Rays on the Bay
78-128 Ehukai St.
Keauhou, HI 96740Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Rays on the Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://raysonthebay.com/
- Phone: 8089364911x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Su 5:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
Bar Service M-Su 5:30 p.m.-11 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Jayson Malla
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Rays on the Bay is proud to offer live entertainment nightly featuring some of the finest established as well as up and coming local artists here on the Big island. Our featured artists will delight you with selections of Hawaiian and contemporary music with something for everyone with a strong focus on Hawaiian flavored favorites.
A word from Rays on the Bay
Rays on the Bay Restaurant is known for its fresh seafood, farm-to-table cooking, handmade artisan pizzas,local island favorites and the coldest beer on the Big Island. Guests will enjoy warm and welcoming service, ocean front views, live entertainment seven days a week and the chance to see live Manta Rays feeding in the ocean directly in front of the restaurant. Rays is also the best spot to see a brilliant and romantic sunset while you gather with friends to enjoy hand crafted cocktails, pupus or dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Rays on the Bay - Best Restaurants in Keauhou ›
Rays on the Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (41)scenic view (41)romantic (26)special occasion (25)good for groups (12)vibrant bar scene (9)fit for foodies (7)hot spot (5)neighborhood gem (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great Ocean ViewsOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/15/2014Was impressed with the layout. Must confess, was a bit concerned with the noise level and party ruckus from the happy hour with its live music; however the ocean front seatings with private faux mini fire-pits were a surprise, being just far enough away from all the action to enjoy a quieter view of the ocean. Big wide cushion back seats made a big difference as well. Food was great, but to be honest we could have just as easily sat there and had drinks and conversation. Nice place to relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incredible sceneryCricketloverDined on 10/15/2014excellent dinner though portions were a bit skimpySpecial Features:
- great for honeymoonersfallweddingDined on 10/15/2014this was a great dinner to celebrate our honeymoon. we got to see manta rays swimming in the ocean while at our firepit dinner table!Special Features:
- excelent viewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014nice view, good food, service a bit slow. Excellent ambient except for noise. Too loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, not what I expectedClevelandreviewDined on 10/10/2014When my wife and I decided to go to Hawaii, we were told Rays on the Bay was a must see. However, we saw no rays, the kitchen was very slow and the wait staff bad mouthed the back of the house. The food was good, but even with a reservation we waited 15 minutes for a table and another 45 for salad and an appetizer. Pretty disappointing.Special Features:
- "SIGNATURE" steak was simply awful.blue4eyesDined on 10/4/2014Probably a combination of picking low quality meat and not being able to grill a piece of meat. I would be troubled to call it a signature steak.Special Features:
- Go theretouristsDined on 9/30/2014Go there before sunset! It's a great view! The service was too fast, you cannot eat the maincourse straight after finishing the first courseSpecial Features:
- Still needs fine tuningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Initially we were not happy with the hostess and her seating choice, she was unsympathetic to our needs. After talking with the manager things turned around and we were seated at a suitable table. Menu was full of a good variety. Alittle fine tuning is still needed with service. No offer of pepper when salads were served. No steak knives with our steaks. No one checking on us to see if we needed anything after our meal was served.Special Features:
- Great evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Enjoyed our dinner at Rays very much. Only objection is the fairly steep price.Special Features:
- Don't come hungry68rb250VIPDined on 9/22/2014Food was tasty , tiny entree portions . A friend had the short ribs it looked like it came from the children's menu . Menu says it's served with spinach . 3 leaves. Server was embarassed went to the kitchen and they explained it was "garnish". Outdoor seating dress appropriately . Good drinks . Friendly servers . A great place for cocktails and a snack . But dinner you'll starve to death .
- Beautiful SettingslickDined on 9/20/2014Food was great, being so close to the ocean and the manta rays is AMAZING.Special Features:
- newlywedDined on 9/20/2014Great views, good food and good service, We really enjoyed our meal and plan to go back.Special Features:
- Fantastic sunset view and foodSunsetheavenDined on 9/12/2014We have gone to Ray's twice now and it has been fantastic both times. Highly recommend! Everything was really GREAT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rays dining2TravelersVIPDined on 9/9/2014Our evenings at Rays on the Bay were average. The food was average and the service was inconsistant. We usually could not hear each other to talk while we ate because the live music was very very loud.Special Features:
- MixedKonaLocalDined on 9/9/2014Very nice. Food was great. Desert was disappointing. The brownie was basically 2 bites for $8!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant in Kona, HICharlieDined on 9/7/2014The restaurant was a great find in a fabulous location. The food was unique and very good and the service was excellent. We'll be sure to go there again when we next visit the Big Island.Special Features:
- Great eveningEmmzahDined on 9/6/2014Despite not seeing any of the manta rays, this was a great evening. Food was much better and cheaper than expected from a resort we thought would have cashed in on their position on the seafront and service was friendly. Enjoyed the burger and the cookie and ice cream dessert was enormous and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ray on the BaydizzydDined on 9/5/2014Decided to reserve for anniversary dinner at sunset. Everything we sampled was perfect from the pupu platter to the rib eye to the wonderful mango sweetbreads pudding. The manta ray show didn't start till after the boats left the area around 9pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerSistineDined on 8/24/2014The server was amazing and the food didn't disappoint. They made our 30th anniversary very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mantas rays?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The location was great and the setting very nice but we couldn't see the manta rays at all.Special Features:
- Vacation MustesbootwoDined on 8/21/2014We were told by a flight attendant who lives on this island to try this restaurant. It was a highlight of our meals out for sure. A must visit if you enjoy the sunset and ocean views.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014The food was good. Service was fair, maybe because it was busy. But it was bit too noisy: Loud musicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for the view-loved the food!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/17/2014We recently stayed at the Sheraton Kona. We ate here 2 nights and on both occasions the service was spot on and the food excellent. It was probably the best dining experience we had in 2 weeks in Hawaii including trips to Oahu and Maui prior to the Big Island. The observation deck to see the Manta Rays is a highlight but the food is excellent and not what you'd expect from a resort hotel restaurant. GO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, substandard servicefoodiefromwaDined on 8/16/2014We heard we could see "rays on the bay" and decided to have dinner here. A group of 6 of us sat at a circle table with chairs that are not ideal for comfort, but they are fine for sitting back and enjoying the view. Our waiter was not great and it affected our enjoyment of the evening. He brought us our drink orders and placed them randomly on the table for us to pass around to the correct person. We had to ask for coasters. Eventually we had to ask for water. When asked about sides and specifics about the menu, he did not seem that knowledgeable. One couple ordered salads as a starter which were delivered at the same times as the meals. He got better as the night went on but it affected our enjoyment of the evening and his tip.Special Features:
- SummerDined on 8/15/2014Love it, it will be one of my great memories of visiting HawaiiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome except no manta rays!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/11/2014Lovely restaurant with great surf views and ambience. Server was knowledgeable and friendly. Beautiful booth facing ocean. Only drawback is there were no manta rays to view and lots of people were standing on the lookout site and leaving very disappointed. One of the outdoor lights to draw the rays was also not working. Fluke night or regular manta ray disappointment?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ocean View, Great FoodvegfoodieDined on 8/11/2014We had the most amazing view. Our server provided great service and was super friendly as well. Food was delicious and the chef wiped up a wonderful Vegan dish!Special Features:
- Great Views!FoodieChapVIPDined on 8/4/2014It's been some time since I was at the Sheraton Keahou and I don't remember Rays the last time I was there. This was a nice surprise. Our server was very attentive to a fault. My daughter asked for mayo with her burger and received an outdated jar. The server went all over the restaurant and even to the other restuarant in the hotel. They came back with a couple packs of condiment size mayo and apologized for not having what she needed. They not only comped her meal, they gave her a dessert too. This was on top of the great view especially as the sun set and our table was situated with a great view even though we had 8. The food was worth its fare, but you kind of forget about the food when you have such great ambiance.Special Features:
- Great view odd menuAlohagirlDined on 7/29/2014Loved the location, had a fire pit table overlooking the water which was truly beautiful. Wine list was nothing too desirable and food choices were "odd" and very limiting. Prices on food were high especially for what you were getting. A lot of people ordering just bottles of wine and appetizers. Would go back for the location for sure but not for the food, and the service was nothing spectacular. Asked our server to take our picture, never did, said she was too busy. All in all, food and service was average tittering on below but the atmosphere was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun with the raysPunkrockrynoDined on 7/28/2014We made late reservations, with no problem. Had a drink looking at the sunset. Ate a wonderful dinner, then watched the rays swim after dinner. Good time for my wife and me.great friendly serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only go to see the raysCandoDined on 7/27/2014Waited 30 minutes just to get seated with a reservation. Waitress was way too busy to give any attention other than ask what we wanted to eat then the wrong meals were delivered to our table. Would go back to watch the beautiful manta rays but skip the dinner.Special Features:
- The following 244 reviews are from the Rays on the Bay reviews archive.
- Hit And MisstraveleritVIPDined on 12/4/2013They messed up our reservation on the first night. The hostesses were very rude. We almost walked out, but we just arrived in Hawaii and didn't feel like going anywhere else. There was a very loud band playing on our first night there, which affected our ability to order. The service was slow, and the portions were like tasting sizes - and crazy expensive. The food was good though. I cannot recommend this restaurant for dining, but the bar is good on a quiet night.Special Features:
- not accepting reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2013Although we had an amazing evening(s) at this restaurant, they are NOT accepting OpenTable reservations any longer and are now on a first come-first serve basis. We (willingly) waited for table to open bar side having a few drinks and taking in various music from talented artists over 2 different dinner visits while staying at the Sheraton Kona. I would highly recommend restaurant to anyone looking for unique and memorable dining experience, but just be prepared to wait for an open table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An OK spotrationalfearsDined on 10/10/2013The food and service are ok. Felt like we were one more diner to be served. The food is fair and priced high for what it is. The location on the bay is nice. The spectator traffic through the restaurant is a constant interruption. I do not recommend this restaurant. The bar area was quieter, more friendly, and served better food.Special Features:
- Went to see the Mantas, butEKNYVIPDined on 10/7/2013Went to see the Mantas, but didn't get to see any, though to be fair we didn't wait around that long. Apparently best to go after 8:30pm or so when the tour boats are done attracting the mantas away from close to the shore. Food was good but kind of pricey for what it was...Special Features:
- Overpriced, small portionsgoodFoodDined on 10/5/2013Portions were pretty small for the price. The manta rays were pretty far away from the viewing area. And a two hour limit on the rail seating was a little off putting, especially as the restaurant was not that busy.
- Outstanding!JojoDined on 10/5/2013We had a wonderful experience at Rays on the Bay. The food was outstanding, the view breathtaking, and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Great locationTechieDined on 10/3/2013Viewable manta rays is amazing. Food was really good. Ambience was nice and live music was fun and energetic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous Venue, Great foodDanielleVIPDined on 9/25/2013The venue should be the reason to visit Rays on the Bay. All of the food is great, but my husband really enjoyed ordering 4-5 appetizers and sharing because they were all really great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2013The restaurant is located in the Sheraton. They have a great bar/lounge with live music. The restaurant seating was not interrupted by the music. It was a nice mix. You are overlooking the ocean and at night the tour boats anchor out front for the night snorkel/dive to view the giant manta rays. I would certainly recommend this place for dinner/drinks. We did not stay at the Sheraton, but they offer comp valet, and the hotel staff was very polite and treated us as if we were guests there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.