1423 34th Ave
Seattle, WA 98122Neighborhood:
Leschi / Madrona / Madison Park
NorthwestPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ethanstowellrestaurants.com/locations/red-cow/
- Phone: 2064547932x
- Hours of Operation:
5:00 PM - 10:00 PM Sunday through Thursday
5:00 PM - 11:00 PM Friday and Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, French, Northwest
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Red Cow
Red Cow is Steak Frites in Seattle’s Madrona neighborhood. A classic French brasserie featuring housemade charcuterie, local shellfish, a full bar, and a robust offering of steak to choose from.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Cow reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (93)fit for foodies (85)special occasion (42)romantic (27)notable wine list (25)hot spot (23)vibrant bar scene (9)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Dinner great, star of show lackingletseatseattleDined on 9/13/2014Went to Red Cow with my girlfriend, had reservations and were seated right away. The server was helpful and available even though he had many tables and the appetizers we had, 3 choices from the charcuterie, ranged from quite good (fois gras) to excellent (pate) to possibly the best we've had (chicken liver mousse). We both ordered ribeye steak frites & ratatouille to share. Fries were very good, veggies excellent, cooked just right. Our steaks, however, were definitely lacking flavor, even with the bernaise and compound butter we ordered with them. Our steaks looked beautiful, cooked to temp (Med. Rare). Just missing the really rich beefy flavor you expect from a $42 ribeye - if I was blindfolded I would have said it was a leaner cut.Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014Four of us came after a Washington victory in football. We were in great spirits and were very pleased with the restaurant. My steak had to much gristle in it but everybody else's food was very good. We definitely will come back. The waitress was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotNeighborfoodieDined on 9/5/2014Small place, great service. They keep the food very basic French bistro and do it right. I plan to become a regular.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationSupperclubDined on 9/5/2014This restaurant was one I found online and was really pleased. It was my birthday celebration and From the moment we entered until the time we left the staff treated us so well. The food was soooo delicious. We had a wonderful time. Would highly recommend Red Cow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Ethan Stowell success.decanoVIPDined on 9/4/2014Red Cow is unabashedly devoted to steak frites (with a choice of both steaks and sauces) but has a variety of other French-brasserie choices as well. Service is impeccable and friendly. When the small room is full, it is quite noisy, to the extent that one's server has to lean over the table to be heard (this seems to be part of Mr. Stowell's preferred style). I had the hanger steak, medium, with red-wine reduction; both the beef and the fries were superbly prepared, although the meat was a little tougher than it might have been. I started with a special heirloom-tomato gazpacho; it was wonderful. There is a full bar with well-prepared traditional and avant-garde cocktails (I had an Aviation). All in all, quite a fine place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElaineDined on 8/31/2014red cow burger was perfect at medium rare. beet salad was also tasty.Special Features:
- Excellent foodKMAGDined on 8/31/2014Steak and frites are great - worth the cost, and we went for a special occasion. The steak was cooked to to our liking and the steak sauces are delicious. The french fries are also spot on: crunchy, hot and soft. The chocolate mousse was wonderful. Great meal!Special Features:
- Great mealKKandKKVIPDined on 8/26/2014This was our first visit to Red Cow and we took out of town guests, one of whom is quite particular. Everyone enjoyed their meal very much. Service was very good. Decor is modern; there are mostly hard surfaces so once the dinner hour was in full swing it was quite noisy and it's a bit stuffy inside. Our steaks were perfectly prepared; two of us had the melt-in-your-mouth filets, and one couple shared the boneless rib-eye, which was plenty of food since we started with the chacuterrie and lamb tongue salad. We brought our own wine -- the $25 corkage fee is a little high but the wine glasses were good quality, so made the wine drinking more pleasurable! For dessert we shared the peach sorbet - 3 big luscious scoops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Authentic and wonderful French bistro food -- high quality, direct preparations, full of assurance and distinction, really hits the mark. Casual atmosphere but with plenty of style. The addition of Red Cow marks Madrona more than ever as a great restaurant neighborhood.Special Features:
