227 Tenth Avenue
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theredcat.com/
- Phone: 2122421122x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 12:00pm – 2:30pm
Brunch: Saturday – Sunday: 11:30am – 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Andy Xu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining
- Special Events: What makes The Red Cat so special is that is expertly walks the line between familiar and cutting edge, using innovative American-inspired cuisine and a relaxed atmosphere to set the tone. Whatever the occasion, The Red Cat will always fit the mood.
A word from Red Cat
This Old Chelsea food hall is a New York original. The Red Cat's combination of come-as-you-are sensibilities and straightforward, satisfying, and occasionally irreverent cuisine instantly establish the restaurant as a favorite with New York diners. Andy Xu runs the kitchen that's become famous for such whimsical creations as Reuben Wontons with Red Cabbage Slaw and Pan Roasted Cod with Flageolets, Moroccan Olives, Oranges and Basil Oil. Such dishes only add to the restaurant's mystique as a place for all seasons, styles and spirits. As Frank Bruni wrote in the New York Times "The Red Cat feels vaguely colonial and tavern like, except when it feels downtown-gallery cool, and apart from those moments when it feels modestly and eclectically elegant."Continued
If you are unable to book online, please call us directly and we will do our best to accommodate you.
If you are unable to book online, please call us directly and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Cat reviews from OpenTable diners
265 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (161)fit for foodies (133)romantic (71)special occasion (66)great for lunch (52)great for brunch (46)vibrant bar scene (38)notable wine list (30)hot spot (24)good for groups (21)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Nice End to the DayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014We saw good reviews and decided to give Red Cat a try after our walk on the Highline. What a nice surprise! The food was seasonal, fresh, and delicious. Our wait staff couldn't have been nicer. All in all, we had a wonderful dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, hidden findHeheDined on 8/24/2014I guess it won't be hidden after this but....nestled downstairs in a brownstone between 22nd and 23rd Street, one could easily pass it by. Don't. It's a lovely, exposed-brick design that feels warm and cozy. The wait staff is highly attentive but not intrusive. My shrimp tacos were great, and my friend's watermelon salad looked enticing. The bathroom is clean and lovely. What more can you ask?Special Features:
- nice small restaurantbriaaDined on 8/23/2014we were a group of 5 and had a very nice experience there. it has the feeling of a small neighborhood restaurant. we enjoyed a drink at the bar and then had a good meal. three of us ordered the scallop special and while it was very good we all felt like we could have eaten a portion twice as large. the bib lettuce salad was good except the cherries (which we thought would be fresh cherries) were clearly pickled or seasoned in such a way that they had a very strong and unpleasant taste to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentdoggydognycDined on 8/19/2014In many restaurants today, the appetizers outshine the entrees. At redcat, the delicate appetizers are a perfect warmup to perfect prepared meats, fish and pastas - Pork chop was a standout, perfectly juicy chicken, excellent tilefish... and dont miss the friesSpecial Features:
- Cozy & charming with fabulous foodChocolatedivaDined on 8/19/2014Lunch was imaginative and delicious. My salad was a combination of fresh vegetables and ripe, delicious fruit with dressing that complemented the ingredients. I had the best, freshest bibb lettuce and goat cheese salad with cherries and a roasted lemon vinaigrette. My friends were very happy with grilled chicken topped with salad and heirloom tomato salad. We shared green beans in a very light tempura with an amazing mustard dipping sauce. We were very happy and can't wait to return to Red Cat for lunch, dinner or brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always love coming hereFeasterVIPDined on 8/18/2014I always eat too much but am always satisfied. Those tempura green beans are still the best.Special Features:
- The Worst Service ExperienceJohnnyCVIPDined on 8/17/2014I have been to the RC many many times. This was the worst service I have ever had. We had to flag our waiter at least 6 times through the course of the meal. It was as if we were not there or invisible we had to ask him to take our dinner order. We ordered wine with dinner. He brought the glasses and we selected the wine, but he never returned to pour the wine for us. At one point even he admitted his service was terrible and apologized. This was inconsistent with the RC. But it needs to be mentioned. I don't know if they were short staffed on Sunday. It was not a good experience
- Lovely eveningfromLondontoNYCDined on 8/16/2014We had a great evening at The Red Cat. Service was great, not pushy. They provided great food recommendations, and were very helpful with all of our questions. We weren't rushed, and will definitely return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/16/2014Red Cat continues to not disappoint!!! Food was delicious. I had the oysters then skate - yum! Potatoe mash was delish. I've been eating here for 10+ years and have no plans to stop.Special Features:
- MKL1883Dined on 8/15/2014Enjoyed a wonderful anniversary dinner with my fiance at Red Cat. Service was absolutely outstanding and the food was excellent. It's a beautiful space - great for couples or a group. And I really just cannot say enough about the service. All of the waiters, bartenders and hostesses were terrific. A very special place that I plan on going back to, and suggesting all friends and family go as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything Done RightdgalefDined on 8/15/2014We came for the Restaurant Week specials, unsure what to expect, and were quite pleasantly surprised. The drinks were imaginative and potent--never had a white Negroni--and the service was attentive without being obsequious. Though we arrived early, we were ushered to a table as soon as one became available. Though the restaurant was clearly quite busy, our waiter gave us prompt attention. The filet mignon steak tartare was succulent; the bluefish one of the best pieces I've had in years. The yogurt panna cotta was refreshingly tart. I intend to come back here.Special Features:
- Neighborhood FavoriteJetPilotNYCVIPDined on 8/15/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in Chelsea. It was a hot spot with a consistent, inventive chef well before the Highline sprung up out front. Standards like zucchini with fresh pecorino outshine it's seemingly simple ingredients. My Restaurant Week bluefish was perfectly cooked and generously portioned. The exquisite ice cream sandwich again impressed despite its simple name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was really goodLiznhutchDined on 8/14/2014We went for lunch and ate odd the restaurant week menu. The food was really good and our waiter was super nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BonnieVIPDined on 8/13/2014First time at Red Cat for lunch, usually it's dinner. Lovely summer lunch menu, the freshest ingredients presented artistically. Everyone seems to know how good dinner is here; lunch should be added to anyone's list.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommend Red CatBayRidgeGirlVIPDined on 8/8/2014Went to Red Cat for restaurant week. I ordered off the restaurant week menu (corn soup, blue fish, cherry ice cream sandwich). All courses were fantastic. My date ordered off the regular menu and had the Cavatelli app, pork chop main. He loved the cavatelli but though the pork was seasoned nicely the piece of meat he got was a bit too fatty, may also have been due to ordering it done medium per the chef's recommenation. Aside from that the dish was great. The service was great all around. Very attentive staff from the sommelier to the manager to the hostess, bread guy etc.he sommelier in training/hostess were friendly welcoming and offered some great tips on the wine menu without pressure to buy. cocktails/wine list superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodyVIPDined on 8/8/2014Great food and service. Our waiter was outstanding, terrific personality, knowledgeable and very friendly!Special Features:
- TommyChardonnayVIPDined on 8/7/2014Appealing menu on the whole, with specials that will catch your ear. My party went with the restaurant week menu and all were pleased, especially with the cherry vanilla ice cream sandwich- Ben and Jerry can't touch that. Wine list is also very approachable with regards to both price and variety. I would definitely recommend to visitors and New Yorkers alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RW LunchGeordyVIPDined on 8/7/2014Had a lovely meal yet again. Good choices on menu..started with the filet mignon tartare, was a bit surprised when ii arrived because I read tartare but was thinking carpacchio! Have ever only had beef tartare in Europe, nicely spiced and tasty for first USA tartare! Next was beautifully prepamed blue fish with good mashed potatoes and succotash. The dessert, cherry vanilla ice cream sandwich, was simply divine..only sorry I could not finish! Wish there was a Red Cat type place on the UES!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant week lunchFoodlover40VIPDined on 8/6/2014After a walk on the Highline, my friend and I lunched at The Red Cat. It was a very enjoyable meal. Really nice service, delicious cocktails and great food. We both had their signature appetizer , the sautéed zucchini with almonds and Parmesan shavings. For entree, we both had the pork tacos. The meat was a speck dry but really tasty. We both took one taco home. Dessert was a choice of a yoghurt pane cotta or a strawberry ice cream sandwhich. We had one of each and tasted both. The ice cream was a little too sweet for me, but if loved the other. Would definitely dine there again!Special Features:
- EnjoyableMle642Dined on 8/4/2014We had the Restaurant Week menu and drinks. Good cocktails. Food was well prepared and tasty but not amazing hence 4 stars. Service was cordial and well paced.
