Ray’s and Stark Bar at LACMA
5905 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90036Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
Ray’s and Stark Bar at LACMA
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.raysandstarkbar.com/
- Phone: 3238576180x
- Hours of Operation:
BRUNCH: Saturdays and Sundays 10AM–3PM
LUNCH: Weekdays 11:30AM–3PM
DINNER: Nightly 5–10PM
BAR: Open Daily Til 11PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Kris Morningstar
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Ray’s and Stark Bar at LACMA
Ray's offers a bold, farm-to-table Mediterranean menu based on seasonal, local ingredients and the restaurant's wood burning oven and grill. A separate bar and lounge, Stark Bar, offers handcrafted, seasonal cocktails and a dynamic menu of small plates.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ray’s and Stark Bar at LACMA reviews from OpenTable diners
184 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (115)fit for foodies (88)great for lunch (85)neighborhood gem (48)vibrant bar scene (48)great for brunch (46)special occasion (39)hot spot (28)good for groups (24)scenic view (23)romantic (20)notable wine list (13)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (11)Show More
- Nice BrunchFoodieDined on 9/20/2014It is always nice to combine a good meal and a trip to LACMA for a wonderful day. My friend and I shared the short rib sandwich (delicious) and the Farro/brocolini ( good- but a tad sweet for me) and the panna cotta with berries was fantastic. I always enjoy my meals here.Special Features:
- Great time at LACMAOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Great time for us. Each dish was prepared beautifully with great flavors. Noise level was perfect. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014This restaurant is just so good. We booked through Open Table, I was sent an email and received a phone call to confirm, was contacted again to double check on my food allergy. The service at the restaurant was above and beyond, attentive and so friendly. Our waitress was amazing and super fun, she helped guide us through the food and drink menus (as we could have ordered everything it all looked so good). Food was incredible, everything so delicious, and small portions so we got to try a lot of different things, each bite we took oozed with unique flavors that were completely unexpected. The downside: the price, if you're looking for a cheap dinner, this is not the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I rememberedFoodXplorerDined on 9/19/2014We enjoyed the cheese plate, but they were a bit stingy on the amount: 3 thin slices. The Diver Scallops were delicious. We were disappointed that, having made reservations well in advance, we couldn't be seated outside with the music (it was jazz night), but that was my fault for not specifying that in the reservation. Inside, the ambiance was pretty blah. I might eat here again if I happen to be here for an exhibit and I could eat outside, but otherwise, no.Special Features:
- Good Restaurant at the MuseumfabrixxDined on 9/18/2014I was very pleased with the restaurant, great food, interesting drink menus and excellent service. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014I can't even think of the words to describe just how great our experience was. A great wine list that could please any palate. Excellent service from ALL (wait staff, water-menu!!!, bussers, runners, everyone!). The food was to-die-for. The homemade pasta dish are amazing. Thank You LACMA to provide us with these amazing restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014First time for lunch with mom then brunch with my hubby. We started with a great Bloody Mary - nice spicy. Loved the celery and the big ice cubes. I had the Chopped Salad and my hubby had the Hamachi. Both were delicious and a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Hostess and server were very attentive and friendly. Very personalize service of the manager Martin.Special Features:
- Nice place at the LACMAMarcLADined on 9/16/2014Ok place to meet when at the LACMA. What kills me is that they don't validate for parking anymore. That $12 added to the tab. Food is pricey
- Not llke it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2014We've been there several times and enjoyed the food, service, ambiance, etc. This time was a total disappointment. The food was excellent, but the rest: poor. The dining room was closed so we ate outside with lots of bar noise and traffic near us, plastic tables, water served without ice, very limited menu, slow service, mischarged on the wine, mix-up with credit card (ours temporarily charged to another table). We won't go there again.Special Features:
- A great findMableDined on 9/14/2014We decided to have lunch at Ray & Stark Bar at LACMA after the Expressionists show. The food was excellent...we had roasted romaine salad and a pizza. Both wre absolutely delicious. For desert, rum cake. Wonderful. Great wine and beer list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Patina gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/13/2014I'm one Angeleno who appreciates that Patina has raised the bar on event cuisine in our city. This was our first visit to Ray's and it won't be our last! Superb service, superb bar, superb food. My starter was sauteed cauliflower -- I could have consumed a bucket of it. Crispy, flavorful with a touch of heat. Followed up by the hanger steak -- beautiful on the eyes and on the palate, it melts in your mouth like a fine filet. Husband had a 3-cheese (choose your own) plate and the heirloom tomato/burrata plate were absolutely delicious works of art. Diverse bar menu and the only water menu I've ever seen in L.A., we look forward to returning! Soon!Special Features:
- just weird foodcriticDined on 9/13/2014this restaurant has too weird of a menu to make this a functional and useful restaurant at a museum. This restaurant is on the premises of a public institution and should not be so veeerrry offbeat.Special Features:
- veggieDined on 9/13/2014we had a 5pm reservation, they were not ready to seat us at 455, no one asked for our name or never came to get us as after we told them we were there, We left. bad service.
- OccasionalReviewerOccasionalReviewerVIPDined on 9/13/2014The restaurant did not honor my request to sit outside. We were seated inside and the air conditioning was not working properly. Plus, they were understaffed and our food was not served as ordered; i.e., our first and main courses were served together despite instructions to the contrary. No one checked to see if our meal was served to our satisfaction until we were finished. We had to "hunt down" a bus boy to ask for salt/pepper and plates for the pizza (which never came). Despite the very hot temperature this last weekend, it was cooler on the patio than inside the restaurant. And, to top things off, the restaurant double charged my friend on her credit card which she discovered by checking her statement on line the next day.
- Not a destination restaurantplumdumplingsDined on 9/12/2014Nice that it's at the museum and I'll go again, but it is looking worn out - starting to have a Denny's vibe, not fine dining. Service was good, food overall decent. Only two larges dishes available and they were out of one of them. We had one amazing dish - pork belly (or was it lamb?) with compressed watermelon, tons of mint, a little chile, black vinegar - beautiful looking and amazing contrasting tastes and textures. Near the top of my list of best dishes for the year! Nice panna cotta, too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Very Loud and boisterous due to friday night Jazz! Food was good but pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/12/2014great place to eat and listen to jazz on friday evenings...we had a great timeSpecial Features:
- DisappointedBooked2DineVIPDined on 9/9/2014While our food was good, service was s..l..o..w. Our waiter was not attentive and surly. We felt ignored. We waited for 10 minutes before he took our order, and then another 10 minutes for our drinks to arrive. My wife enjoyed her chopped salad. My Benedict burger was tasty though much rarer than I'd ordered. We were running out of time or I might have sent it back.
- Elegance Indeed!AntheaDined on 9/7/2014The French Maitre d' (lady) was wonderfully friendly and helpful and chose her favourite table for us - special! We loved the cutlery in the table drawers and the red decor. The food (we had pizza, peppars, and chocolat mousse) was particularly tasty, the service courteous (only took a bit too long once), and the whole experience very elegant and tasteful. Lovely ambience for our intimate birthday celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited but nice menuCathiVIPDined on 9/6/2014Was heading to a film event and decided to try Ray's based on the reviews. The menu was limited but the Mediterranean pizza was nicely cooked and tasty. The wine options were reasonably priced and a generous pour. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- Best Museum Lunch PlaceMvO1Dined on 9/4/2014Creative menu. Nicely served. No pressure. Better food than last time we ate here.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/2/2014The food was poor and very over priced. I would never eat there again and would not recommend anyone to eat there. After leaving a voicemail for the manager to contact me no one called. I called again and no one answered the phone.
- Great food, inconsistent serviceAbbodanzaVIPDined on 8/30/2014We have had several meals with good service here, but this time our waiter was disorganized, intrusive, and oddly inappropriate. He was the only impediment to a wonderful outdoor dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing ServicePSP1Dined on 8/25/2014As always great food, especially the Wurst menu. Bad service, in-attentive waiter, interested more in his fellow workers than his tables. No knowledge of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French ToastWardDined on 8/17/2014How can you run out of French Toast for a Sunday brunch before 1pm? That is what happened to us. Our second choice was quite good but one wonders how such a simple dish can run out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, music too loud4PleasureDined on 8/15/2014Four of us enjoyed a rare outing together to LACMA and Rays on a Friday evening. We would have liked to have been able to include all 4 in one conversation, but the live music outside was so loud, we could barely hear the person next to us talking. While the atmosphere was energetic and lively, we would have preferred the outdoor music to be toned down. We all enjoyed our very tasty entree choices and service was very good, including explanations of the unusual menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same old...same old....MashaDashaDined on 8/15/2014Same old carb laden menu, same old good waitstaff & service, same old waste of a potentially great eatery beautifully located on the LACMA campus. What is offered - pizzas and pastas are well prepared....but boring. With the departure of their executive chef, let us hope for a new vibrant menu of stuff you want to eat rather than just settle for.Special Features:
- Menu Needs More RegularsCheetahishDined on 8/14/2014Too many odd choices for people to pick from. Squid Ink Pasta? Could have better pizza choices and pastas. I like the menu at The Getty the best.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014It was great. Took the babe out there and she loved it. My bank account didnt like it much but at least my date did. Beautiful scenerySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/12/2014overpriced, terrible service, mediocre food. have tried before was hoping for better experience.
- Super pasta dish!!!!!TexascountessDined on 8/9/2014Loved my pasta dish. Forget about the pizzas which are generally soggy. The bread was amazing. Great to have a restaurant of that quality when you are visiting the museum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive and unusual...2travelersVIPDined on 8/8/2014R&S is almost always a good choice for something different. An inventive (some would say quirky) kitchen is continually producing some distinctive menu items (Sea scallops in broth, risotto-stuffed pasta as examples) are excellent, as are regular favorites like the pork belly and the spectacular seasonal tomato/burrata saled. They've wisely lessened some of the emphasis on small plates, and the menu size remains somewhat limited. Service staff is highly skilled and appropriately attentive. An additional distinguishing feature is their fascinating knowledgeability on the subject of sparkling mineral water (of which more than a dozen brands are on offer, along with a brief education to go with them). Thoroughly worthwhile.Special Features:
- Jazz, Food, and Great ServiceGoodartandfoodDined on 8/8/2014From our hostess Cindy to our waiter Shalimar and even the attentive bus staff, Ray and Sktark Bar at LACAMA provided us a wonderful experience for a Friday evening. With our gallery visit before hand, followed by the wine and food and accompanying jazz in the LA summer evening it was hard not to have an iconic LA evening on all counts.Special Features:
- Mostly goodlisaDined on 8/7/2014The Benedict Burger was genius and every bite a pleasure. The Roman, no cheese, pizza was a little soggy and salty--the olives--but not terrible. Rum butter cake wasn't as good as I anticipated--cake was dry and the sauce a little gritty with sugar. Service was efficient but not gushy despite the lunchtime crowd. I'd go back to try some other items on the menu and to people watch at the LACMA visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014halibut was delicious but a TINY portion- -bread was good. It was a pleasant place to relax.Special Features:
- ConsistencyHalpVIPDined on 7/31/2014Quality and originality in food prep and presentation.Special Features:
- Great LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2014Loved our lunch...great salad great cocktail and just a fun lively spot at LACMASpecial Features:
- Don't bother! Definite Pass!KellyODined on 7/26/2014Expensive, loud, well below average. We were excited for this ressie, but the table was crammed in & crowded by the bar. The menu was nothing great, very average food. Service was slow. Night was ruined by price gouging at bar. They added $2 per martini on a line item called "DC". When we inquired, we were told this was "dealers choice", and is a standard up charge on martinis (making it a very small cocktail glass pour for a whopping $18)! Rather than remove the charge management was condescending & dismissive. Dinner: $300 for 5ppl, lacked charm & all else special. Service was slow & mediocre, management was rude. We would have been better off @ the food trucks on Wilshire! Will not be returning. Shame! Ruined a lovely summer night.
- RAY'S DELIVERSHapaHaoleDined on 7/25/2014Fabulous dinner. Wonderful setting. Cocktails with the Calder!Special Features:
- Dine LA TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2014Had Ray's Dine LA dinner menu. I was impressed with the quantity and quality of the food. It was definitely a satisfying meal and a great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.