Red Crawfish - San Mateo
401 East 3rd Ave
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
CajunPrice: $30 and under
Red Crawfish - San Mateo
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.redcrawfishsm.com/
- Phone: 6503477888
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food, Cajun
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Red Crawfish - San Mateo
Featuring live Louisiana Crawfish, come and enjoy Cajun-inspired and Asian-fused exquisite cuisine in our warm, comfortable, yet sophisticated environment. Red Crawfish, located in the heart of downtown San Mateo, represents the confluence of American South and Asian traditions. Our owner and executive chef, and her decade-long partner who is raised in the South, are both passionate with good eats. They always mingle together in the kitchen and try out new recipes. Their passions lead to the creation of the unique Cajun-Asian fused dishes for all of us to enjoy. Whether you are craving for home-cooked comfort foods, planning a dinner party with family and friends, or just curious about our Cajun-Asian fused cuisine, you are always welcome here at Red Crawfish of San Mateo.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Crawfish - San Mateo reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (2)fit for foodies (2)good for groups (2)special occasion (2)great for lunch (1)neighborhood gem (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Yum - great food!PeteyVIPDined on 5/29/2014If you love crunchy, garlic-y chicken wings, they make some of the best, tons on garlic & onions, very tasty. Their Cajun fries are the very spicy and also have a nice crunch, while their grits are really smooth, the amount of butter and cheese is just right, it melts in your mouth....the perfect comfort food.Special Features:
- Worst service!MattDined on 4/25/2014Ignored reservations and all around worst service EVER! Food was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food for the "soul"JazzygalDined on 4/10/2014The food is always a hit with my family and I. The menu hardly changes and we stick with the tried and true, but do become adventuress and try something different. The Catfish and fries are excellent ! Like eating Southern cooking, which is a favorite of mine. Garlic noodles are great ! Green Beans and garlic -- refreshing and tasty. All-in-all, a great experience ! We keep going back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Few CajunsWalropodesDined on 4/5/2014Cajun is a rare genre of food in the Peninsula and done well is even harder to find. Red Crawfish for the price hits the right notes in regards to Crawdads and Fried Seafood. They have expensive but strong mixed drinks and serve large fresh crawdads. A good lunch or night out I chose this place for my birthday for a reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood at a great price.LeftcoastDined on 4/2/2014The seafood was excellent as was the garlic noodles. Food was served quickly and the staff did not rush you. Would have been rated a little higher if they had remembered my wife's birthday which I had indicated on the reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, OK serviceezachryDined on 3/29/2014The food was great and it was a great deal. I have eaten at Red Crawfish many times and the foot is always outstanding. The only issue I had was that I had a reservation at 8:30pm, and was finally seated around 9pm. I feel like if you have a reservation you should not be kept waiting a half hour, or at least be offered water or something while you wait. The food came out really quickly which was great, but then our shell dump bowl was only cleaned a couple of times and then they forgot to bring it back at one point. One great thing was that our water glasses were refilled quickly, which was nice because the food was a little spicy.Special Features:
- Dinner family styleNelsonDined on 3/29/2014Glad was able to order dinner family style menu for lunch. We were all glad we ordered that menu. Everybody had enough of the shrimp and crayfish. They were delicious and fresh.Special Features:
- Good food, good serviceBellVIPDined on 3/15/2014Our family of four came here on a Saturday for lunch. It wasn't crowded, the place is very clean, the server was nice, and the restaurant is located in a good location. You'll find parking on the street, and even if you park in a garage, the parking fee is not too expensive. The menu has a reasonable price for each item and much better compared to Shaking Crab located in Westlake! We thought that the food was good and we will definitely come back here again! We've had the shrimp, the combination, garlic noodles, thai ice tea, corn, french fries, and sweet potato fries-they're all delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not sure why people are commentingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2014Not sure why people are commenting on the poor service. Our service was great! It was fun and the food is yummy, especially the garlic noodles!Special Features:
- Awesome fusion cajunChefshigDined on 1/20/2014Excellent service, great tasting foodm a fusion of Asian Cajun, great Flavors!Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised!DajediDined on 1/2/2014Delicious, fresh shrimp in original sauce! Flat iron was a perfect medium! Beignets were NOT like those from New Orleans which was a disappointment. This was more like a dense dough ballSpecial Features:
- Good Service; family placeChitoDined on 1/2/2014We've been here a few times and the food and service were quite consistently. We like it too because we could bring our favorite wines to pair with their dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/24/2013Although the service at this restaurant wasn't very good, the food made up for it. We weren't impressed with the wine list or the fact that they only had one dessert option. The servers were friendly and our food was very good though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImprovementsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/6/2013I think that the staff can improve on their customer service; however I have dinned in during the mid day as well as late evening and I feel that the service becomes poor by the waiting staff as well as the chefs when it is almost closing time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything about the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/3/2013everything about the service was awful the food was awful we waited there for like 40 minutes just to get served when we were there before many other people so the service sucked to the whole restaurant was just awful never again will I go back
- Great food!!SxlongDined on 11/27/2013Slow in water and taking order but food was great and friendly staff! This is our third time in 2 months!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodOutandAboutDined on 11/15/2013Food was great for Cajun, the restaurant appearance reminds of identity crisis not sure if it wants a Cajun or Thai style. Went for lunch and table was not ready. Service a little slow but they try hard to please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible horrible horribleFoodieDined on 10/24/2013Food was gross. Service was so slow the waitress was difficult. How they are still open is beyond belief. Will not be back.
- Hot and spicy love itElsieDined on 10/20/2013If you like seafood and Cajun food with Asian flair u will love this place!! The drink choices and service ain't bad either!Special Features:
- DinnerliketoeatoutDined on 10/9/2013If you don't like spicy foods, don't go here. The short ribs were the only thing that didn't sound spicy, so I ordered them. They were tasty, but had the bone in them with very little meat. They are served on 2 pieces of lettuce. That was the only item that wasn't spicy. The fries have cajun spices. One ordered catfish & asked for rice instead of fries. She ws told it would be an extra $2.50. Two shared dinner special #1 ($50): 3 lbs. of crawfish, corn, & sausage in a big plastic bag with garlic noddles, cajun fries & garlic bread on the side with beignets for dessert. They ordered medium spice level (they love spicy food) & it was extremely spicy, The beignets were heavy & not as flavorful as ones we've had at other restaurants.
- Service was not goodPM848ADined on 10/5/2013The wait staff was very disorganized and did not take care of our table. Requests for more drinks and water were ignored to the point were we had to wave our hands to get someones's attention - and the restauant was NOT busy. We arrived at 4:45 for our reservation and there were only 2 other tables of diners in the whole place. The meal for one diner at our table was not brought with the others and we had to walk to the bar area to ask for someone to go check - about 10 minutes or more after the other diners had received their dinners. We were comped a dessert but too litte too late.Special Features:
- Touch of LouisianaCriticDined on 10/4/2013Great food, Atmosphere and Portions. Slight bit of language barrier of the server. Parking is mediocreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- red craw fish SAN MATEOchopper131Dined on 9/1/2013NOT WHAT I EXPECTED AT ALL. IT WAS ALL FAST FOOD AND FAST FOOD IS JUNK FOOD. ONLINE IT LOOKED A BIT UPSCALED,NOT THE CASE AT ALL. THE PLACE REALLY NEEDS A CHANGE. I WOULD NOT RETURN THERE,I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED. NOTHING WORSE THAN PAYING FOR SOMETHING AND NOT HAPPY WITH IT. SORRY REDS CRAW FISH YOUR PLACE NEEDS AN OVER HAUL AND YOU KNOW IT.Special Features:
- Great Asian-Cajun fusion restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2013I've eaten here 3 times and each experience has been great. My favorite is the salt and pepper crab. The fresh oysters and all of the fried food is awesome. Really good garlic noodles. The shrimp and crayfish come in a plastic bag with sauce. You can choose from mild to very spicy (actually very spicy). I can't eat much of the very spicy, but my husband loves it. Each table comes with bibs and a roll of paper towels ('cause you're going to need it). The mixed drinks are pretty good. All of the staff are friendly. The excellent food makes up for the slow service. Tips: Bring shell crackers if you plan on eating crab. Don't wear light colors. Good food options for non-seafood guests, but people go there to eat seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfies Boiling Crab craveDrTsTakeOnDPlaceDined on 6/26/2013We go to Red Crawfish if we do not want to drive all the way to San Jose to go to Boiling Crab. Although NOT the same, the closest thing.Special Features:
- Best Garlic chicken wingsPeteyVIPDined on 6/6/2013Best Garlic chicken wings (flavorful and crunchy) and garlic crab!Special Features:
- My family are seafood loversDinefineDined on 5/29/2013My family are seafood lovers so I decided to take them to the Red Crawfish. The food was excellent great Asian fusion varieties with a New Orleans creole twist. Several different dishes was ordered from Garlic crab&noodles, Salt pepper calamari to Cajun baskets and it all was great. Great customer service, the place make great drinks too. We really enjoyed our first dinner experience at this place! Yes, I would drive from Fairfield to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.