Rays on the Bay
78-128 Ehukai St.
Keauhou, HI 96740Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Rays on the Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://raysonthebay.com/
- Phone: (808) 936-4911
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Su 5:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
Bar Service M-Su 5:30 p.m.-11 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Jayson Malla
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Rays on the Bay is proud to offer live entertainment nightly featuring some of the finest established as well as up and coming local artists here on the Big island. Our featured artists will delight you with selections of Hawaiian and contemporary music with something for everyone with a strong focus on Hawaiian flavored favorites.
A word from Rays on the Bay
Rays on the Bay Restaurant is known for its fresh seafood, farm-to-table cooking, handmade artisan pizzas,local island favorites and the coldest beer on the Big Island. Guests will enjoy warm and welcoming service, ocean front views, live entertainment seven days a week and the chance to see live Manta Rays feeding in the ocean directly in front of the restaurant. Rays is also the best spot to see a brilliant and romantic sunset while you gather with friends to enjoy hand crafted cocktails, pupus or dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Rays on the Bay - Best Restaurants in Keauhou ›
Rays on the Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (51)great for outdoor dining (47)romantic (32)special occasion (30)good for groups (15)vibrant bar scene (12)fit for foodies (9)late-night find (7)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (4)neighborhood gem (3)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Beautifull placePierreDined on 11/13/2014I will tell all my friend who visite the big island to go to your place on the top of the restaurant on the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big splash!Ptown2014Dined on 11/11/2014Our party of 6 waited for our table overlooking the bay hoping for a glimpse of some rays. Before we knew it a huge wave overtook us and we were soaked, to the delight of the restaurant patrons. Luckily our hotel was only 5 minutes away so we rushed home to change & were back in time for our lovely dinner. Everyone enjoyed their meals mostly due to the great atmosphere on the ocean. We loved the cats that wandered amongst the diners looking for scraps.Special Features:
- Huge Disappointment at Ray's on the BayDisappointedDinerDined on 11/5/2014My wife and I arrived on time for our Open Table reservation. We waited 15 minutes to be seated at a table that was open and set at the time of our arrival. The live local music was played at performance, not background, sound level so we requested a table in a quieter location. Ultimately were moved, but after waiting for perhaps 15 minutes for a server to even acknowledge us we left. On the basis of our experience, Ray's on the Bay is a lovely setting but is extremely poorly managed. Only bright spot was a server named Jacob at our original table who completely agreed the music was way too loud and suggested we comment on how inappropriate the sound level was for the venue. We did have a great meal at nearby Kenichi Pacific however.
- Rays on the BayDineoutDined on 11/5/2014Rays on the Bay has a tremendous location with outstanding view of ocean, sunset and manta ray dive boats. Service is quick, friendly and very good. I preferred the original menu. The current menu is too pricey; i.e., $33 for 1 medium piece of mahimahi, 1 piece of broccoli and a few cherry tomatoes? Mahimahi at KTA is $10/pound.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only come for mantas and the viewsandysmomDined on 11/1/2014We went to Rays by the Bay to see mantas in the water below the terrace. The view is wonderful, and we did see mantas when we walked out to the terrace after dinner. We were seated near the live music group, but we had to move because the blast of sound precluded all conversation. We appreciated that and anticipated a lovely meal. When the food came disappointment followed. It was mediocre and high-priced. Our server was nice and willing, but he had to run get things that were missing from the table. The "whole fish for two" was dry, the ceviche was covered with some kind of white dressing, more like poke. The sushi rolls were oversized and fell apart in chunks when you picked them up. We skipped dessert.Special Features:
- Great PlacecurleyDined on 10/30/2014Everything was excellent. The view and decor were outstanding. Food and service terrific. What's else to say?Special Features:
- Magnificant table & foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/29/2014We loved our evening. Boats, manta rays, lovely table, attentive service. PerfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its so sofrustratedDined on 10/25/2014This place is great for the view and ambiance but that's it. The food is very pricey,small portions and not that great. It is impossible to get a table with a fire pit. I have tried everything and can't get one. They say that they are reserved, so I tried to reserve one only to be told that they are first come first served. When I arrived for my reservation, I asked for one of the many fire pit tables only to be told that they were already spoken for. They sat empty for quite awhile until some lucky or greasy palm people sat in them. If your going to see the Manta Ray's, get a boat, you will see more. Keep in mind that this was not my first time here, I have been coming here for years and it is always the same. I give up!Special Features:
- Great Ocean ViewsAntonWingDined on 10/15/2014Was impressed with the layout. Must confess, was a bit concerned with the noise level and party ruckus from the happy hour with its live music; however the ocean front seatings with private faux mini fire-pits were a surprise, being just far enough away from all the action to enjoy a quieter view of the ocean. Big wide cushion back seats made a big difference as well. Food was great, but to be honest we could have just as easily sat there and had drinks and conversation. Nice place to relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incredible sceneryCricketloverDined on 10/15/2014excellent dinner though portions were a bit skimpySpecial Features:
- great for honeymoonersfallweddingDined on 10/15/2014this was a great dinner to celebrate our honeymoon. we got to see manta rays swimming in the ocean while at our firepit dinner table!Special Features:
- excelent viewOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/11/2014nice view, good food, service a bit slow. Excellent ambient except for noise. Too loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, not what I expectedClevelandreviewDined on 10/10/2014When my wife and I decided to go to Hawaii, we were told Rays on the Bay was a must see. However, we saw no rays, the kitchen was very slow and the wait staff bad mouthed the back of the house. The food was good, but even with a reservation we waited 15 minutes for a table and another 45 for salad and an appetizer. Pretty disappointing.Special Features:
- "SIGNATURE" steak was simply awful.blue4eyesDined on 10/4/2014Probably a combination of picking low quality meat and not being able to grill a piece of meat. I would be troubled to call it a signature steak.Special Features:
- Go theretouristsDined on 9/30/2014Go there before sunset! It's a great view! The service was too fast, you cannot eat the maincourse straight after finishing the first courseSpecial Features:
- Still needs fine tuningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Initially we were not happy with the hostess and her seating choice, she was unsympathetic to our needs. After talking with the manager things turned around and we were seated at a suitable table. Menu was full of a good variety. Alittle fine tuning is still needed with service. No offer of pepper when salads were served. No steak knives with our steaks. No one checking on us to see if we needed anything after our meal was served.Special Features:
- Great evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Enjoyed our dinner at Rays very much. Only objection is the fairly steep price.Special Features:
- Don't come hungry68rb250VIPDined on 9/22/2014Food was tasty , tiny entree portions . A friend had the short ribs it looked like it came from the children's menu . Menu says it's served with spinach . 3 leaves. Server was embarassed went to the kitchen and they explained it was "garnish". Outdoor seating dress appropriately . Good drinks . Friendly servers . A great place for cocktails and a snack . But dinner you'll starve to death .
- Beautiful SettingslickDined on 9/20/2014Food was great, being so close to the ocean and the manta rays is AMAZING.Special Features:
- newlywedDined on 9/20/2014Great views, good food and good service, We really enjoyed our meal and plan to go back.Special Features:
- Fantastic sunset view and foodSunsetheavenDined on 9/12/2014We have gone to Ray's twice now and it has been fantastic both times. Highly recommend! Everything was really GREAT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rays dining2TravelersVIPDined on 9/9/2014Our evenings at Rays on the Bay were average. The food was average and the service was inconsistant. We usually could not hear each other to talk while we ate because the live music was very very loud.Special Features:
- MixedKonaLocalDined on 9/9/2014Very nice. Food was great. Desert was disappointing. The brownie was basically 2 bites for $8!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant in Kona, HICharlieDined on 9/7/2014The restaurant was a great find in a fabulous location. The food was unique and very good and the service was excellent. We'll be sure to go there again when we next visit the Big Island.Special Features:
- Great eveningEmmzahDined on 9/6/2014Despite not seeing any of the manta rays, this was a great evening. Food was much better and cheaper than expected from a resort we thought would have cashed in on their position on the seafront and service was friendly. Enjoyed the burger and the cookie and ice cream dessert was enormous and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ray on the BaydizzydDined on 9/5/2014Decided to reserve for anniversary dinner at sunset. Everything we sampled was perfect from the pupu platter to the rib eye to the wonderful mango sweetbreads pudding. The manta ray show didn't start till after the boats left the area around 9pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerSistineDined on 8/24/2014The server was amazing and the food didn't disappoint. They made our 30th anniversary very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mantas rays?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The location was great and the setting very nice but we couldn't see the manta rays at all.Special Features:
- Vacation MustesbootwoDined on 8/21/2014We were told by a flight attendant who lives on this island to try this restaurant. It was a highlight of our meals out for sure. A must visit if you enjoy the sunset and ocean views.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014The food was good. Service was fair, maybe because it was busy. But it was bit too noisy: Loud musicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for the view-loved the food!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/17/2014We recently stayed at the Sheraton Kona. We ate here 2 nights and on both occasions the service was spot on and the food excellent. It was probably the best dining experience we had in 2 weeks in Hawaii including trips to Oahu and Maui prior to the Big Island. The observation deck to see the Manta Rays is a highlight but the food is excellent and not what you'd expect from a resort hotel restaurant. GO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, substandard servicefoodiefromwaDined on 8/16/2014We heard we could see "rays on the bay" and decided to have dinner here. A group of 6 of us sat at a circle table with chairs that are not ideal for comfort, but they are fine for sitting back and enjoying the view. Our waiter was not great and it affected our enjoyment of the evening. He brought us our drink orders and placed them randomly on the table for us to pass around to the correct person. We had to ask for coasters. Eventually we had to ask for water. When asked about sides and specifics about the menu, he did not seem that knowledgeable. One couple ordered salads as a starter which were delivered at the same times as the meals. He got better as the night went on but it affected our enjoyment of the evening and his tip.Special Features:
- SummerDined on 8/15/2014Love it, it will be one of my great memories of visiting HawaiiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome except no manta rays!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/11/2014Lovely restaurant with great surf views and ambience. Server was knowledgeable and friendly. Beautiful booth facing ocean. Only drawback is there were no manta rays to view and lots of people were standing on the lookout site and leaving very disappointed. One of the outdoor lights to draw the rays was also not working. Fluke night or regular manta ray disappointment?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ocean View, Great FoodvegfoodieDined on 8/11/2014We had the most amazing view. Our server provided great service and was super friendly as well. Food was delicious and the chef wiped up a wonderful Vegan dish!Special Features:
- Great Views!FoodieChapVIPDined on 8/4/2014It's been some time since I was at the Sheraton Keahou and I don't remember Rays the last time I was there. This was a nice surprise. Our server was very attentive to a fault. My daughter asked for mayo with her burger and received an outdated jar. The server went all over the restaurant and even to the other restuarant in the hotel. They came back with a couple packs of condiment size mayo and apologized for not having what she needed. They not only comped her meal, they gave her a dessert too. This was on top of the great view especially as the sun set and our table was situated with a great view even though we had 8. The food was worth its fare, but you kind of forget about the food when you have such great ambiance.Special Features:
- Great view odd menuAlohagirlDined on 7/29/2014Loved the location, had a fire pit table overlooking the water which was truly beautiful. Wine list was nothing too desirable and food choices were "odd" and very limiting. Prices on food were high especially for what you were getting. A lot of people ordering just bottles of wine and appetizers. Would go back for the location for sure but not for the food, and the service was nothing spectacular. Asked our server to take our picture, never did, said she was too busy. All in all, food and service was average tittering on below but the atmosphere was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun with the raysPunkrockrynoDined on 7/28/2014We made late reservations, with no problem. Had a drink looking at the sunset. Ate a wonderful dinner, then watched the rays swim after dinner. Good time for my wife and me.great friendly serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only go to see the raysCandoDined on 7/27/2014Waited 30 minutes just to get seated with a reservation. Waitress was way too busy to give any attention other than ask what we wanted to eat then the wrong meals were delivered to our table. Would go back to watch the beautiful manta rays but skip the dinner.Special Features:
- The following 244 reviews are from the Rays on the Bay reviews archive.
- Hit And MisstraveleritVIPDined on 12/4/2013They messed up our reservation on the first night. The hostesses were very rude. We almost walked out, but we just arrived in Hawaii and didn't feel like going anywhere else. There was a very loud band playing on our first night there, which affected our ability to order. The service was slow, and the portions were like tasting sizes - and crazy expensive. The food was good though. I cannot recommend this restaurant for dining, but the bar is good on a quiet night.Special Features: