328 West 12th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.recettenyc.com/
- Phone: 2124143000x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:30 pm
Friday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
Sunday: 11 am - 3 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jesse Schenker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: If you have your own location in mind, the Recette team is available to bring our incredible food experience directly to you. We will recreate the same restaurant-caliber food bursting with unique flavor profiles and unexpected combinations, all presented in the clean style that is Recette.
Chef Jesse Schenker is also available for Private or In-Home Dining.
To discuss all the possibilities, please contact Lisa Mazy at 212 414 3000 or email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: We offer the possibility of exclusive use of the Recette dining room, seven days a week. Our intimate restaurant can accommodate up to 40 guests for a seated meal. We will work within your parameters to create an unforgettable event, be it a bridal shower or a corporate luncheon. To discuss availability and pricing, please contact Lisa Mazy at
212 414 3000 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Contact: Lisa Mazy 2124143000x
- Cross Street: Greenwich St.
- Public Transit: The 1, 2, 3, A, C and E trains stop at West 14th Street.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking can usually be found on street in the neighborhood. There is a parking lot across Greenwich Street and one on West 11th Street between Greenwich and Washington Streets.
A word from Recette
Conceptualized as an outgrowth, and a home for Chef Jesse Schenker and Pastry Chef Christina Lee’s Recette Private Dining “underground” supper clubs, “Recette”(recipe in French) pushes boundaries by offering the food demanded in a fine dining experience, but in a warm, welcoming atmosphere. Recette is an urban American restaurant that marries traditional and progressive techniques, while manipulating ingredients and temperature to create maximum flavor. We honor the ingredients by refusing to use anything but the best. We adjust the menu seasonally to highlight the availability of these but quality, freshness and consistency in this always remains paramount. The sophisticated yet approachable menu is designed so that diners can order just as they please. With the option to participate in one of three tasting menu options or order from the playful menu of inspired snacks and plates, diners have the ability to customize their Recette experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Recette reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (56)neighborhood gem (47)special occasion (35)romantic (33)great for brunch (17)notable wine list (13)hot spot (7)great for lunch (6)good for groups (6)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Quiet jewelEattcVIPDined on 9/11/2014Close quarters yes. But some really delicious treats like the uni and hamachi and prawn crudo. Some pitch perfect execution like the lamb and tilefish. This is food worthy of a spacious uptown food palace presented in a cozy down to earth bistro. It is not a low cost option but it is a bargain compared to the top flight temples of gastronomy it matches and on occasion beats.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodVeryimpressedDined on 9/8/2014We had the 7 course menu. Each course was delicious and beautifully presented. Staff were attentive and accommodating. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- run2eatVIPDined on 9/5/2014Everything my friend had was too salty and my beef cheek had no flavor at all. Corn bisque was good though.
- Surprising meuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/3/2014Wonderful food and service. Music in dining room was annoying and loud and took away from the ambiance. I don't mean the music chef was listening to in kitchen. I mean what was pumped into the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aug. 29, 2014BurGindyWineDined on 8/29/2014Our 2nd time there & it did not disappoint!! The Chef's creativity is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good in theoryfoodie85Dined on 8/22/2014The restaurant is in a great location, has nice ambience, etc. None of this mattered however because every single plate we ordered had way too much salt in it (this is a small plates restaurant so we ordered about 12). It was incredible how much salt was used in everything, leading me to believe souschef didn't have taste buds. Thought this was a big fail in my opinion.
- DeliciousTooBooKoo42Dined on 8/9/2014If your looking for a restaurant that is romantic in that West Village kind of way this is a great call. The food is delicious also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/2/2014Opted for the tasting menu. The food was good but I was unable to finish food due to an allergy issue. Waitress was very attentive. I would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good option but...LuisangelmxDined on 7/28/2014Recette is a nice place, easy to find, good location. Menu is really good and delicious the 7 course tasting is a good option to feel what is Recette. The problem is that if the palce is to full capacity ( people ) the service is not really good, they run and run, and pass a lot of time without a new plate in your table. Cpuld be nice if they could to have more personal in cusine and in the restaurant.Special Features:
- an uneven eveningBourbon92VIPDined on 7/28/2014I had eaten in this space, the former Jarnac, and had found it romantic and slightly formal. Recette offers even better food, with imaginative and well-executed dishes, but where service and ambiance are concerned, it suffers by comparison with Jarnac. Our servers were frenetic, abrupt, and pushy. They detracted from the experience. The restaurant packs its tables too closely (the space is small) and consequently, accidents happen. There were two cringe-worthy such collisions during our recent meal, both of which could have been avoided or at least handled smoothly, but seeing how the waitstaff moved about, the scene felt like a roller derby. Even the most delicious meals lose their savor when they are served without grace.Special Features:
- Yummy - the place for real foodiesSuzieDined on 7/27/2014Wonderful eating experience. We opted for the 7 course tasting menu. We didn't consider the plate size small, considering you are eating 7 courses, and we were full by the end. Each course was wonderful. Creative cooking and blending tastes and textures together. We sat at the bar and had the pleasure of Chef Audrey serving our dinner. Audrey is the kind of chef you want to meet if you love food, her and Jesse have done wonders with the menu and there is a selection of small plates to meet everyone's tastes. If you are not in food, big taste, and have no adventure, then don't bother going, this is place for people who truly appreciate and understand what you can do by having the right ingredients on a plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Plates, First RateWestVillageLocalDined on 7/22/2014Though the service seemed inexperienced, the small plates and country French menu were first rate. Potentially a local gem.Special Features:
- excellent once againOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/21/2014Another excellent meal at Recette. Good menu-choices, good service, good food/wine, very good all around. Want to go back soon and try chef's-choice tasting menu, since we know whatever the kitchen sends will be wonderful.Special Features:
- Fancy spot in WVillMr124Dined on 7/19/2014The restaurant is fancy but has a warm feeling to it. Tasting menu of 5 dishes or 3 a la carte dishes is the perfect amount of food. My favorite dishes were the cod fritters and tile fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialKokomonutDined on 7/18/2014It was my friend's 30th birthday and Recette treated us fantastically. The tasting menu was A+ taking into considerations all of our likes, allergies, etc. The service was A+ - our waitress was energetic and yet respectful of our space and time. There were some dishes I will never forget, but mostly it was a birthday to remember all of which can be attributed to the well roundedness of this amazing restaurant.Special Features:
- Interesting food- good foodie eatsgoodeatsDined on 7/11/2014The food is delicious but the portions are so small that ordering one plate is generally not enough and this makes the restaurant very costly! Missing the warmth of the previous restaurant, Jarnac, at the same location. Nice touch was that because the service was very slow, a complimentary desert was offered. Desserts were delicious. Duck fat potatoes were amazing. Duck was best ever albeit not a big enough portion to warrant the charge.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/8/2014Interesting and varied menu. Moderately priced for area; food quality and preparation are very good to excellent. Servers knowledgeable about menu and are appropriate, not effusive or phony. Complaints about portion size in other reviews seem unfounded. 3 small plates a la carte is a meal. The 5 course tasting menu is a lot of food, unless you were planning to come here the night before the marathon to carbo load. Don't see anything to complain about.Special Features:
- Great PairingsFoodieVIPDined on 7/6/2014My Husband and I dined here July 4th weekend. It was Sunday and not crowded at all. Our server was Kristen and she was a delight. Very knowledgeable about the menu and an overall pleasure. My husband had the lamb and I chose the Tilefish. Kristen informed me that they were out of tilefish and had to substitute it with Branzino. I was not disappointed. It was delicious. The tempura asparagus was a pleasant surprise. As a complimentary dessert we were treated to the deconstructed s'mores. Delicious. The hint of cayenne gave it a nice kick. In addition, a must try is the chocolate cake with habenero. Although spicy, the cake was super moist and the pepper gave it a nice contrast. Overall, a very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing tasting menuNerdyGalDined on 6/30/2014I went to Recette specifically for the highly rated tasting menu. I was not disappointed. Each course was unique with flavour, texture and colour combinations to dazzle and amaze. The paired wines were excellent. This meal was a highlight of our trip to New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go-to CasualAnthonyVIPDined on 6/24/2014For those who like small plates this is a great addition to the Lower West Side. Anyone looking for large plates overflowing with food so you can take half of it home this is not for you. Every dish is carefully prepared for dining pleasure and flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as expectedbklyndinerVIPDined on 6/19/2014My husband and I dined at Recette this past Thursday, to celebrate our anniversary. Dinner was delicious as always. We shared a number of dishes. We began with the cod fritters (yum), followed by the arugula salad, also lovely. We then had the beef carpaccio, the only dish that I did not love. The buratta overwhelmed the beef a bit too much. We then had the spaghetti, which was outstanding, followed by the duck breast, also wonderful. We also ordered the duck fat potatoes with the duck breast - a little overkill, but they were terrific. We then ordered the peach semifreddo, but were also served the s'mores as well. We were so full that we weren't able to eat all of the desserts but they were delicious. It was a memorable dinner.Special Features:
- Great flavors but...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/17/2014Loved the look of this place as soon as we walked in -- small, intimate, lovely. The menu looked ambitious, but really good. The problem began with the server -- nice but not knowledgeable, given the level of the food. The food itself was good (sometimes great) but the portions were crazy small (they recommend that you need 3 courses to "experience" the menu, but you likely need 4 courses to get full -- and that's if you're a Euro-diner.) The flavors were good, the dishes ambitious, if not always well executed. Skip the desserts -- they are unremarkable. And don't be afraid to ask how much the specials cost -- we had a precious-sized portion of gorgeous homemade spaghetti for $60 and didn't find out until we received the check.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/14/2014Now that the chef Jesse has moved on to his new enterprise--The Gander---I can assume fans of this exceptional restaurant that the quality of the food contines on the hightest of levels for nyc. Please continue to patronize you will not be sorry...a wonderful evening all the way around....the food is fantastic.Special Features:
- Romantic SpotJosephVIPDined on 6/14/2014Celebrating my 7 year wedding anniversity. We arrived at 5:30 and tried the $40 menu for one each and it was a terrific. A great way to sample the terrific food from a great chef. The service was very good also. This is our second time at this restaurant and we definitely plan on coming back.Special Features:
- Special energyJmdineDined on 6/7/2014We went here for an intimate, special occasion dinner bc we didn't want a showy place that was overdone. Recette was perfect. There is a lot of energy to the place but it was also elegant and soulful. Our server clearly loves working there and loved the food she served us. It was a lovely, fun night with wonderful food and a great vibe. Five-course tasting menu is fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousNOLAEaterDined on 6/3/2014Can't be happier with my decision for a 7-course chef's tasting menu. Bravo to the Recette chefs and serivce staff.Special Features:
- Wonderful local gemHappy2dineVIPDined on 6/2/2014Every time we come to the big city, this restaurant is on my list as a must go to! Always wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/1/2014PB&J Pain Perdue was pretty good, but skimpy on the PB and overcooked on the edges. Excellent service. Nice, quiet atmosphere for brunch.Special Features:
- wonderfulartandliesDined on 5/31/2014My husband, children and myself visited Recette while on holiday in NYC. It came recommended by a friend! We ordered the Chef's 7 course tasting menu. Wow, it was fabulous. I loved the intimate size and great service all around. I would recommend it for an intimate, awesome meal. If you want action and "vibe" head to Buddakan.Special Features:
- Tasting menu-pricey but worth it!ybbaDined on 5/31/2014Although the tasting menu is pricey, it is well worth it. Chef is creative, offering vibrant combinations of flavors. Chef selects the courses but clearly the wait staff was listening to our preferences and passing them along. We were in no hurry and wait staff was attentive but didn't rush us. Restaurant is smaller than I expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quintessential West VillageOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 5/31/2014Recette is a quintessential NYC restaurant: intimate in size and service, serious about the food and wine, service that is the right balance of knowledgable & attentive without being the least bit overbearing and for a music lover like me, a great soundtrack. Jesse has made sure that everything is as it should be. Waundering through the West Village is one of the delights of New York and Recette is part of that charm. This is a neighborhood gem that welcomes everyone as if you were a local. My favorite meal, and I've been several times, is just saying 'I'll take the tasting menu and the chef can do as he pleases'. That's always the perfect order. The wine list is a wonderful accompaniment, but I also take advantage of the $25 corkage fee.Special Features:
- Put down the phone and cookCWrightVIPDined on 5/30/2014The reviews were great and our expectations high. Unfortunately we were very disappointed. Just another mediocre spot in Manhattan. We had the 7 course of which the first 4 basically just reused the same ingredients. Salt was overwhelming until we asked for them to go easy. Pasta was very undercooked, scallops were undercooked. Flavor profiles were interesting and nice, but the execution and over seasoning destroyed that profile. The duck breast was beautiful but unfortunately the salt returned and ruined the perfectly cooked breast. It might help if the chef would spend less time texting and more time paying attention to the details. Yes, I saw him texting all night long.
- continues to be excellentFredDined on 5/26/2014Everything at Recette continues to be excellent across the board--food, wine, service, atmosphere. They're as on their game today as they were when they first opened.Special Features:
- Great BrunchWestVillageEaterVIPDined on 5/25/2014We had the kobe sliders and the grilled chorizo with cheese grits. Both were delicious. We're going back for dinner on Wednesday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a pleasuremanhattanVIPDined on 5/24/2014It's always a pleasure to eat here. The food is good, the service is accommodating and cheerful, the room has a great ambiance. Although it's noisy, it's not impossible. It all adds up to the convivial sort of experience you want to have but don't always. I had an arugula salad, very good if slightly oversalted, and a special of roasted foie gras, heavenly albeit tiny. The fingering potatoes were a little overdone and oversalted but still had their usual additive pull. The roasted spring vegetables were very good. The restaurant used to be open for lunch, which was great. Sunlight flooded into the room.
- The following 870 reviews are from the Recette reviews archive.
- Amazing food23skadooDined on 5/10/2014My husband and I had an inspired dinner at Recette Saturday night. We got the 7 course tasting menu (the 5 would have been fulfilling as well). From the first course to dessert, each tasting was exceptional. The hamachi was to die for, scallops were scrumptous, still thinking about the beef carpaccio. The dessert was a take on smores, but with a surprising spicy kick. Honestly, food-wise we can't remember a more consistently good meal. This is the restaurant we are taking my foodie sister-in-law to, without question. We know she will be impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvelous tasting menuTJreviewDined on 5/7/2014A lovely setting, among the beautiful streets and buildings of the West Village. A lovely interior, quiet, calm, intimate, well-lighted. Pleasant, attentive servers. And now for the food: ten delectable courses, heavy on fish but rising to a zenith of foie gras and pork belly (I might have reversed the menu, light to heavy). Otherwise, a wonderful night out graced by friendly people and marvelous food.Special Features:
- Third timeIzzoDined on 4/29/2014This is the third time in 3 weeks that I ate at Recette. Each time I found the food very interesting besides tasting good. I just wish they would stop playing music. The restaurant is small and the music just adds to the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemNyerVIPDined on 4/27/2014Recette falls into the category of a wonderful restaurant that is no longer hot and that is unfortunate. The food is creative and wonderfully rendered, the service is extremely attentive and the wine list, although a bit quirky, contains interesting wines at every price level. Why people seek out what is "hot" as opposed to terrific restaurants that continue to please over time baffles me.Special Features:
- SaltyDavidbVIPDined on 4/27/2014Brunch menu was inventive with some interesting choices, but much of the food -- particularly the "braise of the day" -- was overly salted. The home fries were a mush, no crispness at all -- in fact, no real texture. On the other hand, the service was very pleasant.