- Phenomenal Meal at Red CowRayKayDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I went to Red Cow for my birthday dinner, and it was just outstandingly good. We started with the house made charcuterie (we went with chicken liver mouse, foie gras, and pork rilletes), and were amazed at how delicate and flavorful they all were. The mousse and foie just melted in your mouth. We followed that up with steaks. I went with the eye of ribeye, and I'm glad I did- it was just perfectly cooked. The marbling made the cut so flavorful and so tender, I think it might be the best steak I've ever had. To top it off, the server was attentive and helpful, and the atmosphere was friendly, welcoming, and just the right amount of hip. Dinner at Red Cow was just the perfect way to spend a summer evening.Special Features:
- Dinnerdiscerningdiner2014Dined on 8/18/2014Service was attentive, but not obsequious. The gazpacho was less gazpacho than a delectable, complex, cold cucumber cream (creme fraiche?) soup, wonderfully seasoned, with half cherry tomatoes afloat. The half chicken and pork tenderloin were otw, beautifully sauced and presented. My birthday guest loved the chocolate mousse, although I was not enthralled with my taste of it. The fig tart with creme fraiche ice was utter perfection. Hated my red wine choice (first on red wine-by-the-glass list). Very bitter. I look forward to returning soon for another lovely dinner out, but I'll be more careful in my wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great appetizers and charcuterieRybinderDined on 8/16/2014We split 3 of the charcuterie and they were fantastic. The frisee and bacon salad was great too. I had the 16oz boneless ribeye and unfortunately that left much to be desired, especially for a steak frites restaurant. It wasn't a bad steak but it lacked flavor. The char on the outside was weak and it needed more salt. It wasn't dry but it also wasn't nearly as juicy as you'd expect a $38 ribeye to be. I would definitely go back for the charcuterie and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe Trying Too HardAllieDined on 8/15/2014The first thing that indicated to me that this restaurant might have been trying to hard was that you needed to be bilingual French-English to understand the menu. Fortunately, a few in our party were so we could translate the parts of the menu that weren't in English. Things like "haricots verts" (a.k.a. green beans) seems a little unnecessary to be in French. The food was decent. The base quality was good and the preparation was also well done but in several dishes they were heavy handed with the spices. The bearnaise sauce and terrine where overwhelmingly seasoned. You definitely needed to have something strong to drink to wash it down. They didn't have much beer but they did have a local favorite, Rachel's Ginger Beer, and wine.Special Features:
- It's about the steak...?atemperenceofchefsDined on 8/15/2014Red Cow was to be my "meat relapse" as my dining partner put it, after 2mo of no meat. Martinis, great. Charcuterie amazing:pork rilletes, foie gras & pate de champagne, wow! Next, bone marrow also delicious, however to me needed a little parsley salad & some salt. She had the hanger MR, it was juicy and perfectly cooked, very tasty, tarragon-y béarnaise, although a little thin. My ribeye MR, was not as good. The lip was fatty and tasty, but the center of the steak was very overcooked and really tough, nowhere near MR. I was told it was sous vide and then pan seared..only on one side? Truly disappointing. They took it off my bill. I will try again, as overall we really enjoyed ourselves. Call it Red Cow...give me red cow. Attentive service.Special Features:
- Already planning a second tripMikasatVIPDined on 8/10/2014I was excited to try Red Cow, but now I am even more excited to go back! From the moment we first walked in the door, every single employee was courteous and accommodating right through the end of the meal. The restaurant is very nicely done, but we opted to sit on their patio because it was cooler. We ordered the burger (one of the best I've ever had) and the steak sirloin frites, and finished off with homemade peach sorbet - it was all fabulous, which was evident by our clean plates. The food was excellent, but the service is what I'll be returning for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a glorious carnivorous feastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014This cozy restaurant was ultra accomodating and the service was excellent. Our party of four did include one guest whom does not consume red meat who was quiet happy with the halibut. The steaks were very nice and the charcuterie was fantastic. The smoked beef tongue was a hit as well. I would certainly recommend this place. Of note, it was the middle of summer and I don't think there was air conditioning as the interior was extremely warm and muggy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $22 steak was chewykgdinerVIPDined on 8/8/2014The salt cod appetizer was the highlight. I got the least expensive steak, cooked medium, and it was a bit rubbery.Special Features:
- A Reaon to Go To MadronaaphoagDined on 8/5/2014Red Cow was fantastic and a real neighborhood find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowBrussDined on 7/31/2014Our new favorite place? We had a great time -- started with a half dozen perfect shigoku oysters, an amazing salade Lyonnaisse, and a really fine bucket of mussels -- every one in the pot was firm, meaty and delicious. Also one of their amazing hamburgers -- holy cow (pun intended). Rapture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!FoodieDocDined on 7/25/2014It was our first time at Red Cow. Made a reservation here as a surprise dinner for my husband's birthday. He ordered the lamb tongue appetizer, and I ordered the gazpacho. The lambs tongue was delightful; practically melted in your mouth, and the gazpacho was bursting with flavor and very refreshing. We both ordered the filet and frites, and both ordered our steaks medium rare. His was cooked perfectly, however mine was definitely a overcooked at medium. Nevertheless, they were both lovely cuts of meat and very good. The foie gras add-on was a real treat! We will definitely return for another special occasion.Special Features:
- Some great dishesSherlockDined on 7/24/2014Go for the chicken liver mouse - great. Muscles also great. Frites not crunchy like in France. Didn't try any beef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummmm....JmeKDined on 7/22/2014This was my second visit to Red Cow, I love the curry muscles ... but the frites are to die for. The first time I visited it was in a large group for Restaurant Week and this time I took my cousin in from out of town. It was lovely both times!!! I have still yet to have beef at a restaurant that has cow in the name... maybe next time :) Oh and they make a wonderful French 75 - not too sweetSpecial Features:
- tvlNdineDined on 7/20/2014Red Cow is a fabulous restaurant for foodies and definitely a neighborhood gem. Fabulous food and remarkable service! If noise level is not a concern......GO! If you're looking for a restaurant to have a good conversation in during your meal, would not recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FrenchZagMacDined on 7/16/2014Both steaks and French food dominate the options (I suppose the steaks are considered French, too, given the "Frites" attached to each) at Red Cow. We went with French finding both specials and standards that suited us. Great food and it came quickly. Staff was attentive and knowledgeable about ingredients and preparation. Prices very reasonable, with result being we want to go back.Special Features:
- RED COWFOODIE56VIPDined on 7/12/2014ORDERED RIBEYE FOR TWO, FOR MY SON AND MYSELF. HIS GIRLFRIEND ORDERED THE BURGER. WE ORDERED BOTH MED. "RARE". BOTH WERE SERVED MEDIUM, BARELY PINK.Special Features:
- I will be BACKhomechefvincentDined on 7/12/2014I love the foie gras torchon for my appetizer.Of course, the smoked Beef tongue an duck terrine are declious too. The 16 oz. boneless Rye eye steaks (Medium Rare) is awesome.It was not overcooked. The service was just unbelievably wonderful! The hostesses and our servers greeted us appropriately. The service was friendly and phenomenal. I will be returning to Red Cow in a very short time.Special Features:
- Pleasant experience!Ilya2193Dined on 7/8/2014What a delightful little place this is! I came here with a buddy of mine for an early dinner. We had reservations at 5pm and we arrived shortly after. Since it was a nice day and happy hour, the hostess asked us if we wanted to sit at a regular table, the bar, or the patio. We decided to sit at the patio since we could still participate in happy hour without sitting at the bar. The interior decor is contemporary yet cozy. Everything is very clean but something about it just seem homey. For food, we had charcuterie, the pork loin (not pork chop), a hanger steak with frites, and coffee ice cream. All of the food was very flavorful and had a pleasant aroma/appearance. Everything is made "in shop" adding to the unique character of this place.Special Features:
- Nice Madrona restaurantPablitoDined on 7/1/2014This spot has turned over numerous times, but it just hasn't worked in the past. It's been a bit too hip and a bit too expensive, but Red Cow might make it---the menu is interesting and the prices are reasonable. The steak frites are excellent and the wine list is good with reasonable prices. The atmosphere is great---made for Madrona not Capitol Hill.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemWallasweetVIPDined on 6/29/2014The food and steaks, frites and sides were great. The biggest drawback is the uncomfortable seats (sat in the bar) and the noise level. Energetic is not the right word. They need to work on this aspect of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Cow Good!karenDined on 6/28/2014Red Cow does a great bistro meal. We had their black manhattan cocktail, oysters with a glass of bubbly, frisee salad and steak frites, all of which was beautifully prepared and served by a knowledgeable and efficient staff. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- sevrinDined on 6/26/2014This is a carnivore's paradise, leave your inhibitions at the door and just let the waiter decide, you won't be sorry.Special Features:
- Really Solid Neighborhood Spotsep631Dined on 6/25/2014I wouldn't want to go all the way across town for this restaurant as I would for some other ES restaurants but it was super good and I would definitely recommend it. It's only about 7 mins from my house so I expect that I will be going here frequently. The ambiance was perfect for dinner with a good friend and I think it would be perfect for a date too. It was fairly lively but we could definitely hear each other easily too. I got a burger and fries and it was great. We also shared some vegetables, which were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fries were good!!!ShaunaJDined on 6/21/2014Steak was completely unseasoned and not cooked properly. It was really good meat which saved the experience. The fries and steak tartar were delicious!
- k98122VIPDined on 6/18/2014good service, great frites, very loud, small place so make sure you make reservationsSpecial Features:
- Father's DayrbwwsuDined on 6/15/2014We went to Red Cow for Father's Day ( because steak and Fathers go together), the meal was good (not in the class of Staple and Fancey's) I guess we missed the char on the steak ( Red Cow has its own method of preparing the meat) sauces were great, frittes were awesome, salad with egg was great, deserts okay. Some good deals on the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/9/2014It's impossible to hear your dinner mates speaking. They really need some soft surfaces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good times, but loudChrismichaelDined on 6/7/2014Went with a group of 5 for a birthday. Service was excellent. One issue, two ordered the ribeye for two and had to send it back because it was a poor cut of meat. The new piece came back an wasn't much different. Note, the waiter did everything possible to get things right, sounds like an unlucky piece of meat. Cocktails were great, as were the marrow bones and thy oysters were good but not life changing. The fries were amazing. Extremely good. Good place for a nice steak dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKdaveinseaDined on 6/6/2014The steak was poorly cooked, which is disappointing considering it was $35. The fries were great, as well as the salads and the charcuterie board. Cocktails were fresh and fun, but the wine was too warm (stored openly near the kitchen). Cremant was a far superior restaurant when it occupied that space.
- Cannot wait to go backToogoodDined on 6/6/2014Great that they take reservations but we ended up sitting in the bar by choice. The service was extraordinary, we immediately felt like we have Ben going there for years instead of this being our first visit. Everything was excellent, the pace, the food, menu the options but again so much comes back to the serviceSpecial Features:
- Great Food, High DecibalGaisheaDined on 6/5/2014Love the food and service at this Ethan Stowell outpost, BUT the noise level makes it impossible to carry on a conversation unless you sit NEXT TO not across from your companion. I wouldn't not go because of this, but because of this I can't recommend it for a romantic dining experience, nor would I take anyone even slightly hard of hearing. A simple soft wall covering would do the trick and make the whole experience 5 star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.