328 West 12th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.recettenyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 414-3000
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:30 pm
Friday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
Sunday: 11 am - 3 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jesse Schenker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: If you have your own location in mind, the Recette team is available to bring our incredible food experience directly to you. We will recreate the same restaurant-caliber food bursting with unique flavor profiles and unexpected combinations, all presented in the clean style that is Recette.
Chef Jesse Schenker is also available for Private or In-Home Dining.
To discuss all the possibilities, please contact Lisa Mazy at 212 414 3000 or email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: We offer the possibility of exclusive use of the Recette dining room, seven days a week. Our intimate restaurant can accommodate up to 40 guests for a seated meal. We will work within your parameters to create an unforgettable event, be it a bridal shower or a corporate luncheon. To discuss availability and pricing, please contact Lisa Mazy at
212 414 3000 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Contact: Lisa Mazy 2124143000x
- Cross Street: Greenwich St.
- Public Transit: The 1, 2, 3, A, C and E trains stop at West 14th Street.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking can usually be found on street in the neighborhood. There is a parking lot across Greenwich Street and one on West 11th Street between Greenwich and Washington Streets.
A word from Recette
Conceptualized as an outgrowth, and a home for Chef Jesse Schenker and Pastry Chef Christina Lee’s Recette Private Dining “underground” supper clubs, “Recette”(recipe in French) pushes boundaries by offering the food demanded in a fine dining experience, but in a warm, welcoming atmosphere. Recette is an urban American restaurant that marries traditional and progressive techniques, while manipulating ingredients and temperature to create maximum flavor. We honor the ingredients by refusing to use anything but the best. We adjust the menu seasonally to highlight the availability of these but quality, freshness and consistency in this always remains paramount. The sophisticated yet approachable menu is designed so that diners can order just as they please. With the option to participate in one of three tasting menu options or order from the playful menu of inspired snacks and plates, diners have the ability to customize their Recette experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Recette reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (64)neighborhood gem (49)romantic (38)special occasion (30)notable wine list (13)hot spot (11)great for brunch (8)good for groups (6)late-night find (5)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- F ScottFScottDined on 11/21/2014A friend had highly recommended this restaurant so we were looking forward to it. We had a table booked at 8.15pm but as other reviewers have experienced, we were not shown to our table until 40 mins later. The table we were given was in a lovely position in the corner of the restaurant so we were relieved to finally sit down to being our meal. Yet the windows did not close properly so we had to sit there in a cold draught with our coats on. The staff did try and close it but it was broken. The food sounded intriguing and interesting but in reality it was just very salty. The choice of reasonably priced wines is limited but extensive if you want to spend over $150. A disappointment to say the least.Special Features:
- Loved the five course tasting menu..OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/16/2014It was divine. The chef sent out three different courses at each interval for the three of us, so it was like tasting the while menu! I loved everything about this place, except for the strange inclusion of 70s rock music. It was distracting and really affected my lasting impression of the evening. It seemed about of sync with everything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- definitely recommend!opentablebritVIPDined on 11/14/2014Easily and highly recommend this place. Interesting menu, excellent service and a perfect evening. Will be going back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the "go back to" listalexDined on 11/7/2014Wonderful evening experience. Can say nothing negative.Special Features:
- Bustling foodie gemLoveNYCVIPDined on 10/30/2014We picked Recette because we were hoping for truffles, but they had run out by the time we got there (which was admittedly a little on the late side for a weeknight). The place is pretty small, so we ended up getting drinks and sort of hanging out by the door trying to stay out of the way until our table was ready. The bar was packed, but with people eating dinner, not just drinking, so there was no room there. The service was really friendly and they ended up putting the two of us in a largish table with decent space from the other diners, so that was a nice surprise. The food was inventive and delightful. It's a busy, bustling place with a nice buzz to it.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2014Ambiance was a bit plain..but that put the focus even more fully on the food.I had the tasting menu and so did my wife. With the ability to customize between the two of us we got to sample many dishes. I have to say each one was a pleasant surprise and I found myself looking forward to what was next. Plan on going back and bringing freindsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find!Chickenlover1Dined on 10/28/2014My husband and I heard and interview on NPR with the chef and decided to try the restaurant. We had a great meal, wonderful service and fell in love with the place!Special Features:
- A solid addition to the W. VillageOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014I ate at Recette recently with three friends and, despite a few shortcomings, had a very pleasant experience. Do not come to Recette hungry as portions are small (modern tapas concept). Of course if you want to order 3-4 you'll be just fine! The food was above par with highlights including seared foie gras and the s'mores desert (do not skip this). Service was overall very good as our waitress brought compimentary desert for the table. However, two of my friends ordered the truffle pasta special and when the bill came it turned out it was $80 for a very small portion. Clearly truffle pasta is expensive, however it would have been nice for her to have told us the price considering everything else on the menu was under $30.Special Features:
- Interesting, Vibrant FoodDaleWDined on 10/5/2014We visited on a quiet Sunday evening. Service was attentive and informative, and they had nice stems (after inquiring about the corkage I had brought wine from a sentimental year, they were great about- sometimes restaurants charge a corkage fee then have an attitude- none here). I'd say my standout dishes were the bacalhau fritters on lamb sausage ragu, the langostines and fried tete de veau with lemon verbena flan, and spaghetti with shrimp in a light/spicy tomato sauce. Every dish had some delicious and unusual accents- uni, trout roe, fried prawn heads, bottarga, etc. There was nothing I wouldn't order again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecetteKImberDined on 9/24/2014Lovely atmosphere, but minuscule portions for the price.Special Features:
- Love great food!LoveGreatFoodVIPDined on 9/24/2014Disappointing. Tilefish was over salted, cauliflower ravioli had too many tastes, salt cod fritters didn't mix well with other ingredients. Highlight was the cheese plate. Service was excellent! Wines by the glass also very nice.
