Ray’s and Stark Bar at LACMA
5905 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90036Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Ray’s and Stark Bar at LACMA
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.raysandstarkbar.com/
- Phone: (323) 857-6180
- Hours of Operation:
BRUNCH: Saturdays and Sundays 10AM–3PM
LUNCH: Weekdays 11:30AM–3PM
DINNER: Nightly 5–10PM
BAR: Open Daily Til 11PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Viet Pham
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Ray’s and Stark Bar at LACMA
Ray's offers a bold, farm-to-table Mediterranean menu based on seasonal, local ingredients and the restaurant's wood burning oven and grill. A separate bar and lounge, Stark Bar, offers handcrafted, seasonal cocktails, local artisan beers a California based wine list, and 20 different mineral waters.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ray’s and Stark Bar at LACMA reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (116)fit for foodies (102)neighborhood gem (78)great for lunch (77)hot spot (63)notable wine list (47)kid-friendly (42)great for brunch (41)vibrant bar scene (41)special occasion (23)romantic (23)good for groups (19)scenic view (18)late-night find (7)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Celebrated the hubby's birthday over the weekend. None of us had ever been to Rays; so we were looking forward to a new experience. Rays did not disappoint. Rays offers small-to-medium-to-large plates. We decided to try a little of everything and share among us. We had Burrata with Pistou, Romanesco with yellow curry, Salmon with fingerling potatoes, and a whole host of other tasty dishes, each better than the one before. I would certainly recommend this place for couples or a small group of friends. The service was friendly and attentive. The wine and spirit menu was suitable and the atmosphere was relaxing. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bay Area Quality...every timeLongBeachFoodieVIPDined on 11/22/2014This restaurant does not disappoint. The food is fresh, imaginative and always delicious. Nicely curated wine selection. Divine desserts. Lovely view of the Resnick Pavilion and the Broad, Chris Burden 's iconic light sculpture, palm trees and the hills...very L.A.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceeldarDined on 11/22/2014Surrounding are pleasant, but the food quality was average, and the service was slow and ultimately extremely rude. There were some dietary restrictions due to food allergy that we made very clear when placing our order that were simply not heeded. The first course had to be sent back to be remade, and the second course contained the offending food items such that half of it could not be eaten, but at that point we needed to leave so we ate what we could. On pointing this out to the staff, another fifteen minutes were wasted while several different members of the staff came over to the table to have us repeat the story. In the end, the manager came back to the table with the original bill saying, "unfortunately, the bill cannot be changed". Excuse me??? What happened to "I'm sorry we made this error; how can we make things right for you?"??? This is shockingly bad customer service and I would never dream of returning to this restaurant. The wait staff needs a refresher course on understanding the menu and efficiency, and the management needs a remedial course in customer relations or maybe they should simply all be fired.
- A cut above usual museum diningWilmetteBoxerDined on 11/22/2014Our party was pleased with everything from the pizza to the steak hash to the BBQ sandwich. Service was attentive and quick, as well as warm and friendly. The menu is full of attractive options for breakfast, brunch, or lunch. Seating areas vary, some open, some more private areas for groups. We found a lot to like starting with the excellent bread and we lingered longer than we expected, felt welcome, and will absolutely return when we go to LACMA next time. We had heart a lot of good thing about this place and we were not disappointed--not to mention that the museum itself is sensational!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We went there for brunch. Everyone was very happy with their food. It was really really good. The kids had french toast. It was even too much food for them so they got to go boxes. We had the benedict burger and the duck sausage. They were both delicious! The sauce was perfect. We asked to see the dinner menu and we will definitely go back for dinner. There was so much on the menu we wanted to try. We liked the ambiance at LACMA, first great food and then great art. Service was superb. We'll go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014I took a friend visiting from Hawaii. Rays was the best decision I made for brunch. From the moment you drive off of Wilshire, you start to feel the magic of LACMA. When you enter the driveway your experience starts. You're greeted with warmth and the wait staff is wonderful, warm, and sincerely NICE. The food is good but the Bloody Mary is out of this world. The best I've had! This was my 2nd time there and both were ultimate experiences. Thank You.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will try again but will avoid Wurst NightGratefulForGoodCookingDined on 11/17/2014We came to Ray's for a sociable family dinner prior to an evening event. Had no idea it would be a special sausage-based menu. The dishes were thuddingly uninteresting. The only one of us happy with her meal was my sister, who ordered a salad and two very good vegetable side dishes. I'll be back to Ray's out of sporadic necessity and will order as she did.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014Cuisine was exceptional, service was excellent, and the atmosphere was wondeful for our anniversary dinner. I highly recommend Rays as a wonderful way to edify and thank someone important in your life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014Rays was a fantastic restaurant. The food was recognizable yet often with a twist like the brussel sprout salad. It was the best we've ever had but aren't sure exactly what else was in it besides brussel sprouts. We were a party of 2 and ordered 6 things to share plus dessert. Loved that we each got to taste a variety of dishes. Great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Food was delicious, service excellent - a wonderful spot for any kind of special dinner out - really and truly lovely! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Our lunch was "succulent", delicious and tasty. Congratulations to Viet for the quality of our meals! Thank you for the Waiters who took care of us and did a great job. The meals elaborated by the Chefs are wonderful at a very bargain price for the high quality of the ingredients used and the passion provided by the cooks for preparing our plates. The homemade chicken pate was awesome, then the salmon was cooked perfectly as the duck so tasty, the home made bread has the exact same taste than the ones sold in Germany! Same consistency: crunchy outside, soft inside. A pleasure! We would suggest the banana dessert...it is just the best!Special Features:
- Love, Love, LoveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014This is my go-to place when company comes to visit. We love this restaurant. The food, the atmosphere and the staff are wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014Have eaten here on several occasions. Never had a bad meal. The service is outstanding. You can never go wrong eating here. Our table was ready and waiting for us when we showed up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining that suits artistic moodheycamsterVIPDined on 11/10/2014Dining at Ray's is always an experience of discovery. The menu changes to reflect the season or the current exhibits at LACMA. The bartenders offer inspired drink temptations which complement the dining or just drinking fancies. After several visits of dining inside the Renzo Piano "lean to" glass walled restaurant building, I chose to dine outside this time to soak in more of the twilight and early evening air - a perfect al fresco experience! Do stop Sean and say hi when you order your drink from Stark's and take the time to read all the menu items and the ingredients. Ask about the things you read that don't sound familiar - this is a great restaurant that whets the curiosity while it satisfies hunger!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jmk2VIPDined on 11/9/2014Terrific food in museum setting with excellent service. Will be back again and again!Special Features:
- WandaDined on 11/9/2014We had two pizzas, which were very good, but difficult to cut. Pre-cut would have been nice.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Had a fantastic dinner at Rays. The service was top notch, and the food and ambiance was just about perfect. We both had their great Neapolitan pizza, and the flavors were perfectly balances. I would definitely highly recommend this restaurant for a nice evening out. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Rays is known locally as a great weekend brunch spot. But you're missing out if you're not having dinner there. We're Miracle Miles locals and have lots of dining options, but Rays has earned being our favorite place with consistently great service (thanks Martin!) and outstanding food. In the LA sea of celeb chef restaurants Chef Viet is quietly putting out amazing food for these town. Some current notable selections: the asian chicken salad, burrata cheese, best grilled salmon in the city, and the signature agnolotti pasta. Don't miss the bread. Bonus? Gorgeous & quiet indoor dining and energetic outside bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014My birthday lunch at Rays was one of the very best dining experiences that I have ever had, and that says a lot, considering that my husband and I are huge foodies. The food and service far surpassed our expectations. The entire staff made me feel so special and all had great senses' of humor. It is certainly one of the most special days (first Urban Light at LACMA then lunch at Rays) I have had and will remember for years to come. I'm already making plans to go back with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014My husband and I were there for lunch and it was one of the best dinning experiences I have ever had. We were welcomed by Martin who sat us, and from there our server took over and recommended great dishes like the pilot and hamachi. Food was outstanding and Everyone was kind, friendly and efficient. Pricing was a little high but all in all it was worth it. We will definitely be back and would recommend it to all of our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT!!!FoodnikVIPDined on 11/6/2014I had a beautiful lunch at Ray's and Stark at LACMA the other day. Everything about it was exceptional - the service, the comfort of having a choice between outside and in, and the food. We had lamb burgers which were perfectly seasoned and grilled, served with Cucumber and feta cheese. The creme brûlée for dessert was the best - (and the largest portion!!!) I ever had.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Ray's is a regular on my business lunch rotation; great food (don't miss the bread ), great and fast service and very convenient location right off of Wilshire at LACMA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014We enjoyed an awesome meal here. We had a reservation and were seated right away. Although our reservation was late, we never felt hurried or rushed. Our server, gave us great recommendations which we followed. We split a salad and each enjoyed an entrée, then split a dessert. Again, we were never hurried or rushed, servers were there to refill water when needed (They have a water menu, for me who doesn't drink alcohol a huge benefit), and our server checked on us just enough. Overall a great experience and a great meal. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location & food, slow serviceKatandRichVIPDined on 10/31/2014We are members of LACMA and we come often for cocktails and snacks. This was our first time for dinner. First cocktail took a while. Waiter was difficult to find. Bar service was also slow. Food is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014The food and service were great as usual. Don't forget to order the brussels sprouts they are awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014This gem is perfect on so many levels. A very creative and well-executed menu is only one of the elements that makes the dining experience memorable. The staff is attentive, knowledgeable, friendly, accommodating and helpful. We were asked if we were celebrating a special occasion (our 44th wedding anniversary) and felt the added effort to make our evening special. Rays is a lovely venue for a delightful lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Chef?sunsetpattyVIPDined on 10/26/2014We go often to Ray's after Sunday music at LACMA and have always found it cutting edge. We noticed several months ago that they had discontinued their wonderful "BTOs" - better than Oreos, served to all after the meal. After missing a few months we were back on Sunday and notice now that they no longer serve an "amuse bouche." The service seemed a bit spotty in a very uncrowded restaurant. The bread is still the best in Los Angeles. My octopus was just so so, when it used to be excellent. My husband's pasta was very good. We are wondering if there has been a change of chefs.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Best selection of interesting waters in California. You guys took it to the next level, thank you for that.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Impeccable service from the bouncer the moment we set foot on the property, to the hostess, wait staff, and bartenders. Although we frequently dine out at upscale restaurants, this was one of the finest experiences we've ever had, thanks to the outstanding service. The ambiance of the lounge, where we had a cocktail while waiting to be seated, was very hip. Not too loud to talk, but energetic. The crispy pork belly is a delicious entrée, and the sauce makes it superb. The hanger steak was also top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Rays is fit for everyone, any size, or any occasion. If you're dining alone, the bar offers the full menu and the bartenders and locals will keep you entertained. Rays is the best place to celebrate a special occasion, you can see the lamp posts from the bar. Everyone was satisfied and thrilled and kept raving about Rays the rest of the weekend. Thank you again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Great ambiance, great food, great for large groups. The staff is very friendly and professional. Overall it was an amazing day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Museum dining spotView2eatDined on 10/23/2014As far as museum dining spots go this was one boasts good food and smooth service. Just wish in a museum setting it didn't appear as an afterthought. The space is at best a nothing too special dining room. Tables are interesting with a pocket drawer for your knife and fork. The space could be enhanced by a space designer with some imagination to bring the visual dining experience on oar with the food. Menu is imaginative and well executed and delivered. Wine list covers all the bases. Just need to zip up the contemporary look.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch the waiterdineoutVIPDined on 10/18/2014Dining in a glass box with strange tables with a built in silverware drawer that the hostess dropped the silverware out of twice. Ordered house wine, drank what was served, fine not great, but ok. Ordered another glass-.Waiter brings it, saying it was not the same wine (the original not available), but was the same price. Ok, whatever. The bill arrived, we were charged for two glasses of a way more expensive wine. When questioned the waiter was shocked that we complained. Really, "we wanted a price adjustment?" You betcha! How dare he! What a stupid experience for any restaurant. Shame on them
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Rays is a fantastic spot! Great food! Great drinks! Great service! Great atmosphere! Very clean! Martin is an outstanding manager! I noticed him go by every table to make sure everyone was doing ok! He was also running drinks and food to tables which you don't see a lot of managers do! Very exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014We were in Los Angeles for the LACMA and the restaurant was packed, though we were seated within a few minutes of our reservation time. Although we were warned that our food might take a while, we were served pretty quickly. The food was good and the service was very good, considering how very busy the restaurant was. We would definitely try Rays again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Fantastic food, great wine! Excellent service! The staff was so friendly and the service was quick. We placed our order and it came quickly.Special Features:
- A complete day at LACMAJohnVIPDined on 10/16/2014Nothing better than a very nice lunch before or after spending time at LACMA ... Ray's provides great food and exceptional service to make the day complete ...Special Features:
- generally love itcomfortfoodieDined on 10/14/2014When crowded it is quite noisy, but the decor, service and innovative menu almost make up for it--not to mention the location at the museum. Wish there were some way to tone down the noise at busy loud times (more fabric?). Service is impeccable. The tables with their silverware drawers always intrigue. So beautifully done. And my delightful server even brought me a black napkin "lest i get white lint on my black dress." How cool is that? Great for a lady's lunch or a nice lunch with the husband.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014Dined on 9/24/2014 I had an important introductory business meeting (a career opportunity) in Beverly Hills with the corporate president from an East Coast based company. We needed a restaurant that was convenient to his hotel, was opened late and would make an impression of LA iconic dining. Our experience exceeded all of my expectations from the follow-up on my reservation; the accommodating our need to be able to conduct some important "meet & greet" discussions (we were seated at a back corner table with a more subdued noise level) and a memorable dining experience. Rays provided all of this! And as it happened, my visiting guest was born in Italy and found the menu choices high quality of authentic Italian cuisine. 5 Stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Amazing Cocktails, went to the Hollywood Costume Exhibition and afterwards to the Stark Bar. Great themed cocktails and fast service. We will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.