227 Tenth Avenue
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theredcat.com/
- Phone: (212) 242-1122
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 12:00pm – 2:30pm
Brunch: Saturday – Sunday: 11:30am – 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Andy Xu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining
- Special Events: What makes The Red Cat so special is that is expertly walks the line between familiar and cutting edge, using innovative American-inspired cuisine and a relaxed atmosphere to set the tone. Whatever the occasion, The Red Cat will always fit the mood.
A word from Red Cat
This Old Chelsea food hall opened in 1999 and is a New York original. The Red Cat's combination of come-as-you-are sensibilities and straightforward, satisfying, and occasionally irreverent cuisine instantly establish the restaurant as a favorite with New York diners. Mike Cooperman runs the kitchen that's become famous for such whimsical creations as Quick Sauté of Zucchini with toasted almonds and pecorino; Scottish Salmon Crudo with sea beans and trout caviar; and Long Island Duck Beast with farro, dates, mascarpone, almonds and madeira. Such dishes only add to the restaurant's mystique as a place for all seasons, styles and spirits. As Frank Bruni wrote in the New York Times "The Red Cat feels vaguely colonial and tavern like, except when it feels downtown-gallery cool, and apart from those moments when it feels modestly and eclectically elegant."Continued
If you are unable to book online, please call us directly and we will do our best to accommodate you.
If you are unable to book online, please call us directly and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Cat reviews from OpenTable diners
230 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (148)fit for foodies (144)special occasion (60)romantic (57)great for lunch (42)hot spot (38)great for brunch (35)notable wine list (35)vibrant bar scene (34)good for groups (20)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Food was ok but environment and company were greatLschwalVIPDined on 11/16/2014The food was inconsistent and overall I would say it was good, not great. However, the service is wonderful, the environment is a nice neighborhood spot, and the cocktails are great. One of my friends actually sent back her rigatoni because she thought it was so bland and asked to have the pizza instead. They failed to put in the new order. The manager handled it exceptionally and they were very sorry. So again, food was not great but the service was wonderful and it really made up for it. The huevos rancheros are really good, pizza and rigatoni were disappointing.Special Features:
- Yum but pricetpetDined on 11/15/2014Creative and delicious dishes and great bartenders. Food is priced a little too high--should be 25% lower.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lively restaurantLizzieDined on 11/15/2014Great service, very lively, and lots of excellent food here, including some vegetarian sides, a few of which make a meal. Everything was very flavorful and well prepared. I found the 2 veggie dishes I had good but overly salty. I found the 2 desserts at our table mind-blowing - the churros and the pistachio ice cream smothered with hot chocolate! A great night out for a birthday celebration. Other guests loved their dishes - pasta and pork chop.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodWsncVIPDined on 11/14/2014We go here every time in NYC and enjoy it every time. Great for after theater. Bar seats are the most funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable- in the best sense of the wordFreelanceChrisDined on 11/13/2014I have loved Red Cat since my first visit there 10 or so years ago. I had a friend visiting from out of town. She was in turn bringing a friend (who I hadn't met) along. I wanted a place with great food but was quiet enough to talk. Red Cat came to mind. Like everyone else I've ever introduced to the Red Cat, they both left very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappointbrooklynconvertDined on 11/12/2014It has been several years since I have been to the Red Cat, loved it then and was happy to enjoy it all over again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/12/2014Have always loved The Red Cat! Great food great ambiance, all-round fabulous restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappointChanelNo5Dined on 11/9/2014First time at The Red Cat for brunch. We were promptly seated (all way back next to kitchen entrance which first irritated me but it turned out fine). Waiter was very attentive even though when we came in the place was buzzing. We had the shrimp tacos and side of herbed fries - both delicious. I had a cocktail which was also very tasty and well mixed. Portions were generous so we skipped dessert. Had coffee which was strong and hot! The noise level was quite high. Overall very nice experience and I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eathappyDined on 11/8/2014service was friendly food was very good , except for the bread it was cold, from the refrigerator and of poor qualitySpecial Features:
- Always reliableAdmiralDined on 11/7/2014The place we always bring out-of-town friends for a great meal with atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary Journey!ZoefoodieVIPDined on 11/6/2014Each dish had its own unique and amazing fusion of flavors. We were recommended by our fabulous waitress the tempura string beans with wasabi dipping sauce for an appetizer and were to DIE for! The stake tartare and seasonal pumpkin salad were delicious! For entrees we all shared bites of the skate, duck, pork chop, and salmon...all melted in your mouth! Can't wait to go back for brunch!Special Features:
- Bad experience with HostessBaddinnerVIPDined on 11/6/2014We got there at 6:15 pm for our 6 pm reservation. The Hostess was very rude to say the least. She gave us the worst table to dine (at the kitchen door) while the restaurant was still empty. The food was horrible: No taste, big quatity, no presentation at all. The Waiter service saved the dinner experience. We will not go back!Special Features:
- Disappointing food/nasty waiteryes2eatDined on 11/5/2014Not the first time I've eaten at Red Cat but definitely the last. Perhaps not fair as all due to the very bad attitude of the waiter. One concrete example was after waiting for more than 20 minutes for an appetizer to arrive for the 3rd person in our party of 4 I asked him where it was and the reply was "I don't cook the soup but I can check". These were out of town guests and frankly I felt embarrassed to have suggested Red Cat. One bad apple can ruin everything and indeed it did.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014I saw this place featured on a food program and had to try it. The food was sensational - be sure to order the tempura beans!Special Features:
- satisfiedPaulVIPDined on 11/2/2014Overall a good experience. Food was nice size not small buy not overwhelming. enjoyed it a lotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencelinrr22Dined on 10/31/2014Went to Red Cat for the first time on a birthday weekend in NY. The reviews were right on. Nice atmosphere, excellent service, and the food was wonderful. We were early, had a drink at the bar, and seated early. Everything met my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Red Cat deliversluv2dineDined on 10/31/2014The Red Cat is a reliable, utterly delicious neighborhood spot for grown-ups. Perfect after an afternoon of gallery hopping. The Autumn Sweater cocktail is yummy. Go!Special Features:
- Always reliableQuentinDined on 10/29/2014Noise level was elevated but one party next to use leaving made it bearable. Food was better than usual and attentive, considerate service made it memorable.Special Features:
- Our Favourite New York RestaurantfoodloversDined on 10/27/2014This was our second visit to Red Cat and it lived up to our expectations brilliantly. We first visited 3 years ago and were very impressed with everything about it, food, service, ambience etc. This time it was every bit as good as we had remembered. We had some truly memorable dishes and the service was superb - helpful and on hand just when we needed it. We love the restaurant and both decided that it was our favourite New York dining experience on both trips!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigTimeFoodieVIPDined on 10/26/2014I was really disappointed. The main course (the salmon) was flavorless. While the appetizer and dessert was great, that's not what I came for. This place use to be awesome and I'm not sure what happened.Special Features:
- Brunch is greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/26/2014Dinner at the cat is very loud. Brunch works beautifully, very tranquil and wonderful menu. Sublime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchFoodieDined on 10/26/2014Brunch selection is great and was not surprised the food tasted just as good as what the presentation was. Desserts were absolutely divine. The pear and cranberry tart and apple crostata were to die for. Wait service was fair but could have been just the individual we had who may have been having a bad day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Night Chaos...SouthboundPigVIPDined on 10/25/2014Some of the food was very good, some was ok, but even though we arrived on the relatively early side, the kitchen was struggling to get food out. We waited over 1h15m for our appetizers and the waitstaff did not seem to think this was an issue. I've always had a good experience at this homey foodie haunt, I'll give the credit that this was just a Saturday night that got away from he kitchen.Special Features:
- food uninteresting waitress moresoYumDCDined on 10/25/2014had an early brunch reservation, first ones to sit down. The waitress couldn't have been more disinterested in service. Everything was slow. People who came in 20-30 minutes after we did and sat in other sections were served food before us. When questioned the waitress implied it was our fault for ordering a salad appetizer and sunny side up eggs for one of the dishes. So, this was complicated for the kitchen and that's why we waited 45 minutes plus for our food? Then when the food did come it was average. Not bad, but not great, and sort of dull. Red cat used to be good, but not anymore.
- Consistently GoodmoderngirlVIPDined on 10/24/2014This is one of my go to neighborhood restaurants for its consistently good food and service. They always make you feel welcome. I request a table in the back becasue it is less noisy than the front lively bar area, particularly if I'm bringing out of town guests. The mix of people is grest too.Special Features:
- Loud, bright and mediocre foodTwiceaweekVIPDined on 10/22/2014Food was just ok. It was super noisy and too bright I felt like I was under a spot light. Not what I was looking for in a romantic evening out.
- All round excellenceCaro76dinesDined on 10/17/2014This restaurant is a gem and is well worth a visit. The Foie Gras terrine was particularly delicious and the tempura green beans were superb having never had this type of bean before as we live in the UK. The service was first class and unobtrusive. We would certainly book this restaurant again when we next visit New York.Special Features:
- GREAT CHELSEA OPTIONrenman1984Dined on 10/17/2014Lively Friday night dinner crowd. Not an extensive menu or wine list, but everything that we had was very good. Recommend the tempura green beans for starters and also the Hake dish. The restaurant is one block from The High Line, so on a nice evening you can walk off the calories, as we did...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JupiterJones37Dined on 10/15/2014The Red Cat is one of my favorite restaurants in New York, and particularly in far-west Chelsea. I have never been disappointed by the food or the service, but always delighted with the subtle touches. It is the perfect place for out-of-town guests to showcase what the city has to offer when you know where to look.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good choicekatebDined on 10/13/2014I really like this place. The menu is varied and tasty, including the drink and wine selections. The staff was attentive, but not overly. I think it's pricey, but probably pretty standard for New York. I know I'm not giving any specifics, but trust me, the Red Cat is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great highline restaurantDavidDined on 10/12/2014Red Cat was able to accommodate a lot of allergies and did so with exceptional food and service. The music was great without taking over and the ambiance generally was wonderful. If walking on the highline or looking for something near-ish to MSG or Penn Station, this is a great place.Special Features:
- Good Energy, Good FoodFilbertVIPDined on 10/11/2014delicious tempura string beans - good roast chicken- but the best part is the service, fun personable staff and upbeat good energy in the room- The restaurant honors reservations - I was there with my roommate from college who lives in Philly, where there are now great delicious boutique restaurants and she loved it and importantly, her 28 year old foodie daughter approved. All age groups seem to enjoy the place- there was a family of three generations next to us and very attractive well dressed 20 and 30 somethings at the bar- i have been to the Red Cat many times and i would absolutely go again and i would recommend it to anyone who wants to be on the west side after walking the high line or shopping in the meat packing neighborbood-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sooooo loudsusieVIPDined on 10/7/2014Great food. Just too loud for comfort. Staff good BUT the gentleman in the suit was beyond pompous!Special Features:
- Random Choice Won RavesIAMultrapickyDined on 10/6/2014I visit NYC once or twice a year and always research where I'll dine very carefully. This year, I narrowed the field to 5-6 choices, but picked Red Cat based on its location relative to my hotel, and its online menu. Checked it out in person the day of my 7th anniversary and it looked great, with friendly front of house staff. Well, happy to report that my instincts were right on, as my celebratory group of 4 truly enjoyed every moment of our evening at the Cat. Each dish was swoon-able; service friendly; wines outstanding; prices in keeping with quality and value. The lamb tartare ! Risotto with dates ! Busy on a Monday night, so be sure to reserve here.Special Features:
- Great BrunchBrunchGuysDined on 10/5/2014All that went into a great brunch was there: Excellent Bloody Mary's, Schmaltz Fried Eggs that included all ingredients required for a brunch tasting menu, nice warm desserts, and exceptional after meal drink list.Special Features:
- Ina was right.ChuckandJoanneDined on 10/4/2014We wanted to try the Red Cat ever since seeing a segment featuring same on Ina Garten's "Barefoot Contessa" show on the Food Network. The fontina cheese in the iron skillet was amazing! We didn't see it on the menu, but our server said that it was on the bar menu. Glad I asked. The rest of the meal was very good. The pistachio semi-fredo was excellent. Ben, our server, was outstanding. He was not only efficient in his service, but was very helpful in his recommendations. We will be back.Special Features:
- Reliable and FunElizabethDined on 9/28/2014Excellent food, decor and service. Sensible noise level. Would definitely recommend and return there. One of our favorite local spots - we live just down the road!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencefattywhitecatDined on 9/27/2014Ordered a bottle of wine and instead they brought 2 glasses and then 2 more which added more than what the cost of the bottle was. Waiter never asked if it was a bottle. Ordered pork which came with corn and ordered a side dish of corn. The waiter never indicated that I would be getting the same side dish twice. Otherwise, great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerMariaUWSDined on 9/26/2014I hadn't been in a few years but decided to suggest it for a friend's birthday dinner. No one was disappointed. Drinks were creative and good, food was delicious, and the decor has held up very well. And the prices were very good for the quality of the food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A True GemmcurryVIPDined on 9/25/2014Red Cat is honestly one of the best places in Manhattan to get phenomenal delicious and innovative food in an unpretentious or overly trendy setting. From the host to the bar to the waitstaff, it's run like a well oiled machine. Truly a lovely dining experience all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.