- Awesome west village spotAmazzVIPDined on 9/19/2014Amazing. The food was great. Went with girlfriends and it was the perfect spot to catch up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet jewelEattcVIPDined on 9/11/2014Close quarters yes. But some really delicious treats like the uni and hamachi and prawn crudo. Some pitch perfect execution like the lamb and tilefish. This is food worthy of a spacious uptown food palace presented in a cozy down to earth bistro. It is not a low cost option but it is a bargain compared to the top flight temples of gastronomy it matches and on occasion beats.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodVeryimpressedDined on 9/8/2014We had the 7 course menu. Each course was delicious and beautifully presented. Staff were attentive and accommodating. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- run2eatVIPDined on 9/5/2014Everything my friend had was too salty and my beef cheek had no flavor at all. Corn bisque was good though.
- Surprising meuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/3/2014Wonderful food and service. Music in dining room was annoying and loud and took away from the ambiance. I don't mean the music chef was listening to in kitchen. I mean what was pumped into the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aug. 29, 2014BurGindyWineDined on 8/29/2014Our 2nd time there & it did not disappoint!! The Chef's creativity is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good in theoryfoodie85Dined on 8/22/2014The restaurant is in a great location, has nice ambience, etc. None of this mattered however because every single plate we ordered had way too much salt in it (this is a small plates restaurant so we ordered about 12). It was incredible how much salt was used in everything, leading me to believe souschef didn't have taste buds. Thought this was a big fail in my opinion.
- DeliciousTooBooKoo42Dined on 8/9/2014If your looking for a restaurant that is romantic in that West Village kind of way this is a great call. The food is delicious also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyMRBranVIPDined on 8/2/2014Opted for the tasting menu. The food was good but I was unable to finish food due to an allergy issue. Waitress was very attentive. I would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 897 reviews are from the Recette reviews archive.
- Good option but...LuisangelmxDined on 7/28/2014Recette is a nice place, easy to find, good location. Menu is really good and delicious the 7 course tasting is a good option to feel what is Recette. The problem is that if the palce is to full capacity ( people ) the service is not really good, they run and run, and pass a lot of time without a new plate in your table. Cpuld be nice if they could to have more personal in cusine and in the restaurant.Special Features:
- an uneven eveningBourbon92VIPDined on 7/28/2014I had eaten in this space, the former Jarnac, and had found it romantic and slightly formal. Recette offers even better food, with imaginative and well-executed dishes, but where service and ambiance are concerned, it suffers by comparison with Jarnac. Our servers were frenetic, abrupt, and pushy. They detracted from the experience. The restaurant packs its tables too closely (the space is small) and consequently, accidents happen. There were two cringe-worthy such collisions during our recent meal, both of which could have been avoided or at least handled smoothly, but seeing how the waitstaff moved about, the scene felt like a roller derby. Even the most delicious meals lose their savor when they are served without grace.Special Features:
- Yummy - the place for real foodiesSuzieDined on 7/27/2014Wonderful eating experience. We opted for the 7 course tasting menu. We didn't consider the plate size small, considering you are eating 7 courses, and we were full by the end. Each course was wonderful. Creative cooking and blending tastes and textures together. We sat at the bar and had the pleasure of Chef Audrey serving our dinner. Audrey is the kind of chef you want to meet if you love food, her and Jesse have done wonders with the menu and there is a selection of small plates to meet everyone's tastes. If you are not in food, big taste, and have no adventure, then don't bother going, this is place for people who truly appreciate and understand what you can do by having the right ingredients on a plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Plates, First RateWestVillageLocalDined on 7/22/2014Though the service seemed inexperienced, the small plates and country French menu were first rate. Potentially a local gem.Special Features:
- excellent once againOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/21/2014Another excellent meal at Recette. Good menu-choices, good service, good food/wine, very good all around. Want to go back soon and try chef's-choice tasting menu, since we know whatever the kitchen sends will be wonderful.Special Features:
- Fancy spot in WVillMr124Dined on 7/19/2014The restaurant is fancy but has a warm feeling to it. Tasting menu of 5 dishes or 3 a la carte dishes is the perfect amount of food. My favorite dishes were the cod fritters and tile fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialKokomonutDined on 7/18/2014It was my friend's 30th birthday and Recette treated us fantastically. The tasting menu was A+ taking into considerations all of our likes, allergies, etc. The service was A+ - our waitress was energetic and yet respectful of our space and time. There were some dishes I will never forget, but mostly it was a birthday to remember all of which can be attributed to the well roundedness of this amazing restaurant.Special Features:
- Interesting food- good foodie eatsgoodeatsDined on 7/11/2014The food is delicious but the portions are so small that ordering one plate is generally not enough and this makes the restaurant very costly! Missing the warmth of the previous restaurant, Jarnac, at the same location. Nice touch was that because the service was very slow, a complimentary desert was offered. Desserts were delicious. Duck fat potatoes were amazing. Duck was best ever albeit not a big enough portion to warrant the charge.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/8/2014Interesting and varied menu. Moderately priced for area; food quality and preparation are very good to excellent. Servers knowledgeable about menu and are appropriate, not effusive or phony. Complaints about portion size in other reviews seem unfounded. 3 small plates a la carte is a meal. The 5 course tasting menu is a lot of food, unless you were planning to come here the night before the marathon to carbo load. Don't see anything to complain about.Special Features:
- Great PairingsFoodieVIPDined on 7/6/2014My Husband and I dined here July 4th weekend. It was Sunday and not crowded at all. Our server was Kristen and she was a delight. Very knowledgeable about the menu and an overall pleasure. My husband had the lamb and I chose the Tilefish. Kristen informed me that they were out of tilefish and had to substitute it with Branzino. I was not disappointed. It was delicious. The tempura asparagus was a pleasant surprise. As a complimentary dessert we were treated to the deconstructed s'mores. Delicious. The hint of cayenne gave it a nice kick. In addition, a must try is the chocolate cake with habenero. Although spicy, the cake was super moist and the pepper gave it a nice contrast. Overall, a very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing tasting menuNerdyGalDined on 6/30/2014I went to Recette specifically for the highly rated tasting menu. I was not disappointed. Each course was unique with flavour, texture and colour combinations to dazzle and amaze. The paired wines were excellent. This meal was a highlight of our trip to New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go-to CasualAnthonyVIPDined on 6/24/2014For those who like small plates this is a great addition to the Lower West Side. Anyone looking for large plates overflowing with food so you can take half of it home this is not for you. Every dish is carefully prepared for dining pleasure and flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as expectedbklyndinerVIPDined on 6/19/2014My husband and I dined at Recette this past Thursday, to celebrate our anniversary. Dinner was delicious as always. We shared a number of dishes. We began with the cod fritters (yum), followed by the arugula salad, also lovely. We then had the beef carpaccio, the only dish that I did not love. The buratta overwhelmed the beef a bit too much. We then had the spaghetti, which was outstanding, followed by the duck breast, also wonderful. We also ordered the duck fat potatoes with the duck breast - a little overkill, but they were terrific. We then ordered the peach semifreddo, but were also served the s'mores as well. We were so full that we weren't able to eat all of the desserts but they were delicious. It was a memorable dinner.Special Features:
- Great flavors but...downtowndinerVIPDined on 6/17/2014Loved the look of this place as soon as we walked in -- small, intimate, lovely. The menu looked ambitious, but really good. The problem began with the server -- nice but not knowledgeable, given the level of the food. The food itself was good (sometimes great) but the portions were crazy small (they recommend that you need 3 courses to "experience" the menu, but you likely need 4 courses to get full -- and that's if you're a Euro-diner.) The flavors were good, the dishes ambitious, if not always well executed. Skip the desserts -- they are unremarkable. And don't be afraid to ask how much the specials cost -- we had a precious-sized portion of gorgeous homemade spaghetti for $60 and didn't find out until we received the check.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/14/2014Now that the chef Jesse has moved on to his new enterprise--The Gander---I can assume fans of this exceptional restaurant that the quality of the food contines on the hightest of levels for nyc. Please continue to patronize you will not be sorry...a wonderful evening all the way around....the food is fantastic.Special Features:
- Romantic SpotJosephVIPDined on 6/14/2014Celebrating my 7 year wedding anniversity. We arrived at 5:30 and tried the $40 menu for one each and it was a terrific. A great way to sample the terrific food from a great chef. The service was very good also. This is our second time at this restaurant and we definitely plan on coming back.Special Features:
- Special energyJmdineDined on 6/7/2014We went here for an intimate, special occasion dinner bc we didn't want a showy place that was overdone. Recette was perfect. There is a lot of energy to the place but it was also elegant and soulful. Our server clearly loves working there and loved the food she served us. It was a lovely, fun night with wonderful food and a great vibe. Five-course tasting menu is fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousNOLAEaterDined on 6/3/2014Can't be happier with my decision for a 7-course chef's tasting menu. Bravo to the Recette chefs and serivce staff.Special Features:
- Wonderful local gemHappy2dineVIPDined on 6/2/2014Every time we come to the big city, this restaurant is on my list as a must go to! Always wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/1/2014PB&J Pain Perdue was pretty good, but skimpy on the PB and overcooked on the edges. Excellent service. Nice, quiet atmosphere for brunch.Special Features: