227 Tenth Avenue
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theredcat.com/
- Phone: 2122421122x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 12:00pm – 2:30pm
Brunch: Saturday – Sunday: 11:30am – 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Andy Xu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining
- Special Events: What makes The Red Cat so special is that is expertly walks the line between familiar and cutting edge, using innovative American-inspired cuisine and a relaxed atmosphere to set the tone. Whatever the occasion, The Red Cat will always fit the mood.
A word from Red Cat
This Old Chelsea food hall is a New York original. The Red Cat's combination of come-as-you-are sensibilities and straightforward, satisfying, and occasionally irreverent cuisine instantly establish the restaurant as a favorite with New York diners. Andy Xu runs the kitchen that's become famous for such whimsical creations as Reuben Wontons with Red Cabbage Slaw and Pan Roasted Cod with Flageolets, Moroccan Olives, Oranges and Basil Oil. Such dishes only add to the restaurant's mystique as a place for all seasons, styles and spirits. As Frank Bruni wrote in the New York Times "The Red Cat feels vaguely colonial and tavern like, except when it feels downtown-gallery cool, and apart from those moments when it feels modestly and eclectically elegant."Continued
If you are unable to book online, please call us directly and we will do our best to accommodate you.
If you are unable to book online, please call us directly and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Cat reviews from OpenTable diners
230 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (149)fit for foodies (130)romantic (66)special occasion (59)great for lunch (51)vibrant bar scene (38)great for brunch (36)notable wine list (28)hot spot (26)good for groups (15)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Reliable and FunElizabethDined on 9/28/2014Excellent food, decor and service. Sensible noise level. Would definitely recommend and return there. One of our favorite local spots - we live just down the road!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Ordered a bottle of wine and instead they brought 2 glasses and then 2 more which added more than what the cost of the bottle was. Waiter never asked if it was a bottle. Ordered pork which came with corn and ordered a side dish of corn. The waiter never indicated that I would be getting the same side dish twice. Otherwise, great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerMariaUWSDined on 9/26/2014I hadn't been in a few years but decided to suggest it for a friend's birthday dinner. No one was disappointed. Drinks were creative and good, food was delicious, and the decor has held up very well. And the prices were very good for the quality of the food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A True GemmcurryVIPDined on 9/25/2014Red Cat is honestly one of the best places in Manhattan to get phenomenal delicious and innovative food in an unpretentious or overly trendy setting. From the host to the bar to the waitstaff, it's run like a well oiled machine. Truly a lovely dining experience all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/25/2014The food, drinks, ambience, and the authentic friendliness all made for a memorable dinining experience. I would not hesitate to return. A great place to eat before going to the theater.Special Features:
- As good as everritabDined on 9/23/2014It's amazing that after all these years The Red Cat never disappoints. It's always busy in a good way, with a lot of energy. The service is pleasant and, despite the busy-ness, not rushed. Good food and good people-watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red CatCharlieDined on 9/23/2014Extremely enjoyable ! Every time I go to the neighborhood gem it continues to surprise me with a great experience. Food is always wonderful. The staff is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chlesea Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/20/2014Last Saturday am my husband and I walked around Chelsea and the high line so I wanted to book something close.This restaurant is literally underneath the 23rd st entrance!The lovely hostess seated us at a window table even though it was for 4.That was very classy and most restaruants won't do it! We had very spicy and well garnished bloody marys which were delicious.The cheese and bacon fritters were the best things I have ever eaten.There are 5 huge ones in the serving so we had 2 each and couldn't eat the last one even though we tried! I had huevos rancheros which was great and my husband had one of his favourite meals ever-the shrimp tacos.The vibe was great and the service was friendly but not intrusive.Loved it and will return!
- favorite place!Mangia17Dined on 9/17/2014Love this neighborhood place! Always great crowd of mixed ages, very tasty food and warm ambiance. We come in from Conn. to celebrate special birthdays and anniversaries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably fantasticOmnivore926Dined on 9/17/2014I've been going to the Red Cat for many years. The food is outstanding and creative and fresh and the ambiance is all purpose. Right for a date, a group of friends, one's parents, and old friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingbonitababeVIPDined on 9/17/2014Our dining experience at Red Cat was outstanding. Our waiter was very knowledgable about the menu and was able to describe and tell us what made each dish unique. Both the salmon and skate were served with crispy skin, and cooked to perfection. The pork was unbelievable, the best we have ever tasted! Everything was delicious from the ravioli and salmon appetizers, to the cauliflower and beet salads, through to the delicious desserts. And oh yes, you must try the tempura green beans for your side dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always specialNickCDined on 9/12/2014There are few restaurants in New York or anywhere else where the food is actually memorable. Red Cat is one of them. The food is always extraordinary yet never pretentious or self-conscious. Just superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinnerHud35Dined on 9/7/2014My husband and I really enjoy this stylish, energetic, fun restaurant. The food is always inventive and delicious. Watermelon and purslane salad, crispy skin salmon with beets and creme fraiche, peach crostada and a tasty daiquiri -- my idea of a fabulous Sunday dinner. We had a terrific waiter, too. . .and the servers were friendly, attentive, and professional. Definitely on our list of favorites when we're in New York.Special Features:
- One of a KindFoodie29VIPDined on 9/5/2014Red Cat survives all the changes in west Chelsea and thrives, packed on a Wednesday evening where I and a guest had a prime table and excellent service. The food was good as usual though not a standout. My Negroni was wonderful. For years now Red Cat has been the pride of the neighborhood. Take a guest or give yourself a treat.Special Features:
- Delicious DinnerBenniehanaDined on 9/1/2014I enjoyed dinner with a friend Monday at Red Cat and the food was fantastic. The subtly flavorful lamb tartar was followed by an inventive combination of beets and salmon. It was all finished up with a pistachio semmifreddo worth its weight in gold. A little loud at times and the booth-y atmosphere might not be for everyone but those with their noses in the air will miss out. Casual but excellent dinning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd visit disappointingRedhead2405Dined on 8/31/2014We are on our 3rd visit to Manhattan and were very much looking forward to our 3rd visit to The Red Cat. Sadly our experience did not match previous visits. Our waitress was surly and lacked interest and the food was also below par. The chicken liver parfait was not fully set and was sent back to the kitchen once we could get the attention of a staff member.Special Features:
- Worth a trip to Chelsealuv2travelDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I had an enjoyable meal at Red Cat. She had the local skate, heirloom tomatoes, and pistachio semifreddo for dessert (excellent), while I had Atlantic hake (not crazy about succotash), Bibb lettuce salad, and gianduja for dessert (not as good as my wife's). The highlight was light tempora of green beans, the only way to have your green beans. The meal was not inexpensive but worth the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & serviceSAL1VIPDined on 8/30/2014Vegetables from the vegetable menu were awesome -- like just picked that afternoon. Service is exceptional - friendly but professional & wine knowledgable. Plan to return whenever we are in the neighborhood.
- We LOVE the red cat!ArrowmanDined on 8/26/2014We live in So. California and travel to New York once or twice a year. We always try to eat dinner at the Red Cat! We walk on the High Line, and then dine. We LOVE the tempura grean beans, and the white gaspacho!Special Features:
- Nice End to the DayJimiDined on 8/24/2014We saw good reviews and decided to give Red Cat a try after our walk on the Highline. What a nice surprise! The food was seasonal, fresh, and delicious. Our wait staff couldn't have been nicer. All in all, we had a wonderful dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, hidden findHeheDined on 8/24/2014I guess it won't be hidden after this but....nestled downstairs in a brownstone between 22nd and 23rd Street, one could easily pass it by. Don't. It's a lovely, exposed-brick design that feels warm and cozy. The wait staff is highly attentive but not intrusive. My shrimp tacos were great, and my friend's watermelon salad looked enticing. The bathroom is clean and lovely. What more can you ask?Special Features:
- nice small restaurantbriaaDined on 8/23/2014we were a group of 5 and had a very nice experience there. it has the feeling of a small neighborhood restaurant. we enjoyed a drink at the bar and then had a good meal. three of us ordered the scallop special and while it was very good we all felt like we could have eaten a portion twice as large. the bib lettuce salad was good except the cherries (which we thought would be fresh cherries) were clearly pickled or seasoned in such a way that they had a very strong and unpleasant taste to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentdoggydognycDined on 8/19/2014In many restaurants today, the appetizers outshine the entrees. At redcat, the delicate appetizers are a perfect warmup to perfect prepared meats, fish and pastas - Pork chop was a standout, perfectly juicy chicken, excellent tilefish... and dont miss the friesSpecial Features:
- Cozy & charming with fabulous foodChocolatedivaDined on 8/19/2014Lunch was imaginative and delicious. My salad was a combination of fresh vegetables and ripe, delicious fruit with dressing that complemented the ingredients. I had the best, freshest bibb lettuce and goat cheese salad with cherries and a roasted lemon vinaigrette. My friends were very happy with grilled chicken topped with salad and heirloom tomato salad. We shared green beans in a very light tempura with an amazing mustard dipping sauce. We were very happy and can't wait to return to Red Cat for lunch, dinner or brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always love coming hereFeasterVIPDined on 8/18/2014I always eat too much but am always satisfied. Those tempura green beans are still the best.Special Features:
