Red Canoe Bistro
398 John Street
Burlington, ON L7R 2K4Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: CAN$51 and over
Red Canoe Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redcanoebistro.com/
- Phone: 9056179407
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Tobias Pohl-Weary
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Chef and Owner Tobias Pohl-Weary brings 20 years of experience to off-site event catering. His professional staff and skill, organization and spectacular cuisine will bring a new dimension to off-site boutique style event catering. Red Canoe Bistro will take your event from "Idea to Reality". With proven success in catering events from 8 to 1000 guests. Our meticulously planned cocktail parties, banquets and multiple course feasts are perfect for any event. We can assist with staffing, rentals, decor, location sourcing, transportation and more. Let us help you build your next event.
- Private Party Facilities: Red Canoe Bistro has downtown Burlington's finest event facilities. We make intimate gatherings memorable, meetings flawless and parties spectacular. Our private room is licensed for over 70 guests. Your space will have its own private bar and a separate entrance. Red Canoe Bistro can easily accommodate gatherings in excess of 100 people. Perfect for : Birthdays - Business - Weddings - Meeting - Networking - Engagements - Conferences - Anniversaries
- Private Party Contact: Tobias Pohl-Weary 9056179407
- Entertainment: We feature regular special wine and food events including our "After work wine school" and winemakers dinners. As well on occasion, we will feature a local performing musician.
- Cross Street: Lakeshore
- Public Transit: A city bus terminal is located a 2 minute walk to the north.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is street parking in front of the business. Free after 6:00 pm. There are 2 large lots within a 1 minute walk. The hotel to the south offers parking for a minimal fee as does the city lot to the north.
A word from Red Canoe Bistro
"MODERN CANADIAN CUISINE" Red Canoe Bistro is serving fresh, flavourful, exciting and innovative Modern Canadian Cuisine. Our focus is on regional Canadian ingredients that combine classical techniques with current concepts. Our fantastic seasonally influenced menus will highlight Canada's farmers, fishers and producers while supporting Canada's cultural mosaic and its rich ethnic cuisines. As nightly specials we will also feature multiple course tasting menus exploring ingredients like the fruits of Niagara, wild edibles or local game meats. We have two warm and inviting licensed dining rooms with space for private parties, events and meetings of over 70 guests. We also bring over 25 years of collective experience to off-site event catering.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Red Canoe Bistro - Best Restaurants in Burlington ›
Red Canoe Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (16)neighborhood gem (11)notable wine list (11)special occasion (10)great for lunch (7)romantic (7)good for groups (3)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Amazing chefJillDined on 8/26/2014I have never had a bad experience here. We love starting with the shared app for two, which is the chefs choice of 5 small apps. They are always unique dishes with loads of flavour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014After viewing their menu online, which certainly looked intriguing, and noting the Wine Spectator awards, I thought we would give Red Canoe a try. The food was good, but not particularly memorable, which I was kind of expecting given the prices. The food presentation was certainly gourmet. If only the flavours were as interesting.
- Enjoyed our visitOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014We had a great time and plan to return. Each course was excellent, and our waiter had an amazing knowledge of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing neighborhood find.Siggi905Dined on 8/6/2014This place is amazing I've been there twice and so have my parents we both enjoyed the food the ambience and the service very much. Amen the bartender is also great and Tobias is a genius in the kitchen, all raw and locally sourced food. Great spot.Special Features:
- great time at red canoe bistrostalli0nDined on 7/29/2014Enjoyed a wonderful lunch at Red Canoe Bistro. We both tried the 'taste of Burlington' featured menu, and our meals were incredible. I would highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definite RecommendationNotaFoodiebutDined on 7/26/2014The meal was excellent. The wine was very good. There were four of us and we all thoroughly enjoyed our evening (which is no simple task).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but Verrry slow KitchenFurbyVIPDined on 7/25/2014Food was good with Salazpacho a creative combination of Gazpacho and a stuffed tomato, beef short rib you could cut with a spoon and nice trout filet, although it did have a very smokey taste which I'm not sure was meant to be. Server was attentive and knowledgeable but unfortunately our experience was ruined by the extreme slowness of the kitchen. It should not take 1/2 hour to get soup when you are the first two diners in the restaurant for day to order or 1 hour for entrees. Based on previous review the speed of service or lack thereof is not a new phenomenon. Ambience is primarily tables all lined up in a row which, if the restaurant was full, could make for a very uncomfortable dining experience.
- A DisapointmentPellerDined on 7/22/2014Having been to the Red Canoe a number of times, I have always been pleased. My recent lunch was totally unacceptable. We waited more than 30 minutes for our first course. The duck in the main course was so over cooked it was inedible. The 'chilled' dessert was was warm. We spoke to the chef/owner who admitted the duck was over cooked. No apology was given, just excuses. I insisted we be given a discounted price. After some time, he agreed to a modest reduction, stating that we were already getting it for half price. I don't plan on attending this restaurant again. In fact. I cancelled a reservation for 4 I had for the next week.
- Gourmet AppetizersBurlingtonDined on 7/16/2014The appetizers were delicious and a feast for the senses. We rated them five stars in taste and presentation. We therefore felt certain dinner would be magnificent but it was rather disappointing. We had the beef. The ambience is simple with chairs and bench seating. Extra cushions are provided for low back support on the bench. The service, while warm and attentive, was unusually slow in terms of food preparation. We waited well over half an hour for our appetizers and at least another 40 + minutes after that before dinner arrived. There were a total of 12 patrons in the restaurant and one server. The service issue was clearly in the kitchen as our waitress was attentive as she could be. We would return for the appetizers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- favourite restaurant in burlington!Lakeshorelovers2014Dined on 7/5/2014Delicious food, offer "Canadian" local fare, (we had starter salads & trout, then mains smoked salmon. Attentive service. This place is about the food, large varied wine list, Eamon the wine steward was especially friendly, knowledgeable, shared some interesting wine tips about Niagara and other wine regions. Eamon offered, with advance notice, to arrange to prepare a special meal if we wanted to bring along our niece's champagne. The only place I would unreservedly recommend to friends or family for a restaurant treat. Bill for 2 with a bottle of wine, starters, mains & a desert was less than $200. WORTH IT.Special Features:
- great food. extremely slow service.mcmugDined on 7/3/2014Had lunch there during a weekday for party of two. there was only one other table (2) at the restaurant during the whole time we were there...yet it took over 35mins for our food to arrive. food was pretty good overall - comfort food with a bit of flare. you can tell most of the items were made from scratch. With the price point they are at, we expect better service and slightly better ambiance.Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodFoodie5Dined on 6/6/2014This place seems to have it all, great food, attentive staff and a great atmosphere. It's also too not loud or dark. We enjoyed the shared starter display with scallops, trout and also enjoyed the escargot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 105 reviews are from the Red Canoe Bistro reviews archive.
- As always First RateJayVeeDined on 5/22/2014Tasting menu was great. Each item come out as a surprise. The wine pairings were perfect.Special Features:
- Best in BurlingtonJillDined on 5/16/2014This is a great spot to let the enjoy all the creative creations by the chef. I always try new things cooked with local food and fall in love. Staff is also great!Special Features:
- Great Find for Mother's Day brunchBelluzVIPDined on 5/11/2014The food is consistently very good and made to order for brunch. We have been here for dinner before, this was the first time for lunch/brunch and we all were impressed. There were vegan /vegetarian choices.Special Features:
- Very enjoyableJaneDined on 5/9/2014We tried out this restaurant based on the description on the website and were even more pleased when we arrived. The atmosphere was great, the food delicious and the wine that was recommended did not disappoint. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodluvgoodfoodDined on 4/12/2014the food was excellent. The service was fantastic but it was a little cramped not much room to even move your chair back. We had a group of women beside us and because I am a woman I can say they were too loud!! Aside from that I would definately recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steer your taste buds to deliciousFoodologistDined on 3/15/2014It was a phenomenal experience. The best part is they change their menu every week depending on what ingredients are in season. Which takes "farm-to-table" to a new level. Fresh food, romantic atmosphere and excellent service. Many different wines to choose from and THEY HAVE A CHOCOLATE MENU! Be prepared for a three digit bill- with that being said, its worth it! Cant wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding food and serviceosfanDined on 3/8/2014By far the best meal I've had at Red Canoe, both in terms of quality of food and attentiveness and service of the staff. It's been over a year between visits, it'll MUCH less till the next one.Special Features:
- FebruaryFebruaryDined on 2/24/2014This is the second visit and unfortunately, as much as we loved the homemade, right from scratch dishes, the service was too slow. We were the only ones in the restaurant, even the 2nd time around, right at 11:30 am (reservations were made through this site but they weren't even aware of them, and in the comments I informed them we'd be in a bit of a rush), and the waitress kept returning to our table excusing the chef as he was the only one in the kitchen, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food- lrge Canadian Wine listBelluzVIPDined on 2/22/2014Food was extremely good, not rushed through dinner which made the meal even more enjoyable. Staff knowledgeable regarding wine selections. Wine list a little daunting a large selection of mainly Canadian wines. My preference is a wine list by $ amount theirs is by type, with such a large list we found ourselves flipping back and forth between pages. Would good back and recommend.Special Features:
- "Tasty" Taste of Burlington LunchDundasJenDined on 2/20/2014I took my friend from Oakville during Taste of Burlington who had not been to Red Canoe before and we enjoyed a delicious lunch! Tobias creates unique combinations of tasty, healthy foods. They have a great selection of local craft beer and wines as well. Make sure you don't miss the opportunity to try their Taste of Burlington menu....and then return for many more delicious meals!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not cheap but very good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Not cheap but very good food. We have been told the menu changes frequently which is terrific.Special Features:
- A night to rememberMericolDined on 2/14/2014We went to this lovely little bistro and enjoyed their Valentine's tasting menu. The food was fresh and prepared with a master's touch. The portions were just right and by the end of the night we could not have eaten another bite. Well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014In few words, definitely above average in all aspects but not an exceptional experience that worth paying 250 + tips (dinner for 2, 7 services with pairing local ok wines).
- Great Food, but SlowBigFoodieDined on 1/20/2014I have been to Red Canoe twice in as many months. The food, craft cocktails and wine list are consistently good. The ambiance is low key, but warm. My big complaint is that both times the pace of the service was very slow. I was out for a nice meal and not expecting to be in and out in 40 minutes, but the meal did seem to drag. I will go back, but I would be more likely to go on a weekend rather than a weeknight when I am more in the mood for a 2.5 hour meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's EvefoodieDined on 12/31/2013Our evening was fantastic. The food was spectacular. The chef did a wonderful job with the price fixe menu. The wine pairing was perfect. We couldn't have had a better evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/20/2013The venison was wonderful. The staff were attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food, But No AmbienceFoodHeadDined on 11/29/2013This was our first time at Red Canoe. We tried the Tasting Menu which was innovative, and each course was amazing. The wine pairings were also excellent. The oysters to start we're fresh and perfectly seasoned. Other courses included a beef course; it was very tasty as was the rest of the meal. The wait staff were friendly...perhaps overly chatty. The restaurant was very chilly - I wore my scarf the whole night, but the real missing ingredient was ambience. For the price, I expect great food AND wonderful atmosphere. RedCanoe delivers on the first, but gets a failing grade on the second. I would only recommend this spot to someone who cares only about food and not the whole experience.Special Features:
- Our First Time..We'll Be Going Backthehappy4someDined on 11/28/2013Excellent food, large variety with some very unique choices, beautifully arranged on the plates. Very leisurely pace by the knowledgeable server; who ably described all food ingredients and wine pairings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red CanoeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2013The food at the RC was very good as was the service. I'm afraid the ambience left us wanting, as it is very plain and highly lit. The music played at the bar was a little loud for conversation.
- Great Food; Mediocre ServiceDineoutDined on 10/23/2013We went with high expectations, but there were disappointments. We had 1-3/4 hours for dinner as we had a show to go to, and we told our server our time limitation. It took 1/2 an hour before cocktail orders were taken, and another 15 minutes before our dinner orders were taken, and there was only a total of 7 patrons in the restaurant. While our server was friendly and explained the menu in great detail; it took equally as long at the other table, leaving large amounts of time where there was no attention. We ended up rushing through dinner with no time left for coffee, or desert. The menu is exciting and the food was food delicious - that exceeded our expectations, however, the service & atmosphere are mediocre given the prices.Special Features:
- Love this place. Food is alwaysDdebruinDined on 10/11/2013Love this place. Food is always amazing. Incredible wines. It's a little gem of a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food,but.....raddocVIPDined on 8/26/2013Superb fresh innovative food. Good and knowledgeable wait staff. On 2 visits here we waited too long for food-once for reservation mix-up and once for large party upstairs. These problems were explained to us but they could have been more forthcoming wrt a complimentary glass of wine or dessert.Special Features:
- Disappointing visitHazeDined on 8/21/2013I've always had high praise for this establishment but this time not so much. Slow service was the main culprit, but the menu & food weren't as stellar as in the past. It took ages to see any food. We should have been told that Poutine takes time when ordering. We also had a long wait for dessert which I found odd since the restaurant had emptied. As we finished our desserts they turned the lights up as if to say that they wanted to close. To me that was just rude. Although they say they are happy to accommodate special food needs not much was offered to accommodate my gluten free request. Swordfish was my only choice. In the future I'll phone ahead to ask what's on the menu as the choices weren't to our liking. I'd say more if I could.Special Features:
- But Why's It Called The Red Canoe?pitapDined on 8/17/2013Good, but lacks polish. Seared Scallops were delicious bites with a spicy punch. Lobster Avocado Forme was really just a bland guacamole. Bison entrée was excellent, potato/cauliflower Dauphinois crisp and creamy. The rib eye was delicious, but a bit chewy (the cut and not the cooking). However, the "crispy" homemade onion rings were soggy due to steak on top. Dessert was lovely, berry sabayon. Unfortunately, the yappy server dropped a glass AND a pop can of didn't even apologize when it sprayed all over us! Overall ambience is ok, but there's too much plywood and no personality. Where's the red canoe? Would go back as the Chef is putting forth a good effort, but prices should be lower per plate and service improved.I would recommend this to a friend.
- loud & coldXorbDined on 8/16/2013Although the food was great, overall the experience was only ok. AC was way too cold, music was very loud & not suitable for the environment, hard to hear our conversations. Servers were not very attentive & the main course took over an hour to arrive & some meals were not very warm. For the prices I would expect better.Special Features:
- Food great, restaurant tired.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2013The food was really good. We all had the trout and it was wonderful as were the appetizers and deserts. The restaurant on the other hand was not special and a bit tired from the entrance through to the seating area. There was also a lot of cooking smoke in the air that was not being vented. Too bad since the food was very good.Special Features:
- Food was very good staff seemedGoodfunDined on 7/30/2013Food was very good staff seemed overwhelmed as it was busy took a very long time to get served Place looked a little jaded could do with a good clean
- Wrong to reserveFAMishedDined on 7/19/2013Made reservations online through Open Table but the restaurant had no record of it despite me receiving a reminder notice by e-mail!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.