95 Water Street
Saint John's, NF A1C1A5Neighborhood:
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.raymondsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (709) 579-5800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm -9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary European
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Raymonds
Living in Newfoundland and Labrador, we’re blessed in having access to some of the best seafood, meat, and produce in the world. Having such a bountiful larder right on our doorsteps means we’re able to adopt a truly sustainable approach to fine dining – sourcing locally-grown ingredients and getting to know independent purveyors. We've made every effort to make dining at Raymonds a unique and rare treat. Visit us at 95 Water Street in the heart of downtown St. John’s. Our dinner menu, prepared by head chef Jeremy Charles, is inspired by rustic Atlantic Canadian cuisine. It features authentic dishes that take advantage of Newfoundland and Labrador’s rich variety of seafood, wild game, berries and vegetables, while also exploring innovative, 'haute cuisine' ingredient combinations and finishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Raymonds - Best Restaurants in St. John's ›
Raymonds reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (128)fit for foodies (109)notable wine list (96)romantic (93)scenic view (59)good for groups (35)hot spot (25)neighborhood gem (20)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (3)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/25/2014The food and service was outstanding as always! We sat at the bar and the bartender took very good care of us. Overall another great experience at Raymonds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had the 7 course tasting menu which was delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2014We had the 7 course tasting menu which was delicious! However, it seems like they forgot about our table because there were 2 other tables that were having the same menu and we were always being served at the same time as them. But then, after the 4th course, they got their 5th AND 6th before we got the 5th! Which was too bad because up until then, everything was perfect. The wine pairings are wonderful and their wine list is impressive and excellent quality. All in all, still a great experience, but a tiny disappointment about the delay in getting us our 5th course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World ClassDaleDined on 11/15/2014The tasting menu and wine pairings were excellent: the food and combinations were tasty; the presentation and platings were creative not kitchy; the service was professional, knowledgeable and friendly. Although we had recently dined in Michelin star restaurant in NY and one of the countries best in NOLA, and some other notable spots, Raymonds topped them all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect because of attention to detailgrideoutDined on 11/15/2014Service is impeccable, and staff are extremely knowledgeable and passionate about the menu offerings. One gets the feeling that the staff are fans of the chef. The ambience is very elegant, and nothing is overdone. The food is interesting, of high quality, and nicely presented. I lucked into a braised moose and root vegetable sauce pasta appetizer special that was memorable. The tenderloin was a three-inch thick slice of heaven. My wife had the duck, which was brilliant - it's testament to the quality of the tenderloin that I didn't regret my order after tasting hers! I'm not a wine guy, so I was relieved at the nice list of beers - the Brooklyn IPA was a nice pairing with my meat dishes. It's great to have an experience where caring, well-trained people make sure that everything is done right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cspinDined on 11/13/2014Service was outstanding and the servers very attentive. Appetizers were fabulous and mains very well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestDrodgeDined on 11/7/2014To echo the comments by some of the worlds top chefs and critics - Raymonds is one of the best, if not THE best, restaurant in the World.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!WonderfoodDined on 11/4/2014For a totally different dining experience from the attention to the small details from your server, or servers, the chefs & the great knowledge of which wines taste great with which food you have chosen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent from start to finishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014Our lovely meal experience at Raymonds began with the server's check-in to determine our dietary needs. Once we established that one did not consume red meat, we were treated to a tasty small appetizer - on the house. I tried the pasta with moose meat. It was delicious. We both ordered the arctic char - what a treat! Although pricey, the food is delicious. Thanks!!Special Features:
- Amazingkmkcjr14Dined on 10/31/2014we did the tasting menu and every course was better than before. Moose was beyond belief. Great service...only issue was spotlight from the harbour(but well worth it!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurant but not best @ CateroldegoDined on 10/31/2014food was very good. but not outstanding. I had the 7 courses and it was a lot. the wine pairing disappointing, 3 of the same white grapes to start(champagne blanc de blanc, bourgogne, napa), a little more imagination and excitment.the reds ok and for what was charged way to expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionLittleBlueDogDined on 10/29/2014My meal at Raymond's was one of the best culinary experiences I have had all year! I love food and I have been lucky to eat at great restaurants across North America and Europe. Raymond's was simply perfection. The food, the service, and the setting were all world-class. I would return to St. John's just to dine at Raymond's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So pleased we chose to eat here!goodlifeDined on 10/25/2014Our expectations were already very high, and not only were we pleased but the dining experience exceeded our expectations! They can offer a tasting menu for a group that accomodates everyone's food restrictions without restricting the pleasure. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food exceptional, service mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014The food was really good and the server was fantastic. But the wine pairing left us wanting more. The sommelier was knowledgeable but our glasses were empty for longer than they have been full. We expected a lot more from Canada's best!!Special Features:
- FineatsrusDined on 10/23/2014Recommended by a food critic as a meal of a lifetime . Scepticism was erased at the first course . Agree meal of a lifetime and exceptional service . Only problem is its 41/2 time zones away !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CathyDined on 10/22/2014Delicious food and beautiful building. I really enjoyed my dinner and dessert fo chocolate tart was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raymonds was a treatvirtualgrannieDined on 10/18/2014We were given a gift certificate to Raymonds for our wedding by my aunt. We were very excited as we had been there once before and the food was excellent. We weren't disappointed the second time around, it was a wonderful experience. The food was terrific, as was the service. The only reason I have given it four stars out of five is because five stars represent perfection and that is an elusive and slippery state! We had a wonderful evening and will recommend this restaurant to anyone who will listen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A savory treat for the tastebudshappy2eatDined on 10/18/2014The attention to detail and the exquisite food makes it easy to see why Raymonds is one of the top restaurants in Canada.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlanGoodDined on 10/15/2014Disappointed there was a long gap of about 30 minutes after appetizers with absolutely no service. Eventually managed to flag down server but would have enjoyed another glass of wine while speaking with my guest without not have to keep my eyes open for some service.Special Features:
- BrilliantFoodieDined on 10/14/2014This was by far the best meal and service I've had at a restaurant.Special Features:
- WOW!dennyDined on 10/14/2014We really thought it was one of the best experiences at a restaurant we have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St. John's gemmettlemetalDined on 10/14/2014Fantastic experience. Service was top notch. The food was imaginative but stayed true to Newfoundland's heart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Outstanding! The food was delicious...the wines we're fittingly matched with each course. Highly recommend this as the Finest of fine dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A PleasureYumOnaPlateDined on 10/11/2014This was our 2nd dining experience at Raymonds; again they did not disappoint. Very accommodating to food preferences, provided amazing spread, every item was made up of more pieces they you would have imagined. Every bite was a taste bud adventure. Service was excellent; not overbearing or hovering but there always when you needed it. I see this as a one or two times a year place as prices are high, but no complaints about what you receive for what you pay. Ordered the 7-course tasting menu. Delicious and definitely worth it. Opted for a la carte pairing of wines rather than the full wine paring. Worked for us and likely a better price point. Depends on your affinity for the grape. Looking forward to our next visit! Great job!Special Features:
- Raymonds deserves the hypesbbbDined on 10/9/2014Raymonds deserves all the praise it has recently received. One of Canada's finest restaurants.Special Features:
- No luxury for restricted dietsFoodTouristaDined on 10/9/2014Two diners in party - one w/o restrictions, and myself. I have Chron's Disease, and have trouble digesting animal and myco (mushroom) proteins. When we made our reservations a month in advance, I described this to the restaurant as a vegan diet with fungus allergy, the easiest way to explain my restrictions. With so much advance notice at a restaurant with Raymond's reputation, the meal should have been outstanding. Instead, I got "vegan charcuterie" (a plate of pickles) for the same price as real charcuterie, and a small variety of bland cooked vegetables. This was far from a last minute request. Raymond's offering spanks of a kitchen heavily dependent on fine ingredients with zero creativity behind them. Find your luxury elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great night outOprimeDined on 10/8/2014We had the 7 course meal with wine tasting. All courses were delicious and each accompanying wine was expertly chosen. The explanations of each dish and each wine was thorough.Special Features:
- Best restaurant ever!CookiemonsterDined on 10/3/2014Been to Raymond's several times and it just seems to keep getting better. Been to all the "fancy" restaurants in the city and there is absolutely no comparison. The food is remarkable, and service second to none. If you haven't tried Raymond's yet, it's your loss!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A rare experienceTallischolarDined on 10/3/2014We read the Globe's hailing of Raymond's as Canada's best. The food was a marvel, the wine pairings revealing and the staff engaging and knowledgable. The prices are punishing for many, although not the lawyerly/sleveen crowd. Or for the couple we talked to who had flown up from New York to eat there. They loved it too, and unexpectedly didn't mind saying so, having been "life-alteringly affected", as one said, by how friendly and helpful were the livyers. The New Newfoundland economy, with income inequality reminiscent of Water Street Merchants times, can support $600+ dinners for two. It makes for a treat if you can save up for it. And given the emphasis on local ingredients, just view it as a matter of income redistribution.Special Features:
- Raymond'sWhitbyDined on 10/3/2014The food was exceptionally tasty and delicious. The waiter we had didn't smile once, wasn't very friendly at all. The noise level in the restaurant was very high. Restaurant beautifully decorated. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finest in St. John'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/2/2014On our first evening in St. John's, we dined at Raymond's. The food is incredible - much of it locally sourced. Fresh. Delicious. Unique! Elegant atmosphere - perfect for a special occasion or fine dining experience.Special Features:
- AmazingIncredibleDined on 9/30/2014Raymond's really lives up to its recent commendations; I believe this is truly the best dining experience in all of Canada. The food was incredibly detailed, cooked perfectly and was brought to our table with near perfect timing. The service was top notch, our server was knowledgable, polite and courteous. The atmosphere/interior of the restaurant was exquisite, cozy and inviting, attention was paid to ambient lighting with subtle music, further enhancing the experience. For special occaisions, I would highly recommend Raymond's.Special Features:
- 69FoodieDined on 9/30/2014Great food and ambiance along with helpful and courteous staff. Read about the restaurant and wonderful chef in the Globe and Mail and we specifically decided to try it out while on vacation in the Atlantic provinces. The article and our experience were completely in sync.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dolizDined on 9/30/2014We really enjoyed our Raymond's experience. From the moment we walked through the front door to the time we departed, friendly and conscientious service, awesome food, appropriate portions and wonderful atmosphere. We did not opt for the tasting menu, but we would recommend for someone wishing to sample more menu and off menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in Canada? Yes!Theu999Dined on 9/20/2014My expectations for this restaurant were very high since I had heard it was the best restaurant in Canada. While you do pay for what you get, the freshness and the quality of the food is impeccable. They serve somewhat traditional french fare without any extravagance, but it is superbly done with every detail covered. The server and the somelière were very pleasant and very helpful. The only criticism I would have would be the greating. It was a little awkward. That being said, I did get there well before my reservation expecting to take a seat at the bar for a cocktail before my meal, but all the seats were taken. Overall a wonderful experience. I recommend this restaurant to anyone with deep enough pockets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnCDined on 9/20/2014We dined on a Saturday night and the place was hopping. The food, especially starters and mains, was exceptional. The wine list was huge and Jeremy did a great job of suggesting wine pairings. The service was polished and friendly - no attitude! The noise level was very loud but otherwise it was an outstanding evening. Would love to return and highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disapointing experienceluvtodinebutnotatRaymondsDined on 9/18/2014We had expected a rating of number one in Canada to provide a premier dining experience. While the presentation was beautiful the oysters were disappointing as they were very small. My rib eye (aged for 45 days) was served almost blue while I had ordered medium/rare and was extremely gristly. Our server was brusque to the point of rudeness. I have dined in many five star restaurants and do not mind paying the kind of prices that Raymond's charges but I do expect that I will receive value in kind. The answer to question 2 above is that from our experience I will recommend that anyone traveling to St. John's avoid Raymond's
- An experience.NotafoodieDined on 9/18/2014We really enjoyed the 5 course meal, in that we could sit back and be surprised by what the chef chose to make us. The first course was brought to us on a plate that was a log. It looked fantastic. I took a picture! The food was special in that it was a variety of food we wouldn't have been able to try ordering an entree. I was slightly disappointed when I ordered the wine pairing for $65. I was served less than a 1/4 glass with each course and when I didn't like one and asked for it to be replaced with an alternative wine, it wasn't replaced or commented on. I understand it is a 'fancy' place, but for a $400 meal I expect above and beyond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingoctavioDined on 9/17/2014Easily the best restaurant in the province. We savored each bite to appreciate the incredible & subtle flavors of every dish. We highly recommend the wine pairings chosen by the sommelier, each glass really did go together very well with the food and was reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Best Dining Experience EverSupermanDined on 9/16/2014The food was exceptional, the service impeccable, the atmosphere warm and inviting and I felt I was in a special place. I wish I could eat here everyday. Looking forward to my next visit to St John for another enjoyable and satisfying dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't WaitSLDJDined on 9/12/2014We were coming to St. John's for a vacation and heard about Raymond's before we left. Our daughter said you need to go there and booked it for us before we left. It was so wonderful; the service was top notch and the food was so tasty. We choice not to do wine pairing which was fine. We did find if you wanted to have just a glass of wine it was pricey in our mind. Not a lot of choices of salads. All in all a great choice and would highly recommend Raymond's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.