals here, I wanted to introduce it to two friends of mine who work in the neighborhood. Once again, my party cleaned every plate. We shared two seasonal salads - one with heirloom tomatoes and one with peaches - plus the light crispy calamari to start. Then we shared three entries. The pork chop is my new favorite of the meat dishes. It's tender and has great flavor - not always true these days - and went perfectly with the polenta and green beans. The rice bowl was as delicious as everyone has described. The chicken is reliable and light. I just wish dessert lived up to the rest of the meal. They should spring for a pastry chef to match the other kitchen talent.Special Features:
- Not impressed sadlyChezfongfongVIPDined on 9/13/2014I enjoyed my first dinner here months ago and decided to bring a friend here for lunch. The host was very friendly but our waiter Steven O. was a bit arrogant. I asked him about the corn bisque soup and he immediately replied " When was the last time you were here?" That was an obnoxious response. I told him I looked online the night before and saw it listed. In addition he was also the bartender as well as our waiter. That was ridiculous because he was busy making drinks and had to look over to see if we were ready to order. There were other waiters available. I enjoyed my cherry coconut muffin and frisée salad. But the service was condescending. Made the experience unenjoyable. It's too bad.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/10/2014Service was awful, food was fair and over priced....................
- Great Food - Service was QuirkySteveb461VIPDined on 9/7/2014Went for Sunday brunch and the food was fantastic! I also love the space - casual but hip. We might have gone on a bad day for the restaurant because we wound up waiting a long time for drinks and food. There was confusion with the menu (we got one menu when we came in and then they ran to print a more up-to-date menu). There was also confusion with the food ... initially part of our order was "out" but then they "got more" so we got what we originally ordered. It certainly wasn't the server's fault ... it appeared that there was a disconnect between the bar/kitchen and front-of-house.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood Addition!KatyVIPDined on 8/29/2014This was my second time at Red Dog, and I have been very happy with it. The first experience was brunch when I had the salad with peas, bacon, egg -- excellent for a light dish. This time was dinner, and I had the pork chop with polenta. My dining partner had the short rib, and she was very satisfied. It looked great! Service was extremely friendly and fairly efficient. The place has a nice buzz to it, and I look forward to returning on a regular basis.Special Features:
- gourmetgalVIPDined on 8/18/2014The food was as tasty as ever, but on this occasion the kitchen fell behind. Apparently too many of us ordered chicken at the same time and we ended up waiting over half an hour for our entrees. Had they explained the problem, I could have easily picked something else. At least when the chicken finally arrived it was juicy and delicious. Later, the manager sent over free desserts as an apology. I hope they work out a better system, though. If this had been my first time, I might not be so eager to go back and it really is a good place.Special Features:
- Great place, good for lunch/dinnertherealCLDined on 8/15/2014Scotch egg. So good. Loved the beet soup as well. Great ambience, attentive host and waiters, great spot for lunch or dinner. Seems to have a good amount of people at all times hanging out at the bar or eating a meal at a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmetgalVIPDined on 8/12/2014Yet another delicious dinner at Red Dog. This time at the waiter's suggestion I tried the short rib. It was well balanced with tomatoes and white beans, but overall the dish was so rich I had to take half of it home. Thank goodness I had a salad to start. They are all fresh and excellent. My friend tried the burger with HP sauce and pronounced it cooked to perfection. In fact, the only big slip was that the maitre failed to check us in on Open Table!Special Features:
- Red dog happeningLynzeeVIPDined on 8/11/2014Newish spot on way to ball park, great bar scene and bartender, James. Try their cocktail,university first Sunday of the month. Four themed cocktails with four substantial snacks to compliment. Great tasting food. Most with a bit of an unusual touch by Chef Lauren Kiino. Try Fearless, her coffee shop across the Plaza, excellent coffee and they ask you if it is not to your liking they will remake it. .Special Features:
- Deplorable Dining ExperienceRahdooDined on 8/7/2014I was joined at Red Dog by several other Hospitality Industry Professionals. Between us we had over 100 years combined experience in the Food and Beverage Business. We all agreed that Red Dog was the worst over all experience in a restaurant any of us could remember. We were greeted by the Host who attempted to give us the worst table in the house even though there were any number of others available. Our server appeared in stained shirt, apron and trousers and made it clear we were keeping him from something. All the food was cold. The Scotch Egg was cold and over cooked. None of us ate our food; but no one asked why. The only Chardonnay on the "wine list" was barely fit to drink. Even the deserts and expresso disappointed. Never again.
- Great foodSwellFijiDined on 8/6/2014We had an interesting experience with a waiter who was a little inattentive, who was slow and brought us the wrong drinks. But that may just be one guy and in no way reflects on the overall restaurant experience. The food and drinks were all delicious. Overall very pleased and we'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy HourOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014We had a carafe of wine and thee small plates for around $45. Not bad for a restaurant in the city. I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GunnygunnyVIPDined on 7/31/2014Our first visit. Our salmon terrine and scotch egg appetizers were very good. We shared a pork chop entree and it was delicious. Glad to have this restaurant in the neighborhood. We'll definitely be back. Our server was helpful and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodObserverVIPDined on 7/29/2014Highly recommended, service and food is very excellent, will be back here soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerVIPDined on 7/28/2014Ordered a variety of appetizers and side dishes. Most were pretty good. Service, sadly, was not. Had to wait forever for my first cocktail. The waiter had left it sitting at the bar. Had to wait forever for my second cocktail. The waiter had left it sitting at the bar. At least he comp'd us two desserts for this. However, after we specifically asked that he not deliver all our food at once, since we'd ordered alot, he started to deliver all our food at once. Realizing there was no more room at the table, he returned some items to the kitchen. He also said he'd bring us some plates, since we were sharing all we ordered. And we sat forever with no plates until we asked someone else to bring some. And some utensils to eat with. Good grief.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2014We went on a Saturday night, maybe 6 tables full and a few people at the bar. Our server was not very good. He asked if we wanted a cocktail to start and then walks away without our order. After he brings the starters he walks by and asks if everything is ok and if we liked the food. I've never heard a server ask me if I liked their food. Then as he was bringing our entrees, we asked for a wine by the glass menu. He hands it to us and again walks away. There were only 5 wines by the glass for reds...we can make up our mind quick. Then 5-10 minutes go by before we have to flag him down to order the wine.
- up & coming placeowlglassDined on 7/26/2014Get an easy last-minute table here while it lasts - in 6 months you'll have to book earlier like every other good placeSpecial Features:
- Fabulous neighborhood additiongourmetgalVIPDined on 7/26/2014I'm somewhat reluctant to write about how good our dinner at Red Dog was. I really would like to keep this wonderful find to myself. But they deserve to catch on with the neighbors as much as they seem to have with the office crowd. Every dish we had was scrumptious. We literally sent back nothing but empty plates. As an added bonus, our waiter sometimes tends bar there, so he was able to recommend the perfect cocktail and wine to go with what we ordered. Simply put, I can't wait to go back. In fact I'm going to book another table right this minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch must be a new offeringFoodieBearVIPDined on 7/20/2014Made a 10:00 reservation & was the only customer in the restaurant until about 10:30. I ordered the Olive Oil Fried Egg Sandwich and coffee. They didn't have any sweetener for the coffee (can't have sugar) - they scrounged around & found some stevia powder and even went next door to a neighboring convenience store. Extra points for trying, but wouldn't you think that sweetener would be a standard thing at a restaurant. The sandwich was good, but the eggs were a bit overcooked as the yolks were set.
- Great potentialChoosyVIPDined on 7/18/2014Good variety on the menu and nice environment though on the noisy side when the bar, which is good sized runs length of the indoor space, is busy like the night we went. Service was sincere, helpful with the menu. Vegetarian rice bowl was great--fresh veggies--and unique topped with a fried egg which gave it a robust flavor; only complaint it was a bit heavy with oil/butter. Gold Rush drink on the happy hour menu was a great pre dinner cocktail.Special Features:
- Good neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2014Enjoyed a good Sunday night meal here. Good quality, tasty, priced well. have eaten at fancier restaurants for more $ but the quality here better. The folding chairs could do with an upgrade, as they make the place look a little cheap, but the space is nice.Special Features:
- Good for brunchsfeaterVIPDined on 7/13/2014This is a convenient place for brunch -- open early, lots of seating -- and what we ate was great. There are both healthy and indulgent options on the menu. We had the granola / yogurt and a porridge-like item, both of which were excellent. Wish the hostess had not been absentminded about checking us in as fulfilling our opentable reservation, but other than that the service was fine.Special Features:
- Best secret in SOMADrewPaikVIPDined on 7/13/2014This place is wonderful. Whether you are looking for a lunch spot or a place for happy hour or a gathering place before a Giants game, Red Dog is an excellent choice. The food and the decor are too good to be hidden for long, so you might want to enjoy before word gets out.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014What a find! It's new but there's none of the new restaurant glitches. The wait staff had it goin on. The bartender was delightful. The food was creative and outstanding. The portions are generous. The interior of the restaurant is beautiful. Very modern but comfortable and inviting. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Great brunch at Red DogLive2eatinSFVIPDined on 7/12/2014The home made pastries were excellent, especially the apple cake. The red dog brunch platter was amazing, especially the grilled short ribs and the thick slices of bacon. A nice low carb tho high fat option. The duck hash was good, but would have been much better if the chunks of potatoes had been allowed to crisp a bit on the edges. Great strawberry jam and good coffee too! And the service was attentive, nicely timed and excellent throughout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurant!kristyDined on 7/10/2014The staff was very friendly. We had the smoked trout rillettes, the oysters and the burger. Everything was really delicious.
