4907 N College Ave
Indianapolis, IN 46205Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.recessindy.com/
- Phone: (317) 925-7529
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Greg Hardesty
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
- Special Events: Call (317) 925-7529 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
A word from Recess
Recess is the ultimate culinary playground. Every day chef Greg Hardesty and his culinary team create a four-course pre-fixe dinner from scratch, using for inspiration the season’s freshest local and regional ingredients. Please check our website each day for the menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Recess - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
Recess reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (64)special occasion (57)notable wine list (35)neighborhood gem (34)romantic (21)hot spot (12)good for groups (7)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- RecessOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/19/2014I wish the ambiance matched the excellent food. Portion size is good. Wait staff helpful but not hovering. Highly recommend for food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2014We had such a great evening! The service was great, and made it a very memorable experience for us.Special Features:
- Vegetarians bewareOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014You must make your reservations two weeks in advance for Recess, however, you do not know the menu until that day. The main course was ribeye; I do not eat red meat. They were not very helpful, serving me a piece of chicken instead, despite my telling them I am not a big fan. When you are paying over $100 per person, I don't want chicken, honestly. The server never checked back to see if this was okay. I ended up giving the whole plate to my husband. Food is excellent, but in this day and age, it is a shame to be so inhospitable to people with food restrictions.
- Everything was Awesome!!!MikkiDined on 10/25/2014My group of 3 made a last minute reservation for 9:45 on a Saturday. We were received cheerfully even though only a few diners were lingering over their meals. We all travel frequently and we love good food, but this beat anything we've eaten in years. The care and attention to the planning, preparation and presentation of the food was impressive. The enthusiasm of our knowledgeable and very professional waiter/sommelier made the experience fun. Recess is about a mile from our homes. We've heard for a long time how great it is, and we feel like idiots for not going earlier. You get more than you pay for in my opinion. Wow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food/Good PriceHbrayVIPDined on 10/24/2014This place has a great price point for food/wine pairing. Four courses with wine for right around $100. You can't get a price like that in larger markets. It's a good deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth the visittingoldVIPDined on 10/22/2014Staying in downtown Indy, I saw some reviews for Recess and thought we should try it for dinner; it was great and well worth the 15-20 minute drive. Food, service, minimalist decor - all were near perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceIndynativeDined on 10/22/2014We went there for our anniversary. If you enjoy experimenting with foods that you would never order on your own...this is the place. The portions were just right. After the 4 courses...including the dessert...we left full, but not stuffed. The service was excellent and the selected wines with each course made the evening enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in IndyKlj1Dined on 10/17/2014Always our favorite spot. Yet again, another phenomenal meal with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014Innovative creations, wonderfully presented, with contrasting/complimenting flavors and fresh and sometimes interesting/unusual ingredients. I always love every bite of every plate. The wine list is also pretty extensive, representing the major wine producing regions around the globe. Wine pairings are also available I've dined here before, and have always had a wonderful experience. The only shortcoming, when I took my Dad here for dinner, he didn't get the minimalist dining room. For me it was and is all about the food, and Recess never falls short.Special Features:
- Recess - Oct 2014localnativesDined on 10/11/2014This was our first visit to Recess. The waiter did a nice job at explaining the format. The menu items were very appealing and the wine pairings appeared excellent so we selected those for my wife. The wine list was very good but the beer list was a little lacking of local variety. It had a couple of Sun King selections but not much else. I went with the Lagunitas Sumpin Sumpin Ale which was excellent, and new for me. Each course of food was excellent. You could tell individual time was spent on each plating and food prep. The food was not quite enough, even after four courses, to fulfill my appetite, but my wife did not complain. However, the quality was enough to make up for the small servings. Quite expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Wedding AnniversaryjpgrigsDined on 10/9/2014We went to Recess for the first time on our 15th Anniversary. What the restaurant lacks in ambiance with the concrete floors and minimal decor, it more than makes up for with excellent food and service. Each of the four courses was expertly prepared and well constructed. The service was top notch without being obtrusive. We also enjoyed the flight of wines that were presented with the menu and found all of the pairings to be excellent as well. I would highly recommend Recess to anyone who is a foodie and willing to explore what the culinary world has to offer.Special Features:
