4907 N College Ave
Indianapolis, IN 46205Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.recessindy.com/
- Phone: 3179257529x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Greg Hardesty
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
A word from Recess
Recess is the ultimate culinary playground. Every day chef Greg Hardesty and his culinary team create a four-course pre-fixe dinner from scratch, using for inspiration the season’s freshest local and regional ingredients. Please check our website each day for the menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Recess - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
Recess reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (71)special occasion (70)neighborhood gem (48)notable wine list (43)romantic (27)hot spot (20)good for groups (6)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Better than its academic referenceGeorgeDined on 9/13/2014Wish I didn't live in another state or I would gladly be a regular. Thanks for a perfect meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceKimKDined on 9/12/2014First time at Recess to celebrate my husband's birthday and try a new place. Enjoyed our evening so much. A relaxed and unique experience. Our server made the night special with explanations of each course and the suggested wine pairings. Very knowledgeable, personable and entertaining. The food was flavorful without being overpowering just to be impressive.Special Features:
- Special occassionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014First time at Recess. Great meal overall, nice atmosphere but could be better. Had the six course special with wines already paired. Wines were well chosen and complimented each course. The only course that was disappointing was the sea bass which we thought was over cooked, which was disappointing as both my wife and I love sea bass. Really enjoys the sweet breads and my wife liked them and really was dreading them when she saw them on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in the cityssimmonsDined on 8/30/2014Recess is the perfect place to really indulge. The chef's creations are unique and delicious and the wine selection is superb. Each course is tantalizing to the palate. Not only is the food impeccable but the service is great as well. We always feel welcomed and always enjoy our evenings at Recess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014The food was amazing, the service impeccable, and the wine pairings phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and fun menuTreeDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I really enjoyed the restaurant's ambience, food choices and at the same time not a lot of them which was very relaxing way to enjoy the evening. No real pressure to pick the best meal. We ordered both of the two options so we could share the dishes. Wonderful wait staff very attentive. Definitely recommend to anyone for a unique meal that will entice your taste buds in Indy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as AlwaysJoelDined on 8/20/2014Recess has a daily rotating menu and wine accompaniment and my most recent visit was probably my favorite. Perfectly prepared lamb over perfectly prepared risotto was the main course and it was a just perfect paired red blend (which I've forgotten the name of!). Anyway, the food and service is great and I will be back.Special Features:
- An Indianapolis Gem!Ann227Dined on 8/20/2014We had a fabulous dinner at Recess on 8/20/2014. The restaurant was the choice of a friend, who knows the chef and his wife. We were in town, from Chicago, to visit several of the fabulous museums in Indianapolis. Recess is a "Chicago quality restaurant" in a charming neighborhood. Definitely worth the 15 minute drive from downtown. Food and wine pairings were wonderful.Special Features:
- Hardesty Still Has ItPlatinumjstrainDined on 8/19/2014Recess remains one of the two or three premiere places in Indy and unique in its approach to the menu. I believe it is the only place in Indy that presents a set menu (with one or two options only) to each of its patrons. We were there for our wedding anniversary and the menu, fortunately, was one we could embrace. The starter was a salad with smoked duck breast. It was followed by a not quite cioppino using sea bass, a scallop and mussels. Greg really knows how to do fish. The protein course was a choice of venison or king salmon. We chose the venison and it was delicious, tender, flavorful. Finally, there was a choice of desserts and we chose one of each. The only minor complaint is that the nectarines lacked flavor. Otherwise - great!Special Features:
- Best spot in IndyDennyOVIPDined on 8/16/2014Always great food and lovely service. Greg's selection of ingredients is unsurpassed. Also suggest the wine pairing that never disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousfoodieDined on 8/14/2014Recess is unique in Indy for its combination of gourmet food and unpretentious atmosphere. If you don't like hard-to-pronounce descriptions on the menu or snooty waiters, but still want excellent innovative food, this is right for you. Every course brought out new subtle flavors but all the food items were locally sourced. Courses are reasonably sized so that after 5 courses you don't feel stuffed, but not hungry either. We chose the suggested wine pairings and were not disappointed. The price is quite reasonable for the quality. Atmosphere is stark (no table cloth, plastic chairs) - but the emphasis is all on the food. We would expect long lines to form every evening, but on the Thursday we went there were only half of the tables taken.Special Features:
- A bit out of the way butNYCtravVIPDined on 8/13/2014worth it! Great food, service and ambience in Indy. Good value for the prix fixe one choice spot. Will definitely return the next time I'm in Indy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food but little ambiance, privacy.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/12/2014Love the food; sophisticated, well prepared not too complex. Simple yet effective presntation. It won't stop us from enjoying the food, but we really wish they would do something to improve ambiance. Sitting next to or staring at cold cinderblock wall isn't overly comfortable.2 tops so small that a wine bucket or a woman's purse can't be comfortably on the table. Even a candle would be nice. Tables extremely close & even though we didn't want to,we were able to listen to every detail of the tables nearby. We understand that Recess is totally about the food which will keep us coming back, but after this visit we thought we decided to provide our observation regarding the entire experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Wonderfully crafted courses. We went with the suggested wines and they were spot on, perfectly enhancing the flavors. The ambiance is not up to the level of the cuisine, but that's a minor thing. Good, friendly service without being too intrusive. Be prepared for the check, it could be surprising. Well worth it though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, casual atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Recess is consistently excellent in the food department. The wine pairing is also a wonderful addition to the evening. It is pricey, but shouldn't be a surprise. Service is wonderful. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014I treated a friend for their birthday. It was the first time either of us had been to Recess. Josh was outstanding as our server. The food and wine pairings were perfect. The dishes were unusual and tasted amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Special Occasionshard2pleaseDined on 8/9/2014My wallet cannot afford to eat here all the time but if I could I would. For that special occasion if you really want to impress, Recess is your place. Set menu so you have very few choices but it changes every day. The atmosphere is very casual as is the decor but the food is the main attraction. It truly is a culinary play ground. Do go for the wine pairing option. The added cost is not that more if you are planning to have drinks with dinner. Very knowledgeable staff and they keep the dishes coming without hovering. Portions are small so you leave satisfied but not stuffed. Perfect in every way. Have yet to be disappointed. A must for foodies.Special Features:
- dinning at recessOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014This was by far the best food in indy. The courses were different and complex. each course was a unique dining experience. Truly a great restaurant and clearly a reflection of the owner. This is a foodies nirvana. don benedykSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodie restaurantedandjaneindyVIPDined on 8/8/2014Recess is a prix fixed restaurant with a four course dinner and optional wine pairings. The food is the best we have tasted in Indy and the service is great. The setting is basic, which allows you to focus on the food. We would highly recommend trying this if you love quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionawickedwitDined on 8/8/2014Impeccable service, scrumptious wine/course pairings, all in an unpretentious setting. We could not have asked for a better dining experience to help celebrate our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificGregDined on 8/7/2014Just happened upon Recess searching for a great meal in Indy. Found what we wanted. Set menu at the chef's whim that day. Seemed like a bargain at $58 for four courses. We would absolutely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantastaticAmaliaDined on 8/1/2014Fantastic dining experience with a preset menu and wine pairing..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in IndyDDhillDined on 7/25/2014Took my wife here for our anniversary and had an amazing time. The food and wine pairings were great!Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/23/2014Each course was balanced. Attention to detail. Wines paired well. Overall perfect meal, Greg is still the best chef in Indianapolis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indianapolis GemPainterPersonDined on 7/23/2014I love the variety of flavors and textures that Recess presents as its fixed-price menu. The menu changes daily, and we've dined at Recess several times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/10/2014Everything about Recess is outstanding. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Best of Lagunazannie77Dined on 7/8/2014Watermarc was nothing short of fantastic. From the freshness to the seafood, the fabulous flavors, the friendly and knowledgeable service and the great wine list we couldn't have asked for a better evening for our first trip to Laguna. Will most definitely be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2014always a wonderful experience, we go whenever I am in townSpecial Features:
- Not what I expectedMyMocha6185Dined on 6/30/2014We went for a birthday celebration and we we're let down since it was fast food with a twist. We thought it would be a little more upscale. Portions were too small for the price. It's worth going to say you've been but once is enoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulAimeeDined on 6/28/2014I live about 2 blocks from Recess but had never checked it out. Definitely a bit pricey in comparison to the rest of the neighborhood (dinner for 2 came out to about $200 after all the alcohol was imbibed), but it was delicious. They change the menu out daily, so can't really recommend any particular item, other than to say you'll probably get something great no matter what.Special Features:
- good for casual and special timetkyciDined on 6/27/2014The quality of ingredient is good. Chef's idea is great. It's very exciting to check daliy base changed fixed menew.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love ItReviewRarelyDined on 6/26/2014Recess has great ambiance and decor for an understated dining experience with top in class food. The staff had a light mood and touch which matched the feel of the place. My god, the salmon entree that night! I have never tasted anything like it. i am not generally a huge fan of my meat or fish smoked. This smokey salmon flavor was out of this world unique and perfect. And the salad was exactly as it should be, unbelievably fresh and bursting with flavor. I had them pick my pinot grigio wine from their selection and it was heaven. I left sated, but not stuffed, as dinner should be. Every new restaurant should be like Recess - different space and different food, superior at what their doing, confidant but fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all about the foodCDC2001Dined on 6/19/2014Recess continues to live up to it's reputation. The interior decor (or lack thereof) is charming in it's own unpretentious way - polished concrete floors, cinderblock walls, plastic chairs and tables. This all works simply because the food and the people make it work. The portions are fine (you leave no longer hungry nor bloated) but both quality and presentations focus your attention where it should be - on the food. All of our plates returned to the kitchen completely empty. Quiet but not tomb-like, this is a great place for special occasion dinners.Special Features:
- Excellent But PriceyNorthsideDinerDined on 6/19/2014Dinner with my wife there was one of the best dining experiences in a long time as far as the quality of the meal. That being said, I do believe that the price was a bit much for what we had. Portions were small. Wine selections by the glass were limited, and all were $12-13 a glass, which also seems high for the wines available. The floor could use either some carpet or other type of flooring other than the old concrete.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChowDown MidtownOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/11/2014I had been wanting to try Recess for a while, so we went for chowdown midtown. We liked the food and thought it was good but the portions were very small. Given the 3 course, fixed menu, we were unable to change that. Both of us left a little hungry. I consider myself a foodie and am not looking for Chili's sized portions. I absolutely love Oakley's bistro and I consider their cuisine similar to Recess. I will be honest that I was slight disappointed in Recess for the money spent, I've had more satisfying meals elsewhere. Maybe it was because of chowdown midtown menu, but we had to make reservations in advance without knowing that evenings menu. We may try Recess again the future if the menu and fixed price seem reasonable for that evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/11/2014it was a very good meal but I do not think it was worth the price. The way their menu is designed is it changes every day so Sundays could be worth it and others not.Special Features:
- Recess: the best Indy has to offeredougDined on 6/7/2014Recess is simply the best Indianapolis has to offer. It's a small place intentionally so they can be selective about what they serve. Generally, I'd recommend being early rather than late in case they have a run on a particularly good dish (which is relative term since everything is good), but given the choice between here any anywhere else, pick Recess. It is not cheap, though, and you should be prepared for $60/head without drinks. A note on the menu: it is a set menu with usually 1-2 choices per course. Check their website before booking for the daily menu.Special Features:
- Am I in New York City?OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/5/2014I must start with "the food was very good". I did not feel it was spectacular. Had wreck fish which was too chewy. This was our first visit and will probably be our last. 3 small courses for $40. Then add wine, tax and tip and you are easily over $80+ a person. I don't need my food "biggie sized".....but I was still hungry. No wine chiller. No bread. Maybe there is a market in this town for a restaurant of this type....but I feel Bluebeards, RBistro and Oakleys are similar. They are priced better. My husband absolutely detested the interior of the restaurant. Concrete and block....plastic chairs. He was not a happy camper in that regard. I have been to many a NYC restaurant. I feel we don't command that type of high cost.
- Loved It!FoodielifeDined on 6/3/2014Loved everything about this place. Would suggest slightly larger portions though. I had to go home and have a snack.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecesspeterfrommaineDined on 5/31/2014Excellent food. Focused menu. All courses were excellent. One dessert option disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 58 reviews are from the Recess reviews archive.