95 Water Street
Saint John's, NF A1C1A5Neighborhood:
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.raymondsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7095795800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm -9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary European
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Raymonds
Living in Newfoundland and Labrador, we’re blessed in having access to some of the best seafood, meat, and produce in the world. Having such a bountiful larder right on our doorsteps means we’re able to adopt a truly sustainable approach to fine dining – sourcing locally-grown ingredients and getting to know independent purveyors. We've made every effort to make dining at Raymonds a unique and rare treat. Visit us at 95 Water Street in the heart of downtown St. John’s. Our dinner menu, prepared by head chef Jeremy Charles, is inspired by rustic Atlantic Canadian cuisine. It features authentic dishes that take advantage of Newfoundland and Labrador’s rich variety of seafood, wild game, berries and vegetables, while also exploring innovative, 'haute cuisine' ingredient combinations and finishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Raymonds - Best Restaurants in St. John's ›
Raymonds reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (121)notable wine list (104)fit for foodies (93)romantic (83)scenic view (72)hot spot (30)good for groups (28)neighborhood gem (13)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Exceeded ExpectationsarmchairgourmetDined on 8/30/2014More often then not when I read a restaurant review by the snob critics the restaurant is usually disappointing. Not the case with Raymond's. Fantastic food, knowledgeable staff wonderful wine list. My wife and I did the 7 course tasting with wine pairings. Food was superb. Our waiter was engaging and well versed. This place is not cheap...but neither are great seats at a boadway show! In all exceeded my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded already high expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Very memorable dinner. Definitely lived up to the hype. Service was excellent and our meals were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Experience050937k2Dined on 8/22/2014Raymonds was an awesome dining experience. As someone who is gluten free I found the staff to be overly accommodating, and I was served mostly the same as everyone else. Substitutions were made if an item was not gluten free. The food and presentation was second to none :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mooseDined on 8/20/2014mine and my wife's favorite place to eat! May add another meat choice for appetizer and main courde!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World class diningFoodDudeDined on 8/19/2014I've heard about this restaurant on my trip and people claimed that it's better then any restaurant in Canada. I've visit some high end restaurants in the world from Nobu to Wolfgang puck to Joey Robuchon. This definetly holds it's ground. Probable the best tasting menu I can recall. I'm matching this up against Michilin star restaurants for service, selection of wines and amazing presentation and bites. Hard to pin down a favourite on the 7 course tasting menu. Cod tounge, scallop or the mushroom pasta are all equally impressive with the wine pairings really bringing out the flavour. For the foodie or business man that really want to impress, this is a must when visiting St. John's.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantfoodaholicDined on 8/19/2014Great food, stellar service! Very expensive, but worth the splurge. A wonderful fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Fine dining at it's best!ringramDined on 8/16/2014Amazing food and service worth the splurge! Would highly recommend! The staff are great,knowledgeable, smooth service without being stuffy! The food was delicious, presentation was tot notch as well. The sommeliers were amazing as well. Furthermore the staff worked as a team! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!CarolynDined on 8/13/2014The food and service at Raymond's is outstanding. We enjoyed the 5 course tasting menu with wine pairing option, incredible! It's not hard to see why this is one of Canada's best! The atmosphere was great, it was surprisingly relaxing and the staff were so knowledgeable and friendly.Special Features:
- Absolutely deliciousyummyfindsDined on 8/12/2014We had a fabulous time at Raymonds! The five course meal was to die for, the wine list was extensive and our waitress was incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. At the end of the night chef Jeremy came and greeted us. I appreciate that he uses as many local ingredients as possible. Overall a lovely experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining experienceIheartfoodDined on 8/9/2014Took my mom there as a surprise to celebrate her 60th Birthday. We were a party of 4 and had an amzing experience. The food, wine and service was all perfect! Great place to celebrate any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed another wonderful dining experience At Raymonds. Each year we dine there as the cuisine and service are always consistent. It is a treat to see the changes in the menus. Many of the choices are prepared from local foods. We look forward to dining there when we return to St. Johns next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/7/2014More outstanding than words can describe. Food, wine and service were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealGreatBigCDined on 8/7/2014My wife and I had our wedding reception at Raymond's August 2012 and were blown away by the whole experience, as were all of our guests! We were equally impressed by the meal we recently had, August 2014, and would recommend this restaurant to anybody!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerFussyeaterDined on 8/7/2014Truly one of the best dinners we have had. Top-notch service. Great ambience. Highest recommendation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lilttle dissapointed this yearp45crokDined on 8/7/2014I've been going to Raymond's for a few years now. Since it is quite expensive (almost $300 for my wife and I this year with tip & tax) we only go on our wedding anniversary. I enjoy a little special treatment, delicious food and a quiet, romantic atmosphere. This year all of these things were lacking. I think they should have a policy where small children are not allowed. This year both an infant and a toddler where present and they were at times loud and often distracting. After making a reservation and them calling the night before (I answered and spoke with here) I was quite surprised (and a little annoyed) to have them call again while I was eating there! The really strange part was the woman who called me was the one who check us in.Special Features:
- Dinner for four at Raymond'smadrasDined on 7/31/2014The nitty gritty - wife had halibut, was slightly dry and oversalted. Remainder of plate was good. I had pork trio which was great all around, Bro had tenderoin. I personally detest seeing steaks tied with string, to me its a ripoff. Cut the thing thick for that price. Sis in law had mushroom strudle. Very rich but to me taste like chicken fat. Appies were pasta special, very good and oysters, also very good. Wine was 2009 Clos de los Siete, personal bargain fav. Desserts not satifying overall. Service and plating great. Forgive grammar, typed on mobile!Special Features:
- MandGDined on 7/31/2014Service was impeccable, Erin the sommelier was outstanding, decor was very nice, beautiful view when near the windows. Food was very good. Would rate it in the top three restaurants we have been to. The cost was very high but we are assuming it has something to do the time of year.Special Features:
- Not on my top 50TopShelfDined on 7/29/2014Giving Raymonds 2 stars for their food may seem harsh but when you're rated #1 in Canada and have the nations best on the top 50 list as peers you have to put a great meal together. Raymonds simply had one failure .... no flavor. Each dish was presented beautifully but were very bland.
- AmazingRachard71Dined on 7/26/2014Great food and atmosphere - no wonder it was rated of Canada's best new restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raymonds lived up to expectationsvoytekDined on 7/26/2014Let me get the bad out of the way. We ordered the 5 course tasting menu, and mentioned please no bacon, when the server ske asked if we had any special considerations or allergies. One of the dishes was prepared with bacon, and it overpowered everything, even though I didn't eat it. The price point for this restaurant is beyond what we normally choose, but we were in town only for a short period of time, and it wasn't likely we'd be visiting here again, so we decided to try the #1 rated restaurant for our special occasion. I won't say if the food was "worth the price", but the evening was a great experience. The staff were incredible, friendly, not stuffy, as was the atmosphere in the restaurant. Seems I ran out of room to write.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We died and went to RaymondsFoodie49Dined on 7/25/2014Reserved at Raymonds on the advice of a friend when I was heading to St John's with family. Only got around to doing so some 3 weeks before our trip -- and it was nearly too late! Hm, thought I -- is this just hype, or….? Well, it wasn't just hype. The service was excellent, the food, sublime. So many ingredients, so many flavours, each dish prepared with such care, to perfection. It does not get any better than this. How could we not choose the cod, for our first visit to St John's? it was outstanding, as were the beef tenderloin and pasta main of the day. As for the dessert… who ever knew that such a thing as 'lovage' existed? well, Raymonds made a sorbet of it. Simply divine. Attentive service; outstanding wine menu. You must go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedRestaurants007Dined on 7/25/2014Food was great but a little overrated, pretentious, and toooooo expensive. There are plenty of great places to eat without having to mortgage your home.Special Features:
- Stunning!kakewDined on 7/22/2014Everything about Raymonds is stunning- the food, building, service and view! You can tell everything is fresh and prepared skillfully. Could not recommend highly enough. May not be great for picky eaters but they will accommodate special dietary requirements. A lot of fish options and surprisingly no chicken. Highly recommend the beef tenderloin.Special Features:
- Dinner for FourlivetoeatDined on 7/18/2014The wine list was abundant and the food options were incredible. We had two 7 course tastings, the steak and cod entrees. The waitstaff I believe was generous in providing the two ladies that did not order the 7 course tasting a small sampler however there were 2 small hairs in the one of the samplers!! This I believe is unacceptable in any restaurant but specifically in such a fine establishment. Needless to say that put a damper on the entire experience. Raymond's did cover our bottle of wine though. The duck breast was over cooked and the slice of meat in the strawberry soup was awkward to eat. The seafood options of halibut and cod were incredible and both the entrees were generous and delicious - I'd stick with the cod entree.Special Features:
- Works of ArtSnowdancerDined on 7/15/2014Raymond's has made it to the top of a couple of "best restaurant" lists, and it is certainly the best restaurant I have ever eaten in. I had the 7 course tasting menu with wine pairings. The restaurant was full, but our server and sommelier made me feel that my companion and I were the only two people in the place. Each dish was a work of art-almost a shame to eat, but not quite. The chef's selection included items that I never would have ordered if left on my own. Each dish was a happy surprise. I cannot recommend Raymond's too highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly one of the bed in the countryChris902Dined on 7/12/2014I had high expectations and they were exceeded. One of the best in the country. Seven course tasting menu was exceptional value and I have never experienced seafood of this caliber. The room is grand and the service is formal, professional and incredibly efficient. Worth anchoring an entire trip to St John's around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomefoodiepart2Dined on 7/10/2014It was a experience of good food , presentation, knowledgeable waitress made the food even more enjoyable and good atmosphere. The offered wine paring and our waitress was an expert even though we did not choose this route. We asked for 5 course meal it was amazing from start to finished meaning appetizer to desert a wonderful experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/10/2014Raymond's is likely not to be a regular outing for most due to price point but it is definitely a must for special occasions. Unforgettable food and service. Do yourself a favour and make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not at this priceBigmakVIPDined on 7/10/2014Hard to believe its ranking. Interesting menu but other than dessert nothing stood out. Duck promised medium rare and was well done. At close to $50, entrees should be perfect. Service and view were excellent. Love high ceilings and old buildings. Louder than expected and more casual. Hard to recommend at these prices and I can find far better places at lesser prices in most cities in North America. Maybe it was an off night.Special Features:
- Fantasticcemerysa1Dined on 7/9/2014I can see why it was rated the best restaurant in Canada. Fantastic meal, unbelievably professional service, but not too stuffy or full of itself. Expensive of course, but worth it for anyone that likes fine food. Or just eating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantFoodloverDined on 7/9/2014Service was outstanding ,very attentive and accomodatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vaut le détour!VeterinetDined on 7/9/2014Très bonne table et prix convenable pour la qualité. Belle carte des vins mais un peu dispendieuses.Special Features:
- Goodfood2tasteDined on 7/8/2014I was very pleased with the service, they moved us to a quite spot, because we were sat next to a large family that were also celebrating but not for romantic reasons. Once we were moved the atmosphere and the service was impeccable, I would recommend to any one for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Excellent service and food was fantastic. Staff very helpful with reservation change and helped make for an even more wonderful evening. Ordered 5 course Chefs choice with wine pairing....next time we would choose the 7 course for sure ! A must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overdone entreesQkslvrDined on 7/3/2014Our service was excellent. Everyone in our party ordered halibut as their entree. For the price we paid it was overdone and, we had requested specifically that is wouldn't be. We've ordered halibut all over the world. For the restaurant rated " Best in Canada ", this should not happen.Special Features:
- World ClasspartridgepegVIPDined on 7/3/2014St. John's now has a World Class restaurant. The dining scene in St. John's has exploded with all kind of places and a great variety of cuisines, but Raymond's has no peer. This is the kind of place you go when nothing but the best will do because you deserve it. You will find a restaurant like this (if you are lucky) in San Francisco, New York, New Orleans and many other cities around the world, but you will only find a few. Some say that Raymond's is expensive, but if you came all the way to Newfoundland why would you skip an opportunity for one of the best dining experiences you will ever have?Special Features:
- Memorable Eveningluv2dineinstyleDined on 7/3/2014My husband and I dined at Raymonds recently to celebrate my sister and brother's birthdays. It was a unique and casually elegant dining experience with an emphasis on locally secured ingredients prepared to perfection. We all enjoyed the exquisite tasting menu with each course introduced capably by our server. Each dish was presented creatively by a team of talented and professional staff. Raymonds exceeded our expectations and lived up to its reputation as the best restaurant in St. John's. We will return on our next visit to this beautiful city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as it getsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014an awesome dining experience, excellent service and absolutely delicious food.... the scallop appetizer and the rock cod were superb....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable and interestingGtbsamDined on 7/1/2014The chef's tasting menu was very interesting and very enjoyable. The wine pairing choices were ok and would not do that again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!CanadadayDined on 7/1/2014The most enjoyable dining experience we've had in along time. The food was scrumptious. Could not rave enough about the flavours! Our server was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.