- ChowciaoVIPDined on 7/7/2014They have only been open about 6 weeks and while the food was good as was the service there were a few bugs, mostly in the service, that still need to be worked out. The service is not unfriendly or bad, mostly it seems that they are not quite comfortable or confident with their roles, are a little hesitant, a little stiff and need a little polish. Given what they have going that should not be long to be rectified. I look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surpisingly GoodMannyVIPDined on 7/7/2014Been to Red Dog a couple of time now. It's still new and not really packed. It's a few blocks from AT&T so game night can be noisy when fans meet to grab a pint before the game. The food is really exceptional. The brown rice with veggies is a light meal, but it is simply awesome. The pork chop was delicious! For appetizers, the chicken wings are some of the best I ever had, but deviled egg is so unbelievably good (one egg to an order, order multiples because you really won't want to share). The service is attentive and more than adequate for a place of that size. I really didn't like are the chairs. They look like picnic chairs and don't look very study. During the meal, I kept thinking it was going to collapse on me like a cartoon.Special Features:
- Very good, though portions r smallObserverVIPDined on 6/23/2014Recommend increasing portion size, but quality of food is very goodSpecial Features:
- Great Space, Just Misses.LikeItorNotDined on 6/11/2014For close to a year I have been walking by Red Dog nearly every day eagerly anticipating the opening. The design of the space is awesome and contributed to my high expectations. The food was very good, and the service very nice considering that they are working out the new restaurant bugs. Several interesting menu options worth exploring. The disappointment came in either the serving size, or the price, or both. I left thinking that "this place is a bit over priced for what you get". The "value" at Red Dog was below other offerings such as Momo, Paragon, and Ironside. Definitely worth a visit or two and for special occasions but not on my "go to" list of frequent eateries.
- a long-awaited nice place for SoMaJuliaVIPDined on 6/10/2014Gourmet salads for sports-bar prices! Excellent pasta and burger. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch vs. Dinner at Red DogtoddxVIPDined on 6/10/2014In the past week, I had the opportunity to visit Red Dog for both lunch and dinner, and the experiences were wildly different. Lunch was active, well serviced, and appropriately priced. Dinner, however, was a little odd. At 8:30pm (albeit on a Tuesday), the restaurant was essentially vacant. Without going into too much detail, the service was just off: a wine was substituted but we were never told what was in the glass. Entrees were delayed and, as an apology, we were gifted a salad. Nice, right? Except for the fact that it was exactly the same salad we had finished not 5 minutes earlier. Again, odd service. After finishing dinner, we were not offered coffee or dessert--just the bill. So, lunch=yes. Dinner needs some kinks worked out.Special Features:
- jdavDined on 6/10/2014Pricier than its worth. Same prices as Agricole and Tosca, but lower quality food
- First Time At Red DogJanButlerVIPDined on 6/7/2014We went before a Giants game and ordered their beef hamburgers. These burgers are served on English muffins with all the fixings plus they gave us a good, spicy aioli sauce. Burgers come with tasty French fries. We had several beers (way cheaper than the ballpark) and wine. We started our meal with a great salad that had fresh peas in it. We all really liked their dressing. Friendly staff. The manager even came over to chat with us. We go to a lot of Giants games so we will be back to eat - and drink - at Red Dog!Special Features:
- A disappointing lunch experienceDoloresheightsdinerVIPDined on 6/6/2014I was anxious to try Red Dog and met a friend there on Friday. As soon as I walked in I knew it was going to be a less than perfect experience. It was so noisy and reminded me more of a college cafeteria than a nice place for lunch - and in SF, I am used to higher noise levels in restaurants. At Red dog, it was unpleasant and my friend and I had to yell at each other to carry on any conversation. The menu was simple and appealing for lunch; I ordered one of the lunch combos - half egg salad sandwich, half little gem salad and cookie. While the food was good, it took at least a half hour to wait to get it. The kitchen just was not prepared for how busy it was. And then...they forgot my cookie. It's not a place I would try again.
- Good food, especially...BobsaysDined on 6/4/2014...the veggie-bowl. Service spotty, to say the very least!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still evolvingSusieQVIPDined on 6/3/2014Service staff is terrible. Confused about the menu, forgot part of our order, slow and unattentive service and overall not a good experience. they have more work to do on training the staff.
- Excellent and creative menuMaggieCVIPDined on 6/1/2014I'm so glad Red Dog finally opened, now we can enjoy their signature dishes without having to stand around the Ferry building. Fresh ingredients and I love their brunch menu. I'll definitely be back and become a regular. I realize they just opened so this may change but I actually enjoy they don't have huge TVs everywhere.Special Features:
- OK Effort; Needs WorkAmPeasVIPDined on 6/1/2014Brunch is brunch, I think. It can be interesting and doesn't have to be greasy eggs. But this menu was frankly, unrecognizable. Smoked trout rillettes? Delightful, but that and crackers is NOT BRUNCH. What's interesting about Red Dog is that the restaurant itself is well executed, but not all that well conceived (it's usually the other way around). Given that, I have hope for Red Dog, but it needs a stronger, tighter, concept. Especially for brunch. Hard to recommend assertively at the moment, but it deserves some time.
- best burger in memoryBillMVIPDined on 5/30/2014Wow, I don't know what they did but this was the best burger I've had anywhere. Fries too, on advice from other reviews. Not cheap, but worth it.Special Features:
- The following 0 reviews are from the Red Dog reviews archive.