- The Worst Service ExperienceJohnnyCVIPDined on 8/17/2014I have been to the RC many many times. This was the worst service I have ever had. We had to flag our waiter at least 6 times through the course of the meal. It was as if we were not there or invisible we had to ask him to take our dinner order. We ordered wine with dinner. He brought the glasses and we selected the wine, but he never returned to pour the wine for us. At one point even he admitted his service was terrible and apologized. This was inconsistent with the RC. But it needs to be mentioned. I don't know if they were short staffed on Sunday. It was not a good experience
- Lovely eveningfromLondontoNYCDined on 8/16/2014We had a great evening at The Red Cat. Service was great, not pushy. They provided great food recommendations, and were very helpful with all of our questions. We weren't rushed, and will definitely return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/16/2014Red Cat continues to not disappoint!!! Food was delicious. I had the oysters then skate - yum! Potatoe mash was delish. I've been eating here for 10+ years and have no plans to stop.Special Features:
- MKL1883Dined on 8/15/2014Enjoyed a wonderful anniversary dinner with my fiance at Red Cat. Service was absolutely outstanding and the food was excellent. It's a beautiful space - great for couples or a group. And I really just cannot say enough about the service. All of the waiters, bartenders and hostesses were terrific. A very special place that I plan on going back to, and suggesting all friends and family go as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything Done RightdgalefDined on 8/15/2014We came for the Restaurant Week specials, unsure what to expect, and were quite pleasantly surprised. The drinks were imaginative and potent--never had a white Negroni--and the service was attentive without being obsequious. Though we arrived early, we were ushered to a table as soon as one became available. Though the restaurant was clearly quite busy, our waiter gave us prompt attention. The filet mignon steak tartare was succulent; the bluefish one of the best pieces I've had in years. The yogurt panna cotta was refreshingly tart. I intend to come back here.Special Features:
- Neighborhood FavoriteJetPilotNYCVIPDined on 8/15/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in Chelsea. It was a hot spot with a consistent, inventive chef well before the Highline sprung up out front. Standards like zucchini with fresh pecorino outshine it's seemingly simple ingredients. My Restaurant Week bluefish was perfectly cooked and generously portioned. The exquisite ice cream sandwich again impressed despite its simple name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was really goodLiznhutchDined on 8/14/2014We went for lunch and ate odd the restaurant week menu. The food was really good and our waiter was super nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BonnieVIPDined on 8/13/2014First time at Red Cat for lunch, usually it's dinner. Lovely summer lunch menu, the freshest ingredients presented artistically. Everyone seems to know how good dinner is here; lunch should be added to anyone's list.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommend Red CatBayRidgeGirlVIPDined on 8/8/2014Went to Red Cat for restaurant week. I ordered off the restaurant week menu (corn soup, blue fish, cherry ice cream sandwich). All courses were fantastic. My date ordered off the regular menu and had the Cavatelli app, pork chop main. He loved the cavatelli but though the pork was seasoned nicely the piece of meat he got was a bit too fatty, may also have been due to ordering it done medium per the chef's recommenation. Aside from that the dish was great. The service was great all around. Very attentive staff from the sommelier to the manager to the hostess, bread guy etc.he sommelier in training/hostess were friendly welcoming and offered some great tips on the wine menu without pressure to buy. cocktails/wine list superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodyVIPDined on 8/8/2014Great food and service. Our waiter was outstanding, terrific personality, knowledgeable and very friendly!Special Features:
- TommyChardonnayVIPDined on 8/7/2014Appealing menu on the whole, with specials that will catch your ear. My party went with the restaurant week menu and all were pleased, especially with the cherry vanilla ice cream sandwich- Ben and Jerry can't touch that. Wine list is also very approachable with regards to both price and variety. I would definitely recommend to visitors and New Yorkers alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RW LunchGeordyVIPDined on 8/7/2014Had a lovely meal yet again. Good choices on menu..started with the filet mignon tartare, was a bit surprised when ii arrived because I read tartare but was thinking carpacchio! Have ever only had beef tartare in Europe, nicely spiced and tasty for first USA tartare! Next was beautifully prepamed blue fish with good mashed potatoes and succotash. The dessert, cherry vanilla ice cream sandwich, was simply divine..only sorry I could not finish! Wish there was a Red Cat type place on the UES!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableMle642Dined on 8/4/2014We had the Restaurant Week menu and drinks. Good cocktails. Food was well prepared and tasty but not amazing hence 4 stars. Service was cordial and well paced.
- Delightful experiencepetite4Dined on 8/4/2014It has been some years since I ate at the Red Cat but it remains as excellent a dining experience as I remembered. Ate during Restaurant Week and truly enjoyed the chilled corn soup and the blue fish. Attentive service and quiet room make it a terrific spot for a business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceMmaflVIPDined on 8/2/2014Went for the first time. The only criticism was that the service was a little rushed and the noise level was high. Food was fabulous, staff was great. Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.