Ray's on the River
6700 Powers Ferry Road
Sandy Springs, GA 30339Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Ray's on the River
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.raysrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 7709551187x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 9:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Josh Warner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Vocal.
A word from Ray's on the River
Situated along the Chattahoochee River, take in serene views and enjoy a menu filled with classic Ray’s dishes including fresh seafood flown in daily, prime cut steaks and regionally grown vegetables. As an Atlanta dining institution, Ray's offers live entertainment, a creative hand-crafted cocktail menu and a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence wine list. At Ray's, we strive to exceed expectations with every visit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Ray's on the River - Best Restaurants in Sandy Springs ›
Ray's on the River reviews from OpenTable diners
512 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (374)special occasion (338)romantic (269)great for brunch (138)good for groups (138)fit for foodies (131)great for lunch (119)notable wine list (107)neighborhood gem (82)great for outdoor dining (78)vibrant bar scene (68)hot spot (44)late-night find (30)kid-friendly (19)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014This is an old restaurant that cannot compete with the great Chef inspired restaurants in the area for the same price point. Ambiance has not come into the 21st century and the servers are overwhelmed.
- Great AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Ray's is always a favorite dining experience in the beginning of the fall when there's a crispness in the night air. It is very calm during that time and as you look out onto the Chattahoochee River while you dine, it feels like nirvana. The seafood was quite fresh and tasty and the desserts always amaze.Special Features:
- LapuneOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/16/2014Very disappointing night at a place we usually like. Very bad start...no table available with a reservation! Then, handed a PAGER!!!! No restaurant on earth, at the level I thought Ray's inhabited, owns PAGERs, or would ever dare to give one to their customers....WHAT AN INSULT!!!! This was followed by: over rushed service, dry Tuna Tataka...half consumed before it's sauce was offered, bread that came after apps, and MEDIUM WELL prime rib (it should never be served that way even if someone ordered it that way...we did not!!!) SAD!!Special Features:
- VERY PLEASANTLY SURPRISEDOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/16/2014The view is amazing and my party of 8 was positioned perfectly for my clients to be very impressed! The service was exquisite, and the food did not disappoint. No one duplicated orders and all the entrees were great. DO NOT skip dessert as it is the best part of the meal. Wonderful wine list.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014First time and last time, very over rated and over priced.Special Features:
- Great cuisine fair pricedBauziDined on 9/14/2014We had Ahi Tuna, Filet Mignon and the House Salad - all was excellent cooked and nicely presented. Really a great Cobb Restaurant Week experience. As a wine freak I also very much like the half price offering on "Wine" Down Sundays! Only the service could have done slightly better. Although we asked for a break between salad and entrée, the meat came even before we finished the salad. However, we will return! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lyle's dining disaster.lylebossDined on 9/14/2014I have been a fan of Ray's for years and have spent many special occasions here. I had a very disappointing dinner there with a client on Sept 14th. I ordered the special Surf and Turf and a cup of clam chowder. The chowder was skimpy, no clams to speak of, watery and full of potato filler. It was seriously the worst clam chowder I have ever had served; Campbell's and a number of canned chowder is better. The filet was order medium rare and it was more medium, cold and tough. The whole surge and turf platter was cold and was as if it had it on the shelf waiting to be served. We ordered a side of Brussels Sprouts as the vegetable of the day and it tasted like institutional food you would get in a hospital cafeteria.
- Sunday Brunch good, but too priceyberealDined on 9/14/2014Ray's Sunday Brunch is good but is now priced too high for the offering. The hot foods are, at best moderate and on a recent visit, the pastries were dried out. I always enjoy the omelet station and peel and eat shrimp and the salad bar. Now, however, it appears that as prices have escalated, the choices have shrunk. This used to be my favorite for Sunday Brunch. I plan to look for other options that will give me more value for my money.Special Features:
- never failsATLMAREDined on 9/14/2014Ray's is our GO TO Place for out of town guests and celebrations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed BrunchNerrawSenojDined on 9/14/2014My only issue was with having an early morning sitting (10:15 am), the food was not Hot, I hope as the day went on for brunch the food was hotter. Also, being from New York my expectations were high, looking forward to beverages being included since, it's not a Champagne Sunday Brunch. (VISITORS~(Georgia Law) If you do an early morning sitting cocktails can not be purchased and served until 12:30 pm). I will try the Sunday Brunch again and do an updated posting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new to go placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Very good evening out. Thinking of getting group together to celebrate USMC birthday in Oct.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionAngelDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I had her birthday dinner here. The food was very good. I especially liked the 3 course dinner that they offered on this Saturday night. The price was right and the dinner was very good. This is a nice place to go for a special occasion. Our table was cozy and quiet. The service could be a little better.Special Features:
- DeliciousFuneataDined on 9/13/2014We went here for Cobb Restaurant Week. I hadn't eaten there in years. It was delicious! The service was great.Special Features:
- LOVED IT!!!!!FlawlessDined on 9/12/2014The ambiance was absolutely Amazing & so was staff. Our waitress was kind & answered all questions as if we were her only table! Everyone was professional & we ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS PLACE!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Buzz......GregthebugDined on 9/11/2014and this was before 7 p.m. on a Thursday. Ray's stayed full even after more than 2 hours of our dining. We went for an anniversary celebration. Service was very good. Attentive staff. Had to wait for about 5 or 10 minutes, even with a reservation, but that wasn't bad. The view at the window is very pleasant; the river scenery, manicured lawn, and ducks and geese at sunset all add to the ambience. Food was outstanding and service was always available but unrushed.Special Features:
- Positive ExperienceBusDinerDined on 9/11/2014Great place for business dinners/meetings. You can communicate with very little background noise and the food/service is always excellent. Client/prospect will enjoy a positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmedEstrogenDined on 9/11/2014I was so looking forward to this dinner. I ordered oysters Rockefeller for my appetizer which had so much spinach in it was hard to find the oyster. I then had a lobster tail with lyonnaise potatoes. The lobster was OK but I had to ask for butter for it. They brought me a butter warmer that would not stay lit. No one came by so I wound up dipping my lobster in cold butter. The potatoes were almost inedible and I didn't eat more than the first bite. I was very disappointed in this place. The view was lovely and the place seemed to have a lively bar scene.Special Features:
- Ray's on the riverSpecialEdDined on 9/10/20148P reservations. Waited just few minutes, maybe 3. Very busy on a week night. High back booth was nice to block other diners. Great service from Brandon. Pretty presentations. Nice salad. Killer bread. HARD as a rock butter. Wonderful crap soup. Crap cakes were tasty. Horseradish grouper had nice texture but not as flavorful as the menu might suggest. Dessert treat for our anniversary. Coffee was too bitter like Starbucks. Good sweet tea.Special Features:
- Better This TimeDrMikeDined on 9/10/2014Last time had a reservation for Brunch, arrived on time was treated to a horrible table and a horrible experience with a s/a manager with the people skills of a lizard. Much better this time. Seated in a timely manner, got a great table and was served by great staff. I think they made up for the bad brunch experience. The question is can they be consistently good? We'll see?Special Features:
- Ray's Delivers!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Made my reservation through Open Table. We were running a little behind. Got there and we were still seated immediately. In my requests I mentioned it was my boyfriend's birthday. Everyone including the hostess made it a point to tell him happy birthday. Made him feel special. Thanks to Ray's he had a wonderful and very memorable 30th. His only compliant was that it was a bit too dark but that may be because of the new found older age. Ha! Thank you again! Wonderful overall experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Expensive BrunchBobsVoiceVIPDined on 9/7/2014Apparantly haven't been to this brunch in a while. I remember long waits, no reservations, and a $20 brunch. I should have known better when I was able to make a reservation 30 minutes before arrival. It's now a $35+ buffet, with tasteless stone crab claws, omelet and carving station, etc, your usual buffet fare, but for much more money. Certainly not worth the price. Someplace like Poppadeaux still runs around $20 for their Sunday buffet.Special Features:
- Awesomemimi4gkDined on 9/7/2014This was a celebration for my husband's seventy birthday, and everyone totally enjoyed themselves. The restaurant was as beautiful as it was fifteen years ago when my daughter got married there. We all had the brunch and the food was delicious and well presented. The servers were excellent and kid-friendly. My grandchildren were so excited to have strolled through the gardens and along the river, to see where their parents were joined together. This restaurant is a fabulous place for all occasions and I recommend it to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchDeelastcreDined on 9/7/2014The array of foods, ambiance, and location was a great site for my Birthday Brunch. Service was a little slow and not as attentive. I was disappointed that Champagne could not be ordered until 12:30. We enjoyed our food and will recommend for brunch when we are in Atlanta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of Atlanta .BigfoxCEODined on 9/6/2014Our waiter Brian was very nice and extremely friendly. Made us feel like family. The food was great and the staff was accommodating. My only issue was I saw a guy at another table next to us dressed in a t shirt and flip flops. Go figure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not my favoritediningfanDined on 9/6/2014My expectation for service at a place like this is much higher. The live music was mediocre at best, if took too long to get water served, bread took much too long, portions were very small, overpriced, etc. We had a good time but I would never go back.Special Features:
- Amazing!DCH3015VIPDined on 9/6/2014Ray's on the Water is everything you would expect from a 5 star restaurant. The service is exceptional, food is superb. The view is just wonderful overlooking the Chattahoochee River with lovely walk ways and benches outside to side and gaze at the water while you have intimate conversations. This was our first visit to the restaurant but I assure you it won't be our last. Did I mention how fabulous the servers and the food was? Yes? Well it deserves mentioning again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elaineDined on 9/6/2014Sadly the food was not as expected. It was just average. Our table had a lovely view of the river and our server, Alex, was great.Special Features:
- romantic on the riverhappyeaterDined on 9/5/2014Dim lighting, live music. Good food and good drink. An evening away from our 3 year old...just me and the hubby! Doesn't take much to impress me. I was just happy to get out of the house for a quiet dinner with my husband. We are new to Atlanta so this was our first time at rays on the river. They have live music on the opposite side of the restaurant buy we could still hear it nicely. We had a view of the river. Food was excellent. This place was more than what we are used paying for a dinner but we'll worth it not to have a peaceful meal. We don't get out much since our 3 year old has too much energy for places that Don't have a play area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service could have been much bettersansalDined on 9/5/2014service could have been much better and inviting. that is all can write nowSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IanLDined on 9/5/2014Great location, but the dining needs far more attention to detail. The salads were wilted and warm as if they'd been sitting in the sun all day. The soups were barely lukewarm. The entrees were acceptable but not outstanding. When we complained and returned the salads no attempt was made to offset the bad experience save removing the salads from the bill.Special Features:
- Terrific once againLad50VIPDined on 9/4/2014I seem to visit Ray's once a year when I come to the Atlanta market, and I am never disappointed. Service is always top notch, and the food is always just perfect. Great spot on the river, gets you feeling like you are out in the country.Special Features:
- Fantastic service and foodSharp2Dined on 9/1/2014I was impressed with the staff serving us and the view at the window topped it off, amazing menu selection tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food with Beautiful SettingEatout2dayDined on 9/1/2014Ray's on the River is one of our favorite places to dine in Atlanta. The food is always delicous with plenty of flavor. The crab cake is my wife favorite served over mash potatoes. I usually get the grouper which is cook to prefection and very tasty. The food is always served hot and the right propotion. The service is always great from being greated when entering to the waiters be attentive. I do not drink but the bar is lively and would be a nice place to hangout with friends while waiting to be seated. I would recommend trying Ray's for a delightful lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night outluv2eatDined on 8/31/2014If you are looking for some good food with a wonderful atmosphere this is the place. While its not the most upscale restaurant I've been to, I don't believe that is what they are going for, it was still better than the local chain restaurants. The service was good, the pace of the meal was very good. Food came at a reasonable rate... appetizer , bread, meal and dessert. Servers were friendly and attentive. Honored our request for window seating with a minimal wait at the bar. Wine recommendations were spot on. The seafood was fresh and tasty. If you need a night out away from the kids with your spouse this certainly fits the bill.Special Features:
- Excellent overall!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014I've been dining at Ray's on the river and at Killer Creek for years and it never dissapoints. Excellent food, wine list, service and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Best BrunchTenaciousinthecityDined on 8/31/2014Great restaurant for Sunday brunch. Variety of food to select from to include breakfast, regular menu items, seafood, and dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedfoodfan55Dined on 8/31/2014The food was okay. If you like quantity and options you get it here but quality is so so. Shrimp and chicken fingers were great, but you can get that for a lot less money someplace else. Also restaurant bathroom and ceiling are in need of repair. Landscaping needed some TLC. Not what you expect for over $200 for 6 people with no alcohol.
- Amazing on all levelsIlovefoodDined on 8/31/2014This was the second time I have been to Ray's and it did not disappoint. Our server Donald was amazing and funny. The staff was extremely helpful. The food was incredible. I honestly have nothing but great things to say about this place. I cannot wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wishing for better...disappointed!tjvarnadoeDined on 8/31/2014Used to go to Rays on the River all the time for brunch, Thanksgiving, and special occasions and loved it! Last time we went was about 4 yrs ago & it was awful! I heard there was a new chef so we were hopeful it had improved. Unfortunately, it has not. The food was only okay - nothing special to speak of. There was no Hollandaise Sauce on the Eggs Benedict and the eggs in them were very runny, no bread of any significance [bagels, for instance] or cream cheese for any of the Smoked Salmon or Salmon Spread, the shrimp were very small, the quiche was overcooked. I could go on. You also still have to pay for drinks which I find silly for a $30+ buffet. One difference in the buffet...the price went up. Go figure! We won't be going back.Special Features:
- Good and badOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Food was outstanding. Service was initially good (after waiting for 20 minutes for our reserved table). Our food orders got mixed up and meals delivered that weren't ordered. Wine ordered was served after reminding the waiter again. Our check had food charged to it which wasn't ordered even though the initial check was correct. It also took 30 minutes to settle the check. I do hope it was just an off night.I would recommend this to a friend.