- An Indy MUSTKowalskeDined on 10/3/2014If you are up for an amazing prix fixe menu with exceptional wine pairings (optional), you will not be disappointed. The atmosphere is hip, the wait staff is energetic, the food is absolutely amazing. Don't hesitate, make your reservation today!Special Features:
- amazing foodscwoDined on 9/20/2014The food was amazing. Each of the four courses was delicious. I will definitely go back there again.Special Features:
- I cant wait for RecessJuanVVIPDined on 9/19/2014Probably the best dining experience I have had in Indianapolis. The food was exquisite, the portions and presentation were just right and the service was spot onSpecial Features:
- Better than its academic referenceGeorgeDined on 9/13/2014Wish I didn't live in another state or I would gladly be a regular. Thanks for a perfect meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceKimKDined on 9/12/2014First time at Recess to celebrate my husband's birthday and try a new place. Enjoyed our evening so much. A relaxed and unique experience. Our server made the night special with explanations of each course and the suggested wine pairings. Very knowledgeable, personable and entertaining. The food was flavorful without being overpowering just to be impressive.Special Features:
- Special occassionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014First time at Recess. Great meal overall, nice atmosphere but could be better. Had the six course special with wines already paired. Wines were well chosen and complimented each course. The only course that was disappointing was the sea bass which we thought was over cooked, which was disappointing as both my wife and I love sea bass. Really enjoys the sweet breads and my wife liked them and really was dreading them when she saw them on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in the cityssimmonsVIPDined on 8/30/2014Recess is the perfect place to really indulge. The chef's creations are unique and delicious and the wine selection is superb. Each course is tantalizing to the palate. Not only is the food impeccable but the service is great as well. We always feel welcomed and always enjoy our evenings at Recess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014The food was amazing, the service impeccable, and the wine pairings phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and fun menuTreeDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I really enjoyed the restaurant's ambience, food choices and at the same time not a lot of them which was very relaxing way to enjoy the evening. No real pressure to pick the best meal. We ordered both of the two options so we could share the dishes. Wonderful wait staff very attentive. Definitely recommend to anyone for a unique meal that will entice your taste buds in Indy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as AlwaysJoelDined on 8/20/2014Recess has a daily rotating menu and wine accompaniment and my most recent visit was probably my favorite. Perfectly prepared lamb over perfectly prepared risotto was the main course and it was a just perfect paired red blend (which I've forgotten the name of!). Anyway, the food and service is great and I will be back.Special Features:
- An Indianapolis Gem!Ann227Dined on 8/20/2014We had a fabulous dinner at Recess on 8/20/2014. The restaurant was the choice of a friend, who knows the chef and his wife. We were in town, from Chicago, to visit several of the fabulous museums in Indianapolis. Recess is a "Chicago quality restaurant" in a charming neighborhood. Definitely worth the 15 minute drive from downtown. Food and wine pairings were wonderful.Special Features:
- Hardesty Still Has ItPlatinumjstrainDined on 8/19/2014Recess remains one of the two or three premiere places in Indy and unique in its approach to the menu. I believe it is the only place in Indy that presents a set menu (with one or two options only) to each of its patrons. We were there for our wedding anniversary and the menu, fortunately, was one we could embrace. The starter was a salad with smoked duck breast. It was followed by a not quite cioppino using sea bass, a scallop and mussels. Greg really knows how to do fish. The protein course was a choice of venison or king salmon. We chose the venison and it was delicious, tender, flavorful. Finally, there was a choice of desserts and we chose one of each. The only minor complaint is that the nectarines lacked flavor. Otherwise - great!Special Features:
- Best spot in IndyDennyOVIPDined on 8/16/2014Always great food and lovely service. Greg's selection of ingredients is unsurpassed. Also suggest the wine pairing that never disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousfoodieDined on 8/14/2014Recess is unique in Indy for its combination of gourmet food and unpretentious atmosphere. If you don't like hard-to-pronounce descriptions on the menu or snooty waiters, but still want excellent innovative food, this is right for you. Every course brought out new subtle flavors but all the food items were locally sourced. Courses are reasonably sized so that after 5 courses you don't feel stuffed, but not hungry either. We chose the suggested wine pairings and were not disappointed. The price is quite reasonable for the quality. Atmosphere is stark (no table cloth, plastic chairs) - but the emphasis is all on the food. We would expect long lines to form every evening, but on the Thursday we went there were only half of the tables taken.Special Features:
- A bit out of the way butNYCtravVIPDined on 8/13/2014worth it! Great food, service and ambience in Indy. Good value for the prix fixe one choice spot. Will definitely return the next time I'm in Indy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food but little ambiance, privacy.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/12/2014Love the food; sophisticated, well prepared not too complex. Simple yet effective presntation. It won't stop us from enjoying the food, but we really wish they would do something to improve ambiance. Sitting next to or staring at cold cinderblock wall isn't overly comfortable.2 tops so small that a wine bucket or a woman's purse can't be comfortably on the table. Even a candle would be nice. Tables extremely close & even though we didn't want to,we were able to listen to every detail of the tables nearby. We understand that Recess is totally about the food which will keep us coming back, but after this visit we thought we decided to provide our observation regarding the entire experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Wonderfully crafted courses. We went with the suggested wines and they were spot on, perfectly enhancing the flavors. The ambiance is not up to the level of the cuisine, but that's a minor thing. Good, friendly service without being too intrusive. Be prepared for the check, it could be surprising. Well worth it though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, casual atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Recess is consistently excellent in the food department. The wine pairing is also a wonderful addition to the evening. It is pricey, but shouldn't be a surprise. Service is wonderful. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014I treated a friend for their birthday. It was the first time either of us had been to Recess. Josh was outstanding as our server. The food and wine pairings were perfect. The dishes were unusual and tasted amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Special Occasionshard2pleaseDined on 8/9/2014My wallet cannot afford to eat here all the time but if I could I would. For that special occasion if you really want to impress, Recess is your place. Set menu so you have very few choices but it changes every day. The atmosphere is very casual as is the decor but the food is the main attraction. It truly is a culinary play ground. Do go for the wine pairing option. The added cost is not that more if you are planning to have drinks with dinner. Very knowledgeable staff and they keep the dishes coming without hovering. Portions are small so you leave satisfied but not stuffed. Perfect in every way. Have yet to be disappointed. A must for foodies.Special Features:
- dinning at recessOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014This was by far the best food in indy. The courses were different and complex. each course was a unique dining experience. Truly a great restaurant and clearly a reflection of the owner. This is a foodies nirvana. don benedykSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodie restaurantedandjaneindyVIPDined on 8/8/2014Recess is a prix fixed restaurant with a four course dinner and optional wine pairings. The food is the best we have tasted in Indy and the service is great. The setting is basic, which allows you to focus on the food. We would highly recommend trying this if you love quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionawickedwitDined on 8/8/2014Impeccable service, scrumptious wine/course pairings, all in an unpretentious setting. We could not have asked for a better dining experience to help celebrate our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificGregDined on 8/7/2014Just happened upon Recess searching for a great meal in Indy. Found what we wanted. Set menu at the chef's whim that day. Seemed like a bargain at $58 for four courses. We would absolutely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantastaticAmaliaDined on 8/1/2014Fantastic dining experience with a preset menu and wine pairing..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 76 reviews are from the Recess reviews archive.
- Best Restaurant in IndyDDhillDined on 7/25/2014Took my wife here for our anniversary and had an amazing time. The food and wine pairings were great!Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/23/2014Each course was balanced. Attention to detail. Wines paired well. Overall perfect meal, Greg is still the best chef in Indianapolis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indianapolis GemPainterPersonDined on 7/23/2014I love the variety of flavors and textures that Recess presents as its fixed-price menu. The menu changes daily, and we've dined at Recess several times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/10/2014Everything about Recess is outstanding. I can't wait to go back.Special Features: