Red Cedar Grill - Williamston
150 East Grand River Avenue
Williamston, MI 48895Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Red Cedar Grill - Williamston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redcedargrill.com/
- Phone: 5176553766
- Hours of Operation:
Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, & Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Alan Ogard
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Kerry Starzyk 5176553766
A word from Red Cedar Grill - Williamston
The Red Cedar Grill is a contemporary, bright and energetic restaurant serving the very best in American eclectic fare. Our food is fresh, full of bold flavors and eye-catching presentations. Our service staff is attentive, friendly, and eager to make your visit with us a memorable one. Our attention to detail is second to none, making your dining experience with us always satisfying. Our slogan, emphasized in our mission statement and carried out in our restaurants every day, is "Uncommonly Original". We look forward to exceeding your expectations!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Cedar Grill - Williamston reviews from OpenTable diners
- Good and Needs ConsistencyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2013The new items on the menu are interesting. Two individuals in our group had steak and thought it was delicious. One individual had Thai pasta - served luke warm. She sent it back -- the chef warmed it in a hot pan but during the process, the sauce became thicker than it should be -- hence the traditionally good dish was not! Carrot cake was ok -- but more and more frosting and less and less cake. We've always supported the Red Cedar b/c they were one of the only restaurants that were non-smoking long before the MI law was in place. Bravo.Special Features:
- THe food was very good andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2013THe food was very good and the service was excellent as always. I highly recommend the Red Cedar Grill.Special Features:
- DisappointingLovefoodVIPDined on 3/23/2013Pierogi appetizer was bland. Wild boar was dry and lacked flavor. Filet was cooked perfectly but crust needed salt or acid component. Kitchen was struggling and server did not handle well. Overall just very disappointing.Special Features:
- Great dining option in WilliamstonOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013Great service and excellent dinner. Hadn't been there in quite a while, and was pleasantly surprised to see they had updated the menu.Special Features:
- Still As Great As AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/23/2013Have been going here for years, but not frequently since our son used to work here while in college 2000-2003. We were pleased to see that Red Cedar Grill has maintained its excellent food and service. We use it as a halfway place to meet relatives who live in Grand Rapids and we live in suburbs of Detroit. It is a nice place to sit and talk when they are not busy. They are very accommodating and the food is superior. One of us is a very careful and healthy eater and they were able to make changes to her menu choice without seeming to mind at all.Special Features:
- Best food in the area!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2013The food here is absolutely amazing, as are the cocktails. Every time we go we try something new and are blown away. If you're an MSU student this is such a nice change form any of the offerings in EL, do yourself a favor and make the short drive here.Special Features:
- Absolutely recommend! I can'tOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2013Absolutely recommend! I can't think of another restaurant I enjoy more.Special Features:
- Nice ambiance Something different.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2013Our waitress was very nice and attentive. We made reservations and were seated immediately when we arrived. The lighting has a romantic feel to it. The food combinations were well thought out and interesting. My boyfriend had the gumbo and it was delicious. The dinner rolls are ciabatta and not bad, a little plain. We ordered crab cakes which were good. They were a lot more meat than breading which was nice, and the sauce that was on them was very good. I had the Ahi Tuna for dinner. I ordered medium rare and it was cooked a little more than I like but it wasn't bad. The sauce over the tuna was very good, but it was cold. I'm not sure if it was suppose to be cold? My boyfriend had steak. He said it was average. We will return.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience. SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013Wonderful experience. Special appetizer, sauerkraut balls, were out of this world. Drunken Salmon, scallops, also.Special Features:
- Saturday Dinner at Red Cedar GrillBlazenDined on 3/2/2013Had the Duck as it was on the specials Sat. PM (It was one of the best presentations of Duck, I've had to-date "superb"). Others in my party had the Cedar Planked Salmon and were equally impressed. My daughter had the carbonara and loved her dish as well.Special Features:
- This was the first visit thatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2013This was the first visit that my husband and I made after the restaurant made some "updates." The food was good, and they did not take favorites off the menu. There were some side dish additions that we did not try, but we saw some come out of the kitchen, and they looked good. But there were no vegetarian entrees, so no light meals. Our biggest complaint was with the service. We were quickly shown to a table where we were "dropped off" without much welcome, and the server made us feel rushed about selecting appetizers and wine. The entrees arrived well before we were finished with the salad, and were sent back to the kitchen. They arrived again a few minutes later. Just unacceptable.
- We got the calamari and bleuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013We got the calamari and bleu cheese wedge for appetizers. they were great. i had a two hearted ale which was spectacular. i ordered the drunken salmon and my date ordered the roasted chicken. the salmon was amazing, but the chicken was way overdone, tough, and almost inedible. we didn't send it back although i wish we had.... overall a good restaurant but the chicken mess up really affected my experience and why i gave 3 stars instead of 4. also we had a waitress who was very very nice, but could definitely improve on connecting with the table rather than just focusing on making sure we had everything we needed. a bit pre school teacherish... but the service she gave was outstanding.Special Features:
- Coming to Lansing weekly onOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013Coming to Lansing weekly on business for many months, I've become accustomed to bar food & chains being the main dining choices. Until this week when I came across Red Cedar Grill. Ok, it's not exactly in Lansing, but a 15 minute drive that's well worth it. The staff was friendly & their service attentive. Other than the overcooked steak, the experience was surprisingly good. This place would do well in my hometown of Denver, so they should thrive in culinary challenged Mid-Michigan!Special Features:
- excellent. have eaten hereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/12/2013excellent. have eaten here several times and in the west lansing store when it was open. always enjoy the food, the service. little pricey but that's ok to have someplace you save for special nights. any restaurant can turn out decent steak. a good chop is another matter and is my measure of good kitchen. chops done to perfection.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/10/2013It's always a pleasure dining at the Red Cedar Grill.Special Features:
- We used to be regulars atfoodmaven5VIPDined on 2/5/2013We used to be regulars at RCG (going back years) but dialed that back as the menu nad presentations became more pedestrian...it was just an okay place (certainly not bad). With the very recent upgrade of the facility (looks great) and the menu, it's back on our "regular" list. Menu and presentations have really been stepped up...the duck special was very good as was a steak dish. It looks like the competition from Gracie's is having a positive impact!Special Features:
- Was over but very overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2013Was over but very overpriced for the amount of food we got.
- My wife and I had a very pleasantOkemosianDined on 1/26/2013My wife and I had a very pleasant dinner at the Red Cedar Grill. The food and service were both good. There was nothing that was dramatically outstanding, but it was all very good and the atmosphere is comfortable. The only minor complaint would be that the food came too fast. I am sure others like to get done quickly, but we were enjoying a quiet evening and the pacing was quicker than we would have liked.Special Features:
- High hopes for new menu deflatedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/22/2013Red Cedar has had a makeover. New flooring is great over the carpet they had. New tapas items need to be fine tuned. The spinach tapas was swimming in the sauce like a soup. Tasted good, but swimming? Not good. They were out of brussel sprouts. When you launch a new item, HAVE it! Don't run out of it. Run to the store and get more. The server did not tell us about the pasta special. when we discovered ourselves. The chicken carbonara was good but that was on the old menu. We also ordered the gnocchi, new item. Not good. They need to learn how to cook gnocchi. The pasta served to us was in big chunks and heavy with a burnt/bitter taste to it. Gnocchi is light and fluffy pillows of pasta. We've gone here for yrs & very disappointed.
- The restaurant was recentlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/21/2013The restaurant was recently renovated, and the owners have done a great job. The wait staff was very informative about the menu and the food was cooked perfect as described. I will be recommending Red Cedar Grill to my friends and family.Special Features:
- We had a table of 6, and IOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013We had a table of 6, and I think that we all agreed that there could have been some improvements. For example, it would be nice if you offered a variety of salads (all you have is a wedge and Romaine). With those delicious salad dressings you have, I'm sure it would go over well. We also thought that the salads were overpriced for the portion size, and why a la carte? For the price you charge for the entree, we felt it should be included with the meal. I wasn't terribly impressed with my roasted chicken. The chicken was dry, and the sauce was too tight, which contributed to the dry-mouth feel; but the roasted flavor of the chicken was delicious. I also felt that the 3 skinny pieces of asparagus that were served was way too little. We
- quiet place to meetOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/10/2013as always, the Red Cedar Grill was a treat. I love that the atmoshpere is quite and the waitstaff unobtrusive. The wine list isa bit skimpy and they do not carry a wide range of higher end liquor.Special Features:
- We have been to Red CedarOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/5/2013We have been to Red Cedar several times over the years and like it. A wine selection that suits us and the menu offers the right amount of choices at reasonable prices. Service is uniformly good.
- went for New Years Eve - serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/31/2012went for New Years Eve - service was slow to start and the waitress did not seem to know the menu very well (not the usual for this restaurant) but the food is outstanding and we were not in a hurry. The restaurant was busy and still all the entrees were done perfectly and arrived at the table hot. Definitely would recommend this to anyoneSpecial Features:
- A great little spot in Williamston,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2012A great little spot in Williamston, MI. It is a really good value and has a great menu and good chef.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/29/2012Everything was excellent except servers would reach across the table to serve and clear. Servers should serve to the right of the customer and clear from the left, or vice-versa, but don't reach across the table.Special Features:
- Great location in downtownRoddyVIPDined on 12/16/2012Great location in downtown Williamston, but nothing special. Service was frustrating, but adequate in the end.
- The atmosphere is nice andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/14/2012The atmosphere is nice and the food is good, but it is way overpriced.Special Features:
- The server was the starJoyful1VIPDined on 12/13/2012My first dinner here was a mixed-bag of results, food wise. Our server Kayla was great! I would dine here again, but ask more questions about food prep. I refer to a seared tuna steak served with sweet potato whip & asparagus. The tuna was cooked just to my liking, but came with an odd flavored rub on top- which was not mentioned on the menu. I couldn't take more than three bites before I gave up. She offered to replace the dinner and was very sweet. The tuna returned perfectly cooked. The sweet potato whip was steaming hot, usually a sign it was microwaved. The asparagus was perfect. My friend had the mac n' cheese (no meat), and just loved it! App & salads great. The menu is nicely creative. Great martini! Decor is ugly and dated.
- I became a Red Cedar GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/11/2012I became a Red Cedar Grill fan when they had the wisdom to become NON-SMOKING well before the Michigan non-smoking law was enacted. The food is quite good and atmosphere second to none.Special Features:
- This has been a local spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/8/2012This has been a local spot I have always like because unlike other places in town I can hear the people I am with. I how they listen to what people have like as well as try to go a step beyond in customer service.
- We could have not had a betterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/7/2012We could have not had a better experience....the food, the service and the whole atmosphere was inviting, cozy and warm. Our server was Kelly, and she made our experience that much better.Special Features:
- Made for a great evening mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012Made for a great evening meal with our Granddaughter and watching the "Holiday Lights" parade. I particularly enjoyed my meal and my companions said that theirs was excellent as well.Special Features:
- Have had good experiencesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2012Have had good experiences with small and large groups Menu has good selection and prices. Would highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Have been going to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/17/2012Have been going to this restaurant for years and it has really gone downhill recently. We stopped eating there because Gracie's and Tavern 109 were so much better. We couldn't get a reservation at Gracie's and 109 was packed so we decided to give Red Cedar Grille another chance. That was a mistake. Almost 10 minutes before waiter took our drink order, then they brought entrees before our salads that they nickel and dime $4 each for a salad. Don't charge for a salad when you order an entree, increase your entree fee a couple of bucks to cover the salad...very tacky that you charge $4 for the dinner salad. Food was mediocre at best, we will not be back.
- Wonderful experience, attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/10/2012Wonderful experience, attentive staff, wide variety of options. Criticism would be for the spice/heat level, 3 of us enjoyed Red Cedar Grill together and 3 of 4 dishes were too spicy. Plan to review spice levels with server before ordering next time, will definitely return.Special Features:
- WE always enjoy the Red CedarOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2012WE always enjoy the Red Cedar Grill. However, I wish they'd annually change the recipes for their menu items.Special Features:
- We really love the bleu cheeseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/27/2012We really love the bleu cheese burger. Amazing always cooked perfectly medium as requested.Great wine list and offered tasters for beer selection.
- Loved the atmosphere. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/20/2012Loved the atmosphere. We were dining with another couple. Great place for conversation. The food was ok--not great. My husband ordered a pasta dish that was suppose to have a lot of garlic seasoning--it had no garlic flavor. My girlfriend also ordered a pasta and hers was very spicy hot. Never mentioned on the menu. Seems like trying to keep old menu items but not making them as they are advertised. The restaurant has the atmosphere and higher prices for fine dining--food won't bring us back unfortunately.Special Features:
- RCG remains one our mainstayfoodmaven5VIPDined on 10/19/2012RCG remains one our mainstay restaurants in the area. That said, the menu is not very interesting but rahter "homey"--not nearly as upscale/interesting as its nearby competition (Gracie's) Preparation was good although there are some menu items we just don't bother with because they're not great. But, for a steak and some other items, it's still pretty good. We do continue to go back!