- Delightful experiencepetite4Dined on 8/4/2014It has been some years since I ate at the Red Cat but it remains as excellent a dining experience as I remembered. Ate during Restaurant Week and truly enjoyed the chilled corn soup and the blue fish. Attentive service and quiet room make it a terrific spot for a business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceMmaflVIPDined on 8/2/2014Went for the first time. The only criticism was that the service was a little rushed and the noise level was high. Food was fabulous, staff was great. Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodie in ChelseacvillefoodieDined on 8/1/2014Ate here during restaurant week but opted to order off the regular menu. The zucchini appetizer was different and delicious. Steak was amazing but a little over cooked. The tempura green beans are a must if you dine here. Enjoyed this restaurant because they serve dishes that I can't make myself. Wait staff was on efficient and very knowledge about the food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Cat was a winnerUnnamedDinerNo8Dined on 8/1/2014I went during Restaurant Week but would definitely go back. It looks like they try to do different things with their food and the wait staff was excellent. A great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing exciting aboutNYCdinerDined on 8/1/2014Everything is so so, not as good as before. We ordered from both the Restaurant Week specials and the regular menu. Food is very ordinary, presentation is better than diner food. But taste is not, for most dished. There are very few exceptionally dishes. Not worth a special trip.
- UnderwhelmingFoodie13VIPDined on 7/31/2014Went for restaurant week, but ended up ordering from regular menu since the RW menu didn't look so good. There were four of us, with each ordering different app, entrees and desserts. We all thought it was just ok and a bit underwhelming given the rave reviews.
- Wonderful Dinner!CarolDined on 7/30/2014The Red Cat's cozy dining room is lively, yet quiet enough for conversation. The service is warm and attentive and the food is terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy.Good inconsistentJanDVIPDined on 7/29/2014Two of us had restaurant week specials. The apps and desserts were very good but the chicken salad was dry and tasteless. The maître d offered to replace them. We declined so $20 was taken off the bill. The 2 a la carte dishes were good. But it's too noisy there.
- Working LunchLeighAnnDined on 7/28/2014Great for a working lunch! Food and service was exceptional and managed to eat a 3-course lunch (restaurant week menu) in under an hour.Special Features:
- High point of the high lineauntyfascistVIPDined on 7/27/2014Gracious. Warm. And every dish had an "aha" this is beyond good first bite.. They know food, they know service, they know their wines. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of my favoritesHenriettaDined on 7/26/2014Service is excellent and food is delicious. unusual plates and combos that are always a hit. Love those greenbeans!Special Features:
- LHWHDined on 7/26/2014Red Cat was a very pleasant & delicious experience. Our waiter was knowledgeable and very accommodating!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2014enjoyed the lunch. didn't go for the bloody mary thoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite Restaurant in the CityclrhoVIPDined on 7/23/2014I have been coming to Red Cat now for over three years. Every time I come to New York, I make it a point to reserve a table. This place has a fantastic wait staff with full knowledge of the food and wine. You will not go wrong by coming to dine here for any occasion. Bon appetite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service but LOUD!!SkyronDined on 7/23/2014Had dinner here. Food is terrific (corn soup, fluke appetizer, bluefish and salmon were standouts). But dessert was so so--we had the Cherries Garcia ice cream sandwich--only modest flavor, especially the chocolate cookie, but the fresh cherry & hot fudge garnish were great-should have been the whole dessert! Service was excellent--our server was enthusiastic and knowledgeable, though it was busy and she sometimes did not appear as quickly as we'd have liked. Decor is fun with art on the walls and old-style gas lamp heads as overhead lights. As other note, the tables are a bit too close together & the banquettes too soft (so you sink a bit). Worst is the noise. It's painfully loud when the place is full--they really should add dampers!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious MealCorrierDined on 7/23/2014The fish and soup were unique and inspired. Thoroughly enjoyed the gourmet lunch.Special Features:
- Excellent foodPeterfoodieDined on 7/22/2014Good to find a place with creative but excellent food combinations, not heavy and blend well together. Excellent friendly service and none of the typical American pushiness. Only downside is the noise level but that seems typical in any place in NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best neighborhhod spot EVER!JohnslistDined on 7/22/2014Not that Red Cat isn't also a great destination spot. Always reliable, excellent food and very hospitable staff. Can't say enough good things about this place.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wellford muses about the red cat...wellfordDined on 7/22/2014The food was good and the menu was inventive but $11 for a glass of wine was a bit mean. In honor of restaurant week perhaps an appropriate discount on the wine selection would be welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to the High lineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014Their restaurant week menu was excellent and gave a good intro to the rest of their menu. For that reason I would go back. Our goal was to spend time on the High line and visit galleries and the restaurant is perfectly situated. The service was wonderful and didn't discriminate against us even tho we were there for the special restaurant week menu.Special Features: